Blowout Cards Forums
2018 Bargain

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Sports & Politics

Notices

Sports & Politics This section is for all political sports talk. Regrettably we feel that in some instances there is no way to eliminate politics from football, basketball, and baseball hobbytalk. Do you pretend nothing is happening with the Warriors, Steelers, A's, etc? This section is for all political sports discussion. However, it is for civil discussion only. No insults aimed at members, political parties, or politicians will be tolerated. There is no warning. If you cannot be civil, you will lose your posting privileges on this site.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #26
possom813
Member
 
possom813's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cayuga, TX
Posts: 2,146
Default

I graduated from high school about 20 years ago. I graduated in a town that was severely racially divided after a black man was beaten to death by a white police officer. To this day it's still pretty divided.

In 8th grade, I would have loved for no one to have guns. That's when the incident above occurred and fights at school were an everyday thing. I was fortunate, for the most part, us band nerds weren't bothered by race or folks wanting to fight. Unfortunately, the riot that broke out while I was walking through the outside lunch area got me caught up in it. The officers showed up with beanbag guns, those little sob's will make you see God. I took one in the right thigh.

I didn't blame the gun, nor the rioters, I blamed the a-hole with a beanbag gun...as I lay there completely sure I'd never walk again. First words I recall saying when adults got to me, "Why'd he shoot me"?

With all of this going on throughout my young adult years, I still remember everyone trying to make the best of it. We still had rifles and shotguns in our truck windows, at school and still carried knives on our belts and in our pockets.

Fighting every day, tensions so thick it was unreal, guns and knives everywhere...no one was shot or stabbed.

Our school also openly talked about hunting seasons opening days, guns we're saving up for, the best knife for the occasion, and other issues that are frowned upon today in schools.



So what changed? Yep, mental illness is thrown out quite often. I'm sure a couple of the guys that were with us on the dove opener were crazy, but we took them with us anyway and taught them how to hunt and use their guns. My 1st girlfriend was bat-s*** crazy, but she never shot me, and she was out hunting with me on a weekly basis...she did hit me with a graphite spinning rod that shattered and got pieces stuck in my neck.

I see it in this light...just like with a toddler. When you take something away and make it an item of interest, everyone wants it but no one knows what it is. I mean heck, I still want the rest of the Triforce, but I have no idea what's going to happen when I get it.

An end-all solution isn't viable, not yet. But taking 10 minutes a day, or even a week, to speak about guns and how they're nothing more than tools and how they work might help. I had entire classes to teach me about woodworking tools and auto shop. Remove the stigma from firearms as being something great and reduce them back down to just a tool and actually teach kids about them. Maybe they're more apt to get it in their heads that guns aren't incessantly evil, just tools.


Anyways, those are my thoughts. I don't know if it would work, but I know this outright ban that the demonstrators are going for won't work. I can't see anyone giving up their guns as long as criminals have guns and knives.


And my final little bit. My 10 year old daughter was playing with matches when she thought no one was looking. She caught the guest bathroom on fire(not major) and luckily I keep fire extinguishers in every room and have showed both ankle biters how they work, so the house was saved. But, she wanted to know about fire and how it worked. So I spent a day with her in the pasture when we were burning brush and showed her how a single match could quickly turn into a bonfire. We had a half-dozen brush piles to burn that day. She got to set the rest of them off while we talked about how destructive fire is.


Ray Wylie Hubbard put it in a song awhile back, "Instead of showin' 'em what to do what's right, they just hit 'em for what they did"

Last edited by possom813; 03-26-2018 at 08:30 AM.
possom813 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #27
chilly55
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dumfries, Va
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
Maybe, just maybe it's a cultural, parenting problem. People are quick to blame guns but don't blame the parents. If America didn't have this, everybody is a winner, anti-discipline, mentality maybe we wouldn't have such issues. God forbid you actually discipline your child or actually parent them, it's like taboo now.
BOOM! This right here is a big part of the problem. Young children/adults have no clue what consequences their actions have because when they were brought up, mommy & daddy let them get away with everything. It's OK Johnny, just don't do that again. Give mommy a hug.

