Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #651
Cyber Warrior

Justice League was good. But I'm also a big Batman and Justice League fan so just seeing them on the big screen is enjoyable. I was a little worried towards the beginning of how they were introducing the characters but I think they did a decent job in the amount of time they had. Enjoyed seeing tie-ins/mannerisms between the movie and JL comics and animated shows.. if you follow Justice League you'll pickup on them very easy. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:35 PM   #652
rokstarr99

If anyone is in the Grant's Pass, OR area I recommend Iguana Comics. We took a trip up to OR and I thought I'd check out the local LCS. The town is on the smaller side and in the sticks so I expected to be disappointed. This was not the case. I'm not sure if the guy I spoke with was the owner, but he was super cool. I'm thinking he was the owner and he had a great selection. I told him I was into the older stuff and he set me free in the back room to dig through a collection he had just bought. Then we started talking about pressing and he took me upstairs to show me his set up. Big thumbs up for Iguana Comics....
rokstarr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #653
Spider-Fan

I assume this guy is primarily running an online business and just maintaining a physical store?
Spider-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #654
rokstarr99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I assume this guy is primarily running an online business and just maintaining a physical store?

He didn't say anything about a website and he is doing more than maintaining a physical store. The place was huge. I would think that if his priority were online sales then he would keep his overhead to a minimum by maintaining a small footprint. Looks like he has a FB page though. Just a great all around experience. I would like to go back when I don't have my girl texting me, wondering where I'm at....
Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #655
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstarr99 View Post
He didn't say anything about a website and he is doing more than maintaining a physical store. The place was huge. I would think that if his priority were online sales then he would keep his overhead to a minimum by maintaining a small footprint. Looks like he has a FB page though. Just a great all around experience. I would like to go back when I don't have my girl texting me, wondering where I'm at....
Most of the guys I've met that have huge stores have very healthy online sales that are paying the bills, and pressing books suggests CPR which is primarily online sales, but I'm sure it's possible that he is primarily or even exclusively a local shop.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:11 PM   #656
rokstarr99

Quote:
Most of the guys I've met that have huge stores have very healthy online sales that are paying the bills, and pressing books suggests CPR which is primarily online sales, but I'm sure it's possible that he is primarily or even exclusively a local shop.
I forgot to consider eBay sales and other avenues like auction sites and what not so you could be right as well. I told him I didn't expect to find such a nice shop in a small town and he said he gets that a lot. He said the community is very supportive which I could see by the pull rack on the back wall. There must of been around 75 cubbies or so as a guy next to me said he was #63 and they went over to his cubbie and grabbed his books. He had a lot of high end books in the case and had me come around the counter to look through what was left of the ASM 1-100 and FF 1-100 collection he said he had purchased a while back. I can't imagine you could move books like that without going online.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:00 PM   #657
Spider-Fan

I honestly don't know how anybody in a small town keeps a shop open these days. Power to them for trying. I've often fancied the idea of opening a small shop (not a comic shop, per se) when I retire, more just to stay active and pass the time while enjoying my hobby, but I think it might cost too much to execute.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #658
Gambit C10

Quote:
I honestly don't know how anybody in a small town keeps a shop open these days. Power to them for trying. I've often fancied the idea of opening a small shop (not a comic shop, per se) when I retire, more just to stay active and pass the time while enjoying my hobby, but I think it might cost too much to execute.
You'll need $100,000 in cash or inventory before starting a shop. These days you may need more cash to satisfy the wants of the market. Basically diversification of product.

That was the advice I got after reading a blog of the comic shop I frequent. They seem to be pretty savy.

I also have the same desire when I retire. Financially, it should be feasible but the amount of effort via time to get things going is a negative. The idea I had was maybe buying out a comic shop one day as long as I know I'll have a good store manager in tow.

Either way it's a lot of money!
Gambit C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #659
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit C10 View Post
You'll need $100,000 in cash or inventory before starting a shop. These days you may need more cash to satisfy the wants of the market. Basically diversification of product.

That was the advice I got after reading a blog of the comic shop I frequent. They seem to be pretty savy.

I also have the same desire when I retire. Financially, it should be feasible but the amount of effort via time to get things going is a negative. The idea I had was maybe buying out a comic shop one day as long as I know I'll have a good store manager in tow.

