Blowout Cards Forums
Blowout Shipping

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-19-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
smackedsillyxxx

Default upcoming products

In my personal opinion there not much coming out to open, unless you're a star wars fan then there is new stuff every month, I'm not saying that's bad.

I remember in like 2012 / 2013, new stuff was coming out like once a month and it was amazing.

I hope Crypto is going to get new licenses.
The 100
Izombie

Or maybe there just isn't as many card worthy shows right now as back then?
smackedsillyxxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #2
PoPCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackedsillyxxx View Post
In my personal opinion there not much coming out to open, unless you're a star wars fan then there is new stuff every month, I'm not saying that's bad.

I remember in like 2012 / 2013, new stuff was coming out like once a month and it was amazing.

The 100
Izombie

I will say it then.......thatís bad lol.

I agree that there doesnít seem to be much happening with non-sports that is new and exciting. The 1st qtr is always slow it seems. I am sort of enjoying the break right now between the deluge we were hit with in Q4 2017 and the new CZE sets starting Q2. If UD would time release of the the movie sets with the theatrical release it would help fill the void a little as well. If they start taking any longer we will get cards the same time as digital/dvd release.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Vargaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPCulture View Post
If they start taking any longer we will get cards the same time as digital/dvd release.
Then maybe we can have promo cards in the dvd case instead of packs of underwear

My FS/FT thread https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1112127
Vargaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
AceGambit3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackedsillyxxx View Post

The 100
Izombie

Been hoping this for 3 years now.......already told my LCS those come into existence that a case needs to be ordered for me asap. 2 cases for The 100 lol.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #5
dd316

I don't have the current issue handy, but NSU always included a laundry list of upcoming releases.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #6
Spazzy

I wouldnt mind a star wars galaxy set again...love star wars but i dont like picture cards...
Enjoyed spidey fleer 2017 but tgats coming 5o an end...premier is a small set..and pricey...wouldnt mind another xmen..not sure how i feel about all these extra chase sets like spidey..gets real expensive
Spazzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #7
TPW4

Star Wars, Star Trek, Marvel films, DC tv shows, Game of Thrones. That is the bulk of what is what is popular right now. I like the idea of some of the nostalgic sets that have come out recently; Ghostbusters, Aliens, Rocky. It seems like the main four companies are pretty busy with the licenses that they are currently running with. I like the idea of getting a couple of nostalgic sets a year, while getting the new stuff out as well. Gives me a chance to maybe come up with autos from iconic characters. I do kinda wish that some of the other new stuff could get captured as well, but I could see how that could get overwhelming and expensive for companies. And they are doing pretty well with those licenses that they are running with. I definitely can't keep up with all of the Star Wars sets. I'm ok with sets being a little late, if the sets end up great. I'd love to see some sets of animation films with autos and sketch cards from animators, voice actors, writers, composers, etc. There's just so many possibilities, and probably so many obstacles.
TPW4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
webjon

I agree there isn't much to open coming up. There is a release schedule on Beckett's site. I don't see any small press sets listed, and I'm not sure if that's because there aren't any, or if they just don't list them.

There was such a glut of product for a while that you couldn't keep up with it, now I feel like the opposite is true.

It also seems like there are only a handful of types of sets being made. SciFi Franchises, Comic Book based TV shows/Movies, and manufacturer owned IP (Wacky/GPK) seemingly covering about 90% of the announced non-sport releases.

I'm hoping for more Pop Century. I would love to see Breygent return with more AHS and Red Sonja -- same for Press Pass with Parks and Rec plus music releases. It would also be cool to see a resurgence of small press sketch (or other) releases. I do wish Panini would have continued their music lines beyond country music.
webjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #9
nabzy28

Pop Century is typically released right around the time of the National, so you'd be looking at late July/early August if they stick to what they've done for years. I've, basically, given up entirely on Star Wars. The Perna's set is slated for May or June (I think?), so that should be a good one to look forward to. The artist list looks amazing. It looked like Cryptozoic has a lot, if not all, of the sketches for Rick & Morty, based on images posted on Twitter of boxes from the artists. Hopefully see that in April or May, as scheduled. Appears the artists were given freedom to draw in their own styles and I'll be looking forward to that set. I know it'll probably never happen due to how protective gaming companies are of their character licensing but, I'd absolutely love it if someone could get a sketch set going, open to characters of games from Nintendo/PS4/X-Box, etc.
Will 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 be the year Panini finds Marvin Harrison & Marcus Allen to sign their NFL's Greatest Signatures cards? 05/08/18: Replacements requested. Let's see what happens...
nabzy28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:54 AM   #10
ekalbnz

I was hoping Upper Deck would have released The Crow by now since they announced it back in 2014!
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 AM   #11
Scifi Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjon View Post
I'm hoping for more Pop Century. I would love to see Breygent return with more AHS and Red Sonja -- same for Press Pass with Parks and Rec plus music releases. It would also be cool to see a resurgence of small press sketch (or other) releases. I do wish Panini would have continued their music lines beyond country music.
Pop Century will be in the Summer, almost a certainty.

