Blowout Cards Forums
big game 2018

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GAMING

Notices

GAMING Post Your Gaming Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
swowannabe

Default MtG: UN-Stable

Anyone else attend this weekend's draft bonanza?

My buddy and I did two drafts at the LGS. Nothing truly epic happened to either of us, and there were a couple of laughs. I'm really glad a lot of people had a ton of fun. Had a bit of a cloud looming over my head with some anxiety issues which I think prevented some of the fun.

On the plus side, my wife pulled a foil Plains from one of the three prize packs I brought her. People have been pointing out they're essentially Expedition-level rarity, which is probably correct. I have no interest in collecting them, and I've already sold it on FeeBay.

I know the LGS is drafting again tonight and we've already opted to not go. I think they're probably planning on drafting it until RIX comes out, so I'll probably have to do another one to get my 6th draft for the End of Year Draft Promotion to get my 2 Standard Showdown Packs.

A few critiques of the set:

1) Removal is scarce.

2) Entirely Normal Armchair is freaking awesome. More than once I'd sneak it onto the battlefield as I was casting the 2/2 guy that you sac an artifact to give him +2/+2 and assemble a contraption. My opponents all thought it was actually quite a good move, which made me happy.

3) Variance is, quite plainly put, stupidly variant. GO TO JAIL is either amazing or terrible. Mostly it was terrible for me and amazing against me. Can I have some pepper to go with my salt please?

4) Contraption decks are OP. Had a dude beat me with 2x Goblin Riggers he got out on turns 1 and 2 (he had 6 in his deck I think?) and assembled a few other contraptions with like Work a Double, and just crushed the crap out of me. Not enough artifact destruction.

5) It was alright. Like I said, I'm glad a lot of people had so much fun, I'm just a little sad the set isn't really for me.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
mcguirem13

I drafted the set twice and had a blast! I pulled Urza in my second draft and actually got to play him which was awesome.
Sorry to hear that you weren't able to enjoy the set as much you would have liked. I agree that the removal is very scarce.
Old 12-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
longisland

I drafted it several times and had an okay experience.

One suggestion to those following: if your store distributes MTG packs as prize support, take Unstable packs.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
swowannabe

@longisland, why do you recommend that? Hope to hit a foil full art land? The packs themselves have almost 0 value outside of that, except maybe the buck or two for the basic land and/or token?

Just wondering your thoughts on this! :-)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:23 AM   #5
longisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by swowannabe View Post
@longisland, why do you recommend that? Hope to hit a foil full art land? The packs themselves have almost 0 value outside of that, except maybe the buck or two for the basic land and/or token?

Just wondering your thoughts on this! :-)
Every pack is guaranteed to make a couple bucks back for the land.

I took eight packs of Kaladesh after winning a small FNM a couple weeks ago and my best card was a Harnessed Lightning.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
swowannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by longisland View Post
Every pack is guaranteed to make a couple bucks back for the land.

I took eight packs of Kaladesh after winning a small FNM a couple weeks ago and my best card was a Harnessed Lightning.
I don't keep up with the secondary market so much. I know the lands are "sought after" but I wasn't sure if they went the way of normal full arts and are worth like a quarter or two. If you can consistently sell them for $1-$3 apiece depending on the land, then that's really not that bad. Kind of removes the gambling aspect, sans the foil land.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #7
longisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by swowannabe View Post
I don't keep up with the secondary market so much. I know the lands are "sought after" but I wasn't sure if they went the way of normal full arts and are worth like a quarter or two. If you can consistently sell them for $1-$3 apiece depending on the land, then that's really not that bad. Kind of removes the gambling aspect, sans the foil land.
I was underwhelmed by the foil full arts until I saw an Island this past week. It is gorgeous!