Blowout Cards Forums
Wave Wed

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #1
Raymond23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 207
Default How much do we know about upcoming Star Wars sets?

What do we know about upcoming Topps Star Wars movie release sets? The Last Jedi Series 1 is coming Dec 20. This will have the next 5 cards of the "Rey Continuity" set (cards 6-10 out of 15). I heard that there is no Series 2 planned anymore. Can someone confirm this? If so, will there be 10 Continuity cards released in this set or will Topps stop at 10? Or will they just add them to some other random set (because, it's Topps). If this is the only set for TLJ (besides journey and countdown), will it have a story summary like we have usually seen in Series 2 cards? Would we know by now if there is a series 2 (I would think artists would be lined up for sketch cards and distributors would have received preliminary info by now).

Han movie set is coming in May (Sell sheet just dropped) Looks like no "Journey To Han" this time and I believe I read on this page that there would be no Series 2 for that set either. Can anyone confirm this? Any sketch artists working on this set yet or contracted for it?

Finally, it sounds like episode 9 will get a December 2019 release now. Have we heard if Disney will try to move film releases back to May in 2020 and beyond, or just continue with Christmas releases (I'm guessing that this is way too far down the road to know at this point).

Besides these, Stelar Signatures, and Black + White, any other sets in the pipeline?

Thanks!
Raymond23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Plinth
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 182
Default

Here's what has been announced so far:

December 2017 - Stellar Signatures
December 2017 - High Tek
December 2017 - The Last Jedi
February 2018 - A New Hope - Black & White
May 2018 - Solo

There's been rumblings in the art community of another Galaxy set being worked on for later in the year.

As for the Last Jedi, I've seen no confirmation anywhere that there won't be a series 2, but we've yet to see any announcement either. In 2016, Rogue One series 1 was announced in July, and titled as being "series 1." Rogue One series 2 was announced by October.

This upcoming Last Jedi set has never had any mention of a "series" in the sell sheet. Same with the Solo movie, just going by what appears on the sell sheet.

---

Episode 9 will be a December 2019 release, but Disney didn't want it that way. Ticket sales are always better in the summer, when people can get out and stand in lines. Going forward, I believe they will try to pin them to May.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
kyle1707
Member
 
kyle1707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14,840
Default

If there going to keep making so many products


Make finest all on Card

I keep hearing about galaxy 8..

It’s been along time but I think cost was in 50-60 dollars

But it also was no auto and a sketch every other box

Amazing what rarity does that way ..stuff sold really well

Market is so flooded not sure it can come back very soon

New trilogy will help in 5 years but until then ?

Last edited by kyle1707; 12-02-2017 at 10:59 AM.
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #4
Plinth
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 182
Default

It's possible that Topps is indeed trying to cut back, while still paying for the license. Rogue One Chrome was announced to have a summer 2017 release, but was dropped at some point after buyer outcry that it was too much. And we see here possible evidence that Last Jedi and Solo are getting pulled back on from having a second series each.

Could the introduction of Stellar be a way for Topps cut back on so many mid and low-range sets? A big one-shot of high-end breaker and collector dollars offsets the revenue from two or three such releases? I'd like to hear some buyer's thoughts on this.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
joudenjouden
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,241
Default

I can say this about Galaxy 8:

-It won't be called galaxy 8 (like be like Galactic Files Reborn)
-The 12x18 art pieces that will make up the base set are due Christmas
-Sketches due later (they haven't even gone out yet)

I wouldn't expect this set until at least July-August, and it could be even later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joudenjouden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Rootleaf
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 452
Default

I hope someone from Topps is reading this and uses those 12x18 art pieces as redemption hits. Put a redemption code on the back of the 1/1 parallel to make that a monster hit.
And while I'm dreaming, give us multi-panel sketches or 5x7 sketches or sketchbooks or sketch puzzles that are already in nice custom holders. I'm envisioning a Marvel Premier type tin for packaging.
Rootleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
ForceChange77
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,255
Default

where did you read that they arent planning a Last Jedi Series 2? Of course there will be, especially without a movie coming out next November. Whether it a series 2, or a last jedi chrome, I don't know. But no doubt one is coming, it just hasn't been discussed yet.
ForceChange77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Fenway55
Member
 
Fenway55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 568
Default

I highly doubt the Rey continuity will stop at 10. There will be *plenty* of opportunities to finish it off, even if they wait all the way until E9.
Fenway55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Spider-Fan
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinth View Post
Episode 9 will be a December 2019 release, but Disney didn't want it that way. Ticket sales are always better in the summer, when people can get out and stand in lines. Going forward, I believe they will try to pin them to May.
People stand in lines for movie tickets? Those lines are outside?

Personally I find it hard to believe Star Wars will make significantly more money in May. Maybe a little because more people go out in May, but... People go out for Star Wars. Plus there will be blockbusters to contend with in May. Star Wars owns Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootleaf View Post
I hope someone from Topps is reading this and uses those 12x18 art pieces as redemption hits. Put a redemption code on the back of the 1/1 parallel to make that a monster hit.
And while I'm dreaming, give us multi-panel sketches or 5x7 sketches or sketchbooks or sketch puzzles that are already in nice custom holders. I'm envisioning a Marvel Premier type tin for packaging.
It's unlikely Topps will own that artwork. If they do, they will probably sell it instead of giving it away...
__________________
Collecting Sketch Cards: Spider-Man and his allies/enemies; Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn | Collecting Comics: Carnage, Harley Quinn, TMNT, J. Scott Campbell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Non-Sports Card Buy/Sell/Trade thread: http://tinyurl.com/Spider-Fan-NSBST
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
Plinth
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
People stand in lines for movie tickets? Those lines are outside?

