Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #126
BestRCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the27guy View Post
#94 - 2005-06 Ultimate Collection Quad Auto Rookies - the top 4 overall picks

After serving a two year mission for my church, I returned home in late 2004 to find that my beloved Jazz were one of the worst teams in the league. The team clearly needed a leader and a point guard.

After a trade the day before the draft the jazz owned the number three pick and a chance to acquire the best point guard of the draft. People in Salt Lake were split down the line. Half wanted Paul, and the other half, D-Will. I’ll never forget Jay Bilas being asked who the best leader in the draft was. His answer without hesitation - Deron Williams. The rest is history.

Williams and Paul became probably the two best players in a really sub-par draft. Marvin Williams never materialized. Bogut’s injuries cost him a chance at greater heights. Picks after #4 didn’t get any better with Ray Felton, Martell Webster, Charlie Villenueva, Channing Frye, Ike Diogu, Andrew Bynum, Fran Vazquez, Yaroslav Korolev, Sean May and Rashad McCants rounding out the lottery. Eek.

Multi-auto cards are hit and miss. Years after they are created, the featured players usually lose their connection. The one exception to this rule is cards from the top of the draft. They represent a moment in time that nearly always has massive impacts on the future of the league. 2005 was no exception.

That's a really cool card. I like "moment in time" cards like this. 2005 NBA draft picks 1-4. A great way to go through memory lane.

Its funny to see CP3 and his "peers" at the time.... jettison to now and its quite a trip to see he was picked 4th behind 3 players who aren't quite on his level.
BestRCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #127
the27guy

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestRCs View Post
That's a really cool card. I like "moment in time" cards like this. 2005 NBA draft picks 1-4. A great way to go through memory lane.

Its funny to see CP3 and his "peers" at the time.... jettison to now and its quite a trip to see he was picked 4th behind 3 players who aren't quite on his level.
So here’s a funny question. Did the jazz make the wrong pick?

As in, who got more out of their pick, the Jazz at 3 or the hornets at 4?

And also, does anyone know if this is the only on card auto of those 4?
the27guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 PM   #128
NoleinJax

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLUCKYshow View Post
Lol I never realized how Goberts signature looks like the outline of a cartoon nose and mouth.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
At least it's not Enzo Amore's signature.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #129
yaoming

I cant say Jazz picked the wrong player
the first 5-6 years of their career, Deron Williams was just as good as Chris Paul (some will say better)
The Jazz team w DWill/Boozer/Kirilenko were very solid team, I wished they had stayed together...
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #130
the27guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaoming View Post
the first 5-6 years of their career, Deron Williams was just as good as Chris Paul (some will say better)
The Jazz team w DWill/Boozer/Kirilenko were very solid team, I wished they had stayed together...
I still say your rockets would have gotten a championship if they didn’t face the jazz in 07.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #131
yaoming

I am actually not a rockets fan lol
however, in 2008, they should ve beat the Lakers had Yao Ming didn't break his foot AND if T Mac played
That team was loaded (Ron artest, kyle lowry, Shane Battier, etc)
yaoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #132
the27guy

Quote:
I am actually not a rockets fan lol
however, in 2008, they should ve beat the Lakers had Yao Ming didn't break his foot AND if T Mac played
That team was loaded (Ron artest, kyle lowry, Shane Battier, etc)
Just a Yao fan?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #133
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DajuanWagner View Post
ILL-INI...…….
That Arizona game tho....
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #134
frisbeesteve

As many have already said, this thread is a serious treat! Thanks OP for the great daily sharing of monsters, and the accompanying write-ups giving background thoughts and information on what looks like will be quite the variety of different cards and players. Also, the additional conversations are great as well... just good stuff all the way around for this hobby!
frisbeesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #135
JHH

I've been super excited since day 1 when this thread came out, and been checking daily to see what's next out of the top 100 cards.
But.......right now I can't take it no more can't wait to see more!!! Maybe two per day will be better? b/c currently there's still 93 dayz to go!!! Can't wait to see them all lol
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:47 AM   #136
the27guy

Thanks JHH and Harper for the kind words. I’m glad that each of you seem to be enjoying the countdown. I hope others will also seek to rank their collections this way. It’s fun and meaningful.

#93 in a few hours. Good night!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 AM   #137
derder

Quote:
/Brewer
derder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 AM   #138
the27guy

#93 Bob Pettit 1999 Century Legends Epic Signatures Gold Auto 1/100

One of the primary ways I have built my collection is by buying collections and keeping the stuff that I really like while selling off the rest.

If you can buy a lot of ten cards for $100 and sell the first nine for $100, you can keep the last at a cost of $0, even if it’s a $25 card.

