Blowout Cards Forums
allen

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-16-2018, 03:49 AM   #51
Exquisite074

Same as everyone else - mainly shops & shows - but in 1994 - P*. If anyone here even knows what that is - great times bro!!! Anyway, that was Prodigy Online and was out way before AOL and there was a great message board where we all traded, then migrated to AOL in 96/97 or so... BUT, as some have pointed out about those WalMart Packs - they had a $30 pack that had some crap packs, BUT 3 guaranteed 93/94 Finest Refractors! I bought out every store in my area - and found that if Gary Grant was on the front - you got a Penny Hardaway RC in it! Held true nationwide, and I put together 2 sets of Refractors that I sold for $2k each around '96 when the lemmings jumped on them with all the up arrows in that junk mag... that's also when I realized how corrupt Beckett was - as someone was posting on Prodigy that he was buying as many as he could get of certain cards - I sold my dupes (still had my 2 sets) and then went and bought what he needed from local shops... then I got asked by the owner of one shop - Butch & Zach's in Stockton, CA for anyone who remembers that - how I knew that those cards were rare and were going to go up... I had no idea what he was talking about, I was just getting the cards someone posted he needed on Prodigy... but the new Beckett had all those cards now with an Asterix and call them SP's... NOT! They aren't SP's at all, in fact many were the ones you could pull out of those WalMart packs! Not short prints, but I called them "differently distributed". Anyway, I still had a bunch and sold off as some went from $1-5 to $50-100 in a few months before crashing back down. Don't get me wrong, in later years there really were SP's, but not that first year! Heck, there are more SP 93/94 1st days - not because less were made, but because many commons were destroyed to make fake star 1st days... Anyway, I learned a lot about the hobby and the people in it during that time - much different than the 80's and it changed how I collect then and still do to this day, good times!
Exquisite074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #52
djohn

Shops and shows were great, especially for the early to mid 90s, but I remember going online in about 1996 and finding lots of cards that way. Back in that time, there were lots of online avenues to buy, sell and trade cards: AOL chatrooms, Yahoo Auctions, email auctions run by various sellers, BBS (bulletin board services), and many more. Then about the time the really rare stuff hit, eBay was there and became another market to buy and sell cards.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #53
DajuanWagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianny_Fan View Post
Ebay was around since 97/97? No kidding? I got into the ebay game back in 2001. Not for cards. But for buying car parts to modify my Acura Rsx-S. Didn't get back to cards until one night (2006) youtubing Lebron James. Seeing his highlights made me do a quick ebay search on his cards. How much the hobby had changed blew me away. I remember back than (2006) you could get Lebron Topps chrome rcs for $50 all day everyday.

I've been on ebay since 1997, so I can attest that it has been around that long. It was pretty young back then........
DajuanWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #54
Starman101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianny_Fan View Post
Ebay was around since 97/97? No kidding? I got into the ebay game back in 2001
I started collecting MJ cards here and there from 1992-1995, but exclusively in 1995 when I heard he was returning to basketball, after his first retirement. At that time I picked up the majority of my Jordans from LCS, local card shows in Brooklyn, NY and from a mail order company called Sportkings in CA I found about from ads in Sports Collector's Digest back in the mid to late 90s. Sportskings used to sell cards at 30-40% Beckett high value back in those days. And looking back i wished i coukld have purchased more, especially considering the 90s Jordan surge over the past few years

I took a break from basketball cards around 1998 as the hobby was just becoming too expensive for me at the time....

I didnt get an Ebay account until 2002 in which I was feverishly collecting vintage AFA Star Wars figures at the time

Then one day back in late September 2011 I saw a Beckett issue with Jordan on the cover (the October 2011 issue with Jordan Rules on the cover. Lol) at a local Comic / Toy shop called Galaxy collectibles on 5th Avenue, Brooklyn and after reading it, it singlehandedly reignited my interest in collecting Jordan cards again......and search for the inserts i couldnt find or afford back in late 90s and became an obsession to this very day....lol

Since then the majority of my purchases have been though Ebay, though I have slowed down over the past year considerably due to exorbinant prices of MJ inserts, higher end shilling, etc

I will say though that getting back into MJ collecting in 2011 was the best thing I ever did collecting-wise, without question

Last edited by Starman101; 07-16-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Starman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #55
pennywise

Card shops, target, and trading with friends.

I remember busting a lot of those plastic repacks from target as a kid. I didn't care about big hits, just Penny Hardaway and Spurs cards. Not much has changed lol.

I didn't get to rip much wax because it was too expensive. If I was at a card shop, it was for singles. My parents got me a box of 98-99 black diamond for my birthday and that was the first box I ever ripped. I didn't pull anything great at the time but I kept everything. When I dusted off my collection a few years ago, I looked through everything and found a double diamond Dirk #/2500 from that box. Not a big card or anything but it was a cool find.

I built much of my childhood collection from trades with friends. It was great because we all collected different players so trades were easy. One friend was a Grant Hill guy, another collected Olajuwon. Had another friend that moved here from Minnesota at the height of the KG craze, and I remember him having a full binder of Garnett cards. Those were good times. Seemed like EVERYONE was collecting cards, especially basketball in the late 90s.

