Blowout Cards Forums
2018 summer sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > FANTASY SPORTS TALK > FANTASY BASEBALL

Notices

FANTASY BASEBALL Post your BASEBALL fantasy talk here... daily fantasy and leagues.

Old 08-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #401
Viking6

I do have 1 question/concern for the future years that I am curious about. Say I draft Trout next year and he gets injured for 3-4 months. I have to hold him on my DL all season just to prevent somebody keeping Trout the following year as a 15th rd FA pickup? That just doesnít seem fair. Anything we can do about that? Or is that just how it is?
Viking6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #402
Hollywood42

Right now you would have to keep him on your DL to avoid that. Ideally we would have a rule that would prevent someone from getting 15th round value in a situation like that, but I don't know exactly how to create a rule for those situations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking6 View Post
I do have 1 question/concern for the future years that I am curious about. Say I draft Trout next year and he gets injured for 3-4 months. I have to hold him on my DL all season just to prevent somebody keeping Trout the following year as a 15th rd FA pickup? That just doesnít seem fair. Anything we can do about that? Or is that just how it is?
Blowout's Minnesota Twins Face of the Franchise
Hollywood42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #403
ksemmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
I'd agree that the should become better as we move on. And I fully recognize that I in part helped set the crazy market for keepers. My first few trades were very difficult because I really needed to sell to put my team in a good position for next year, but it felt like nobody was very willing to make any moves until I overpaid for some good options. I think my most recent trade was a little bit better since one side got 2 decent keepers and the other got 2 non-keepers, but maybe even that one could have been a bit better. But really the only way to improve it would have been to add more fluff on the keeper side, and then what's the point if they're not going to be kept anyways?

The two most recent deals are really showing that things are off, though. Albies is a pretty solid keeper, but Trea, Paxton, and Andujar is a huge return. Then with the most recent one, wow. Blackmon, Grienke, Daniel Murphy, and a decent closer for basically just Patrick Corbin? I can't imagine Happ or Leclerc would be anywhere close to keepers at this point. That's just an insane trade to go through

Not sure if there's really much we can do about it at this point, but hopefully we all learn better values and better trades as we get more experience!

Yeah that's on me, the 18th was much later in the year than I realized when I set it. I'll do something in early August next year around, I definitely agree the deadline should be a lot earlier

The problem I face is that I usually sent out quite a few trade offers a year. I would say 75% of the time I don't even receive feedback as to why the trade was declined. Even if we aren't even close, feedback as to the other person's thoughts would at least help me in future deals.

Corbin currently averages more points than Greinke and is a 15th round keeper. So really I traded Blackmon (cannot keep) and Greinke (round 4) for a Greinke caliber (by points this year) and 11 rounds better value.

I thought my team was a bubble team to compete for the championship but once some of these other trades were made, it put me too far back. The one "issue" with this type of keeper league is that the higher player guys serve no purpose to teams that are competitive. So moving 3 top players for one keeper makes far more sense than getting nothing and being set back.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #404
Hollywood42

That's a common issue, but there's not really any way to force people to improve that. Hopefully it'll get a little bit better next year as we look at replacing some guys that haven't been active

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksemmel View Post
The problem I face is that I usually sent out quite a few trade offers a year. I would say 75% of the time I don't even receive feedback as to why the trade was declined. Even if we aren't even close, feedback as to the other person's thoughts would at least help me in future deals.
Don't forget about Murphy, though. He's been hurt this year so his season long point totals lag behind the others, but he's a quality piece as well. Especially looking at Corbin who has lost a lot of steam from earlier on in the year, it's a ton of talent for not much in return

I guess that's one of the things I'm not entirely sure about. It's tough to balance how much to give up from a solid keeper. If Team A has a good quality keeper, it doesn't make any sense for them to trade that guy for 1 player that might be a little bit better but can't be kept. But at the same time, if Team B has 2 top end players that can't be kept, it seems like giving up a ton if moving both of those guys for 1 guy not as good as either of them but with better keeper value

That's kinda the issue I'm getting at here. That paired with a general unwillingness of the top teams to trade their keepers (I understand it from their perspective) has lead to a lot of trades resulting in something completely one sided

I don't know, maybe it'll balance out after a few years, but something seems wrong when someone can sell one guy with decent keeper value and get 2 or 3 top tier guys that will help them become impossible to touch in the playoffs

Quote:
Corbin currently averages more points than Greinke and is a 15th round keeper. So really I traded Blackmon (cannot keep) and Greinke (round 4) for a Greinke caliber (by points this year) and 11 rounds better value.