Awesome parenting right there. Taught that child so much. Then Johnny does it again. Then Johnny takes it a little further, pushing the envelope. And then Johnny keeps pushing the envelope until Johnny realizes at an early age that no matter what he does, the worst discipline he'll get is being either yelled at to stop, or given a hug.

Then when Johnny doesn't get his way, because all through his childhood he did, he throws a tantrum as an adult. And because he didn't get his way, he has no clue how to deal with adversity, or losing, or being told no that Johnny takes out his anger with violence. He has to vent somehow because he was never taught any discipline and/or how to deal with the word NO. So we end up with violence in schools because these kids were never disciplined and taught that actions have consequences.

Typical today to blame everyone/everything else but the parents for their crappy parenting skills. You know why? Because today's parents were disciplined when they were young and said I'm not going to spank my kids, because they remember being spanked as a child. Well guess what, that spanking kept you in check, didn't it? It did me and my brother and neither of my kids grew up to be snowflakes/cry babies, or whatever. I put the fear of God into my kids at an early age, just like my parents did to me, and both my kids (22 & 17) and turned out just fine.

Today's parents need to step up to the plate and teach their kids that if they tell mommy to shut up, mommy will pop them in their mouth. That if they throw a tantrum at the store, that a whack on the butt will be coming. And once that child figures out that their is a reaction to their actions, they learn to not try that again.

Guns don't pull the trigger, Knives don't stab, bombs don't arm themselves, fists don't punch and weapons don't trigger themselves, PEOPLE DO!

My 1/2 cent.
chilly55 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #28
zachtruitt
Member
 
zachtruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,314
Default

March against abortion if you feel against it. These kids marched for something they believed in. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing the same.
__________________
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale
zachtruitt is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #29
NeedChapmans
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
March against abortion if you feel against it. These kids marched for something they believed in. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing the same.
5x the number of people that marched this weekend do that every single year. It's called the March for Life. The real one. You may not have heard of it because the media gives it zero coverage, but it's the largest march in the country every single year.

Always enjoy watching kids speak at a march wearing the Cuban flag. Also enjoy listening to rappers who were arrested for a gun charge last year sing at the march too.

Quality list right there.
__________________
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #30
pingbling23
Member
 
pingbling23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
March against abortion if you feel against it. These kids marched for something they believed in. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing the same.
We’re disgusted that ultra liberal teachers and media are using these kids as pawns. The majority of these kids have no clue.
pingbling23 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #31
NeedChapmans
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
We’re disgusted that ultra liberal teachers and media are using these kids as pawns. The majority of these kids have no clue.
Some of the kids are doing their part as well. David Hogg / Emma Gonzalez / Cameron Kasky ... non-stop wall to wall interviews and coverage.

Kyle Kashuv / Hunter Pollack; meetings with the Senate, the House, the President ... absolutely no coverage whatsoever.

Guess the difference between the two sets!
__________________
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 10:25 AM   #32
jcardstore
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
March against abortion if you feel against it. These kids marched for something they believed in. Nothing is stopping anyone from doing the same.
They "believe" in it because it's a false narrative that's been shoved down their throats.

Guns aren't the problem, our toxic culture is the problem. It's perpetuated by both sides of the media but nobody wants to talk about that, we're just conditioned to blame everyone and everything else.

A divided people are easy to conquer, and the mass media does a fantastic job of that. If people learned how to think for themselves instead of just regurgitating what they see on TV we'd all be much better off.
__________________
I might die from all these chains choking me in my sleep
jcardstore is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #33
silverandblack
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Some of the kids are doing their part as well. David Hogg / Emma Gonzalez / Cameron Kasky ... non-stop wall to wall interviews and coverage.

Kyle Kashuv / Hunter Pollack; meetings with the Senate, the House, the President ... absolutely no coverage whatsoever.

Guess the difference between the two sets!

I was going to say this exact thing. There are kids out there actually doing things and getting legislation put through yet because they are conservative kids they aren't getting the coverage of the kids who are doing nothing aside from shouting into a microphone.

