Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #1
jick

Default Next to jersey numbered, any number desireable?

I feel this has been asked before but I can't search it here. Maybe I don't know how to find the right keywords. So let me ask again as I've noticed jersey number cards are the most desired:

1. How much premium (maybe in percentage) over market price do jersey numbered cards go for?

2. Are there numbered that are desireable like #1 or the last # that will command a premium?

3. Do jersey numbered cards that depict a player with a different jersey number still command a premium? (Example: a #24 Kobe card that has an image of him wearing #8)

4. Do Panini encased cards have a higher vale than non-encased? If yes, then what's more desireable: encased or non encased jersey numbered?

5. Do non-jersey numbered cards that feature numbers associated with the player also command a premium? For example: Kobe 81/100 or Wilt 100/150

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.
jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #2
Pathora

I'll show an example of Jersey Number premium on recent Ebay listings. Better looking or more wanted cards the premium percentage would be a lot higher.

$31 w/ shipping for jersey #
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-17-Nat...-/202279640198

$18 same random number card.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-17-NAT...-/362278067166
Pathora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #3
8collector34

I think this whole number thing has gotten out of hand. The odds to pull a 0008/1000 Kobe card is 1 in 1000 so it is understandable that it carries a small premium, but to pull a 08/10 is nothing. JSY #s has just become a trend lately, probably due to the high number of serially numbered cards out there and sellers trying to bank in on fad which actually started out as a sensible thing (like Chrome and RCs) then turned into a gimmick once money got involved.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
IronMonkey415
Banned

#66/99

No what way you look at it it will always be 66/99. I like that, I like that a lot.
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #5
Siberian13

1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10, 6/10, 7/10, 8/10, 9/10 & 10/10. They are all 1/1's. So they all should have a premium. There aren't two 2/10s right? Apply this to any card whether it's /10, /25, /99, /499, /999 etc. This is the most ridiculous thing I've noticed in the hobby. But people like paying more for the exact same card.

Question: Would you rather have a PSA10 or BGS 9.5 or 10 that is perfectly centered numbered 3/99 or the jersey#/99 that would be a PSA9 or BGS 8.5? And no matter which one you would rather have, what would be the cost of each card? Would they be near the same since both carry an added cost?
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
Longshot18

I would never pay a premium for a jersey # card or the so called "ebay 1/1s".

And I would never market a card as an "ebay 1/1" because that just seems over the top sophomoric and its how redneck logic creeps into the hobby.

That said, if I have a card that is a jersey #, I will post that in my advertising. If I get a bit more I of course don't turn it down, but I don't expect it or hold a card hostage for more than comps because it's a jersey number.

Recently I was trading lower end team lots and a guy had a Von Miller #58/999 Certified I believe (maybe XR?). Anyway, most of the cards we were trading were lower jersey/autos. Both lots were like 5-6 cards about $15 value. Nothing big for sure. But he had pictured that Von and I have a binder I keep the worthless inserts of Broncos. So I asked about that one. He said he would not include that in the lot because it was his jersey # and worth "a lot more". So I said, ok, it's worth 25 cents instead of 20. He got mad and said I did not understand. It was a 1% chance of getting his jersey number and something that rare was worth a lot more. We happily traded the rest of the cards in the lot, but there was 0 % chance I was going to pay / put in trade value that he wanted for that card.
I collect Bronco greats (Elway, Sharpe, Davis, Atwater, Miller, Rod Smith). Also Falcons Julio Jones and Ryan. Hoops- collect Spurs, Kerr, Rodman, Elliott, Barkley, Stockton, Malone. I also LOVE most vintage cards of all sports.
Longshot18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
brettmik59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian13 View Post
1/10, 2/10, 3/10, 4/10, 5/10, 6/10, 7/10, 8/10, 9/10 & 10/10. They are all 1/1's. So they all should have a premium. There aren't two 2/10s right? Apply this to any card whether it's /10, /25, /99, /499, /999 etc. This is the most ridiculous thing I've noticed in the hobby. But people like paying more for the exact same card.