"Why you no work. I work - You will work too!!!" - Michael Jordan
pennywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #56
49erRCCollector

I went to every card show I could in the Bay Area and got to know a promoter (he and I went to a private Steve Young signing event, he forgot his camera, I took pics, gave them to him and never paid for a show again). But everyone knew me as the "Steve Young" guy. I had (and have) everything up to a certain point with just a few holes in those years). Around 1995 "rare" (not by today's standards) cards were going for like $60 out of the box, so I switched to rookies of legends and then sold them off raw for big money in the 90s. But it was all word of mouth and relationships - guys setting stuff aside for me.
Old 07-16-2018, 05:38 PM   #57
JGDMSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKings View Post
Pretty much just take your binders and or boxes of cards to friends and just trade.

Another thing we would do is play one on one or 21 or other basketball games and bet cards on them.
Exactly. I/we did it the same way. Without Internet you hadn't any other chance.
OLDSCHOOL
Old 07-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #58
tidel144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exquisite074 View Post
Same as everyone else - mainly shops & shows - but in 1994 - P*. If anyone here even knows what that is - great times bro!!! Anyway, that was Prodigy Online and was out way before AOL and there was a great message board where we all traded, then migrated to AOL in 96/97 or so... BUT, as some have pointed out about those WalMart Packs - they had a $30 pack that had some crap packs, BUT 3 guaranteed 93/94 Finest Refractors! I bought out every store in my area - and found that if Gary Grant was on the front - you got a Penny Hardaway RC in it! Held true nationwide, and I put together 2 sets of Refractors that I sold for $2k each around '96 when the lemmings jumped on them with all the up arrows in that junk mag... that's also when I realized how corrupt Beckett was - as someone was posting on Prodigy that he was buying as many as he could get of certain cards - I sold my dupes (still had my 2 sets) and then went and bought what he needed from local shops... then I got asked by the owner of one shop - Butch & Zach's in Stockton, CA for anyone who remembers that - how I knew that those cards were rare and were going to go up... I had no idea what he was talking about, I was just getting the cards someone posted he needed on Prodigy... but the new Beckett had all those cards now with an Asterix and call them SP's... NOT! They aren't SP's at all, in fact many were the ones you could pull out of those WalMart packs! Not short prints, but I called them "differently distributed". Anyway, I still had a bunch and sold off as some went from $1-5 to $50-100 in a few months before crashing back down. Don't get me wrong, in later years there really were SP's, but not that first year! Heck, there are more SP 93/94 1st days - not because less were made, but because many commons were destroyed to make fake star 1st days... Anyway, I learned a lot about the hobby and the people in it during that time - much different than the 80's and it changed how I collect then and still do to this day, good times!
This was a fascinating post to read.
tidel144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:13 PM   #59
kukocitb

Card shows were VERY active in the early 90s. The problem with being in Iowa basketball never was a huge market even with Jordan. So when I started focusing on Kukoc I just didn't see a majority of the rare cards. PMGs were not seen in my area or maybe I was blind LOL! Another thing that prior to ebay you really didn't know what certain cards looked like or if your player was even in the set.
There were a few decent card shops but a majority of them were primarily wax and not very strong in the singles department. I think back in the 90s we had 3-4 shops locally and now there is just one.
I do enjoy ebay for the most part because I have been able to add cards that I would not have been able to locally. Wish I would have went to a national when basketball was HUGE. I bet that would have been awesome.
kukocitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:25 PM   #60
duron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubKings View Post
Pretty much just take your binders and or boxes of cards to friends and just trade.

Another thing we would do is play one on one or 21 or other basketball games and bet cards on them.
This.
I'm in NY so we had 2 card shops within walking distance, but buying overpriced singles there was much less frequent than just buying packs. Occasionally we'd have an actual show at a local church.

There was a 3 year span (~96-98) where our group played basketball and traded at least 5 days out of the week, all day long.

"1998-99 Slam Funk
Way better design than those doughnut cards, IMO" -8collector34
duron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 AM   #61
maconithappen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukocitb View Post
Card shows were VERY active in the early 90s. The problem with being in Iowa basketball never was a huge market even with Jordan. So when I started focusing on Kukoc I just didn't see a majority of the rare cards. PMGs were not seen in my area or maybe I was blind LOL! Another thing that prior to ebay you really didn't know what certain cards looked like or if your player was even in the set.
There were a few decent card shops but a majority of them were primarily wax and not very strong in the singles department. I think back in the 90s we had 3-4 shops locally and now there is just one.
I do enjoy ebay for the most part because I have been able to add cards that I would not have been able to locally. Wish I would have went to a national when basketball was HUGE. I bet that would have been awesome.
This. Oh man, going to the national in 1999. I need a time machine! As a 90s guy this would be dream. Imagine the deals that were to be had and the selection. Although I was only 12, I wouldn't have been able to spend what I could now but I would have come out with a ton of cards.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #62
charly41

Living in Austria/Europe and not having Ebay/paypal in the early 90s, was a hard job for beginning TC collectors. There were only a handful of cardshops (most in Vienna, the capital city), so trade or buy from fellow collectors were the only possibilies to get cards. Very high prices though, full Beckett or above was normal
Later in the 90s when Ebay came to Europe (but paypal still wasn't there) I remember a lot of deals with the States where I had to send cash by registered mail, so a lot of cards were very pricey in the long run
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #63
duron

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconithappen View Post
This. Oh man, going to the national in 1999. I need a time machine! As a 90s guy this would be dream. Imagine the deals that were to be had and the selection. Although I was only 12, I wouldn't have been able to spend what I could now but I would have come out with a ton of cards.
I don't even think I knew the National existed back then, which is odd since I read almost every monthly Beckett up until around mid 2000.

"1998-99 Slam Funk
Way better design than those doughnut cards, IMO" -8collector34
duron is online now   Reply With Quote