Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > Off Topic

Notices

Off Topic This section may contain threads that are NSFW. This section is given a bit of leeway on some of the rules and so you may see some mild language and even some risqué images. Please no threads about race, religion, politics, or sexual orientation. Please no self promotion, sign up, or fundraising threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
Lionsman81
Member
 
Lionsman81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Directly North of South Carolina
Posts: 6,130
Default Anyone on here ride sport bikes??

I've had a recent fascination and interest in motorcycles, particularly sport bikes, and am looking at purchasing one. Anyone on here ride or own one? What do you have?
__________________
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR
DETROIT LIONS, TIGERS, RED WINGS, AND MSU SPARTANS
"The agony of victory and the thrill of......well, losing just sucks"- Charles Barkley
Lionsman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #2
daxwills
Member
 
daxwills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 4,990
Default

I have a few motorcycles. If you've not previously owned one I'd go with something like a Honda cbr 600 as it's powerful enough that you won't quickly grow tired of it but not a true track bike so we won't be scrapping you off the road. I'd avoid the high end toys like Ducati, hyabusa, the big liter bikes until you're confident in your riding skills. Even then the only reason to own those is either show off or race as their too powerful to "open up" on the street. Set a budget, see which models you like, take the rider safety course, go for on there.
__________________
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #3
itradeerrors
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 603
Default

I have this 1994 ZX-6 Ninja. I bought it a few years ago with less than 2000 miles on it. The original owner got it as a graduation present and being his first/only bike it scared the crap out of him. He put it in his garage and it sat there for 20 years.

I really like it because it is older and has a way more comfortable riding position than the newer sport bikes. I made a few upgrades that make a huge difference. First and most important was the Corbin seat, factory one hurt my ass if I rode more than a few miles, now I can ride all day with no problems. I also added 1 inch handlebar rises to get a little nicer riding position, dual gel hand grips, some chrome, aftermarket windscreen to get the air flow I wanted, I also put a -1 front sprocket on it.

I can't recommend these bikes enough. They are comfortable to ride long distances and have plenty of power. You can also add power very easily with a -1 front sprocket, a carburetor kit, and some racing fuel.

For some reason the picture down loader isn't working.
itradeerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:49 PM   #4
daxwills
Member
 
daxwills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 4,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itradeerrors View Post
I have this 1994 ZX-6 Ninja. I bought it a few years ago with less than 2000 miles on it. The original owner got it as a graduation present and being his first/only bike it scared the crap out of him. He put it in his garage and it sat there for 20 years.

I really like it because it is older and has a way more comfortable riding position than the newer sport bikes. I made a few upgrades that make a huge difference. First and most important was the Corbin seat, factory one hurt my ass if I rode more than a few miles, now I can ride all day with no problems. I also added 1 inch handlebar rises to get a little nicer riding position, dual gel hand grips, some chrome, aftermarket windscreen to get the air flow I wanted, I also put a -1 front sprocket on it.

I can't recommend these bikes enough. They are comfortable to ride long distances and have plenty of power. You can also add power very easily with a -1 front sprocket, a carburetor kit, and some racing fuel.

For some reason the picture down loader isn't working.
Buying an older bike is great, in theory. We don't know the OPs mechanical ability. Bikes that have literally sat stored away for 2 decades usually have issues. Specifically everything rubber is likely dead. Seals, gaskets, all the fluids, the bulbs, battery, chain, yadda yadda yadda. Yes some people store their toys correctly and you get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. I've always had to do way more work on customers bikes that sat for long periods vs driven for large amounts of miles. They'll also be missing all the modern upgrades.

On the plus side, they're cheaper, and, well yeah they're cheaper. But an entry level sport bike is a 6-8k investment brand new out the box. You can get a few years older model with some mileage well under 5k.
__________________
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
RogerGodahell
Member
 
RogerGodahell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tesla floating around in space
Posts: 10,347
Default

Eh...they aren't that comfortable to ride long distances. My arms and hands used to go numb and my right hip always used to cramp up on me. I had a GSXR 600 that would do at least a buck fiddy. That was like 13 years ago. If i ever buy another bike it'll be a cruiser, probably a Harley. I don't care about going fast anymore, id rather have comfort...and loud noises!
__________________
\J A Y S O N_T A T U M/
RogerGodahell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:18 PM   #6
itradeerrors
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 603
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
Buying an older bike is great, in theory. We don't know the OPs mechanical ability. Bikes that have literally sat stored away for 2 decades usually have issues. Specifically everything rubber is likely dead. Seals, gaskets, all the fluids, the bulbs, battery, chain, yadda yadda yadda. Yes some people store their toys correctly and you get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. I've always had to do way more work on customers bikes that sat for long periods vs driven for large amounts of miles. They'll also be missing all the modern upgrades.