Either way it's a lot of money!
I wouldn't start a shop in the traditional sense, meaning I probably wouldn't have a Diamond account and be updating the wall every Tuesday night. That doesn't interest me. I would more like to have a place to display my stuff with a price tag on it, buy old collections, etc... turning a Nice profit would be great, but I'm looking at it more as a hobby than a business. A physical location to do What I'm already doing, meet like minded people, enjoy my retirement, eventually sell what I've been collecting for a decade already, etc.. try to host artists and in store signings, gaming tournaments, birthday parties, things like that.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #660
SlackerBoy9

Can’t help but think this cover B for Batman white knight #3 might disappear quickly next Wednesday http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/d...233+Co_1683516
SlackerBoy9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #661
rokstarr99

How would distributor ink affect the grade of a comic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2017, 03:34 AM   #662
Btown23

I've never been more upset with CBCS than I am currently. I'm going on 9 months waiting for my books to come back. Mind you yes, I'm stationed overseas, but we've gotten books back in just a couple months before. My buddy who runs our local shop submitted the books at the beginning of May. We still don't have any word on them. We went to MCM London in 2016 (so end of Oct) and submitted books and got them back by Jan. I don't know what's going on over there but I'm about done with them.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #663
Phanos

Quote:
I wouldn't start a shop in the traditional sense, meaning I probably wouldn't have a Diamond account and be updating the wall every Tuesday night. That doesn't interest me. I would more like to have a place to display my stuff with a price tag on it, buy old collections, etc... turning a Nice profit would be great, but I'm looking at it more as a hobby than a business. A physical location to do What I'm already doing, meet like minded people, enjoy my retirement, eventually sell what I've been collecting for a decade already, etc.. try to host artists and in store signings, gaming tournaments, birthday parties, things like that.

Honestly, when you guys are all old and I have one foot in the grave, we should pool our money and open one! ;-)
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #664
Gambit C10

Midseason finale of The Gifted was pretty awesome.

Stepford cuckoos stole the show with their Emma frost-esque blurred lines between a hero and a villain.
Gambit C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #665
fastballspecial

Quote:
I have thought of this as well. A storefront lets the books walk in. A diamond account doesn't hurt. One of my local shops ran his shop without new issues for 20 years and did very well. He focused on $1 and wall books worked great for him.

Even in a small town it can be done with Social Media and Ebay. The trick is you have to want to work for it. Several shop owners passed working hard many years ago you can tell by the shop the minute you walk in sometimes.
fastballspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #666
Cyber Warrior

Cut Superman Black Suit scene

Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #667
Cyber Warrior

Any predictions on New Mutants 87 ? ... first Cable. Sell now with movie hype or hold out long term? Thinking of selling now.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #668
natbornkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
Any predictions on New Mutants 87 ? ... first Cable. Sell now with movie hype or hold out long term? Thinking of selling now.
sell now

or wait for the cable spin off
Old 02-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #669
Cyber Warrior

That's what I'm contemplating.. waiting for the X-Force movie as he becomes more popular. But it seems 1st app on the movie screen is the only time I see price increases. Think I paid 360 for my 9.8 .. looks like they're averaging $500 right now.. not a killer profit but decent.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #670
rokstarr99

Default ASM 300

This is probably a dumb question, but the ASM 300 reprint will say True Believers on the top? I looked on ebay and a lot of listings just display the original cover and I wanted to make sure the reprint wasn't difficult to distinguish from the original.

thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 06:40 PM   #671
Cyber Warrior

Yep. Should look like this..
Old 02-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #672
natbornkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Warrior View Post
Yep. Should look like this..
its not an reprint
its an asm 300 variant
Old 02-13-2018, 09:28 PM   #673
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
its not an reprint
its an asm 300 variant
It's actually neither, although it does reprint the story from ASM 300
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #674
rokstarr99

Thanks for the replies. I just thought it was weird that all the ebay listings for the reprint are using the stock cover photo for the original ASM 300. I was picking up a copy today and just didnt want to get duped with a reprint. I checked Comic Book Price Guide and they do have a listing for a reprint that was done through K mart I believe, but it says not for resale on the cover.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #675
Cyber Warrior

Another cut scene..