Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

View Poll Results: Will you get a flu shot this year?
Yes 30 38.46%
No 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 2,598
Default Flu Season

Just got out of a meeting and saw the people who administer the flu vaccine at my work this morning.

I got mine, who else on BO is going to get one with me?

If you're not going to get one (like the majority of people I work with), why?
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
deansayso
Member
 
deansayso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,995
Default

No because they put nanobots that control you without you realizing it in the vaccines..



But no because it usually isn't effective anyways.
deansayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansayso View Post
No because they put nanobots that control you without you realizing it in the vaccines..



But no because it usually isn't effective anyways.

The second they put nanobots in the shot to control me I'll double up, I'm sick of making decisions.

Just wondering, because my wife and I have had this argument, if it isn't usually effective wouldn't it always be more effective than no shot?

I say this as someone who can barely see what I'm typing right now because I think the shot caused some retinal bleeding.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
chezball
Member
 
chezball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Beatoff USA
Posts: 13,932
Default

The strain they give you is a guess of what will be going around.So if they guessed wrong on the strain you still get the flu.
__________________
I'M A FREE THINKING AMERICAN
I'M NOT A KNEELER OR A NETTER DEAL WITH IT
Your ignore list might say more about you than the members on it.
keep your mouth shut beatoff/TDRavens
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
deansayso
Member
 
deansayso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
The second they put nanobots in the shot to control me I'll double up, I'm sick of making decisions.

Just wondering, because my wife and I have had this argument, if it isn't usually effective wouldn't it always be more effective than no shot?

I say this as someone who can barely see what I'm typing right now because I think the shot caused some retinal bleeding.
Just read that it decreases your chance of getting the flu by 40 to 60%.

I should also add that I've had the flu about 3 times in my life.
deansayso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
IowaCubs1
Member
 
IowaCubs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 10,868
Default

Yes - because my work administers it for free.
__________________
COLLECTING:
IOWA HAWKEYES, KC CHIEFS
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156628859@N08/albums/with/72157686059706286
IowaCubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #7
Siberian13
Member
 
Siberian13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 12,796
Default

Nope, better to get sick so I'm used to it. Also, have to spread it too. Why should I get the flu and be the only miserable person?
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
ssbledsoe
Member
 
ssbledsoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 24,327
Default

My employer requires me to get it. Even if that weren't the case, I'd still get it...because I'm not dumb...
__________________
Vote #BledsoesNuts

Drew Bledsoe is a better QB than your favorite QB
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
Boo
Member
 
Boo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 16,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
My employer requires me to get it. Even if that weren't the case, I'd still get it...because I'm not dumb...
You wife and everyone else say otherwise...
__________________
CheckOutMyCards ID = klay22
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #10
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbledsoe View Post
My employer requires me to get it. Even if that weren't the case, I'd still get it...because I'm not dumb...
That's how I feel...dumb.

Is it the shot I just got?

With all the available information I can't for the life of me grasp why people at my work refuse to get one. They take ANYTHING that is free. I could put out moldy bread in the morning and it would be devoured within 10 minutes.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #11
ssbledsoe
Member
 
ssbledsoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 24,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
You wife and everyone else say otherwise...
I suppose I am dumb (dickering around with you and the other Seneca J-offs would be an indicator), but not because of my flu vaccination stances...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
That's how I feel...dumb.

Is it the shot I just got?

With all the available information I can't for the life of me grasp why people at my work refuse to get one. They take ANYTHING that is free. I could put out moldy bread in the morning and it would be devoured within 10 minutes.
The moldy bread has penicillin. The flu shot is riddled with toxins.
__________________
Vote #BledsoesNuts

Drew Bledsoe is a better QB than your favorite QB
ssbledsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
corndog
Member
 
corndog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: From a table in McDonalds, with lovely fake flowers on it.
Posts: 5,031
Default

People today get sick too easily due to weak immune systems.
Too much emphasis in being overly sanitary is preventing kids from developing healthy immune systems.
Stop washing your hands people! Stay away from anti-bacterial cream and just rub dirt on it.

