Blowout Cards Forums
2016 star wars

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > COINS & CURRENCY

Notices

COINS & CURRENCY Post your Coins, Currency, & Precious Metals Hobby Talk

Old 09-23-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
nomadsports

Default With SILVER now DROPPING ....

I am looking to get silver. Are the ASE's still at the same price as always ...
I can't get them at SPOT now so what is everyone else doing to get these dropping prices??
nomadsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #2
Texans81

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

eagles are always going to be between $3 and $4 over spot...that's just what they normally sell for. if you are looking to get close to spot, you're best bet is going to be generic stuff. I for one like the eagles though and don't mind paying the premium as they are very easy to move.
Texans81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
IronMonkey415

Generic OPM round seems pretty good.

🙈 - 🙉 - 🙊
Bound by blood. Divided by fate. Driven by destiny
IronMonkey415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
KingMob

Is stuff from Sunshine Mint easy to move? Pardon my ignorance on the matter.
KingMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
avoz28

Look up modern coin mart on eBay you can get a roll of Eagles for roughly $440 that's only $2 over spot per
avoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
avoz28

I personally like country mint stuff; Eagles, pandas etc. instead of private mints such as sunshine mint, there is still a market for them though
avoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
Josh611

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoz28 View Post
Look up modern coin mart on eBay you can get a roll of Eagles for roughly $440 that's only $2 over spot per
That's more than $4 over spot lol
Old 09-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #8
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh611 View Post
That's more than $4 over spot lol
That's almost 25%.

It seems to me that as silver prices fall, ASEs become less and less efficient as a silver vehicle. The numismatic premium just increases. As prices fall, I'd be a seller of ASEs with that kind of premium and use the money to buy up non-numismatic silver or better yet, SLV. When prices go back up, you'll have 25% more silver.

Instead, retail starts buying ASEs when prices fall. It's quite a nice racket.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #9
KingMob

Quote:
Originally Posted by avoz28 View Post
I personally like country mint stuff; Eagles, pandas etc. instead of private mints such as sunshine mint, there is still a market for them though
I was just wondering if I would have a hard time selling it off X amount of years down the road. From everything I've read I shouldn't....
Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
smackvay

I bought some an hour ago for 400 a tube
Old 09-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #11
Braves_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackvay View Post
I bought some an hour ago for 400 a tube
Thats a great price! Were they 2014?
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Braves_Fan

Goldmart has 2014 Eagles for $20.15 each
Braves_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #13
SportsItUpCards
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMob View Post
Is stuff from Sunshine Mint easy to move? Pardon my ignorance on the matter.
Silver is silver........

Knowing where to sell your silver is just as important as adding silver to your investmens. Don't think that selling your silver means selling on eBay, or to individuals. That would take forever, and be too much of a headache. You have to know where to go to unload EVERYTHING at once. And not for "crackhead" prices that some places will pay you. You have to sell it to the big boys...
SportsItUpCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:32 AM   #14
truchatterbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Silver is silver........

Knowing where to sell your silver is just as important as adding silver to your investmens. Don't think that selling your silver means selling on eBay, or to individuals. That would take forever, and be too much of a headache. You have to know where to go to unload EVERYTHING at once. And not for "crackhead" prices that some places will pay you. You have to sell it to the big boys...
If you have the time to elaborate on selling places I would love to read more, as I am a fresh fish here. (here or in pm I would really like to know more)
Old 09-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by truchatterbox View Post
If you have the time to elaborate on selling places I would love to read more, as I am a fresh fish here. (here or in pm I would really like to know more)
Physical silver is not a good vehicle for the small investor. You end up paying 20% or more over spot in premiums, shipping, etc. And the cheaper silver is, the more you overpay.

Let's say you have 500oz of silver. Where are you going to get anywhere near spot for that in your area? You probably won't. If you want to ship 31 lbs of silver to "the big boys" it's going to cost quite a bit.

Silver is simply priced to low per ounce to make sense for the little guy. Gold is a bit more reasonable but you still have the storage/shipping/security issues.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:23 AM   #16
KingMob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsItUpCards View Post
Silver is silver........

The place I bought from has a buyback on the same item so I think I'm good. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Physical silver is not a good vehicle for the small investor. You end up paying 20% or more over spot in premiums, shipping, etc. And the cheaper silver is, the more you overpay.

Let's say you have 500oz of silver. Where are you going to get anywhere near spot for that in your area? You probably won't. If you want to ship 31 lbs of silver to "the big boys" it's going to cost quite a bit.Silver is simply priced to low per ounce to make sense for the little guy. Gold is a bit more reasonable but you still have the storage/shipping/security issues.
Priority mail can be up to 70 lbs, looking at less than $20 for 500 oz.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Priority mail can be up to 70 lbs, looking at less than $20 for 500 oz.
If you want to ship $8,500 worth of silver via priority mail, be my guest. It's not something that I'd do though.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #19
Boo

Quote:
If you want to ship $8,500 worth of silver via priority mail, be my guest. It's not something that I'd do though.
That's how mine comes and goes and never had an issue. Funny picking up a package that weighs a ton at the post office.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #20
twoten01

Quote:
Why? I have shipped more than that with no problems. Hell I have received cash well into the 4 figures multiple times with no problems. How would you ship it?
twoten01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #21
twoten01

Quote:

Let's say you have 500oz of silver. Where are you going to get anywhere near spot for that in your area? You probably won't. If you want to ship 31 lbs of silver to "the big boys" it's going to cost quite a bit.

