Blowout Cards Forums
2018 Big Baller

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risquť images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Tones

Default Anyone ever been to Shanghai, China and/or Tokyo, Japan?

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of taking my next trip and I have chosen Tokyo as the destination. Whenever I book these trips I purposefully look for ones that have long layovers in other countries to see more. I am currently looking at a 16 hour layover in Shanghai which gives me plenty time to leave the airport and see the city. So had a couple of questions;

1) If I only had 1 day in Shanghai, what are the must see's/do's?]
2) Outside of the well known tourist attractions what are some top spots in Tokyo that you would recommend? (food, entertainment, nightlife, etc?)

I will be there for ~9 days so trying to get the most out of my trip!
FT/FS Album: https://ibb.co/album/mSEtwF
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
dbo808

Went to Japan almost 20 years ago for my brothers baseball tournament so things might be a little different than I remember. If your in Tokyo just go to Shibuya area it has the famous Shibuya crossing and tons of shopping and restaurants as well as clubs. Also if your staying out late I do believe the subway as well as the taxis stop after a certain hour pretty sure its about 3 or 4 in the morning. We used the subway system to get around mostly and it is excellent. They have tons of food shops in the subways so if you want something to eat on the move its great and the food is good too. I would suggest some Takoyaki, or a croquette. They also have the equivalent to a 7-11 called AM PM and they are everywhere but the food is much better. Theres drink vending machines everywhere and you can get just about anything you want hot coffee, cold coffee, sodas, water, even beer. Besides Shibuya I would try and go to a castle or temple and if you can an onsen.
dbo808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
hairysasquatch

Hire fordman as tour guide.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
ntgm37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairysasquatch View Post
Hire fordman as tour guide.
Post of the day
ntgm37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
Bostonsports1

We were going to try and do this on our way to Thailand. We had a similar layover their and actually were comped a hotel room. We were planning to go out after getting to the hotel but we were exhausted from the longgg flight from NY to Shanghai so we passed out and when we woke up had some lunch and just checked out the surroundings a bit.

If your not dead tired from the flight, go for it!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #6
Tones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonsports1 View Post
We were going to try and do this on our way to Thailand. We had a similar layover their and actually were comped a hotel room. We were planning to go out after getting to the hotel but we were exhausted from the longgg flight from NY to Shanghai so we passed out and when we woke up had some lunch and just checked out the surroundings a bit.

If your not dead tired from the flight, go for it!
im flying out of NY as well, and i plan on popping a melatonin and sleeping 2nd half of my flight
Old 10-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #7
Bostonsports1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones View Post
im flying out of NY as well, and i plan on popping a melatonin and sleeping 2nd half of my flight
Good idea. If you can sleep a good 6-8 hours youll be OK.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 AM   #8
alpine

What Airport are you arriving at? Narita is outstanding. Clean, safe & everything important such as directions that are in English. I would rate Narita as one of the best airports anywhere. The Japanese people are great. They are very friendly as long as you are normal & polite. We took a bus to get into Tokyo from Narita. The rate is reasonable & again very clean & safe. They actually have clean white doilies on all of the seats.

We stayed at the Keio Plaza Hotel which is attached to the world's busiest subway: Shinjuku. A great place to stay. Comfortable with prices that are somewhat reasonable for a standard double queen room. Our room had outstanding views & everything is spotless & clean. Japan also has the coolest toilets anywhere.

Just go into the Shinjuku District. There are literally hundreds of little restaurants you can eat at & shops to browse. Most are open till at least 8:00 p.m.or later. I ate the best pork fried rice & gyozas. My son was partial to the 3 layer sandwiches you can get at any 7-11 type store. We ate cheap but were filled to over capacity. Everything we ate was fresh & reasonably priced. I got hooked on the bottled teas as Mountain Dew is banned there. It was good to stop drinking MD for awhile anyway.

There are actually a couple of card shops in the Shinjuku District that mainly have Japanese issues such as BBM. Another interesting place is the actual department stores such as the Keio Department Store. They actually had a large selection of Hanshin Tigers souvenirs. The toy departments are also really neat.

