Blowout Cards Forums
Trade In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > FOOTBALL BUY/SELL/TRADE

Notices

FOOTBALL BUY/SELL/TRADE Post your FOOTBALL Buy/Sell/Trade needs here.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #26
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
guess you're just one of those infamous internet tough guys

it is inferred that you were calling him stupid by what you said....and no i'm not having a bad day...pretty good actually.

btw, it's my 1st amendment right to say whatever I want regarding your post....I just choose not to put someone down for what they say!

It is also my business as a citizen to be able to disagree with what you wrote.

Thanks and have a nice day
Apparently you can't read either. I never once called him stupid, he even got what I was saying (see his post above). I was calling anyone spending that type of money stupid...as well as many posters on BO.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #27
bdubs3316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
Apparently you can't read either. I never once called him stupid, he even got what I was saying (see his post above). I was calling anyone spending that type of money stupid...as well as many posters on BO.
there are multiple ways to interpret something written on a form post...I interpreted it as you were calling him stupid for "ranting"...I was just sticking up for a good guy. Ive done multiple deals with Timmy, and will not stand for someone calling him stupid...as I know he's not.

If you were stating that people shelling out this kind of money for Newton are stupid...then I agree with you
bdubs3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by messier2 View Post
I don't think everyone is buying Cam as an "investment". There are a lot of collectors who have that imbalance in their brain that they HAVE to have the HOTTEST cards of the HOTTEST player and $$$ amounts don't matter (yes, I know a few of those).

Yes, it's stupid, it's correct. But having super-duper patch auto of Cam is hella more "cool" than a random Tom Brady auto.
I totally agree, he is hot, but once that wears off you will have a lot of Newton sellers on ebay scratching their head wondering why there "investment" turned into a bad decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
He is hot, there is always someone hot...you don't want anyone to be hot? You don't open anything? You are seeming alot like this guy:

I have no problem with him being hot, that is great. But it boggles my brain to see people spending thousands on 1/1s from Finest or Platinum. I want to ask them, do you think that was a wise investment vs say a nice high end Rodgers or Brady? If they are buying because they love the Panthers or Newton I understand the money is not the issue, but for those buying to try and flip later is laughable at best...

For example

1500, are you kidding me haha
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cam-Newton-T...item336ccc07a8

1000 for R&S BGS 10, haha
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-rookies...item336c89ff6e

2425 with 6 hrs left, haha...someone gonna need xanax at a later date
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-P...item53e970cdc8

Last edited by Razorsharp79; 10-07-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Razorsharp79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #29
Qwasian

cards aren't about actual player performance, they are about hype...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #30
tripledouble

Bradford is a stud, js
tripledouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #31
jp98
Banned

If you can sell a sucky player like Newtons cards for a good price, then take advantage of it!
jp98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:41 PM   #32
rletlow

I agree with OP. Luckily I am a HUGE Auburn fan and started collecting him back in may.
I so want to sell my collection as I could probably make over $5k on a $1k investment.

I have bought a few items since the season started and the only big one was the threads Letterman set with all 6 letters. I only bought that because I did not want to go through the hassle of hunting down all the letters and I was afraid the prices would continue to rise.

Cam is a beast and I think he cards will continue to rise if he plays well the entire year.
I only plan on buying 3 more cards, Contenders, NT, and Exquisite.

I do think he has the potential to transform the QB position with his size, speed and arm strength. Most guys his size would be a tight end. I think in the future you will see bigger and faster QB's much in the way Jordan/Magic changed Basketball to a faster above the rim game.

I'm not saying Newton is a Jordan or Magic, that is just the best analogy I could think of.
rletlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #33
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwasian View Post
cards aren't about actual player performance, they are about hype...
I understand that, but where does his cards value go when the hype ends? Only one direction and that is down...and the hype will end...
Old 10-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #34
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rletlow View Post
I agree with OP. Luckily I am a HUGE Auburn fan and started collecting him back in may.
I so want to sell my collection as I could probably make over $5k on a $1k investment.

I have bought a few items since the season started and the only big one was the threads Letterman set with all 6 letters. I only bought that because I did not want to go through the hassle of hunting down all the letters and I was afraid the prices would continue to rise.

Cam is a beast and I think he cards will continue to rise if he plays well the entire year.
I only plan on buying 3 more cards, Contenders, NT, and Exquisite.

I do think he has the potential to transform the QB position with his size, speed and arm strength. Most guys his size would be a tight end. I think in the future you will see bigger and faster QB's much in the way Jordan/Magic changed Basketball to a faster above the rim game.

I'm not saying Newton is a Jordan or Magic, that is just the best analogy I could think of.
Great analogy, Cam is a talented QB, and a monster in terms of size and athleticism. The biggest question for me is where is this team headed? Are they going to be winning SBs in 2-5 years? If not where can his value go, sure draft some great players, but that takes time, and time is working against the hype as it only lasts for a little while until something new comes along. Sell while the hype is high and when it wears off buy him again in a few years. Right now buying him is a losing proposition IMO

If it were me I would have to sell now, I do not see his value going higher, they are not going to the super bowl in the near future and continuous losing records will hurt his appeal regardless of his talent.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #35
Qwasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp79 View Post
I understand that, but where does his cards value go when the hype ends? Only one direction and that is down...and the hype will end...
that's with every card, whats your point? no cards really sustain everylasting value, this isn't the gold/silver market, it's trading cards.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #36
bdubs3316

Quote:
that's with every card, whats your point? no cards really sustain everylasting value, this isn't the gold/silver market, it's trading cards.
I'd say the Honus Wagner card has done fairly well for itself

granted it's one card...but there are others (especially older cards) that have held their value or continued to increase...but that's due to being a GREAT in the game they played.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #37
Qwasian

if cam newton keeps putting up the numbers he's putting up for his entire career, he will retain value later on as well, but popularity will break off from his brand new release sales of course. not even sure what your point is..... your just stating the obvious, it's always that way, with all sports with rookies.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #38
Razorsharp79
Banned

Quote:
There is a lot of similarity between trading card market and the gold/silver market. But would you buy gold right now? If you got in when gold was 300/oz you are smelling good. Same with Newton, if you got in early you are golden. Those buying in on the hype now are up s*** creek without a paddle.

And let me emphasize that not every card sells for thousands. Spending 10 bucks on a guy is not an investment to me. Sure that card may increase ten fold, but you did not go in thinking wow I am going to turn this 10 into 100. When you throw thousands down on one player you are hoping to score big that is considered an investment to me and in this case a very bad one. Go take your 10k and put it on a couple Bradys or Rodgers, throw them in a safety deposit box and forget about them for 20 years. That is a wise investment to me, not spending thousands on a guy who is 1-3.

And many cards sustain value, where did you come up with that? If you are saying Newton cards as far his mid end stuff going down once say NT hits I understand your point, but let me say it again, why spend thousands now if you know that is going to happen, just plain stupid IMO. Someone spending thousands has to know this is going to happen and that makes me wonder even more and scratch my head...

Quote:
if cam newton keeps putting up the numbers he's putting up for his entire career, he will retain value later on as well, but popularity will break off from his brand new release sales of course. not even sure what your point is..... your just stating the obvious, it's always that way, with all sports with rookies.
he will not retain value if he plays for a crappy team his whole career and has a losing record as starter, no way. I do not care if he breaks every record, if he is not a winning QB he will not sustain value. It is not about numbers, it is about winning, manning, brady and rodgers are all winners not just great at putting up huge numbers.

I collect MJD, he plays in a bad market for mediocre team, if he was traded to say Dallas or New England do you think his value would increase or decrease? Guy puts up better than average numbers and think he has a 4.6 ypc, but gets no love. Put him on a team that wins and his value goes through the roof compared to where they are at now.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #39
basketball11889

hey wait a second its just like how it is in the real NFL....people paying way too much money for rookies many who never become anything (have to make a Jamarcus Russell reference) but they fall in love with what they might be....but to give my opinion for the expectations people had originally he has blown them out of the water and done all this without the running game which was supposed to be a strength panthers will be a contender eventually IMO

Mainly collecting football right now Steelers are always welcome.
basketball11889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #40
bdrr

Part of the reason Cam Newton is putting up 400 total yards of offense a games is because he's running 80%+ of the plays himself pass/run

That being said, football prospecting is kind of stupid. Guys hold values way too long.

It was like 5 years before Byron Leftwich finally dropped.

Pet peeve of the day: The Hogwarts House Points System
bdrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #41
Qwasian

Quote:
There is a lot of similarity between trading card market and the gold/silver market. But would you buy gold right now? If you got in when gold was 300/oz you are smelling good. Same with Newton, if you got in early you are golden. Those buying in on the hype now are up s*** creek without a paddle.

And let me emphasize that not every card sells for thousands. Spending 10 bucks on a guy is not an investment to me. Sure that card may increase ten fold, but you did not go in thinking wow I am going to turn this 10 into 100. When you throw thousands down on one player you are hoping to score big that is considered an investment to me and in this case a very bad one. Go take your 10k and put it on a couple Bradys or Rodgers, throw them in a safety deposit box and forget about them for 20 years. That is a wise investment to me, not spending thousands on a guy who is 1-3.

And many cards sustain value, where did you come up with that? If you are saying Newton cards as far his mid end stuff going down once say NT hits I understand your point, but let me say it again, why spend thousands now if you know that is going to happen, just plain stupid IMO. Someone spending thousands has to know this is going to happen and that makes me wonder even more and scratch my head...

he will not retain value if he plays for a crappy team his whole career and has a losing record as starter, no way. I do not care if he breaks every record, if he is not a winning QB he will not sustain value. It is not about numbers, it is about winning, manning, brady and rodgers are all winners not just great at putting up huge numbers.

I collect MJD, he plays in a bad market for mediocre team, if he was traded to say Dallas or New England do you think his value would increase or decrease? Guy puts up better than average numbers and think he has a 4.6 ypc, but gets no love. Put him on a team that wins and his value goes through the roof compared to where they are at now.

yeah I mean after all, dan marino won all kinds of super bowls........lol
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #42
bdubs3316

Quote:
so, Cam has now been compared to Brady and Marino....next he will be God
Old 10-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #43
Qwasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs3316 View Post
so, Cam has now been compared to Brady and Marino....next he will be God
he put up better numbers than brady and marino so far, why would he not be compared to them at this point in his career?

nobody said he was better than them or anything like that, I just said his statement about winning isn't always true, marino lost for years.

I don't really see the problem with comparing him to any QB, he's a QB.... what else you going to compare him with? a RB? WR? lol
Old 10-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #44
Prospect Rush
Banned

Quote:
I just do not understand the craze around him. Sure he is talented, and amassed great numbers for a rookie. However, to get to the echelon where he is currently selling you would expect him to be winning. His top cards are selling for more than most Tom Brady cards, anyone here think Newton is gonna win 3 rings? I don't, not at Carolina, not ever. He has played 4 fn games people and you are dropping 2-4k on mid end brands that fall off the face of the earth when the good stuff comes out.

Tom Brady, IMO sells high because of the market he plays in and the success he has had. Cam Newton plays in a bad market and has not done anything to show he can be a leader and motivate his team to victory. People in my opinion have the Bradford fever with Newton all over. Next year this time, it will be Andrew luck. And while a lot of dumb a** ebayers are buying luck you can be buying newton for half of what he is going for now, just reference Bradford who has fallen off quite a bit since Newton. Not super cheap, but more affordable since the newton drooling began.

It makes no sense to buy Newton right now, none. His value is not going up any higher, he is not going to win the super bowl in the next 5 years. Wait until the offseason as I project them to go roughly 4-12 this season worst case, best case 6-10. I do not understand why people want to invest in a player who is on a team with no upside for at least 5 years, no way newton can sustain hobby love for five years by throwing the ball for 400 yds only to lose the game.

People want to invest in winners, an Newton is not on a winning team therefore his efforts will be overlooked IMO

end of rant.........thanks if you read all that haha
So don't buy?
Prospect Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #45
oldgoldy97

Quote:
Someone finally brought up Marino. Quit talking about needing multiple SB rings to equal popularity.

Marino-0
Favre-1
Manning-1

There are three of the most collected and most valued QBs of all time, yet they share 2 SBs between them. On the other hand you have:

Dilfer-1
Rypien-1
Simms-1
Brad Johnson-1
Doug Williams-1

Super Bowl winners that you'd just as soon give back to the LCS when you pull them as you would to put them in a sleeve. And don't forget Roethlisberger and his 2 Super Bowls. He isn't even mentioned amoung the best players or most valuable cards even though he has as many SB wins as Manning, Favre and Marino combined.

So, is winning the SB really what makes a hot or collectable player?
oldgoldy97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #46
BAMBAM

Why does it matter what people are paying for Newton cards ? I'm just glad to see someone is selling at a high level with the way the re-sale market is these days. Now if I could only pull a few Newtons to sell instead of Bilal Powell who haunts me this year. Let the hype machine roll and cash in while you can if you're lucky enough to pull his cards.

BTW Some of the posts in this thread remind me of all the foolish people on here over the years who said Peyton Manning was over-rated, didn't deserve the MVPs ...yada yada yada....look at the Colts now. Pretty much the same core, can't win. I think the word great is over-used in sports these days but Manning is truly great, it's a shame it took him missing a season to prove it to many.

Players like Manning and Brady are truly great players that you should appreciate watching now, even if you can't stand them or their teams, because they won't be around forever.

Newton looks like he is a special player who I didn't think would put up the numbers he has put up this early but he's obviously a long way off from any conversations that include Manning and Brady.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM   #47
go_steelers07

i just hope more people become more stupid and the prices on other rookies rise even higher..........
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #48
armyatc22

I think people are looking at it as an investment. We already know that Brady, Manning, Rodgers all have amounted to something but how hard is it to find those RC autos. Yes Cams prices are crazy high but think about a few years down the road when this contract is up and has a chance to go to a better team or say the Panthers get some great young talent and they start winning. We will be having the same discussion with those rookies that year and Cams current cards.

Try finding a RC auto of the elite players that have been in the league for at least 5 years for rock bottom prices....you can't

So again like I said at the beginning I think it deals with the investment part. People are buying to wait for another huge game or record broken or to save to hold and wait for a Super Bowl win (crazy fans in Alabama lol)

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #49
fishtaco02

+1
Feel the same way man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
I think people are looking at it as an investment. We already know that Brady, Manning, Rodgers all have amounted to something but how hard is it to find those RC autos. Yes Cams prices are crazy high but think about a few years down the road when this contract is up and has a chance to go to a better team or say the Panthers get some great young talent and they start winning. We will be having the same discussion with those rookies that year and Cams current cards.

Try finding a RC auto of the elite players that have been in the league for at least 5 years for rock bottom prices....you can't

So again like I said at the beginning I think it deals with the investment part. People are buying to wait for another huge game or record broken or to save to hold and wait for a Super Bowl win (crazy fans in Alabama lol)

Just my 2 cents
Base: http://s1137.photobucket.com/albums/n507/L_I_P/Baseball/
fishtaco02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #50
bdubs3316

Quote:
he put up better numbers than brady and marino so far, why would he not be compared to them at this point in his career?

nobody said he was better than them or anything like that, I just said his statement about winning isn't always true, marino lost for years.

I don't really see the problem with comparing him to any QB, he's a QB.... what else you going to compare him with? a RB? WR? lol
yep....comparisons should be made 4 games into a career