It's pretty disgusting how the media operates when it comes to different sides
silverandblack is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 PM   #34
Halbert
Member
 
Halbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 5,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
...our toxic culture is the problem.
Amen.
__________________
Who wants that honey?
Halbert is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #35
Wade Mulroy
Member
 
Wade Mulroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Imperial, MO
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
5x the number of people that marched this weekend do that every single year. It's called the March for Life. The real one. You may not have heard of it because the media gives it zero coverage, but it's the largest march in the country every single year.

Always enjoy watching kids speak at a march wearing the Cuban flag. Also enjoy listening to rappers who were arrested for a gun charge last year sing at the march too.

Quality list right there.
I feel like NeedChapmans is Blowouts equivalent to Ben Shapiro... Educated thoughts backed by facts and leaves emotion out of it. Anytime I'm about to give my opinion on threads like this, you generally have already covered it
Wade Mulroy is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #36
jdandns
Member
 
jdandns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: California, where begins the shining sea.
Posts: 6,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesportscards View Post
Funny how none of them march for unborn children...
I think these kinds of posts are made specifically in the hopes of getting the thread deleted.

I wonder why.
__________________
And perhaps across his mind, there'll flit a little errant wish, that a man might not have to become old, never outgrow the parks and the merry-go-rounds of his youth.
jdandns is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:24 PM   #37
Wade Mulroy
Member
 
Wade Mulroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Imperial, MO
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
I think these kinds of posts are made specifically in the hopes of getting the thread deleted.

I wonder why.
...Or it's simply a counter-argument that exposes the hypocrisy of this situation.
Wade Mulroy is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #38
NeedChapmans
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
I think these kinds of posts are made specifically in the hopes of getting the thread deleted.

I wonder why.
No, it's made specifically to highlight the hypocrisy within the media as well as with the vast majority of marchers this weekend.

How can someone justify marching in a rally of this nature, and in the same breath, defend the practice of abortion? If life is valuable, then it's valuable. If it isn't, then it isn't. Why do these kids have the right to go March on Washington to demand change? How can a society say this child is not valuable, but this one is, and should be heard, and has rights?

The problem I have here is not that different people have different opinions; I think debate is very healthy for progress. My problem here is that one side is nearly 100% of the conversation and things like "My life is worth $1.05 to Marco Rubio" is a surefire way to ensure progress becomes (or remains) an impossibility.

March what you want to march for; no one is stopping you. Creating this thread w/ a picture of Bill Russell and marking him as a Champion because he held up a piece of paper is absurd.
__________________
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #39
NeedChapmans
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mulroy View Post
I feel like NeedChapmans is Blowouts equivalent to Ben Shapiro... Educated thoughts backed by facts and leaves emotion out of it. Anytime I'm about to give my opinion on threads like this, you generally have already covered it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mulroy View Post
...Or it's simply a counter-argument that exposes the hypocrisy of this situation.
See. I would have done it again but I rambled a bit further. Beat me by a minute.

(And thank you for the comparison to Shapiro. Nicest thing someone has said to me all week! (But it's still early Monday))
__________________
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #40
zachtruitt
Member
 
zachtruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,314
Default

Ben Shapiro/Laura Ingraham =good. Emma Gonzalez and "kids manipulated by the media" = bad. Got it.
__________________
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale
zachtruitt is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM   #41
Wade Mulroy
Member
 
Wade Mulroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Imperial, MO
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
Ben Shapiro/Laura Ingraham =good. Emma Gonzalez and "kids manipulated by the media" = bad. Got it.
Ben Shapiro - I never stated he was good. I don't even agree with all of his conclusions... The point I was trying to make is that he supports his arguments with grounded reasoning and facts and not emotion, which is very rare to find. It makes it impossible to have any kind of reasonable discussion on any issues if one party simply refuses to give any support or evidence for their argument. I'm a firm believer in functional conflict and enjoy hearing opinions and arguments that differ from mine, but its extremely frustrating to read/hear people spout nonsense with no foundation

Laura Ingraham - Was she mentioned? If so, I missed that reference

Emma Gonzalez - Similar to my first point... I don't have any ill feelings towards anyone that has a different opinion than I do; all I ask is they are able to support those opinions and are willing to listen and consider a counter-argument

Kids manipulated by the media - Anyone manipulated by the media is bad in my book... Those are people that only make problems worse as opposed to working towards solutions. That goes for both sides, by the way.
Wade Mulroy is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #42
NeedChapmans
Member
 
NeedChapmans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 21,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
Ben Shapiro/Laura Ingraham =good. Emma Gonzalez and "kids manipulated by the media" = bad. Got it.
Yea you have it. Just make sure you don't give it to me.

