Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risquť images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #76
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 19,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
And yet no actual sanctions against the school yet from ncaa
Yet, has to be something coming
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #77
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Yet, has to be something coming
Kick all of their programs out of Big Ten and replace them with Notre Dame
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #78
Josh611
Member
 
Josh611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
$500M settlement
Ends up being $1.28M per victim. They are setting $75M aside for future people who come forward. I'm sure even more will come forward now that they know money is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
Kick all of their programs out of Big Ten and replace them with Notre Dame
I'm pretty sure they could have been in the Big Ten if they really wanted to.
__________________
Josh611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #79
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh611 View Post
Ends up being $1.28M per victim. They are setting $75M aside for future people who come forward. I'm sure even more will come forward now that they know money is involved.



I'm pretty sure they could have been in the Big Ten if they really wanted to.
No doubt more will come. I still put quite a bit of blame on all the gymnasts that it was able to go on for 5 years.

NCAA needs to just blackball Notre Dame from any playoffs and dock their football ranking until they finally join a conference
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #80
hairysasquatch
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In the Woods, Central NY
Posts: 11,148
Default

Is that coming out of the endowment? Michigan taxpayers on the hook?
__________________
"The single most inessential member of this entire forum" - pazerbaijan, October 7, 2018
hairysasquatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #81
Scottish Punk
Member
 
Scottish Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 3,101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Is that coming out of the endowment? Michigan taxpayers on the hook?
I read that MSU has reserves of just north of 1 billion. They are also looking at a tuition hike. The tuition hike is obviously a PR nightmare and a really bad idea, but it does seem likely. The prudent thing would be delay/cancel upcoming projects that the reserve money was earmarked for and suck it up.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #82
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
I read that MSU has reserves of just north of 1 billion. They are also looking at a tuition hike. The tuition hike is obviously a PR nightmare and a really bad idea, but it does seem likely. The prudent thing would be delay/cancel upcoming projects that the reserve money was earmarked for and suck it up.
Pass it to the students and then let them picket outside the president and AD and get them canned, then turn to the coaches, and then they try to kill the sports programs. Fine by me
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #83
Scottish Punk
Member
 
Scottish Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 3,101
Default

I still don't see any reason to punish the other sports programs. They aren't related to the Nasser mess. The gymnastic program should be toast, president and AD (and anybody else who can be proved they knew what was going on), and of course the monetary settlements. Izzo/BBall and Dantonio/FBall aren't directly tied to any of this.

"Burn the whole thing down" is a very understandable emotional response. It isn't one to base punishment on.

edit: You could "punish" the football/basketball programs by using some of the Athletic budget to fund the settlements. That would make sense to me. All athletic teams will have to cut back on spending in the short term to pay for this. Taking scholarships away doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Scottish Punk; 05-16-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #84
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
I still don't see any reason to punish the other sports programs. They aren't related to the Nasser mess. The gymnastic program should be toast, president and AD (and anybody else who can be proved they knew what was going on), and of course the monetary settlements. Izzo/BBall and Dantonio/FBall aren't directly tied to any of this.

"Burn the whole thing down" is a very understandable emotional response. It isn't one to base punishment on.
Never underestimate how stupid and emotional brainwashed college kids can be. Even at Minnesota there was a big coalition of students wanting to shut down the football program over the whole cheerleader allegation without proof a couple years ago, pretty likely there's chunk of people wanting all of MSU sports shut down
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:38 PM   #85
Brobocop
Member
 
Brobocop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
No doubt more will come. I still put quite a bit of blame on all the gymnasts that it was able to go on for 5 years.

NCAA needs to just blackball Notre Dame from any playoffs and dock their football ranking until they finally join a conference
Wait, when you say you blame the gymansts are you saying you blame the women who came forward to tell their story?
Brobocop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #86
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobocop View Post
Wait, when you say you blame the gymansts are you saying you blame the women who came forward to tell their story?
No, I blame them collectively for waiting 5 years to come forward as enabling it to keep going
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #87
gopherfan
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 1,528
Default

Serious? I thought it was reported and swept under the rug forever.

Also, didn’t the football and basketball teams have multiple offenders? Also basically swept under the rug by Izzo and Dantoni?
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #88
hairysasquatch
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In the Woods, Central NY
Posts: 11,148
Default

If a tuition hike is tied to this...well, the consultant who recommended that will never work again in higher ed.

Come to MSU - help us pay off victims of a criminal sex offender!
__________________
"The single most inessential member of this entire forum" - pazerbaijan, October 7, 2018
hairysasquatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #89
coachnip13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Siesta Key, FL
Posts: 2,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
No, I blame them collectively for waiting 5 years to come forward as enabling it to keep going
Oh my.