I thought my team was a bubble team to compete for the championship but once some of these other trades were made, it put me too far back. The one "issue" with this type of keeper league is that the higher player guys serve no purpose to teams that are competitive. So moving 3 top players for one keeper makes far more sense than getting nothing and being set back.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM   #405
ksemmel

Quote:
That's a common issue, but there's not really any way to force people to improve that. Hopefully it'll get a little bit better next year as we look at replacing some guys that haven't been active

Don't forget about Murphy, though. He's been hurt this year so his season long point totals lag behind the others, but he's a quality piece as well. Especially looking at Corbin who has lost a lot of steam from earlier on in the year, it's a ton of talent for not much in return

I guess that's one of the things I'm not entirely sure about. It's tough to balance how much to give up from a solid keeper. If Team A has a good quality keeper, it doesn't make any sense for them to trade that guy for 1 player that might be a little bit better but can't be kept. But at the same time, if Team B has 2 top end players that can't be kept, it seems like giving up a ton if moving both of those guys for 1 guy not as good as either of them but with better keeper value

That's kinda the issue I'm getting at here. That paired with a general unwillingness of the top teams to trade their keepers (I understand it from their perspective) has lead to a lot of trades resulting in something completely one sided

I don't know, maybe it'll balance out after a few years, but something seems wrong when someone can sell one guy with decent keeper value and get 2 or 3 top tier guys that will help them become impossible to touch in the playoffs
That is the "problem". There is nothing to base anything off of, and really no one picked in the first 5-6 rounds hold keeper value that makes sense. You really have to make the decision to either go all in one year or all out. Makes the trade deadline more fun, but could result in frustration quits after 2,3,4+ years.

But then again, it is much like the MLB which makes it fun. Do you go the White Socks route and try to really rebuild, go the Cubs route and trade your best prospects to win once or twice, or try to be like the Yankees (which is insanely difficult) and have a mix out legit players and prospects that have kept them competitive over the last 4-5 years but just not quite enough to get the the WS.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:12 PM   #406
Viking6

I never included comments on declined trades simply because I canít figure out where the comments go in the ESPN App. Just doesnít show me an option. Too much work to come onto blowout and determine the owner and message for a simple decline message.
Viking6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #407
Hollywood42

I don’t think the app has that functionality. Never have liked their app

Edit- I'd highly recommend for everyone to use the desktop site when you can, especially if you get a trade offer that isn't far off but don't want to accept. I know the app is convenient if you're on the go, but it is frustrating to send out a solid offer and get it declined without knowing why if the other owner does seem open to making a deal. If an offer is way too and there's no point to including a justification for the decline, that's fine, but in general it's always nice to get a bit of feedback

Quote:
I never included comments on declined trades simply because I can’t figure out where the comments go in the ESPN App. Just doesn’t show me an option. Too much work to come onto blowout and determine the owner and message for a simple decline message.

Last edited by Hollywood42; 08-08-2018 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #408
ksemmel

Quote:
I never included comments on declined trades simply because I canít figure out where the comments go in the ESPN App. Just doesnít show me an option. Too much work to come onto blowout and determine the owner and message for a simple decline message.
There is no option to write a comment on the app.

I know if I decline a trade on the app, I will try to message the sender on here the next time I am on just to give my reasoning. That dialog definitely helps both parties understand viewpoints and helps future trades. That is actually exactly how my trade was completed yesterday... through a pm on here following me declining the other party's offer
Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #409
nateyad

Yeah we definitely need to change something going into next year. I didn't even really want to trade Albies, but seeing all these other trades go through I felt like I had no chance to win. Even with the trade I still probably don't have much chance but I guess you never know.
nateyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #410
ksemmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyad View Post
Yeah we definitely need to change something going into next year. I didn't even really want to trade Albies, but seeing all these other trades go through I felt like I had no chance to win. Even with the trade I still probably don't have much chance but I guess you never know.
I don't know if we need to change anything in terms of settings, I think a lot of it just has to deal with this being the first year in the league and no one really knows what solid keepers should be valued at. As we get into next year and see who people keep/who is available to be drafted it should change a lot of the strategies moving forward.

