Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > HOCKEY

Notices

HOCKEY Post your Hockey Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #1
Lionsman81

Default My Custom Hockey Card Set ("Frankenset")

Hello Blowout,

The other day I got bored and started poking around the internet a bit, and found out about the idea of "Frankensetting". For those of you who are unfamiliar, Frankensetting is creating your own custom "set" of cards using cards from different years, products, ect. Using the numbers on the back of the cards (IE- 2016/17 Upper Deck Card #1), you create a set of your own, with your own checklist.

So, whether it's too much freetime, or sheer boredom, I'm going to give this thing a shot. Since I don't have a ton of base cards, or time to sort them, I am going to buy all of the cards off of COMC to create the set. My goal is to get a complete checklist, 1-100..

Here are the critera to make the set:

-Favorite teams (Carolina Hurricanes, Detroit Red Wings, and LA Kings)
-Favorite Players, I will try to include at least one card of some of my all-time favorite players.
-Photography- I am a photographer, so any card with a unique image will make the cut.
-Color/Design- The more the design pops, the more I want it.

Anyhow, here are cards 1-10 in the "Lionsman81 Frankenset". I will try to update this thread with at least five cards that I've added to my imaginary set, but it all depends on what my schedule allows. Please let me know what you think!

2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Platinum - Retro #R-1 - Henrik Zetterberg
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card #1- 2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Platinum Henrick Zetterberg Card-1- This one was an easy choice. The simplistic design, the clean photo, and my all-time favorite Red Wings player? No doubt Henrik will lead off my set!

2015-16 Upper Deck - [Base] - Silver Foil Board #2 - Frederik Andersen
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 2- 15/16 UD Silver Foil Frederik Andersen- This picture is great, I'm a sucker for goalie shots.

2016-17 Upper Deck - Instant Impressions #II-3 - Dylan Larkin
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 3 16/17 UD Larkin Initial Impressions- Like Zetterberg, Larkin is one of my favorite active players, and the design of of the Initial Impressions set is clean.

2017-18 Upper Deck - Shining Stars Left Wingers #SSL-4 - Henrik Zetterberg
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 4- 17/18 UD Shining Stars Zetterberg- YAAAWWNN. I know, another Zetterberg card, lame. But, this is my set, and the foil look of those UD Cards is sweet, plus it's Henrik.

2016-17 Upper Deck - UD Portraits #P-5 - Pekka Rinne
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 5- 16/17 UD Potriats Pekka Rinne- Rinne is a beast, and the simplicity of the UD Portirat cards makes this an easy choice.

2015-16 Upper Deck - [Base] - Silver Foil Board #6 - Rickard Rakell
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 6- 2015-16 UD Silver Foil Rickard Rakell- Another Silver foil UD card of a Duck, I seriously love this shot.

2017-18 Upper Deck - Portraits #P-7 - Gustav Nyquist
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 7 2017/18 UD Potriats Gustav Nyquist- Another UD Potriat entry, I had to get this Nyquist in there.

2016-17 O-Pee-Chee Platinum - [Base] - Rainbow Color Wheel #8 - Anze Kopitar
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card #8- 16/17 O-Pee Chee Color Wheel Anze Kopitar- I'm a big Kopi fan, and this card truly pops.

2016-17 Upper Deck MVP - Rinkleaders #RL-9 - Henrik Zetterberg
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 9- 2016/17 Rink Leaders Henrik Zetterberg- Third Zetterberg entry in the first ten, but just another solid card of the GOAT

1993-94 Leaf - Hat Trick Artists #10 - Steve Yzerman
Courtesy of COMC.com

Card 10- 93/94 Leaf Hat Trick Artists Steve Yzerman- Had to throw some vintage flair in there! Don't worry, there's plenty more where that came from.
Lionsman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Incetardis

cool choices I like the retro look at the end!
Oleg Petrov most wanted: 08-09 UD Habs Centennial base Parallel /100 #165 - 01-02 Upper Deck base Exclusives /100 #92 - 02-03 Upper Deck MVP Golden Classics /50 #97
Incetardis is offline   Reply With Quote