Question: Would you rather have a PSA10 or BGS 9.5 or 10 that is perfectly centered numbered 3/99 or the jersey#/99 that would be a PSA9 or BGS 8.5? And no matter which one you would rather have, what would be the cost of each card? Would they be near the same since both carry an added cost?
Some folks don't understand that just because something is rare doesn't mean it's worth anything. To answer the question, I'd prefer the gem mint over the jersey numbered nm-mt+ to mint, and would pay the going rate for the gem mint copy (regardless what people pay for the jersey number). That said, the jersey number thing has caught on with a segment of collectors, so they'll pay some sort of premium for it. What that is depends on the card and player and how much value the collectors involved place on the jersey numbering. It's highly subjective.
brettmik59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
chris_ac

While most every collector knows the beat regarding jersey # cards, I keep my options open to college jersey #, reverse jersey #, 1/xx, or xx/xx (last).

But I always throw serial number preferences out the window when the card in question is a patch card. If it's just an auto, I try to keep to certain numbers, but if it's less than 20, I obviously stop being picky due to so few that may show up. Auto quality trumps s/n if scarce.
chris_ac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #9
Orangejello727

Premiums are carried for Jersey #, 1/xx and last number. In that order.

I pay premiums for jersey #d rookie cards. not Vet numbered stuff. To each their own.

It is no different than paying a premium for a really nice looking patch vs a boring 1/2 color patch.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
BestRCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jick View Post
I feel this has been asked before but I can't search it here. Maybe I don't know how to find the right keywords. So let me ask again as I've noticed jersey number cards are the most desired:

1. How much premium (maybe in percentage) over market price do jersey numbered cards go for?

2. Are there numbered that are desireable like #1 or the last # that will command a premium?

3. Do jersey numbered cards that depict a player with a different jersey number still command a premium? (Example: a #24 Kobe card that has an image of him wearing #8)

4. Do Panini encased cards have a higher vale than non-encased? If yes, then what's more desireable: encased or non encased jersey numbered?

5. Do non-jersey numbered cards that feature numbers associated with the player also command a premium? For example: Kobe 81/100 or Wilt 100/150

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.
1. I'd imagine the % would vary depending on what set the card is from and the player. I bet there would be a bigger premium for cards with more significance.

A hyperbole example...

Like a 2017 panini grand audacious bodacious plain white jersey card jsy#/300 of a middle of the rotation starter

VS. card of a HOFer from a legendary set like 1997 pmg or rubies jsy/50 or a highly coveted RC with a jsy#.

Im sure there wouldnt be much of a bump on the former compared to the latter.

3. I think some player collectors would add a premium on that especially kobe.
BestRCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
jick

Thanks so far for all your replies. I truly appreciate them and it has been enlightening and spot on for my queries.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:54 PM   #12
NeilCO

It's not really a percentage thing for me. I will pay $5 for any Gorgui Dieng jersey numbered card, even if it would otherwise be a 30 cent card. But I probably won't spend $30 on a card that would otherwise be a $10 card (maybe $20 in that case).

Or do. I'll be around.
NeilCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Doublexthebeast

I usually pay a few bucks more for a Grant Hill jersey numbered card. If it’s normally $20 I’d definitely pay $25-30 without much thought. The 97-98 Embossed Gold Refractor 33/74 brought over $900 last year at auction when the other serial numbers bring $350-400.

The market definitely speaks that jersey numbered cards command a premium. I don’t see the first or last serial number bringing anywhere near the same premium.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
kukocitb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post
I usually pay a few bucks more for a Grant Hill jersey numbered card. If it’s normally $20 I’d definitely pay $25-30 without much thought. The 97-98 Embossed Gold Refractor 33/74 brought over $900 last year at auction when the other serial numbers bring $350-400.

The market definitely speaks that jersey numbered cards command a premium. I don’t see the first or last serial number bringing anywhere near the same premium.
I agree with all of this. Some Kukoc jersey numbered stuff goes for double any of the others. That is why I do not have many jersey numbered LOL!
Kukoc COUNTER: 1333 different!!!!!
kukocitb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #15
jick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post

The first and last don't bring a premium like jersey numbered cards but they still bring a premium right?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #16
GoldenBoy23

Jersey number card sucks. I dont understand why people pay premium on them too. They are all the same card. Just the serial varies, why spend on a kobe auto #24/99 for $150-$200 if you can grab any serial for $100 right.

Last edited by GoldenBoy23; 04-14-2018 at 08:13 AM.
GoldenBoy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
The Accountant

I completely get the jersey number thing. I pay small premiums on them for football cards. Like a Wentz 11/100
Old 04-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #18
Siberian13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jick View Post
The first and last don't bring a premium like jersey numbered cards but they still bring a premium right?
Let’s all start hyping a certain number. How about 9? Anyone who pulls 9 has a card worth triple. If we hype it, they will pay it.
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote