Blowout Cards Forums
2018 community chest

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #76
asujbl
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 34,981
Send a message via MSN to asujbl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
I am trying to decide if weighing or buying out the store before they even hit the shelves is worse? You guys are both bad for the hobby. Think of the kids!
Keep stirring...

I’m enjoying where you are headed. I started to pull the thread...
__________________
https://ohiosundevils.smugmug.com/
Browns/Cavs/Tribe/Buckeyes/Jackets/Devils
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #77
lauriontj
Member
 
lauriontj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 3,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetyjo View Post
There is no way I would buy packs knowingly that were already searched, what would be the point right? But like it or not the owner of that card shop has the option to do just that if he wants to. Obviously his business would suffer from it because after a while people spending money would realize something was not right. He would be shooting himself in the foot. Honestly I don't even buy sealed boxes from a LCS, they are too easy to search. For example the new Tier One baseball. We have all seen enough box breaks to know that more then likely the heavy box in the case has the major hit. It would be very easy for someone to weigh the boxes and take the heaviest (or lightest for redemptions). There are still decent hits left in the case, but the case hit would be gone. Unless I had absolute trust in the card shop owner I would rather just buy a full case.

Buying retail is a different game then buying at a hobby shop anyways. When the public is offered the opportunity to pick and choose (if it's cards, cars, food, you name it) people will always take the best available first.


Just because people can do it, doesn’t make it right. Period.
__________________
Looking 4 all 2008 SPx American Hero Griffeys #ed/725
I collect Ken Griffey Jr. Give me your Griffey!
lauriontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #78
callers
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 89
Default

I found two displays that had 25 and 24 boxes left out of the 30 and my first thought was someone might have been through with a scale before I got there. Its documented by a few people including myself that you pull 6 autos in the 30 boxes in one display. I didn't open them so I don't know if they were searched or not.

Last edited by callers; 05-24-2018 at 09:33 PM.
callers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #79
IndySportsCards
Member
 
IndySportsCards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Indy's Comic Pressing & Grading
Posts: 35,178
Default

__________________
Indy's Pressing & CGC Comic Grading Service
http://tinyurl.com/hkhpoxk Click the BOOK NOW button on Facebook to Submit Comics!
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #80
3of5-2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 586
Default

I would have knocked his scale on the floor, and "accidentally" stepped on it. Then I would have asked him where is his "homeless, need help" sign.
3of5-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #81
Bassplayah101
Member
 
Bassplayah101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 1 Patriot Place
Posts: 4,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3of5-2 View Post
I would have knocked his scale on the floor, and "accidentally" stepped on it. Then I would have asked him where is his "homeless, need help" sign.
Yup..that scale would have been wiped right off the shelf.


No matter how you slice this, its not right. That's why they keep scratch tickets behind counters, and LCS stores don't allow you to rummage through wax packs.
He is circumventing the odds, while everyone else that might want to buy one gets the shaft.
Bassplayah101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #82
byronscott4ever
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoard4Life View Post
The moral of the story is, your weed scale can be used for other hobbies as well.
When my son was doing a Pinewood Derby car, a dad advised me about small scales and said they were bought by car enthusiasts and well, “you know.”
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #83
dhendrix1303
Member
 
dhendrix1303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 8,271
Default

The guy doesn’t care what people think of him. He’s weighing retail boxes for crying out loud. That’s his life... pretty sad and I pity him. Maybe he does the money more than the average person.
__________________
Buying:
1995 Atlanta Braves autos
Pre-80's Atlanta Braves PSA Vintage
dhendrix1303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #84
Americards
Member
 
Americards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 2,210
Default

He could have just bought the megas and resell them for double or triple the price
Americards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #85
mcgahee21nfl
Member
 
mcgahee21nfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,697
Default

he was prob just weighing the threads boxes for the wiggins 1/1 boxtopper
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #86
byronscott4ever
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
he was prob just weighing the threads boxes for the wiggins 1/1 boxtopper
Lol
Ironically if it’s screen printed, it seems like the weight could be the same
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #87
Kollectornet
Member
 
Kollectornet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 904
Default

Just sad....

People weighing boxes which is plain out cheating the system.
People taking the side or defending such behavior.

If you decide that you are going to buy all the boxes you can get your hands on, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not morally wrong, not thinking about who is coming after you to buy that item. First come, first served even if you can only afford one box or all thousand.

But to weigh boxes is morally wrong. There is no excuse except greed. Then too, you really are leaving possible 'trash' behind for someone else.

I would rather get to the store and find nothing, then to buy boxes that have been weighed. You don't know if they have been weighed or not, there is no real way of telling unless you catch someone like the OP.
__________________
The "Crazed" Harry Douglas Collector. Looking for rare and low numbered Harry Douglas cards.

Collect all Baltimore and Atlanta teams cards.
Kollectornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #88
Slette
Member
 
Slette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 2,143
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetyjo View Post
We had a big discussion about that topic in the forums this last week. I DO NOT BUY RETAIL , AND I DO NOT PACK SEARCH. But it does not bother me that other people do at all. I think every single person uses skill and knowledge to gain competitive advantage in all areas of life as much as they can. Some people admit to it and others pretend they don't or live in denial.
There's where you're wrong - I lack both the skills and knowledge to be successful.

FACE!
__________________
Always overpaying for Donruss Elite RC's, autos, and parallel die-cuts of Chad Greenway, Abdul Hodge, and Dallas Clark, as well as 2011 Exquisite Ricky Stanzi autos.

