2016 star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > FOOTBALL

Notices

FOOTBALL Post your Football Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Bowman1951

Default ELI15 - The grab bag football packs at Target

First some background:

I stopped collecting for over two decades, ending when I was a teenager. I just recently got back into it and mainly focus on vintage baseball and football, as my username suggests.

I have been out of the pack game (and modern era) for far too long and need a little help understanding it. I see these 10-pack grab bag types of football cards from Target that retail for $11.99. I purchased one this past weekend and had a blast. They ranged from 1990 - 2017, I opened the newest ones first. I ended up with some base rookies like Dalvin Cook and Deshaun Watson, along with a serial numbered Greg Olsen card. This is what it looks like.

I know I'm not getting rich off of any of these pulls but they were even better than I expected. I know the junk era Pro Football pack I got is garbage, but are these a semi-decent value overall? Should I be surprised to get a pack that has a lot of value from say 2010, and actually hold onto it? It looks like I got one from 2009 that may have an auto in it, so I haven't even touched it yet. I can take a picture of the pack and post it here later if anyone is interested once I'm home.

So bottom line, do you purchase these yourself? Do they hold any value or am I wasting my money and should focus on higher end products? I just wanted to rip some packs and had a blast doing so. I may purchase more of these and put away the older ones by not opening them. Explain to me like I'm 15 again, please!
Bowman1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Siberian13

Wasting money on those boxes of retail. Leave those for the kids.
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
Wasting money on those boxes of retail. Leave those for the kids.
Why, though? I don't have any historical frame of reference to even begin to understand your comment.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman1951 View Post
Why, though? I don't have any historical frame of reference to even begin to understand your comment.
Because you are wasting money on a product that won't reward you. If it does, it will be a long shot. But if you don't care about money, buy them all. The best option for buying, is to buy singles of the cards you want. If you want to rip boxes and lose money, go for it. Every once in a while you will get lucky though. Some people just like opening stuff no matter the losses.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
49ers_Swag

I have opened a few of these. Some of the packs have been opened and resealed. Not only did they open and reseal the packs, lets say it was a 2011 topps chrome football pack. Inside you'd find hockey cards, baseball cards, football cards from other products. They didn't do a very good job on some of these.

That being said I also pulled a Topps Chrome black refractor auto rc so they are not all searched. But some of it has been searched.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #6
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ers_Swag View Post
I have opened a few of these. Some of the packs have been opened and resealed. Not only did they open and reseal the packs, lets say it was a 2011 topps chrome football pack. Inside you'd find hockey cards, baseball cards, football cards from other products. They didn't do a very good job on some of these.

That being said I also pulled a Topps Chrome black refractor auto rc so they are not all searched. But some of it has been searched.
Good to know, much appreciated. I don't believe anything that I got looked "resealed".
Old 11-14-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
Bowman1951

Quote:
Because you are wasting money on a product that won't reward you. If it does, it will be a long shot. But if you don't care about money, buy them all. The best option for buying, is to buy singles of the cards you want. If you want to rip boxes and lose money, go for it. Every once in a while you will get lucky though. Some people just like opening stuff no matter the losses.
$12 is hardly an "investment" here and yes, it was about the fun of opening them.

Like I said, I'm not expecting a 1/10 card or anything, I was just more curious how "rare" these packs that may be 5-10 years old really are. Probably not very if they were thrown into these but again, I have no clue.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
MeteoriteGuy

These boxes are decent deals for what you pay, ignoring possible reseal issues. They have sold like boxes for years now. Typically you get two $3 packs (such as Topps Chrome) and the rest are $1 packs. They sometimes include a bonus hit, like a "random" auto, which usually is an undrafted qb Sage auto card.

Still, for $10-12, you can't expect the moon.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
blevins26

Quote:
Sad to say, but the ROI on these is probably as good or better than any hobby box going right now.

If it were 5 years ago, I think your comment would hold but the card market has fallen apart from an ROI per hobby box standpoint.

OP, for $12 you're probably going to get the most fun for your collecting dollar with these than anything else. Enjoy the next 6-12 months as you get back into the hobby. If you stick with it, you'll eventually be as salty as the rest of us.
blevins26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
bojesphob

I've gotten some decent cards in those. Although, they seem to be more rare as of late. The company they used to use were really bad with pack searching, so I tried them out when they went to this new company and there for a while you could get some nice stuff in them. I've pulled cards numbered under 20, some nice autos, and some nice inserts. But, recently, though, they've been throwing in a LOT of 90/91 Fleer, 90 Score, and recent Leaf Draft packs (which have 0 chance of hitting anything), so the potential for nice cards has gone down dramatically. Last one I got was a bigger 20 pack box I think, and it had 4 packs of Leaf Draft, 2 packs of 90 Fleer, and 2 packs of 90 Score. Then, coupled with those it had 4 packs of 2012/13 Score.... So 12 of the 20 packs had basically nothing in them. I did, though, get 2 variation camo cards from 15 score and a Black Score Brady the Great Outdoors insert from the 15 Score packs they had in it.
http://www.bojesphob.com/viewcollection.aspx
bojesphob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:39 PM   #11
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins26 View Post
Sad to say, but the ROI on these is probably as good or better than any hobby box going right now.

