Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-24-2018, 09:16 PM   #76
asujbl

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
I am trying to decide if weighing or buying out the store before they even hit the shelves is worse? You guys are both bad for the hobby. Think of the kids!
Keep stirring...

I’m enjoying where you are headed. I started to pull the thread...
Old 05-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #77
lauriontj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetyjo View Post
There is no way I would buy packs knowingly that were already searched, what would be the point right? But like it or not the owner of that card shop has the option to do just that if he wants to. Obviously his business would suffer from it because after a while people spending money would realize something was not right. He would be shooting himself in the foot. Honestly I don't even buy sealed boxes from a LCS, they are too easy to search. For example the new Tier One baseball. We have all seen enough box breaks to know that more then likely the heavy box in the case has the major hit. It would be very easy for someone to weigh the boxes and take the heaviest (or lightest for redemptions). There are still decent hits left in the case, but the case hit would be gone. Unless I had absolute trust in the card shop owner I would rather just buy a full case.

Buying retail is a different game then buying at a hobby shop anyways. When the public is offered the opportunity to pick and choose (if it's cards, cars, food, you name it) people will always take the best available first.

Just because people can do it, doesn’t make it right. Period.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:26 PM   #78
callers

I found two displays that had 25 and 24 boxes left out of the 30 and my first thought was someone might have been through with a scale before I got there. Its documented by a few people including myself that you pull 6 autos in the 30 boxes in one display. I didn't open them so I don't know if they were searched or not.

Last edited by callers; 05-24-2018 at 09:33 PM.
callers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:35 PM   #79
IndySportsCards

Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #80
3of5-2

I would have knocked his scale on the floor, and "accidentally" stepped on it. Then I would have asked him where is his "homeless, need help" sign.
3of5-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #81
Bassplayah101

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3of5-2 View Post
I would have knocked his scale on the floor, and "accidentally" stepped on it. Then I would have asked him where is his "homeless, need help" sign.
Yup..that scale would have been wiped right off the shelf.

No matter how you slice this, its not right. That's why they keep scratch tickets behind counters, and LCS stores don't allow you to rummage through wax packs.
He is circumventing the odds, while everyone else that might want to buy one gets the shaft.
Bassplayah101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #82
byronscott4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardBoard4Life View Post
The moral of the story is, your weed scale can be used for other hobbies as well.
When my son was doing a Pinewood Derby car, a dad advised me about small scales and said they were bought by car enthusiasts and well, “you know.”
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM   #83
dhendrix1303

The guy doesn’t care what people think of him. He’s weighing retail boxes for crying out loud. That’s his life... pretty sad and I pity him. Maybe he does the money more than the average person.
dhendrix1303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:34 AM   #84
Americards

He could have just bought the megas and resell them for double or triple the price
Americards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #85
mcgahee21nfl

he was prob just weighing the threads boxes for the wiggins 1/1 boxtopper
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:25 AM   #86
byronscott4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
he was prob just weighing the threads boxes for the wiggins 1/1 boxtopper
Lol
Ironically if it’s screen printed, it seems like the weight could be the same
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #87
Kollectornet

Just sad....

People weighing boxes which is plain out cheating the system.
People taking the side or defending such behavior.

If you decide that you are going to buy all the boxes you can get your hands on, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not morally wrong, not thinking about who is coming after you to buy that item. First come, first served even if you can only afford one box or all thousand.

But to weigh boxes is morally wrong. There is no excuse except greed. Then too, you really are leaving possible 'trash' behind for someone else.

I would rather get to the store and find nothing, then to buy boxes that have been weighed. You don't know if they have been weighed or not, there is no real way of telling unless you catch someone like the OP.

Collect all Baltimore and Atlanta teams cards.
Kollectornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #88
Slette

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetyjo View Post
We had a big discussion about that topic in the forums this last week. I DO NOT BUY RETAIL , AND I DO NOT PACK SEARCH. But it does not bother me that other people do at all. I think every single person uses skill and knowledge to gain competitive advantage in all areas of life as much as they can. Some people admit to it and others pretend they don't or live in denial.
There's where you're wrong - I lack both the skills and knowledge to be successful.

FACE!

Working on 2013, 2014, and 2015 Topps Update All Star parallel sets.
Slette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #89
AnthonyCorona

The debate about weighing can go on but I really don't think it's OK to post someone else's pic. I understand you could be angry but it's not like he murdered someone and people must be looking out for him to avoid harm. It's just cards

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #90
blackbears86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassplayah101 View Post
Yup..that scale would have been wiped right off the shelf.