Working on 2013, 2014, and 2015 Topps Update All Star parallel sets.
Slette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #89
AnthonyCorona
Member
 
AnthonyCorona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 2,379
Default

The debate about weighing can go on but I really don't think it's OK to post someone else's pic. I understand you could be angry but it's not like he murdered someone and people must be looking out for him to avoid harm. It's just cards

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
__________________
Collecting Phil Bickford, Ryan McMahon, Antonio Senzatela, Peter Lambert and any card featuring a player in Modesto A's or Nuts uniform.
AnthonyCorona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #90
blackbears86
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: maine
Posts: 5,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayah101 View Post
Yup..that scale would have been wiped right off the shelf.


No matter how you slice this, its not right. That's why they keep scratch tickets behind counters, and LCS stores don't allow you to rummage through wax packs.He is circumventing the odds, while everyone else that might want to buy one gets the shaft.


This right here.


We all agree that searched/weighed packs in a hobby shop are WRONG.


Why are people here saying that retail searching/weighing is ok?



If you walked into your local target and saw this moron weighing all the packs/boxes would you buy them?
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #91
bounty37h
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Cackalacky
Posts: 911
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollectornet View Post
Just sad....

People weighing boxes which is plain out cheating the system.
People taking the side or defending such behavior.

If you decide that you are going to buy all the boxes you can get your hands on, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not morally wrong, not thinking about who is coming after you to buy that item. First come, first served even if you can only afford one box or all thousand.

But to weigh boxes is morally wrong. There is no excuse except greed. Then too, you really are leaving possible 'trash' behind for someone else.

I would rather get to the store and find nothing, then to buy boxes that have been weighed. You don't know if they have been weighed or not, there is no real way of telling unless you catch someone like the OP.
I get where your coming from and agree with some, but I thin both could be considered morally wrong, just on different levels. You say weighing is morally wrong and is nothing but greed. Buying all the boxes up, esp if just to turn around and sell them at a markup is total greed too IMO. I agree the weighing is much worse and would rather not find any then something that has been searched already.
__________________
Looking for UNC and Reds cards/autos/memorabilia. Go Heels Go Reds
bounty37h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #92
Hamfisted9
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 922
Default

These mega boxes bring out the worst in people. Period. I don’t agree with 75% of what people are currently doing. Weighing boxes....wrong. Going in warehouses to find the boxes....wrong. Buying every box to turn around and sell....wrong. Unless you are buying to open, there is very little differentiation between all of this. Buying all the Megas you can because there is profit in them instead of all the opening day blasters is not far off from buying searched boxes assuming more value in them.

Last night I realized this hobby has become too stressful. If you want to get your hands on products like this you have to check 6 stores every day and do a spiritual ritual dance in hopes of finding a few. An hour late of hitting the shelves and you are SOL.
Hamfisted9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #93
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 3,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
The debate about weighing can go on but I really don't think it's OK to post someone else's pic. I understand you could be angry but it's not like he murdered someone and people must be looking out for him to avoid harm. It's just cards

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Well said. The OP should have edited the guy's face out before posting a picture taken in public, that way nobody could identify the culprit.

lauriontj I grant you permission to use my edited photo of the pack searcher to avoid any trouble.



GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #94
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,889
Default

It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to post his pic. WHY? Because the entire internet knowing what he looks like, does NOTHING. Are you going to arrest him now that you have his pic? Are you going to steal his cards?

What are you going to do now that you have his pic? He will continue to pack search, and thats it. This thread, the complaining, the pic, do nothing.

Face it, this thread was made because the OP wanted to have some entertainment by watching a bunch of people losing their minds over the pack searcher.

Tell me I am wrong.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #95
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,889
Default

Guy looks completely harmless too. He was polite to you and did not even get angry. Yet we have the same people in this thread who want to roast him, going into target stock rooms on LADDERS trying to find mega boxes so they can resell them.

You cant make it up.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #96
RaceDog
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 227
Default

My position only and I am not calling anyone out, just my POV from my life expereinces:

Molesting and weighing packs/boxes is wrong and greedy.
Buying out the whole lot found and turning around and selling for profit is not something I would do. Wrong/Greedy...I don't know, I leave that up to each and their moral compass as it is not my place to judge.
Buying out the whole lot to open or give to friends is OK. Same if you want to sell at cost plus shipping to help other forumites that have crappy Targets around.

**I/my wife were fortunate to be at the right place at the right times (some were left for others by my wife - 5 for me 25 for anyone that followed). I ended up with 12 and enjoyed opening all of them with my son....Happy times!! ****
RaceDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #97
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 3,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to post his pic. WHY? Because the entire internet knowing what he looks like, does NOTHING. Are you going to arrest him now that you have his pic? Are you going to steal his cards?

What are you going to do now that you have his pic? He will continue to pack search, and thats it. This thread, the complaining, the pic, do nothing.

Face it, this thread was made because the OP wanted to have some entertainment by watching a bunch of people losing their minds over the pack searcher.

Tell me I am wrong.
You're wrong.
GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #98
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
You're wrong.
No, you just like to argue. You are simply one of the many people in this world who think they are right, when in fact you are always wrong.

You do not have a clue.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #99
GeechQuest
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 3,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
No, you just like to argue. You are simply one of the many people in this world who think they are right, when in fact you are always wrong.

You do not have a clue.
I was just doing what you asked.... “tell me I am wrong” ring a bell?
GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #100
prospects
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
I was just doing what you asked.... “tell me I am wrong” ring a bell?
right
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.