Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

Notices

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #126
sjim8660
Banned

I am still looking for a Bret Hart white Base and a Bret Hart Yellow /99. It seems like they were all over the place a month or two ago. I would not be surprised if this set becomes one of those iconic sets that people look back on as setting a standard. This is the first real wrestling auto set. PLus all autos are on card. I just hope they do actually release a 2013 set. But no duplicates of 2012 wrestlers please, we would not want the market flooded would we?
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #127
geoffyb

I would say this set did a fine job of flooding the market. I was so excited for it but several things just turn me off about it. 1 its leaf. 2. No certification on the cards. 3. The small size. 4. No actual photos. 5. Flooded market.

I personally dont see it being an iconic wrestling set. I cant see them ever really being considered rare and i dont mean from the numbered ones. The topps wcw set has over 100 signers and everyone seems to forget abouy it when it comes to wrestling auto sets. Many of the bigger signers in that set are more rare and go for double or triple what the leaf ones do. I found myself actually selling my pc leaf autos if i could get the topps equivalent.

Just my 2 cents
geoffyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #128
sthoemke

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post
I would say this set did a fine job of flooding the market. I was so excited for it but several things just turn me off about it. 1 its leaf. 2. No certification on the cards. 3. The small size. 4. No actual photos. 5. Flooded market.

I personally dont see it being an iconic wrestling set. I cant see them ever really being considered rare and i dont mean from the numbered ones. The topps wcw set has over 100 signers and everyone seems to forget abouy it when it comes to wrestling auto sets. Many of the bigger signers in that set are more rare and go for double or triple what the leaf ones do. I found myself actually selling my pc leaf autos if i could get the topps equivalent.

Just my 2 cents
Card stock/print could have been much better.

I also didn't like how they shortprinted some cards. Base cards could have been numbered also.

Some artwork wasn't very good (Flair looks like the Rock)

And what's up with leaf changing 6 cards per box to 5 cards per box?!?
Old 03-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #129
pnft17

I was watching the BGS graded ones, got out of my price range.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #130
bullingham

Actual photos would have ruined these cards IMHO, especially if they were current. Some artwork is better than others, but the artwork allows us to catch these guys 20 to 40 years later as we remember them in their prime, not captured as old washed up guys looking like they could just as easily be working at the local truck stop. Since Leaf is not licensed by the WWE I'm sure it was more cost effective and less time consuming than chasing down old non WWE owned images.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #131
bullingham

I also think its unfair to say the Topps issue is rarer than the Leaf SP'ed cards. There are clearly some Leaf base/alternate auto's with well under 50 copies, some may have no more than 10-25 based on Ebay sales (a few alternate images I speculate may have less than 10). The Topps WCW auto set also had a lot of nobodies in it that Leaf wrestling does not have because it has the benefit of hindsight. If Leaf can continue to make this product and not fall by the way side, I think for the wrestling collector this will one day be every bit as hard to come by as any wrestling issue out there other than the some of the oddball sets and the old Parkhurst one from the 50's.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #132
TheHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullingham View Post
I also think its unfair to say the Topps issue is rarer than the Leaf SP'ed cards. There are clearly some Leaf base/alternate auto's with well under 50 copies, some may have no more than 10-25 based on Ebay sales (a few alternate images I speculate may have less than 10). The Topps WCW auto set also had a lot of nobodies in it that Leaf wrestling does not have because it has the benefit of hindsight. If Leaf can continue to make this product and not fall by the way side, I think for the wrestling collector this will one day be every bit as hard to come by as any wrestling issue out there other than the some of the oddball sets and the old Parkhurst one from the 50's.

I am in agreement with you. Has there ever been a list of Base/alternate SPs (white background)?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #133
sjim8660
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffyb View Post

Just my 2 cents
I can see your point, but you have to remember Vince M. own the rights to photos that could have been used, not only does he own the rights for the wwe history but he also owns the WcW right's. I amsure if he was willing to let them use photos the ywould have. I agree they could have gotten a much better artist and made the cards full size. I am thinking in terms of collecting when I say iconic set. The average collector can't spend 300 bucks on macho mans wcw topps auto. Bret harts just sold for over 300 and hes still alive. you rarely see the SP's on the market. This is the first time the average collector can afford to get a brett hart or scott hall auto at a reasonable price. At least while these guys are still alive.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #134
pnft17

I really like the cardstock Leaf used on these. With white non glossy stock, holds auto well and should for long term.
Does seem a lot of the WCW/Nitro autos have some fading issues.

I like that some of the regular base is pretty tough to find of certain guys. Adds to the chase.

Would be cool if Leaf and dpeck joined forces and used some of his over stock of 1982-83 Wrestling All Star cards. Leaf Could get some of those signed and put their own authentication holograms on back and put them in packs.
pnft17 is offline   Reply With Quote