Cupcakes
__________________
I love redemptions!

corndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #13
LRV
Member
 
LRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Where I'm At
Posts: 4,067
Default

Just got the Quadrivalent version this morning..
__________________
"How much sleep do you need to go play three hours?" - Ken Stabler
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
LRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
jcardstore
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,460
Default

No, never have and never will even if offered for free. Getting a shot is pretty pointless because if you're healthy there's only a 40% - 60% chance that it's effective.

On top of that there are hundreds of strains of the flu and the vaccine only protects against 3-4 of them.
__________________
I got my Louis bags duffled up
F with the squad and throw it up
I got my top down, speakers bump
See me when I pull it up
jcardstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #15
Bostonsports1
Member
 
Bostonsports1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,262
Default

I don't get it now, but will when I am older and/or have small kids
__________________
I collect graded HOF RCs, rare Troy Browns and other Brady/Patriot items that catch my eye.
Bostonsports1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
JosieD
Member
 
JosieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 16,744
Default

Yes, I will be getting it. My work requires it
__________________
#TEAMConnor
#TeamLeoneez
2017 card goal: Sell 25 cards
2017 sold: 106
JosieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #17
mfisher27
Member
 
mfisher27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Canton, OH
Posts: 3,617
Default

Wouldn't it still at least be 40-60% more effective than not getting one though? Or at least cut out those 3-4 that they think it might be? They usually have at least a decent idea of what the most common strain will be in a given year so it's not like they're just throwing darts at a board.

My work does them for free and it also goes into the healthy living credit we get which just 1 credit gives back about $8-$10 per paycheck so I get it for free and make more money. Win-win for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
No, never have and never will even if offered for free. Getting a shot is pretty pointless because if you're healthy there's only a 40% - 60% chance that it's effective.

On top of that there are hundreds of strains of the flu and the vaccine only protects against 3-4 of them.
__________________
Truth is truth

http://s1157.beta.photobucket.com/user/mfisher27/library/
mfisher27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #18
Bassman2014
Member
 
Bassman2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 568
Default

I've never gotten the shot and probably never will. I very rarely get sick of any kind, except for some self induced nights back in my younger days..
__________________
Looking for 2015 Topps Tek to complete the set. Stripes (Adam Jones), Blades (Javier Baez, Jose Canseco), Grid (Sal Perez), Chains (Koufax)
Bassman2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #19
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
No, never have and never will even if offered for free. Getting a shot is pretty pointless because if you're healthy there's only a 40% - 60% chance that it's effective.

On top of that there are hundreds of strains of the flu and the vaccine only protects against 3-4 of them.
I don't care what each person does in regards to whether they get a flu shot or not.

I am curious though because it's the 2nd time I've now seen this; isn't 40-60% better than 0% (the rate if you don't get the shot)?

It's the same thing I've heard my coworkers say all day. That the shot isn't effective 100% of the time (although no medicine is).

I just can't think of anything else in life that is:

-Free
-Has next to no downside (sure some people may have a sore arm)
-Has positive effects
-Can help others

Yet millions of people just refuse to get it. I just don't understand the logic behind the decision not to get it. Again, if you don't want it that's fine. It's just no logical to say something like "there's only a chance that it's 40-60% effective" when logically not getting it is 0%. If you were concerned about the "effectiveness" it makes logical sense, to me, to get the shot.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #20
jcardstore
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
Wouldn't it still at least be 40-60% more effective than not getting one though? Or at least cut out those 3-4 that they think it might be? They usually have at least a decent idea of what the most common strain will be in a given year so it's not like they're just throwing darts at a board.

My work does them for free and it also goes into the healthy living credit we get which just 1 credit gives back about $8-$10 per paycheck so I get it for free and make more money. Win-win for me.
It's only 40-60% effective for the 3-4 most common strains of that year. If you look at the thousands of strains that it's basically not effective at all against you bring that 40-60% number down significantly.

Sometimes I think we over medicate ourselves. It's just not necessary in my opinion and I've never got the flu so it just seems pretty pointless to me. Why medicate yourself if you don't need it?

The same argument can be made about 99% antibacterial soaps. You can say oh why not it kills 99% of germs, right? What ends up happening is that the bacteria and viruses end up building immunities and become "super bugs" which are way worse than their parents.