If it were 5 years ago, I think your comment would hold but the card market has fallen apart from an ROI per hobby box standpoint.

OP, for $12 you're probably going to get the most fun for your collecting dollar with these than anything else. Enjoy the next 6-12 months as you get back into the hobby. If you stick with it, you'll eventually be as salty as the rest of us.
Oh I agree busting boxes is a bad idea. I learned the hard way when I started in 2015 cause I wanted to try it. Wish I would of listened to the members on here when I first joined telling me to just buy singles and let the suckers bust the boxes. I still bust a box or two but last Black Friday was it for me buying in bulk. Pretty much every box was 20% or less. It just seems like a scam and not sure how they are allowed to get away with it. Singles are easier since you get what you want and can even buy a version with a high grade if you like graded stuff.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
tnvolfan16

that particular style of box is not capable of opening and resealing without it being noticeable to even the dumbest person. the ends are glued together with an industrial adhesive that is the strongest I have seen in a while. you basically have to rip the box open. I will say I have pulled some ok stuff out of them, but as someone said, there a a couple good packs, probably a few 2012 score packs, and a notre dame pack. but they are also only like 10-12 bucks
Old 11-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
RogerGodahell

Quote:
Oh I agree busting boxes is a bad idea. I learned the hard way when I started in 2015 cause I wanted to try it. Wish I would of listened to the members on here when I first joined telling me to just buy singles and let the suckers bust the boxes. I still bust a box or two but last Black Friday was it for me buying in bulk. Pretty much every box was 20% or less. It just seems like a scam and not sure how they are allowed to get away with it. Singles are easier since you get what you want and can even buy a version with a high grade if you like graded stuff.
What if everyone just bought singles? Where would they come from?

I clect football cards
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGodahell View Post
Not possible, too many suckers/addicts out there.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
RogerGodahell

Cardboard crack...hi my name is Roger and im an addict

I clect football cards
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #16
Siberian13

Quote:
Cardboard crack...hi my name is Roger and im an addict
Hi Roger!

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM   #17
ILOVEBEER

Watcha got there in the background?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM   #18
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
You aren't pulling those Jordy Nelson NT Colossal patches from a $12 box They look nice though

Last edited by Siberian13; 11-14-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #19
ForzaMilan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
I 'm pretty sure that's not the OP's image. He took the thumbnail from a sports card youtuber (Packercards87), and posted it here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156371188@N08/albums
ForzaMilan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 AM   #20
CardMonopoly

Opening a few of these repacks might be a good way for you to figure out which products or brands you like. Down the road once you know what you like and are pickier, you probably won't buy these any more unless it's to satisfy the itch of busting packs.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
beaver1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardMonopoly View Post
Opening a few of these repacks might be a good way for you to figure out which products or brands you like. Down the road once you know what you like and are pickier, you probably won't buy these any more unless it's to satisfy the itch of busting packs.
this couldn't be any more accurate. these things are a waste for the most part. you get maybe 4 decent packs which are shown and the rest are junk with 0% chance of having anything worth mentioning. they are a good way to get kids involved at a cheap price. that said I've bought maybe a dozen over time just for something to open and have hit 2-3 cards that were any good.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #22
pazerbaijan

Quote:
That's a good way of looking at it. If you're looking for current-year packs, another option is Loot Locker, a monthly subscription service. For $20-50/month (it used to be just $20, but they added a couple of tiers), you get a few hobby packs and some supplies. The list of packs is posted on their Twitter account every month, so you can decide whether or not you're interested in the current selection.

I'm a big fan, and I know there are quite a few other members here who feel the same way. It's a very low-risk way to open packs with the possibility of big hits; I can think of at least three times I've ended up pulling cards valued much higher than the cost of the Loot Locker.
pazerbaijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 PM   #23
Scottish Punk

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this as a counter-argument for buying singles? If more and more people stop buying boxes, it isn't like the singles market will just dry up. Sure there will be a short term drop and you may not see the flood of it over the release week, but they will get on the market at some point. Distributors will discount boxes until the price point until it becomes a value to open. Do this enough, Panini and Topps will re-adjust the price point/boxes from the beginning.

Of course the true answer as pointed out, too many gamblers and online breakers. Enough of each release gets ripped and dumped immediately so singles buyers won't need to worry.
Scottish Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #24
Bowman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaMilan92 View Post
I 'm pretty sure that's not the OP's image. He took the thumbnail from a sports card youtuber (Packercards87), and posted it here.
That's exactly what I did, my product was already long ripped open before I decided to post this thread.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #25
Bowman1951

Quote:
Thanks for the candid response, it is helping me at least understand the different products since I've been away for so long.