Rule of thumb...don't ever blame the victim of sexual abuse. Ever.
coachnip13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #90
Bowman1951
Member
 
Bowman1951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Woburn, MA
Posts: 1,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish Punk View Post
I read that MSU has reserves of just north of 1 billion. They are also looking at a tuition hike. The tuition hike is obviously a PR nightmare and a really bad idea, but it does seem likely. The prudent thing would be delay/cancel upcoming projects that the reserve money was earmarked for and suck it up.
I'm not finding anything about a tuition hike at all. They have an endowment of $3B but that won't be touched. Much of it will be covered by an insurance policy, that's why those exist. Whether someone slipping on a sidewalk or hiring child rapist's.....it's there to pay lawsuits. The rest may come from the state itself in the form of tax money that isn't covered by insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
No, I blame them collectively for waiting 5 years to come forward as enabling it to keep going
Wow, people still actually think like you? That's a horrible thing to say, especially since it's not even remotely true. Since you seem incredibly ignorant about ANYTHING related to the case, I ask that you read this.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...nastics-me-too
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:09 PM   #91
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
I'm not finding anything about a tuition hike at all. They have an endowment of $3B but that won't be touched. Much of it will be covered by an insurance policy, that's why those exist. Whether someone slipping on a sidewalk or hiring child rapist's.....it's there to pay lawsuits. The rest may come from the state itself in the form of tax money that isn't covered by insurance.

Wow, people still actually think like you? That's a horrible thing to say, especially since it's not even remotely true. Since you seem incredibly ignorant about ANYTHING related to the case, I ask that you read this.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...nastics-me-too
Vox, such a credible site that it's one of the 4 that the racism simulator extension uses. That's just one example of something that was 16 years old when it finally reported. And another from 1997. It's still up to the girls and their families to escalate it high enough to get recorded, or just out it to the media and they'd have run with it 5 years ago

Quote:
The Indianapolis Star deserves a lot of the credit for the fact that Nassar eventually faced justice: A 2016 investigation into abuse in USA Gymnastics helped inspire Rachael Denhollander, a former gymnast, to file a police report against Nassar, saying he sexually assaulted her in 2000, when she was 15. Soon more men began to come forward. Nassar was fired by Michigan State in September 2016 and was charged with criminal sexual abuse in November of that year.
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:11 PM   #92
hairysasquatch
Member
 
hairysasquatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: In the Woods, Central NY
Posts: 11,148
Default

Detroit papers reported the proposed tuition hike when the story on the settlement broke. There's no way they're going to have an insurance company pay this off - they'll never be able to get insurance again. Hopefully they will cast a broader net in their search for new leadership this time instead of letting an insider numbskull careerist float up the ranks of bureaucratic incompetence like last time. And then just hang onto power for dear life down to the very end.
__________________
"The single most inessential member of this entire forum" - pazerbaijan, October 7, 2018
hairysasquatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:15 AM   #93
HBMC
Member
 
HBMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 15,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Detroit papers reported the proposed tuition hike when the story on the settlement broke. There's no way they're going to have an insurance company pay this off - they'll never be able to get insurance again. Hopefully they will cast a broader net in their search for new leadership this time instead of letting an insider numbskull careerist float up the ranks of bureaucratic incompetence like last time. And then just hang onto power for dear life down to the very end.
It would depend on whether MSU has the proper coverages. Companies have their limits and having that high of a level of Excess on something like a Sexual/Physical abuse sub-limit wouldn't be normal. Without knowing how their policy (or scads of policies, which is very likely for a University of this size) reads I would suspect you're right about payouts.

If it is layered, a lot of the high excess carriers may not be happy about having their layers pierced (I'm talking at least $75m-$100m in excess of the primary layers, which most huge companies employ and higher).
__________________
I PC: Dallas Cowboys Arkansas Razorbacks StL Cards KC Chiefs
Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick and Zack Martin PC'er
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:59 AM   #94
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 19,037
Default

Not Nassar or student related but...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/05...nd-report.html
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:50 AM   #95
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 24,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Not Nassar or student related but...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/05...nd-report.html
Strange people out there if true. How do they know he did this though? Maybe Iím blind or slipped over the proof. Was he on video or something? Who accused him? Dogs canít speak up for themselves. Poor pup is now part of the #metoo movement
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #96
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 24,001
Default

MSUPD is providing digital forensic support in the investigation


I’m blind as usual haha
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:53 AM   #97
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 24,001
Default

They better check the water in all of Michigan and not just Flint. I worry for some of the members here.
Siberian13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #98
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 19,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
They better check the water in all of Michigan and not just Flint. I worry for some of the members here.
Well we know hairy and cnewby aren't right so you may have a point.
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #99
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 19,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Strange people out there if true. How do they know he did this though? Maybe Iím blind or slipped over the proof. Was he on video or something? Who accused him? Dogs canít speak up for themselves. Poor pup is now part of the #metoo movement
You looking to see the video or something?
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #100
mnvikingstwins
Member
 
mnvikingstwins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 34,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Not Nassar or student related but...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/05...nd-report.html
It wasn't a basset hound, it was a wolverine
__________________
Collecting Zack Littell
ROW THE BOAT & SKI-U-MAH
mnvikingstwins is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.