Blowout Cards Forums
2018 Big Baller

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Bostonsports1

Default Guitar / Auto ID Help

My dad got this guitar at a job and wants me to sell it but since I know nothing about them I was wondering if anyone on here did. It looks like it is custom made by someone and I am wondering if either they signed it, or maybe the auto is someone famous? Anyone have any ideas? No marks other than the auto on it.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
xplainer

Looks like T. L. Martinez.
Probably the guy that made it.
Note that the signature is under the strings (and peg), indicating it was signed before final assembly.
Just my take.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Bostonsports1

Ya I was seeing TL Martinez too, did some google searches but came up empty. Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
ifish73

Don't know the first thing about guitars but a quick search brought up a company called Martinez. Their website shows acoustic guitars but maybe they made that one too.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
IronMonkey415

That is a beautiful bass.

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Bound by blood. Divided by fate. Driven by destiny
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Bliggity

It looks like a home-built guitar to me and, unfortunately, it doesn't look like it was done very well. The body work is uneven, especially on the upper horns, and the neck and pickup routes are sloppy. The nut is a mess, and looks damaged. The five-bolt neck with a mis-aligned fifth bolt is also questionable. The resale value is probably dependent on the quality of the pickups and other parts, but there's no way to tell what those are just from the pictures. If the guitar was fixed up and had good electronics, you might be able to get some money for it (although it's always extremely tough with home-built guitars), but as it sits currently, you'd probably be fortunate to get $150, unless the pickups are really nice.

I could certainly be way off base, but I've built a lot of guitars, and that's how it looks to me.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
Bostonsports1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
It looks like a home-built guitar to me and, unfortunately, it doesn't look like it was done very well. The body work is uneven, especially on the upper horns, and the neck and pickup routes are sloppy. The nut is a mess, and looks damaged. The five-bolt neck with a mis-aligned fifth bolt is also questionable. The resale value is probably dependent on the quality of the pickups and other parts, but there's no way to tell what those are just from the pictures. If the guitar was fixed up and had good electronics, you might be able to get some money for it (although it's always extremely tough with home-built guitars), but as it sits currently, you'd probably be fortunate to get $150, unless the pickups are really nice.

I could certainly be way off base, but I've built a lot of guitars, and that's how it looks to me.
Thanks. I noticed that it seemed a bit sloppy too even knowing nothing about guitars.

$150 would be great to get, I was thinking $200ish max. Ill toss it on eBay and Craiglist for a higher price and wait for the low balls.

Just wanted to be sure I wasn't sitting on something very valuable.