No matter how you slice this, its not right. That's why they keep scratch tickets behind counters, and LCS stores don't allow you to rummage through wax packs.He is circumventing the odds, while everyone else that might want to buy one gets the shaft.

This right here.

We all agree that searched/weighed packs in a hobby shop are WRONG.

Why are people here saying that retail searching/weighing is ok?

If you walked into your local target and saw this moron weighing all the packs/boxes would you buy them?
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #91
bounty37h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kollectornet View Post
Just sad....

People weighing boxes which is plain out cheating the system.
People taking the side or defending such behavior.

If you decide that you are going to buy all the boxes you can get your hands on, there is nothing wrong with that. It is not morally wrong, not thinking about who is coming after you to buy that item. First come, first served even if you can only afford one box or all thousand.

But to weigh boxes is morally wrong. There is no excuse except greed. Then too, you really are leaving possible 'trash' behind for someone else.

I would rather get to the store and find nothing, then to buy boxes that have been weighed. You don't know if they have been weighed or not, there is no real way of telling unless you catch someone like the OP.
I get where your coming from and agree with some, but I thin both could be considered morally wrong, just on different levels. You say weighing is morally wrong and is nothing but greed. Buying all the boxes up, esp if just to turn around and sell them at a markup is total greed too IMO. I agree the weighing is much worse and would rather not find any then something that has been searched already.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #92
Hamfisted9

These mega boxes bring out the worst in people. Period. I don’t agree with 75% of what people are currently doing. Weighing boxes....wrong. Going in warehouses to find the boxes....wrong. Buying every box to turn around and sell....wrong. Unless you are buying to open, there is very little differentiation between all of this. Buying all the Megas you can because there is profit in them instead of all the opening day blasters is not far off from buying searched boxes assuming more value in them.

Last night I realized this hobby has become too stressful. If you want to get your hands on products like this you have to check 6 stores every day and do a spiritual ritual dance in hopes of finding a few. An hour late of hitting the shelves and you are SOL.
Hamfisted9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #93
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyCorona View Post
The debate about weighing can go on but I really don't think it's OK to post someone else's pic. I understand you could be angry but it's not like he murdered someone and people must be looking out for him to avoid harm. It's just cards

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Well said. The OP should have edited the guy's face out before posting a picture taken in public, that way nobody could identify the culprit.

lauriontj I grant you permission to use my edited photo of the pack searcher to avoid any trouble.

GeechQuest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #94
prospects

It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to post his pic. WHY? Because the entire internet knowing what he looks like, does NOTHING. Are you going to arrest him now that you have his pic? Are you going to steal his cards?

What are you going to do now that you have his pic? He will continue to pack search, and thats it. This thread, the complaining, the pic, do nothing.

Face it, this thread was made because the OP wanted to have some entertainment by watching a bunch of people losing their minds over the pack searcher.

Tell me I am wrong.
prospects is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #95
prospects

Guy looks completely harmless too. He was polite to you and did not even get angry. Yet we have the same people in this thread who want to roast him, going into target stock rooms on LADDERS trying to find mega boxes so they can resell them.

You cant make it up.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #96
RaceDog

My position only and I am not calling anyone out, just my POV from my life expereinces:

Molesting and weighing packs/boxes is wrong and greedy.
Buying out the whole lot found and turning around and selling for profit is not something I would do. Wrong/Greedy...I don't know, I leave that up to each and their moral compass as it is not my place to judge.
Buying out the whole lot to open or give to friends is OK. Same if you want to sell at cost plus shipping to help other forumites that have crappy Targets around.

**I/my wife were fortunate to be at the right place at the right times (some were left for others by my wife - 5 for me 25 for anyone that followed). I ended up with 12 and enjoyed opening all of them with my son....Happy times!! ****
RaceDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #97
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
It is absolutely RIDICULOUS to post his pic. WHY? Because the entire internet knowing what he looks like, does NOTHING. Are you going to arrest him now that you have his pic? Are you going to steal his cards?

What are you going to do now that you have his pic? He will continue to pack search, and thats it. This thread, the complaining, the pic, do nothing.

Face it, this thread was made because the OP wanted to have some entertainment by watching a bunch of people losing their minds over the pack searcher.

Tell me I am wrong.
You're wrong.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #98
prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
You're wrong.
No, you just like to argue. You are simply one of the many people in this world who think they are right, when in fact you are always wrong.

You do not have a clue.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:13 PM   #99
GeechQuest

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
No, you just like to argue. You are simply one of the many people in this world who think they are right, when in fact you are always wrong.

You do not have a clue.
I was just doing what you asked.... “tell me I am wrong” ring a bell?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #100
prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeechQuest View Post
I was just doing what you asked.... “tell me I am wrong” ring a bell?
right