Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
cp3fan

Default Cp3 fueded with rivers over son.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/re...lippers-trade/
Old 06-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
NeilCO

Whose side are you on, cp3fan?

Or do. I'll be around.
NeilCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #3
cp3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCO View Post
Whose side are you on, cp3fan?
Honestly, in this case, I'm on the side of the player. I heard rumblings of this and I feel it's an unprofessional move for rivers to make. The melo trade was definitely titled in the clippers favor.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
dasiegel

If true than it is a problem on Docs end. My issue here is that a lot of people think that Austin is like some D-Leaguer who can't play, he is still a solid NBA role player IMO. So Melo for Pierce Rivers and Crawford should've been made but it's not like that move gets them much further.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
padsfan10

I'm a Clips fan and it's hard for me to believe that Doc gave Austin a free ride so to speak while making it hard on other players. If anything that was seen on court it was CP3 riding other players, especially Jordan, which I totally understand. I smell BS with this story but I'm sure there will be many others in the days to follow.

If and when JJ resigns somewhere else expect him to give some good insight to team chemistry and what was going on.
padsfan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
pgisback

I just can't buy Chris Paul or some of the Clippers getting upset that Doc treats Austin nicer than them. That's childish. Unless Doc was taking court time from people who deserved it in favor of his son, it's a non-issue. The trade I can see being a problem. And Austin might be the scapegoat. Doc has a big personality... CP3 and Harden will do whatever they want in Houston. And still probably fail to make the Conference finals.
pgisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
Rareairx23

I mean rivers avwraged over 12 a game. Its not like he was taking minutes away from a more capable player
Rareairx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
xavieronly1

Carmelo has no trade clause. I am not sure who shut down the deal or if the deal even existed.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
cp3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavieronly1 View Post
Carmelo has no trade clause. I am not sure who shut down the deal or if the deal even existed.
According to the article, doc rivers did. LA was always a destination that melo was ok with waiving his clause for, at least during the time.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #10
JustinVerlander07

I for one am STUNNED that Doc treated his son with kid gloves.

/sarcasm

It's really not surprising it would upset players, he should be treated like everyone else. Work life and private life are two different things, at work he's not his son (well he shouldn't be treated as such)

"Cavs in 7. Write it down"
JustinVerlander07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
LincecumPC

If true on CP3's end, kind of a weak reason on it being the biggest factor in leaving. If you want to choose a team that gives you a better shot at a title, then go for it. Don't cry like a baby because you think the coach is favoring his son. Not once did they report about grumblings of nepotism between the Rivers' until the trade occurred.

I am also a little surprised no one has mentioned the distance that Austin and Doc had growing up and even leading up to Austin latching on to the Clips. All I had heard prior to today about their relationship growing up was that Austin saw his dad as a coach/bball player, not really a dad. Maybe things have changed since he's been in LA, but that was the big story a couple years ago, that they had never been close.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 PM   #12
cp3fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincecumPC View Post
If true on CP3's end, kind of a weak reason on it being the biggest factor in leaving. If you want to choose a team that gives you a better shot at a title, then go for it. Don't cry like a baby because you think the coach is favoring his son. Not once did they report about grumblings of nepotism between the Rivers' until the trade occurred.

I am also a little surprised no one has mentioned the distance that Austin and Doc had growing up and even leading up to Austin latching on to the Clips. All I had heard prior to today about their relationship growing up was that Austin saw his dad as a coach/bball player, not really a dad. Maybe things have changed since he's been in LA, but that was the big story a couple years ago, that they had never been close.
There was talk of nepotism and favoritism during the time of this rumored trade in the LA area. I also remember there were rumors that the clips weren't going to trade for melo because Austin would have to be involved. I agree that's it's relatively useless for Paul to mention it now as it's a moot point considering he's not on the team anymore.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:20 PM   #13
mcgahee21nfl
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareairx23 View Post
I mean rivers avwraged over 12 a game. Its not like he was taking minutes away from a more capable player
Yes he was. He was taking minutes away from CP3. CP3 played far less minutes than he should've played in the playoffs. There was no reason for him not to hit the 40 minute mark in some of the most pivotal games of the season vs the Jazz.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #14
LincecumPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp3fan View Post
There was talk of nepotism and favoritism during the time of this rumored trade in the LA area. I also remember there were rumors that the clips weren't going to trade for melo because Austin would have to be involved. I agree that's it's relatively useless for Paul to mention it now as it's a moot point considering he's not on the team anymore.
Ahh ok. For it to come out now, seems like it couldn't have been that big of an issue. Just looks like a cop out reason to leave, when it's really about wanting a championship.

How do you feel about the trade in general?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #15
cp3fan

Quote:
Ahh ok. For it to come out now, seems like it couldn't have been that big of an issue. Just looks like a cop out reason to leave, when it's really about wanting a championship.