I wouldn't hold out hope on Breygent.

Dynamic Forces put out promos for a new Red Sonja set though. Not sure what channels that would go though, hopefully not just Diamond.

You're aware Press Pass closed up shop, yes?

Unfortunately the Panini Country Music set was WAY overproduced and over hyped. Not much chance for a followup Rock set, though it would be a perfect format for such a thing.

1Q is always the slowest, things will start ramping up soon.

Ed
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
TPW4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifi Cards View Post
Unfortunately the Panini Country Music set was WAY overproduced and over hyped.
They kind of did the same thing with the 2015 Americana set as well, didn't they?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 AM   #13
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I know it'll probably never happen due to how protective gaming companies are of their character licensing but, I'd absolutely love it if someone could get a sketch set going, open to characters of games from Nintendo/PS4/X-Box, etc.
I'd cut a finger off to get a Mass Effect or Dragon Age set with sketch cards.

Granted, maybe not my finger..
kerg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
TPW4

Quote:

Ed
Artbox, Inkworks... Seems like it is super tough for these companies to stay in business.

Topps, Panini, Upper Deck have exclusive sports sets that have to give them a leg up on the competition, financially speaking. Rittenhouse seems to have been trying the same idea with the WNBA sets.

There have been several discussions on here of folks conversing about starting card companies. Seems like it is pretty tough to get going and then keep going. If a small company has a bust set, it basically cripples them. Those smaller companies seem to really have helped fill in creative gaps, through the years though.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
dd316

Quote:
There is a release schedule on Beckett's site. I don't see any small press sets listed, and I'm not sure if that's because there aren't any, or if they just don't list them.
That's why I mentioned the physical magazine - it had dozens of releases listed.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #16
tier1dc

Where's the Rittenhouse Mr. Robot set?
tier1dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:29 PM   #17
webjon

Quote:

Dynamic Forces put out promos for a new Red Sonja set though. Not sure what channels that would go though, hopefully not just Diamond.

Unfortunately the Panini Country Music set was WAY overproduced and over hyped. Not much chance for a followup Rock set, though it would be a perfect format for such a thing.

1Q is always the slowest, things will start ramping up soon.

Ed
I just noticed yesterday that Breygent's website is gone. Sad. I was aware that Press Pass was gone too -- just when they really started to get interesting.

I had no idea Dynamic Forces put out a Red Sonja promo. . . I hope they make a set. I'll have to try to hunt down more info.

Totally agree on Panini Country. I wasn't sure it was the right genre to start with, then the product run seemed endless. It's too bad, I think if it was done right it could be a good compliment to Pop Century and Americana. Also I wish Americana would focus more on Astronauts. The Panini Century set was really nice -- and the astronaut/space stuff seems to sell consistently and above average price wise.

Art sets would be cool too, but without having sketches by the original artists I think it would be challenging to keep them relevant in the current collecting environment.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:35 PM   #18
dd316

Quote:
I had no idea Dynamic Forces put out a Red Sonja promo. . . I hope they make a set. I'll have to try to hunt down more info.
Pretty sure they did release a set. I'm almost positive I've seen sketches (and not from the Breygent set).

DF put out a number of sets that flew under the radar.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
jadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
That's why I mentioned the physical magazine - it had dozens of releases listed.
Weren't you featured in Beckett once?
jadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
rittdk01

I’m a card or two away from a master set of Parks and Recreation. The lack of releases only gives me time for true completion of the few sets I collect and love. Psych, Parks and Recreation and Bates Motel are the sets I’m always collecting.

I gotta say Star Wars and the Marvel sets don’t even feel like non sports releases. They are overpriced, sticker heavy, and busted by the case by dealers strictly hoping to make a profit. Just like sports cards.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #21
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Weren't you featured in Beckett once?
Long time ago.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #22
Scifi Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd316 View Post
Pretty sure they did release a set. I'm almost positive I've seen sketches (and not from the Breygent set).

DF put out a number of sets that flew under the radar.
DF did a Red Sonja years ago, nice set.

But there is a new promo floating around, I think NYCC was where it first showed up. No real info beyond that though.

I keep at Brian Pulido to authorize someone to do a full scale Lady Death set. That's another that's overdue for a new set.

Ed
Old 02-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #23
smackedsillyxxx

A Lady Death set would be amazing, so would a second Hack/Slash set since I missed the first one...
smackedsillyxxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #24
ElainePerna

Quote:

But there is a new promo floating around, I think NYCC was where it first showed up. No real info beyond that though.

I keep at Brian Pulido to authorize someone to do a full scale Lady Death set. That's another that's overdue for a new set.

Ed
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere on Facebook that Breygent was hiring artists for a Red Sonja set. So a set might be in the works.
ElainePerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #25
webjon

Quote:

Ed
Awesome. I do see the promo and an autographed promo that was released at the end of last year.

The last Red Sonja set from Breygent was awesome. The artists really put fantastic sketches out.

The DF sets were good too, especially the 35th anniversary set.