Silver is simply priced to low per ounce to make sense for the little guy. Gold is a bit more reasonable but you still have the storage/shipping/security issues.
Unless you go to pawn shops, every PM business will buy at spot, if you are selling them enough(usually $10k) if not there is plenty of people on here and other coin sites. When I was actively selling around 2010-11, I could move a monster box in a matter of minutes.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #22
XL5

Ok, let's do the math. Right now silver is around $17/oz. Let's say you buy that roll of ASEs from Modern Coin Mart (the place quoted above) at $434.78 (down $6 from yesterday). That's $94.78 over spot, or roughly $4.74/ounce premium. On this buy, you'd have paid a 28% premium over spot.

Now let's say that silver sells for $22 in a year from now (I'm not saying it will, but let's just say). You figure you want to unload those 20 ASEs and take advantage of the increase since you bought. You likely won't get the same premium that someone like Modern Coin Mart gets, but let's suppose you find a buyer willing to pay you a generous $4 premium. That's huge for a small time seller, good for you! So you sell your 20 ASE for $520. That's a per coin premium of 18% (hey, wait a minute, you paid a 28% premium). Now let's say you ship via flat rate and it costs you $6. Your PP fee will be $15. Let's assume you didn't sell on ebay so you save the $52 FVF. Your total take is $499. Your total profit on the deal is $64.22. Or 14%. Not bad for 1 year until you consider that silver is up 30%.

Had you spent the same $434 on SLV you'd have gotten 25.5 shares and you'd be selling at $561 ($22/share). Assuming $20 brokerage commission ($10 in, $10 out), you'd be at $541 for a total profit of 25%. You're selling for $4 less than the ASE example above but still making more. That's the power of not paying the 28% premium on the buy side. $107 vs $64.

Or similarly, had you spent the $434 on junk/rounds just above spot, say $1 over or 5.9%, you'd have 24 oz to play with. At $22 silver, that's an extra $88 to work with.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with having some ASE. I have some as well as some Morgans myself. But I keep them for their numismatic value (they're beautiful coins), not their silver value.

Last edited by XL5; 09-24-2014 at 12:07 PM.
XL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoten01 View Post
Unless you go to pawn shops, every PM business will buy at spot, if you are selling them enough(usually $10k) if not there is plenty of people on here and other coin sites. When I was actively selling around 2010-11, I could move a monster box in a matter of minutes.
That makes it an even worse investment. Spot? Take my above example and you'd be losing money until silver goes to $22.

Again, I'm just talking about the ASEs. I gave a very generous $4 premium over spot in my example. The lower that premium goes, the worse off you are.

If you buy at spot and sell it at spot, that's a different story (as I noted).
Old 09-24-2014, 12:09 PM   #24
twoten01

Quote:
Ok, let's do the math. Right now silver is around $17/oz. Let's say you buy that roll of ASEs from Modern Coin Mart (the place quoted above) at $434.78 (down $6 from yesterday). That's $94.78 over spot, or roughly $4.74/ounce premium. On this buy, you'd have paid a 28% premium over spot.

Now let's say that silver sells for $22 in a year from now (I'm not saying it will, but let's just say). You figure you want to unload those 20 ASEs and take advantage of the increase since you bought. You likely won't get the same premium that someone like Modern Coin Mart gets, but let's suppose you find a buyer willing to pay you a generous $4 premium. That's huge for a small time seller, good for you! So you sell your 20 ASE for $520. That's a per coin premium of 18% (hey, wait a minute, you paid a 28% premium). Now let's say you ship via flat rate and it costs you $6. Your PP fee will be $15. Let's assume you didn't sell on ebay so you save the $52 FVF. Your total take is $499. Your total profit on the deal is $64.22. Or 14%. Not bad for 1 year until you consider that silver is up 30%.

Had you spent the same $434 on SLV you'd have gotten 25.5 shares and you'd be selling at $561 ($22/share). Assuming $20 brokerage commission ($10 in, $10 out), you'd be at $541 for a total profit of 25%. You're selling for $4 less than the ASE example above but still making more. That's the power of not paying the 28% premium on the buy side. $107 vs $64.

Or similarly, had you spent the $434 on junk/rounds just above spot, say $1 over or 5.9%, you'd have 24 oz to play with. At $22 silver, that's an extra $88 to work with.

Don't get my wrong, there's nothing wrong with having some ASE. I have some as well as some Morgans myself. But I keep them for their numismatic value (they're beautiful coins), not their silver value.
While a good breakdown, it is very easy to get the same premium as the big boys on ASE's, and no PP fees, I only deal with gift payments or MO or cash in PWE. But you are definitely right, if you are not buying in large quanities to flip, just buying a roll here or there will not make you any money unless the price goes to $1,000 an oz, like some on here think it will

and yes paper silver is better for profit, but alot of people get into physical metals, because they are against the maniuplation of the markets.

Last edited by twoten01; 09-24-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #25
twoten01

Quote:
That makes it an even worse investment. Spot? Take my above example and you'd be losing money until silver goes to $22.

Again, I'm just talking about the ASEs. I gave a very generous $4 premium over spot in my example. The lower that premium goes, the worse off you are.

If you buy at spot and sell it at spot, that's a different story (as I noted).
I was buying ASE's at $2 over spot, and getting $3 or 4. But yeah generics and junk silver, I would buy for spot or under depending on the seller, and then flip for 10% above spot or spot, depending on what I paid. Alot of work, and if the price drops rapidly, and you dont have enough liquid cash you can get into trouble.