For the record, I'm not one of those crazy anti-vaxxers. I'm a firm believer in vaccines for deadly diseases like polio, measles, etc... I say, let your body do it's thing.
__________________
I got my Louis bags duffled up
F with the squad and throw it up
I got my top down, speakers bump
See me when I pull it up
jcardstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #21
oldgoldy97
Member
 
oldgoldy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 18,387
Default

No shot but I'm buying a plastic bubble this weekend. I need a safe spot.
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
jcardstore
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 7,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
I don't care what each person does in regards to whether they get a flu shot or not.

I am curious though because it's the 2nd time I've now seen this; isn't 40-60% better than 0% (the rate if you don't get the shot)?

It's the same thing I've heard my coworkers say all day. That the shot isn't effective 100% of the time (although no medicine is).

I just can't think of anything else in life that is:

-Free
-Has next to no downside (sure some people may have a sore arm)
-Has positive effects
-Can help others

Yet millions of people just refuse to get it. I just don't understand the logic behind the decision not to get it. Again, if you don't want it that's fine. It's just no logical to say something like "there's only a chance that it's 40-60% effective" when logically not getting it is 0%. If you were concerned about the "effectiveness" it makes logical sense, to me, to get the shot.
I'm not saying it's bad to get one, just not necessary IMO. Sometimes we like to overmedicate ourselves when chances are you probably wont get the flu anyways.

Chances of getting the flu are around 5-20% so why would you get the vaccine for only a 40-60% chance to prevent something you probably wont even get in the first place? Furthermore, if you maintain a healthy lifestyle those chances are even lower
__________________
I got my Louis bags duffled up
F with the squad and throw it up
I got my top down, speakers bump
See me when I pull it up
jcardstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #23
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
I'm not saying it's bad to get one, just not necessary IMO. Sometimes we like to overmedicate ourselves when chances are you probably wont get the flu anyways.

Chances of getting the flu are around 5-20% so why would you get the vaccine for only a 40-60% chance to prevent something you probably wont even get in the first place? Furthermore, if you maintain a healthy lifestyle those chances are even lower
I agree with you on the over-medication of society, but that's a whole other can-o-worms.

For me, if I know that I can possibly prevent contacting the flu which in turns can prevent me from passing on the flu, then that's the only benefit I need. I'd hate to pass on the flu to someone with a weak immune system and be the reason they passed away. I know it wouldn't be direct, but I think of it as doing my part, however unnecessary and/or insignificant that may be.

I respect your decision though and have no issue with people who don't want the flu vaccine, although I would love to see a society who totally vaccinated against the flu from a research standpoint. It would be interesting to see if the effectiveness was greater as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
The same argument can be made about 99% antibacterial soaps. You can say oh why not it kills 99% of germs, right? What ends up happening is that the bacteria and viruses end up building immunities and become "super bugs" which are way worse than their parents.
The same argument can't be made with antibacterial soaps. The CDC states "To date, studies have shown that there is no added health benefit for consumers (this does not include professionals in the healthcare setting) using soaps containing antibacterial ingredients compared with using plain soap."

The CDC doesn't state the same in regards to the flu vaccine. It's actually quite the opposite.
GeechQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #24
no10pin
Member
 
no10pin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 7,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardstore View Post
I'm not saying it's bad to get one, just not necessary IMO. Sometimes we like to overmedicate ourselves when chances are you probably wont get the flu anyways.

Chances of getting the flu are around 5-20% so why would you get the vaccine for only a 40-60% chance to prevent something you probably wont even get in the first place? Furthermore, if you maintain a healthy lifestyle those chances are even lower
I subscribe to the better safe than sorry method. About 5 years ago I got the flu like I've never had before. I was useless for about 5 days and didn't feel back to full strength for 2 weeks. Since that year I've gotten a flu shot ever year. It's free, and if it gives even a small improvement on the odds of not getting the flu, I'm going to do it.
__________________
Always looking for more George Brett stuff. Need more rookies, low numbered inserts/parallels and on-card autos (no Panini).
no10pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #25
RollTribe
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 1,068
Default

I got scammed into getting one today.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150793309@N08/albums/with/72157677561883881
RollTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.