Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Does Game-Used / Player-Worn affect your buying habits?
I don't buy unless it specifies it is game used. 20 46.51%
I don't check wording on the back & don't care much about the difference. 12 27.91%
I check the wording on the back & don't pay as much if it says player-worn. 11 25.58%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #1
mouschi

Default Does Game-Used / Player-Worn affect your buying habits?

It looks like Topps is now including verbiage on the backs of some of their cards that appear to leave no room for them to be game used:

The back of a 2017 Topps Inception Manny Machado card:
"The relic contained in this card was worn by the featured player. The execution of all player-worn memorabilia is witnessed by a Topps representative ot guarantee authenticity."

In the same product, some others say:
"The relic contained on this card is not from any specific game, event or season."

In Strata of course, they have the mlb hologram (which, imo is awesome):
"The jersey within this card has been authenticated under the auspices of the MLB Authentication Program."

Heck, Panini has some cards that are clearly player-worn and sell for over 4 figures.

So, my question is this: Does the fact that all card companies clearly use player-worn material (though not all the time) in their cards affect your buying?

www.TanManBaseballFan.com
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Viking6

I don't trust any of the card companies with regards to game used material.

I do like that Topps seems to put the authentication stickers on some of the newer products where you could look up which game the item was worn.

but

I don't pay more for some sick event used patch. I don't see why anybody would even want them personally. To each their own.

Panini and Topps pretty much ruined it on the football side for me with all the event used rookie garbage. Panini getting blasted over Flawless event used patches etc. If you can't trust a company to put game used stuff in a $1,300 a box product... I can't trust them for anything.
Viking6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
mouschi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking6 View Post
Panini getting blasted over Flawless event used patches etc. If you can't trust a company to put game used stuff in a $1,300 a box product... I can't trust them for anything.
The football debacle(s) over the past few years have really caused a lot of people to scratch their heads. They were able to save face (somewhat) by saying "sorry, we labeled them wrong", but what is funny is that if this were 5 years ago, that would not have saved their bacon. I think there would have been a HUGE outcry. We live in different times now, though.

I can understand rookie guys having player worn stuff since they haven't played, but the Machado kind of threw me for a loop since he plays. I am not saying I would care enough for it to affect my buying, but it seems like the theme that I've seen up until now is the player-worn stuff was generally the guys who hadn't played yet.

www.TanManBaseballFan.com
mouschi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #4
armstrong
Banned

For me to buy any relic, it must have the following on the card:

1) "The relic contained in this card was obtained from Baseball Player / Stadium on this date under the auspices of the MLB Authentication Program"

2) Hologram sticker on the relic with the MLB Authentication # verifying above.

3) "This relic parallel version of the card features a piece of the relic by Baseball player in Game XXX of the Game".

Without those requirements, you're getting a relic that looks nice but isn't meaning full in my opinion.
armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
dhendrix1303

The problem is they don't acknowledge their mistakes when they are put on blast by collectors. (A handful of times they have)

How many mistakes exist and not brought to light? How many are knowingly fraudulent?
dhendrix1303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
speedyjg13

I bought a bunch of Weaver cards with relics on them years ago when he was somewhat relevant. I then checked the wording on the back and immediately sold them all. I dont have 1 single card with a relic now and refuse to buy them.
speedyjg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
tkraft24

With the amount of cards available relative to collectors chasing them I feel like I can be pickier than ever. Yes, the wording on the back absolutely influences whether or not I'll purchase a card or in the least how much I'd spend.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Hollywood42

Collecting is much easier when you don't worry about if it was used in a game or not and instead focus on the visual appeal of the card. If it has a holo sticker or specifically says it was game used on the back, that's a bonus. Should it be that way? Maybe not. But it is what it is. To answer the poll question, personally, it doesn't really bother me
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
tkraft24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Collecting is much easier when you don't worry about if it was used in a game or not and instead focus on the visual appeal of the card. If it has a holo sticker or specifically says it was game used on the back, that's a bonus. Should it be that way? Maybe not. But it is what it is. To answer the poll question, personally, it doesn't really bother me
Agree to an extent but the prices brought in by nice looking event-worn or player-worn patch cards makes them an easy pass. To me, they are on the same level as manufactured patch cards which sell for pennies on the dollar compared to event/player worn patches.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Hollywood42

Event worn/player worn at least came in contact with the player. Completely understand the qualms people have with it all, but it doesn't bug me as much

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkraft24 View Post
Agree to an extent but the prices brought in by nice looking event-worn or player-worn patch cards makes them an easy pass. To me, they are on the same level as manufactured patch cards which sell for pennies on the dollar compared to event/player worn patches.
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
tkraft24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
Event worn/player worn at least came in contact with the player. Completely understand the qualms people have with it all, but it doesn't bug me as much
I guess a player touching a jersey in front of a Topps employee just doesn't do it for me. A couple years ago, Topps put out some nice Charlie Sheen relics which sold for a ton of money. They were cool cards but they were selling as if the materials were from a jersey used in Major League. I went for the Major League autograph instead.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
bulljh

I'll go with the forth option - I don't waste money on any of them because I don't trust them.

Warriors fan since 1988
bulljh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
hairysasquatch

Cue Mark Ingram picture....
Old 05-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
smapdi

I don't buy high-end boxes that contain this sort of stuff. But I kinda like the new Inception and all the large patches and autos were enticing enough for me to look into buying a couple box breaks. However, once I looked closer at the cards and they all say "player worn", as far as I've seen, that's a no-go for me.
smapdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
Natitude

The confusion of the GU/non-GU stuff led me to selling all my relic and patch cards.