This sounds really simplistic, but it’s the primary way I’ve built my collection. I have always been on a pretty tight budget. The majority of cards in this list fit this description. Most of them came to me in a way where obtaining them was achievable on a budget by selling the rest of the lot or collection.

In short, I’ve only kept the best cards that I could afford to keep - and I would strongly advise everyone to do the same.

There will always be people in the hobby with a lot more money than me, but I have always felt that if you’re willing to be diligent and smart, you can build something really cool.

That long-winded intro brings us to the card of the day.

Every once in a while, I buy a collection and find that a card contained therein appeals to me more in-hand then I previously anticipated.

That’s what happened with Mr Pettit.

In the lot that I purchased, the Pettit was probably one of the least valuable cards, but it was also one that appealed the most to me.

The autograph is perfect. Blue. Blue. BLUE. You couldn’t hope for better color on a 1999 autograph. The picture is perfect. The “01/100” is perfect.

I pulled non-gold autographs of Elgin Baylor and another player that I can’t remember when I was young out of consecutive packs. One of my fondest memories.

I’m sure several of the cards that preceded it in this list are worth more at open auction, but given the cards rarity and appeal, I felt #93 was appropriate.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:30 AM   #139
daeve

oh that's a beaut
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:33 AM   #140
smalltown

Quote:
#93 Bob Pettit 1999 Century Legends Epic Signatures Gold Auto 1/100
Pretty card. I almost bought one of those the other day. Being 1/100 is a nice bonus.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #141
jmmintz

Very nice!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #142
Chain

I'm really envious of that Pettit, awesome card.
Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #143
duron

Always been partial to the Legendary Signatures set.
It was actually the last auto I've ever pulled from a box, or even pack.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #144
8collector34

Loving it so far. I hope there will be a Kobe or Shaq card somewhere. Something tells me there will be. Your system might mot work for an international niche collector like me, but I have great admiration for people who use their hobby budget well.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:20 AM   #145
the27guy

#92 - Elgin Baylor 1961-62 Fleer Rookie PSA/DNA autograph

In 2015, I traded a top ten card that I have ever owned. One of two PSA/DNA graded Wilt Chamberlain Autographed rookie cards. I hadn’t intended on selling or trading it, but the person who contacted me about it needed it for the set of autographed 61 fleer’s he was putting together. He was kind, patient and considerate.... and I knew that I was the only person who could help. I’m kind of a sucker for those situations. That’s not the only card I have sold because someone “needed it”. More on that later.

This Baylor was one of 4 cards that I received as well as a nice amount of cash. I still miss the Wilt.

Elgin has become a historically under-appreciated star. Look at his scoring and rebound numbers and you will find he’s arguably a top 20 guy in the history of the league.

The 1961 set sports beautiful colors and design. This Baylor is no exception.

With a perfectly blue, and perfectly centered autograph to boot, this piece of the collection is here to stay.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #146
jmmintz

I dig vintage, and that's a solid card right there.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #147
charly41

aaah, Vintage - really love those old sets but have been too lazy to put together some in the past, maybe I'll change my mind and try some

Quote:

In 2015, I traded a top ten card that I have ever owned. One of two PSA/DNA graded Wilt Chamberlain Autographed rookie cards. I hadn’t intended on selling or trading it, but the person who contacted me about it needed it for the set of autographed 61 fleer’s he was putting together. He was kind, patient and considerate.... and I knew that I was the only person who could help. I’m kind of a sucker for those situations. That’s not the only card I have sold because someone “needed it”. More on that later.

This Baylor was one of 4 cards that I received as well as a nice amount of cash. I still miss the Wilt.

Elgin has become a historically under-appreciated star. Look at his scoring and rebound numbers and you will find he’s arguably a top 20 guy in the history of the league.

With a perfectly blue, and perfectly centered autograph to boot, this piece of the collection is here to stay.

Abra is the Master of Photography (MoP)
charly41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #148
Deadshot

I think Elgin is the most underrated star in NBA history. Not to mention that his injury and subsequent retirement also coincided with the one year the Lakers finally got over the hump and won a ring...just very unfortunate all the way around.
Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #149
smalltown

Quote:

Beautiful card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
I think Elgin is the most underrated star in NBA history. Not to mention that his injury and subsequent retirement also coincided with the one year the Lakers finally got over the hump and won a ring...just very unfortunate all the way around.
So underrated! Easiest way to put it. Baylor was Kobe before Kobe. He was a beast.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #150
the27guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
Guys who don’t get championships just get lost in the shuffle, and while maybe that should happen to some guys, that SHOULD NOT happen to guys who go for 27.4 and 13.5 over a 14 year career for one franchise.

His time as an executive also does not help.

Last thing about this one - according to the population report, only 35 Elgin Rookie autographs have been graded by PSS/DNA - and only 4 graded higher than this one.