I personally don't mind this type of league/strategy as there have been more trades in the last 7-10 days than there was during the entire season previously.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #411
nateyad

Quote:
I don't know if we need to change anything in terms of settings, I think a lot of it just has to deal with this being the first year in the league and no one really knows what solid keepers should be valued at. As we get into next year and see who people keep/who is available to be drafted it should change a lot of the strategies moving forward.

I personally don't mind this type of league/strategy as there have been more trades in the last 7-10 days than there was during the entire season previously.
Yeah but you are going to have this every season. Teams that are out of it are going to trade first and second round talent for the best keepers. Nothing will ever change that in the current settings. In a keeper league if you have nothing to gain, getting the best keepers no matter the cost is the only viable option. I really don't know what else can be done to change it but I know what will happen. I had a similar league but in football and the one year I traded for Gronk and Tom Brady to add to Bell, McCoy, Julio Jones etc. and the whole league was screwed come playoff time.
nateyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #412
Hollywood42

I do think things will balance out after this year. Some teams that weren't so good this year have traded for solid keepers and will be better next year, while a few teams that are going all in this year might not have as many good keeper options for next next year, which could balance things out

Either way, each team only gets 4 keepers each year. The biggest determinant in which teams will be good and which won't will always be the draft. Keepers can definitely help, but a large majority of it will be based on the draft. Teams now have a full year to see exactly how this scoring system rewards things, so people may change their strategies heading into the draft as well
Old 08-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #413
ksemmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateyad View Post
Yeah but you are going to have this every season. Teams that are out of it are going to trade first and second round talent for the best keepers. Nothing will ever change that in the current settings. In a keeper league if you have nothing to gain, getting the best keepers no matter the cost is the only viable option. I really don't know what else can be done to change it but I know what will happen. I had a similar league but in football and the one year I traded for Gronk and Tom Brady to add to Bell, McCoy, Julio Jones etc. and the whole league was screwed come playoff time.
Yes, and that is my only fear for this league. That the top 2-3 teams trade away all their keepers and then quit after the season.

And I was 100% a buyer going into playoffs until I felt like I could not compete after some of the recent trades. And I am in the exact position you are talking about, I have Ramirez, Stanton and Severino and would have no problem dealing all three for one stud keeper. Those 3 guys would easily put any competing team over the edge to become the favorite to win and it would set me up very nicely for next year. All-in-all it hurts the competitive balance of the league, but it makes strategy far more important. I love the strategy behind fantasy so it doesn't bother me, but it does make things tough for future years/other teams
Old 08-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #414
ksemmel

Quote:
I do think things will balance out after this year. Some teams that weren't so good this year have traded for solid keepers and will be better next year, while a few teams that are going all in this year might not have as many good keeper options for next next year, which could balance things out

Either way, each team only gets 4 keepers each year. The biggest determinant in which teams will be good and which won't will always be the draft. Keepers can definitely help, but a large majority of it will be based on the draft. Teams now have a full year to see exactly how this scoring system rewards things, so people may change their strategies heading into the draft as well
5 keepers.......
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #415
Hollywood42

Oops, working on some setup details for my football league where we have 4 keepers, got them mixed up. Still largely dependent on the draft though

Quote:
5 keepers.......
Old 08-08-2018, 05:40 PM   #416
ksmith31

I would agree that the first step in preventing these awful trades, yes they are awful and I felt forced to have to make one myself because of the precedent that was already set, would be to make the trade deadline much much earlier.

It should be set to a week that the playoff picture or who the favorites are still isn't defined. If the deadline was 2-3 weeks earlier I'd be willing to bet that most of these trades would not have happened. I know the one I made the owner wanted to wait a couple weeks because he was still fighting for playoffs, so this one wouldn't have been possible if the deadline were earlier.
ksmith31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #417
ksmith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith31 View Post
I would agree that the first step in preventing these awful trades, yes they are awful and I felt forced to have to make one myself because of the precedent that was already set, would be to make the trade deadline much much earlier.