On the plus side, they're cheaper, and, well yeah they're cheaper. But an entry level sport bike is a 6-8k investment brand new out the box. You can get a few years older model with some mileage well under 5k.
I paid a slight premium over what a normal ZX-6 costs that is running but has way more mileage. I loaded mine up at the guys house and unloaded it at the dealer and had them go through everything. I had a total of $2800 into a bike with a little over 1800 miles on it and have never had a problem with it.

I was more recommending the model of bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGodahell View Post
Eh...they aren't that comfortable to ride long distances. My arms and hands used to go numb and my right hip always used to cramp up on me. I had a GSXR 600 that would do at least a buck fiddy. That was like 13 years ago. If i ever buy another bike it'll be a cruiser, probably a Harley. I don't care about going fast anymore, id rather have comfort...and loud noises!
GSXRs are very uncomfortable to ride any distance, especially if stock. The GSXR should have went over 150 easily. I am old so I have only had my Ninja up to 140 but was only in 4th gear. I had 2 more to go and decided I had no need to see what top end was.

Hey got the pictures to load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ninja.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	381182   Click image for larger version

Name:	063.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	655.3 KB
ID:	381183  
itradeerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
daxwills
Member
 
daxwills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 4,990
Default

I'd never recommend a specific model, you can easily substitute my CBR idea for the lower end Kawasaki's, Yamaha's, whatever floats your boat. Keep the displacement around 500-600 and you'll end up with a bike that's quick but won't get an inexperienced rider killed. Every bike has it's fans and detractors. Some people find X comfortable but then you'll find tons of people saying oh my god that's the most uncomfortable thing on the planet. It's impossible to tell someone else what's going to be comfortable to them without them sitting on it and trying it out. It'd be like me telling you what pants to go buy without measurements. Better hope I guess correctly.

Last two sportbikes I did were a Ducati 996 (do not buy that if you're not an experienced rider) and a Kawasaki ZX-14 (extended swing arm, changed some internals, upgraded clutch) which now redlines at 18,000 and we're not sure how fast it goes because even the owner doesn't want to find out. Suffice to say very very fast.

Last thing I made for myself is a 74 Kawasaki 450 (or was it 400?) which I turned into a bobber/cafe type thing. I don't know I got it for 300 bucks, rebuilt the carbs, threw away the parts I didn't like, added a few things, and whole thing cost me 750. Some guy at a show loved it so off it went. Fun bike to ride though really light, decent pick up, looked pretty cool. Had this weird dual exhaust.
__________________
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #8
daxwills
Member
 
daxwills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 4,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerGodahell View Post
Eh...they aren't that comfortable to ride long distances. My arms and hands used to go numb and my right hip always used to cramp up on me. I had a GSXR 600 that would do at least a buck fiddy. That was like 13 years ago. If i ever buy another bike it'll be a cruiser, probably a Harley. I don't care about going fast anymore, id rather have comfort...and loud noises!
Harleys come in a few flavors, several of which are not comfortable. Remember they're all about the "image" thing. So several of their bikes look awesome but basically suck at everything but looking awesome. That's why you can find a lot of really low mileage 3 year old Harleys used for massive discounts off MSRP. Someone had a midlife crisis and they're selling the evidence. When/if you find yourself in the market for one, I'd start with local ads. Just remember rigid suspensions do look great, but holy hell will your spine HATE you if you buy one lol. Your other popular Harley option is the boats, Electra Glides and all the offshoots with a/c, heaters, radios, gps, lazy boy sized seats, now those buggers can cost nearly 40k but if you're going to take the thing cross country, maybe?
__________________
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
lisu
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 4,125
Default

I love my 2001 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit, but I haven't been riding as much as I used to. Since my work commute is only 1.5 miles, I ride a Genuine Buddy Scooter 125 to work - that is a blast.
lisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
daxwills
Member
 
daxwills's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 4,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisu View Post
I love my 2001 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit, but I haven't been riding as much as I used to. Since my work commute is only 1.5 miles, I ride a Genuine Buddy Scooter 125 to work - that is a blast.
The Shadow line is nice, reliable, shaft driven, I was just checking out the new Phantom model it's all blacked out, minor chrome, no emblems. Pretty nice right out of the box. Seriously considering it once I'm done my Civic build.
__________________
"Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
lisu
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 4,125
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
The Shadow line is nice, reliable, shaft driven, I was just checking out the new Phantom model it's all blacked out, minor chrome, no emblems. Pretty nice right out of the box. Seriously considering it once I'm done my Civic build.
I like those Phantom's too, but since it's hard for me to get on my bike as it is now, I'm not looking to get a new moto anytime soon. I'm probably going to sell my Shadow at some point - let someone else enjoy it. Totally fun to ride!
lisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 PM   #12
blackbears86
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maine
Posts: 5,025
Default

I have a 2005 ducati Monster---this was after I had an old Honda 500 interceptor, and a 600 ninja------It's a lot of fun, but thinking of getting a cruiser for my next bike.
blackbears86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.