How do you feel about the trade in general?
I agree with that...as for the trade, I'm just glad they were able to get some assets rather than nothing. I was hoping this was the beginning of them blowing everything up but I heard they want to keep griffin. I haven't been a big fan of griffin for a long time. He is very skilled but injury prone, disappears in the 4th quarter and I don't think is all that interested in winning. Of course, if he doesn't resign, they will be forced to start all over. At least, rivers isn't the only one making personnel decisions anymore. Wests influence should help a lot. On another note, congrats to your team for their finals win!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 PM   #16
Rareairx23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgahee21nfl View Post
Yes he was. He was taking minutes away from CP3. CP3 played far less minutes than he should've played in the playoffs. There was no reason for him not to hit the 40 minute mark in some of the most pivotal games of the season vs the Jazz.
so rivers didn't even play in the first four games of that series. In the three games rivers played, paul played 40:03, 37:53, and 37:42 minutes in those games, respectively. These were actually the first, third, and fourth most minutes he played in games in that series. in fact, in those three games, paul played more minutes in those games, than every game in the entire season aside from two games. That argument is highly invalid
Old 06-28-2017, 11:37 PM   #17
LincecumPC

Quote:
I agree with that...as for the trade, I'm just glad they were able to get some assets rather than nothing. I was hoping this was the beginning of them blowing everything up but I heard they want to keep griffin. I haven't been a big fan of griffin for a long time. He is very skilled but injury prone, disappears in the 4th quarter and I don't think is all that interested in winning. Of course, if he doesn't resign, they will be forced to start all over. At least, rivers isn't the only one making personnel decisions anymore. Wests influence should help a lot. On another note, congrats to your team for their finals win!
I think the criticism over the return is unfounded since CP3 was gonna sign in HOU anyway, they just had to get something. On paper it doesn't seem like much, but you got some veteran help, perimeter shooting and a bulldog on defense. Plus I thought Harrell was really underrated. Trust me when I say Jerry knows what he is doing. GSW will miss him.

And thanks for the congrats! I'm just glad I can put the season behind me, lol.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:42 PM   #18
cp3fan

Quote:
I think the criticism over the return is unfounded since CP3 was gonna sign in HOU anyway, they just had to get something. On paper it doesn't seem like much, but you got some veteran help, perimeter shooting and a bulldog on defense. Plus I thought Harrell was really underrated. Trust me when I say Jerry knows what he is doing. GSW will miss him.

And thanks for the congrats! I'm just glad I can put the season behind me, lol.
Exactly! With the players they have, if they keep griffin, they can compete. If not, they have tradeable guys on team friendly contracts. I agree about Harrell he's a beast off the bench in a limited minutes role. Jerry west has done well everywhere he has gone. I was shocked he left gs but I think he enjoys taking on new challenges.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #19
Rareairx23

Quote:
Exactly! With the players they have, if they keep griffin, they can compete. If not, they have tradeable guys on team friendly contracts. I agree about Harrell he's a beast off the bench in a limited minutes role. Jerry west has done well everywhere he has gone. I was shocked he left gs but I think he enjoys taking on new challenges.
is he/will he be healthy at the start of the season? just heard a former clips reporter say something on sportscenter about him possibly not being ready for the first three months of the season???
Old 06-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #20
cp3fan

Quote:
is he/will he be healthy at the start of the season? just heard a former clips reporter say something on sportscenter about him possibly not being ready for the first three months of the season???
I read that he may not play until December but team insiders think he'll be ready to go right at the start of the season. That is probably a little optimistic on their side though
Old 06-28-2017, 11:52 PM   #21
Rareairx23

Quote:
I read that he may not play until December but team insiders think he'll be ready to go right at the start of the season. That is probably a little optimistic on their side though
ftr, i dont want him in boston (im not popular in my area haha) man if he could just stay healthy, he is such an electric player. they need him healthy
Old 06-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #22
cp3fan

Quote:
ftr, i dont want him in boston (im not popular in my area haha) man if he could just stay healthy, he is such an electric player. they need him healthy
I dont blame you. He has all the physical tools, just not the right mentality and health is definitely a big dectractor as well. Clippers definitely need him healthy. If he stays, it'll be his team. We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:01 AM   #23
clipperboy24

Quote:
Originally Posted by padsfan10 View Post
I'm a Clips fan and it's hard for me to believe that Doc gave Austin a free ride so to speak while making it hard on other players. If anything that was seen on court it was CP3 riding other players, especially Jordan, which I totally understand. I smell BS with this story but I'm sure there will be many others in the days to follow.

If and when JJ resigns somewhere else expect him to give some good insight to team chemistry and what was going on.
I believe it all this way. Doc has been dishonest about bringing his son here from the beginning. They didn't need to unload Reggie bullock for him but Doc just had to have jr who was going to be cut by the Celtics. Austin has shown he is serviceable but didn't and still doesn't deserve all the minutes he got. He is a completely overrated defender and walks around the court like he owns the place. I am sick of both the rivers such whiners and no results get them outta here!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:55 AM   #24
Pill popper
Inactive Account

Have no issue but lots of respect for CP3 for making sure The Clippers got something back.
The Pacers should have some kind of recourse against Paul George for intentionally ruining the ability to get something fair. The NBA needs to F'N change this. We have seen this with Shaq/Howard who thank God his career to hell. I'm sorry but still pissed at the grizz leaving Vancouver
Pill popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:42 AM   #25
oplum29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgisback View Post
CP3 and Harden will do whatever they want in Houston. And still probably fail to make the Conference finals.
yep! If he wanted to actually have a shot at the NBA Finals, he should have gone to SA.

Instead, it will be a constant 2nd round exit for Houston.