It should be set to a week that the playoff picture or who the favorites are still isn't defined. If the deadline was 2-3 weeks earlier I'd be willing to bet that most of these trades would not have happened. I know the one I made the owner wanted to wait a couple weeks because he was still fighting for playoffs, so this one wouldn't have been possible if the deadline were earlier.
Also lowering the keeper count from 5 to 4 would help a bit in preventing these types of deals as well. That change shouldn't happen until Year 3 since people already traded based on having 5 keepers, but I do think it should be a change that happens in conjunction with an earlier trade deadline.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #418
ksmith31

Quote:
I do have 1 question/concern for the future years that I am curious about. Say I draft Trout next year and he gets injured for 3-4 months. I have to hold him on my DL all season just to prevent somebody keeping Trout the following year as a 15th rd FA pickup? That just doesn’t seem fair. Anything we can do about that? Or is that just how it is?
I would be fine with making every player be forced to being keeper eligible at their original drafted spot. That would prevent a dropping of a Trout or Kershaw or whomever because they got hurt and are done for the season and then whoever has #1 on the waiver wire to reap that massive reward of having an elite 1st round guy as a 15th round keeper.

Only true non-drafted free agents would abide by the 15th round rule in this scenario.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #419
ksemmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith31 View Post
I would be fine with making every player be forced to being keeper eligible at their original drafted spot. That would prevent a dropping of a Trout or Kershaw or whomever because they got hurt and are done for the season and then whoever has #1 on the waiver wire to reap that massive reward of having an elite 1st round guy as a 15th round keeper.

Only true non-drafted free agents would abide by the 15th round rule in this scenario.
I like this a lot as well. It also stops say me with the #1 waiver wire from dropping Jose Ramirez and then picking him up thus giving him round 15 status
Old 08-09-2018, 03:39 AM   #420
Ray27Ray52

I totally misjudged the scoring system for this league. I knew after the draft that was my team was weak in the pitching department but I assumed that my hitters would carry me. I couldn't have been more wrong. Our system is built for pitchers and if you don't draft them early, you don't nail those value picks, or miss adding them in free agency your team is sunk. Taking Altuve at #3, even if he was the 2017 MVP Altuve, sunk me from the jump. I won't make that mistake again.

I have to admit that my NL player pool knowledge deficiency was a huge factor for me as well. I was previously in AL only leagues for which, for fantasy purposes at least, I essentially ignored the NL. I've got a lot of homework to do in the off season to be better prepared. As the draft went on I probably missed a ton of value as I reached for recognizable AL players instead of taking a better value NL player. No excuse, I should have been better than that.
I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm...I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired...I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind..I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.

Last edited by Ray27Ray52; 08-09-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Ray27Ray52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #421
Hollywood42

Down to the last regular season matchup of the year! Playoffs are starting to take form. Ksmith and jacfire are locked in as the top 2 seeds, each earning byes for the first round. Semmel and myself have clinched playoff slots as well, but seeds are still up in the fair. Semmel will take the 3rd or 4th slot, but I could still get anywhere from 3 to 6

Nateyad and Corner currently hold the 5th and 6th slots, but both sit at 10-8 with Ray right behind them at 9-9. None are eliminated yet, but none have clinched. 2 of the 3 will make the playoffs, but one will be knocked out on the last day of the year before the playoffs. Nateyad and Corner both have the lucky of controlling their own destiny- win this week, and they're in. If either of them lose, though, and Ray comes away with a win this week, then it'll go to tiebreakers

Seanbros, Viking, Fire, Poonchka, and Diem have all officially eliminated

Should be an exciting round of matchups to finish the regular season!

Reminder that all playoff matches are 2 weeks long. Again, I messed up putting the trade deadline this late, but the deadline is this Saturday. If anyone wants to make any deals before then, let me know!
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #422
Cornerstore

Send a message via AIM to Cornerstore

Hopefully I pull off the W this week and if so should be set up for success going forward with bum come playoff time. Will see.