Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 12-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #1
rw0926

Default Gen 13 Info

I searched all over and I’m getting conflicting info. I must ask the experts. I’ve wanted to collect Gen 13 and Danger Girl for some time now but never actually done it. I’m starting with Gen 13 but only want volume 1. How many issues are there? One place I looked said 0-5 then it becomes ongoing and considered Volume 2. Other places I looked showed Volume 1 with upwards of #30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
SlackerBoy9

0-5 for the original mini series
SlackerBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #3
natbornkiller

zero to 5 mini series have an lower cover price 195 i think
Old 12-24-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Stat Monsters

...and there's the Deathmate Black (1993) that pre-dates the 1994 title debut as their 1st appearance as well as an Inside Image and Stormwatch #0 ad promoting "Gen-X" the original team name before it was changed to "Gen 13" with artwork by J. Scott Campbell signed as Jeffery Scott which I think is the team's true 1st appearance as the team they're known to be.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #5
rw0926

thanks guys I knew posting here would get me on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rw0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:13 AM   #6
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
...and there's the Deathmate Black (1993) that pre-dates the 1994 title debut as their 1st appearance as well as an Inside Image and Stormwatch #0 ad promoting "Gen-X" the original team name before it was changed to "Gen 13" with artwork by J. Scott Campbell signed as Jeffery Scott which I think is the team's true 1st appearance as the team they're known to be.
Do people really consider ads to be the "true" first appearance. I get they are collectible, but seems like hogwash to me. It's always puzzled me that there is such extreme debate on what is considered a first appearance. You would think it would be very straightforward...
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
cmixer

There’s a gold variant to Deathmate Black which isn’t expensive but is considered their ‘best’ first appearance
cmixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Jgil316

I have full runs of Gen 13 Vol 1 and Vol 2
With many books signed by Campbell .....

PM me if interested.
Jgil316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #9
80s Showtime

Default First Appearances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Do people really consider ads to be the "true" first appearance. I get they are collectible, but seems like hogwash to me. It's always puzzled me that there is such extreme debate on what is considered a first appearance. You would think it would be very straightforward...
Do you mean ads like in Comic Shop News nowadays? I guess if it's something published some collectors would consider it. Maybe those types of things could be called "pre-first appearance" like in sports cards the draft pick and minor league cards are pre-rookie cards
80s Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Showtime View Post
Do you mean ads like in Comic Shop News nowadays? I guess if it's something published some collectors would consider it. Maybe those types of things could be called "pre-first appearance" like in sports cards the draft pick and minor league cards are pre-rookie cards
I think a 1st Appearance should be in the editorial context of being within a creative story, not an advertisement, teaser, trailer, preview, glimpse, etc.

It's not just a rendering without the context of words from the writer and story itself.

It's not an early sneak peek of artwork or a story before the full issue comes out, that's considered a snippet or sampler.

I also think a 1st appearance and a Cameo 1st Appearance are over-used to justify 2 price points with claims to fame. Incredible Hulk #180 is the 1st appearance of Wolverine, point blank, There's rendering, dialogue and story context. Incredible Hulk #181 is the 2nd appearance, and it's okay for that to be worth more than #180. Just like you can't be "sort of a virgin" a 1st appearance is a 1st appearance.

The other thing with comics today in terms of terminology used incorrectly is this whole "variant" release for 2nd printings. They're either 2nd, 3rd, etc. printings or flat out "Reprints" instead of these "Walking Dead #1"; "Seven to Eternity #1"; "Edge of Spider-Verse #2" exclusive variants released subsequent to the original publicatoin's release date.

Why not call these latest Marvel "True Believer" releases, "Variants" of X-Men #1, Amazing Fantasy #15, etc. then. It's out of control (rant, rant, rant...)

This is similar to the sports card world where collectibles are manufactured and the publishers are controlling print runs to create scarcity for marketing purposes. In theory, Marvel can reprint an Amazing Fantasy #15, only produce 10 copies and distribute them... would that make it worth more than an original Amazing Fantasy #15 where there's clearly more than 10 copies in existence? So, these population reports of how many are printed and the whole newstand variants vs direct market editions seems to be crazy.

...but it's an open market I guess and people buy what they want and pay what they want.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote