Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 05-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #26
DSizzle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
Wasn't there a thread on here last year about someone complaining about not getting a bobble head? I remember the thread being a huge backfire on the OP.
That was at a Braves game. Major OP backfire. Here's the link:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/b...ayed-home.html

Last edited by DSizzle31; 05-15-2017 at 09:59 PM.
DSizzle31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 PM   #27
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSizzle31 View Post

I crack up every time I read that. The overwhelming sense of entitlement is alarming to say the least.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:26 PM   #28
hairysasquatch

Quote:

That was the oblique reference I was making - couldn't recall the exact details but that thread was pure gold. A grown man and his bobblehead...
Old 05-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #29
kpete42

Quote:

Oh my god...that was pure gold. Just hilarious. A grown man crying about not getting a Star Wars bobblehead...Classic.
kpete42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:00 PM   #30
OC22

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post
Brewers have bobblheads several times a year given away on a Sunday. In fact I am going to the Robin Yount one in a couple weeks. There is always people who pre-sell them on Ebay also. They buy a bunch of the cheap $10-15 upper deck tickets walk in and out just to get the bobblehead then leave without watching the game.
I've seen this at several different bobblehead days. The latest was in St. Louis on Yadier Molina day. I got there when the gates opened, and there were probably 5,000+ in line at the gate I went in. I saw at least three or four guys who had tote bags full of them leaving the stadium as I was walking in. I overheard one saying he bought however many $6 standing room only tickets. The Yadi bobbleheads were going for $40 on eBay shortly after the game, so there is a profit to be turned if you don't mind spending the time.
OC22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 PM   #31
majestik101

That thread never gets old. When I am having a bad day, I just pull up that thread, read it and think to myself, well at least I'm not that guy.
Looking for: 2017 Panini Phoenix Black Parallel RC Chris Godwin /10, 2017 Panini Select Chris Godwin RC Vertical Multi Color Patch Auto Tie-Dye /10 and 2017 Panini Limited Warren Moon/Earl Campbell Dual Auto /10
majestik101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #32
iambp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiwe21 View Post
You basically have about 10 days before the market for a MLB bobble with 20,000 pieces drops in half. After that, if it's not a team with a huge following, it goes easily go below $10.00. The trick is to trade and sell asap and then buy back six months later if you're a true collector.
If only that were the case in my attempt to get a Jayson Werth gnome. Although judging by the pictures it looks like the same few people just selling them over and over and over again.
iambp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:20 AM   #33
Bcwcardz

Bobbleheads pay for us to go to games all year. Getting our Trout bobbleheads tomorrow, keeping 2 selling 2 then buying tickets for the next game we want to go to.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Bcwcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #34
Natitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffan15 View Post
Parking is free on the streets around the park on Sundays. I got there late and still found a spot 2 blocks away.
I don't think it's actually free anymore on Sundays around Nationals park when there is a game, but you could be lucky and not get enforced. But I've seen cars get ticketed on Sunday game days.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:55 AM   #35
JimShorts01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabballplayer14 View Post

The $45 parking blew me away - granted it is DC, but wow - that was a shock.
I always use parking apps like Parking Panda to look for cheap garage parking around Nats Park. Those apps always offer a discount to first time users so if you don't mind signing up for a new account every time, you can easily find parking for under $20.
JimShorts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #36
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher27 View Post
Wasn't there a thread on here last year about someone complaining about not getting a bobble head? I remember the thread being a huge backfire on the OP.
Yes. It was someone that went to a Braves game last year. He bought a ticket thinking anyone got the bobblehead. But didn't realize he had to get a theme ticket to get it.

My personal experience is I went to a Royals game 4 years ago for a bobblehead. Some family put their bobbleheads behind their seats to keep them out of the way or out of the rain. Since the stadium was half empty they moved to another seats later in the game. I saw some guy try to take their bobbleheads as they tried to find another seat.

I think it's crappy some teams only give away 10000. Makes the frenzy outside the gate that much worse. I know of one team that at least gives away 30000 so most who go to the game get the giveaway. And less likely anyone gets hurt. I have waited at the gate early before, but I would never knock someone out of the way to get in line. I have kept all mine so far. I have seen people leave with both arms full of bobbleheads as soon as the gates opened. I doubt they stayed for the game.

I like the idea of the team gives a voucher before the game. But doesn't give the bobblehead until the 7th inning. That is how it should be done.
HYPTZEMDSTRPLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:52 AM   #37
awz50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearce77 View Post

He causes trouble in the Seneca thread as well so not surprising.
HHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Still a Wade Miley Supercollector, I still do not know why
awz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 AM   #38
jrinne17

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman80 View Post
Brewers have bobblheads several times a year given away on a Sunday. In fact I am going to the Robin Yount one in a couple weeks. There is always people who pre-sell them on Ebay also. They buy a bunch of the cheap $10-15 upper deck tickets walk in and out just to get the bobblehead then leave without watching the game.
The best part is Brewers bobbleheads really don't sell very well anymore. Ill be at the game for the Yount as well, that one might sell because he's sitting on a harley.
jrinne17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:41 AM   #39
Thinking

Teams create this crap by restricting the number given out.

At least some teams still give them to everyone which eliminates the pre-game fight for a spot in line.

The Phillies have a couple games where everyone gets one and a few games where you buy a voucher ticket (those games typically only offer 1-3k -- but since its a voucher there is no crazy crowd situation).

We went to Phils-Nats game earlier this season with the Daniel Murphy bobblehead. Since we are Phils fans I ended up selling them all to cover the cost of our tickets and parking. It is nice to see a game for free once in awhile.

Thought about going to this game as well -- glad I didn't after seeing these lines.
Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #40
Steve2112

The Syracuse Chiefs just gave away a Turner bobblehead about three weeks ago. It brought out a decent crowd (by their standards) on a chilly Saturday. I'm not big on bobbleheads (my father loves them), but when they're a giveaway on a day you're already planning to go, it's kind of cool.

I remember in 2013 (or maybe 2014), we were in Pittsburgh for the Robert Morris card show, and went to a Pirates game on what turned out to be A.J. Burnett "camo" bobblehead night. Again, it wasn't of McCutchen, or a former Pirate great like Clemente, Stargell, Parker, etc. It was just A.J. Burnett. So during the game I had the box under my chair, between my feet, and at the end of the game, it was gone. So if you're heading down there for the RMU show this weekend (as we are), and decide to go to the Saturday game for the Bob Walk "bobble-chair" doll giveaway (which we're not), hang onto it at all times. Bobble-thieves are everywhere!
-2008 Donruss EEE #190 Carson Blair "Aspirations" auto /25 (have four of the 25)
-always interested in people's unwanted Pat Neshek base cards
Steve2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 AM   #41
gabballplayer14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShorts01 View Post
I always use parking apps like Parking Panda to look for cheap garage parking around Nats Park. Those apps always offer a discount to first time users so if you don't mind signing up for a new account every time, you can easily find parking for under $20.

Awesome, thanks for the helpful info. Will definitely look into this if I go back there for another game.
http://gabballplayer14.imgur.com/all/#1
gabballplayer14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #42
bounty37h

I went to a college basketball game a few years ago where they had put shirts on each seat before the game. Was disgusted to see how many people walked around and just picked em up and walked off with arms full of them before most fans were even in the stadium.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #43
mrveggieman

My God. And I thought it was bad here in Atlanta.
mrveggieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #44
glassnickels

The Cubs only give away 10,000 of each which creates a madhouse. But at least they no longer allow people to get multiple bobbleheads with multiple tickets. You can only get one and then go to the back of the line. I don't think you'd even make it through the line twice honestly. So at least you don't see those guys with bags full of them anymore.
glassnickels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 AM   #45
jrinne17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShorts01 View Post
What are the chances this guy pack searches when he's not busy loading up on bobbleheads?

https://t.co/ZCarSuGJIW
People can make fun of this guy all they want but on my numbers (possibly 23 bobbleheads) after shipping and fees he stands to make around $600 to $700 profit based on current market value. Sounds like a pretty smart business guy if you ask me.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:37 AM   #46
lamiwe21

I follow a Oakland Athletics marketing person who helps secure sponsors for giveaway items and a typical bobblehead increases attendance by only 5,000. It probably slightly higher for a Cubs or Braves but can t be worth the headache.
lamiwe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:45 AM   #47
Pearce77

Quote:
I follow a Oakland Athletics marketing person who helps secure sponsors for giveaway items and a typical bobblehead increases attendance by only 5,000. It probably slightly higher for a Cubs or Braves but can t be worth the headache.
That would be a 12.5% increase in attendance for Miller Park. Some of those 5,000 are going to buy food, drinks and merch.
Pearce77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #48
jrinne17

Quote:
That would be a 12.5% increase in attendance for Miller Park. Some of those 5,000 are going to buy food, drinks and merch.
More than likely the average would be around $10 per person that's giving and taking based on the age of each person. Still at $10 that's $50,000, not bad.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #49
lamiwe21

Quote:
I understand the $ part of it being worth it but the burden it puts on gameday staff must be taxing. Have you ever witness someone trying to exchange a broken bobblehead after the 2nd inning ?
lamiwe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #50
jrinne17

Quote:
I understand the $ part of it being worth it but the burden it puts on gameday staff must be taxing. Have you ever witness someone trying to exchange a broken bobblehead after the 2nd inning ?
Not really sure what the big deal is, its part of their job and they get paid to occasionally go above and beyond to help the company out.