Personally I find it hard to believe Star Wars will make significantly more money in May. Maybe a little because more people go out in May, but... People go out for Star Wars. Plus there will be blockbusters to contend with in May. Star Wars owns Christmas.
The money could indeed be significantly more. Here’s some seasonal data to look at from Box Office Mojo:

2017 Summer - $3,776,000,000
2016 Holiday - $2,882,000,000
2016 Summer - $4,452,000,000
2015 Holiday - $2,845,000,000
2015 Summer - $4,461,000,000

The Star Wars movies have owned the holiday season so far, as you say, but Disney shareholders want to own the year. They want the biggest bang you can get.

There’s a reason why the Han Solo movie is being released in May 2018, and not next Christmas. And Ron Howard is under the gun to make it happen.

Episode 9 was scheduled for a May 2019 release, but after Carrie Fisher’s passing, massive rewrites and change in director necessitated a reluctant push back to December.

I think it really wouldn't be surprising that all subsequent films will be scheduled in May going forward.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
Plinth
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 182
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceChange77 View Post
where did you read that they arent planning a Last Jedi Series 2? Of course there will be, especially without a movie coming out next November. Whether it a series 2, or a last jedi chrome, I don't know. But no doubt one is coming, it just hasn't been discussed yet.
I haven't read it anywhere. Just speculating because I thought we would have heard about it my now. Rogue One series 2 was announced by October, and we're at December now.

They could very well release a Last Jedi series 2 or chrome sometime. Topps is in a kind of tricky spot due to the scheduling of the Han Solo movie.

TLJ Chrome could be a beautiful looking set.
Plinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
Spider-Fan
Member
 
Spider-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinth View Post
The money could indeed be significantly more. Here’s some seasonal data to look at from Box Office Mojo:

2017 Summer - $3,776,000,000
2016 Holiday - $2,882,000,000
2016 Summer - $4,452,000,000
2015 Holiday - $2,845,000,000
2015 Summer - $4,461,000,000

The Star Wars movies have owned the holiday season so far, as you say, but Disney shareholders want to own the year. They want the biggest bang you can get.

There’s a reason why the Han Solo movie is being released in May 2018, and not next Christmas. And Ron Howard is under the gun to make it happen.

Episode 9 was scheduled for a May 2019 release, but after Carrie Fisher’s passing, massive rewrites and change in director necessitated a reluctant push back to December.

I think it really wouldn't be surprising that all subsequent films will be scheduled in May going forward.
I still believe your logic is flawed. The short answer, Force Awakens has the highest grossing opening weekend. Longer answer in a nutshell, those numbers are comprehensive not for a single film. May the forth be with you nonetheless...

EDIT: More movies = More $$$... If you click the links to see the individual film gross for each of those seasons you'll see Star Wars is unlikely to gross significantly more...
__________________
Collecting Sketch Cards: Spider-Man and his allies/enemies; Batman, Joker, Harley Quinn | Collecting Comics: Carnage, Harley Quinn, TMNT, J. Scott Campbell
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Non-Sports Card Buy/Sell/Trade thread: http://tinyurl.com/Spider-Fan-NSBST

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 12-03-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
jdhaugh11
Member
 
jdhaugh11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 6,005
Default

High Tek 3 comes out in 10 days and we know very little.
Sure we can speculate about 75% of it based on the sell sheet, what the product has been like the 1st 2 years and the signer list for MW3, but I still wish Topps was a little more transparent.
They should release the full checklist this Wednesday though.
jdhaugh11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #14
dd316
Member
 
dd316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootleaf View Post
I hope someone from Topps is reading this and uses those 12x18 art pieces as redemption hits. Put a redemption code on the back of the 1/1 parallel to make that a monster hit.
As many artists work digitally, I don't know if this is possible.

And like Spider-Fan said, it's unlikely Topps will own the original artwork. I know when artists do prints for SW Celebration conventions, Lucasfilm has first right of refusal to purchase the originals. That may work here, as well.
__________________
MY ARTWORK - tdastick.deviantart.com
dd316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Vargaman
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I still believe your logic is flawed. The short answer, Force Awakens has the highest grossing opening weekend. Longer answer in a nutshell, those numbers are comprehensive not for a single film. May the forth be with you nonetheless...

EDIT: More movies = More $$$... If you click the links to see the individual film gross for each of those seasons you'll see Star Wars is unlikely to gross significantly more...
Are we all forgetting the simple fact that it doesn't matter when it comes out, people will flock to theaters because it's Star Wars?

The waiting in lines argument is flawed nowadays with Fandango and more theaters having online ticketing and even reserved seating so you don't have to wait an hour to get a good seat.


The only thing Disney has to figure out is to spread enough time so they don't release two films too close together. For example, in 2018 Avengers Infinity War comes out 5/4 and Han Solo comes out 5/25 to give 3 weeks for people to see Avengers.

However, in hindsight, they should've swapped the dates and gave May the 4th to Star Wars, but I'm honestly way too excited for Infinity War to care about Han Solo. And Deadpool 2 comes on the heels of Solo, 1 week later.
__________________
Topps STAR WARS: Mikeinator1st ; BUNT & HUDDLE: Mikeinator ; KICK: Mikeinator360

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.