Emma Gonzalez. 17 year old kid who six weeks ago was just a kid going to school; is now a voice of reason on changing 250 years worth of the Constitution. The girl who is proud to wear the flag of Cuba is the one we're supposed to listen to about human rights, because she's on TV 24/7.
__________________
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #43
jcardstore
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 8,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
Ben Shapiro/Laura Ingraham =good. Emma Gonzalez and "kids manipulated by the media" = bad. Got it.
This is a prime example of the toxicity created by the media. Nobody here said any of those things or even implied them, but because someone has a different opinion than you do, you immediately dismiss them and misrepresent what they said without any attempt at constructive debate.
__________________
I might die from all these chains choking me in my sleep
jcardstore is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #44
pingbling23
Member
 
pingbling23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,575
Default

I imagine bill Russell is a supporter of going armed. He was arrested carrying a loaded firearm in an airport.
pingbling23 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #45
zachtruitt
Member
 
zachtruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
Yea you have it. Just make sure you don't give it to me.

Emma Gonzalez. 17 year old kid who six weeks ago was just a kid going to school; is now a voice of reason on changing 250 years worth of the Constitution. The girl who is proud to wear the flag of Cuba is the one we're supposed to listen to about human rights, because she's on TV 24/7.
So this isn't a criticism or dismissal of her and her views? She's Cuban-American and wore the flag for her personal reasons. She is 17 and has done more for her beliefs already than most do in a lifetime.

Lauren Ingraham was a reference to her comments last week about athletes having political opinions. Although she does like/support athletes who endorse her beliefs so I guess she has it both ways.
__________________
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale
zachtruitt is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #46
zachtruitt
Member
 
zachtruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,314
Default

I disagree with Ben Shapiro and don't see his appeal.

Who says all this is based on emotion? Facts are that kids shouldn't be killed while in school. They are doing what they believe is right and have used a tragedy to potentially save others. The NRA is trying to stop them. We will see who was right.

Remember these "17 year old kids" are voting REALLY soon. Doesn't look good for those in power.
__________________
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale
zachtruitt is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #47
rman112
Member
 
rman112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Svenborgia
Posts: 10,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
I disagree with Ben Shapiro and don't see his appeal.

Who says all this is based on emotion? Facts are that kids shouldn't be killed while in school. They are doing what they believe is right and have used a tragedy to potentially save others. The NRA is trying to stop them. We will see who was right.

Remember these "17 year old kids" are voting REALLY soon. Doesn't look good for those in power.
I mean, technically.. that's not a fact.

Who says these kids will even vote or that they even actually care?
rman112 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #48
zachtruitt
Member
 
zachtruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
I mean, technically.. that's not a fact.

Who says these kids will even vote or that they even actually care?
You got me. Kids SHOULD be killed in school.

I wouldn't bet on Rubio cruising to victory in Florida in November but I could be wrong.
__________________
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale
zachtruitt is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #49
rman112
Member
 
rman112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Svenborgia
Posts: 10,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachtruitt View Post
You got me. Kids SHOULD be killed in school.

I wouldn't bet on Rubio cruising to victory in Florida in November but I could be wrong.
No.

A fact is " _____ happened", or "_____ did not happen", etc.

Should/should not is not a fact.
rman112 is offline  
Old 03-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #50
zachtruitt
Member
 
zachtruitt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,314
Default

Thank you, Captain Pedantic.
__________________
Interested in Orioles HOFers and current O's. Oakland Raiders HOFers along with Rich Gannon. I am always looking for any Eastern Shore League (1920's to 1947) baseball memorabilia, please PM if you know of any for sale
zachtruitt is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.