If you get a chance & are not afraid of heights, check out the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Observation Deck. The views of the Tokyo skyline are amazing.

You are going at a good time where the temps are cool & the humidity is usually gone.

We walked everywhere & did not use the Subway / bullet train for other than one trip to Ryoto-Kannon. Total tourist trap in my estimation & the trip was not worth it, other than finding a really outstanding toy shop that had NOS Pokemon toys from the early 2000's.

If in doubt, check out TripAdvisor for some good advice. Need help when you get there? Just ask. Someone will help you & your family. Japan is one of the safest & cleanest countries you can visit. I didn't go into the bar / gambling district of Shinjuku so I can't help you there. Have a great time!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Tones

I am indeed flying into Narita. I haven't booked a hotel yet, planning on doing an airbnb as they are much cheaper. Also I am traveling their alone so don't really need the space that hotel would provide.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #10
daxwills

Things in Japan if I was making a to-do list. In no particular order just giving you ideas. Also keeping in mind I have no idea how much, if any, Japanese you speak.

1 - asagawa forrest (spelling) at the base of mt Fuji.
2 - musashi station, train station in the home town of the legendary swordsman with a museum there I would love to see. The town is also home to one of the oldest schools teaching swordsmanship.
3 - Nijo castle, ever wanted to see a feudal era castle? This is a prime example
4 - public bath (sento, I think theyíre called) Iím all for trying different things when visiting other cultures. This is pretty unique compared to the United States
5 - tea ceremony. Youíll never believe how deeply involved this is or how much of a great experience something so simple can be
6 - sushi, good sushi. I donít even like fish but omg itís unique it's delicious and itís another one of those things you just gotta try
7 - if you like anime, watch me screw up the spelling, akasabra or something like that is the center of anime, video games, you get the gist. If thatís your thing welcome to Disney world. Might want to google it though I am not even close on the spelling

It depends what your goal is. I go to experience the culture and society, even when traveling within this country. So Iíd want to immerse myself in Japanese culture, cuisine and history. So my ideas wouldnít appeal to someone wanting just sight seeing and shopping. But for a fun bonus fact, if you like video games or other electronics you can find stuff labeled ďjunkĒ in stores cheap. Well if that was here itís labeled junk because itís broken or something. In japan it usually means itís like missing a cable or its cosmetically damaged. Most of the time it works fine. Since Japan is a 100v country using ntsc standard you can bring home anything you want and itíll plug right in with no problems. So dig through the junk bins and save money.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #11
TheFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tones View Post
1) If I only had 1 day in Shanghai, what are the must see's/do's?
Unfortunately all of the cool Chinese sites are in Beijing or scattered throughout the country. Shanghai is largely industrial/commercial/bureaucracy.

My summer in China was spent largely in Kunming, but we we spent our first few and last few days in Shanghai. Really your best bet with only a day is probably to enjoy the "lowlights" and get a feel for the nitty-gritty of the city. Take a taxi on a loop around the city—there is some cool modern architecture—or take a walk along the river and watch some early morning tai chi groups, go grab a selfie in front of the big broadcast tower. But most of all, eat at a noodle shop or two, chat up the cooks, and try not to breathe too much of the air.

To see which ones I still need: http://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1147500
TheFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #12
Clarka3

pack a mask for shanghai. it's definitely dirty air. everybody, and i mean everybody, smokes. they all spit all the time too.

this is all second-hand knowledge- never been personally, but my gf at the time was gone for 3 months in Shanghai for a co-op while in college. those were the things she mentioned to me immediately after arriving.

Don't ask me how much I want to offer. Come with a price in mind. If I don't want it or think it's worth that, I will let you know.
Clarka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarka3 View Post
pack a mask for shanghai. it's definitely dirty air. everybody, and i mean everybody, smokes. they all spit all the time too.

this is all second-hand knowledge- never been personally, but my gf at the time was gone for 3 months in Shanghai for a co-op while in college. those were the things she mentioned to me immediately after arriving.
In Chinese culture itís not considered rude to spit. However the government has somewhat curbed this practice as it was a health issue and causing problems with the streets.