Blowout Cards Forums
blowout specials

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GRADING

Notices

GRADING For all grading talk - PSA, BGS, SGC, etc

Old 10-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
The Chad

Default BVG to PSA Crossover?

Has anyone done multiple BVG to PSA crossover subs? Have you for the most part been getting the same grade? I see a card that I know I can flip if I get it into a PSA holder, but I have not done a BVG to PSA crossover before. Looking to see what others have experienced before dropping the cash. I am pretty familiar with PSA grading standards on vintage cards, but BVG not so much.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
mjohnatgt

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...ight=crossover

I have a couple more at PSA now. Both were BGS 4.5s. I also cracked a couple from SGC and like 5 from SCD. All are from the 1952 Topps baseball set, as I'm working on the registry.
mjohnatgt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
The Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showth...ight=crossover

I have a couple more at PSA now. Both were BGS 4.5s. I also cracked a couple from SGC and like 5 from SCD. All are from the 1952 Topps baseball set, as I'm working on the registry.
Thanks, so I should maybe buy the BVG 5 and submit to PSA because it may come back a PSA 6

However maybe I shouldnt as it could come back a PSA 3?

I get peoples frustrations with grading sometimes, lol
Old 10-31-2017, 11:28 PM   #4
mjohnatgt

Grading is subjective. PSA grades things slightly different from Beckett which is slightly different from SGC. Some people hate qualifiers, some don't. There are certain cards where BGS/BVG grade them even though they weren't cut by the printing presses/cutters and are instead hand cut from uncut sheets. PSA is good at rejecting those (like the 1979 Gretzky RC). All depends on your risk tolerance. My guess is that if it's a valuable card in a BVG 6 case, it was tried at PSA already.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
MJGOAT23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnatgt View Post
Grading is subjective. PSA grades things slightly different from Beckett which is slightly different from SGC. Some people hate qualifiers, some don't. There are certain cards where BGS/BVG grade them even though they weren't cut by the printing presses/cutters and are instead hand cut from uncut sheets. PSA is good at rejecting those (like the 1979 Gretzky RC). All depends on your risk tolerance. My guess is that if it's a valuable card in a BVG 6 case, it was tried at PSA already.
i totally agree with this. FWIW i find cards from the 80's that are nice PSA 8's tend to become high BGS 8.5's or 9's...so doing that math...i wouldn't expect the BVG to be the same grade at PSA.

on older stuff...I've only tried once or twice crossing an SGC or PSA to BVG and have received the exact grade PSA and SGC had given the cards.

I think a really sharp BVG/BGS could equate to the same grade at PSA if the centering isnt optimal because PSA has a bit more tolerance on centering, if that makes any sense because if it isnt super sharp, but has good centering, PSA is still going to downgrade it for its more fuzzy corners/edges.

examples..70/30 centered BVG 7 with sharp corners and edges might also be a PSA7. 60/40 centered BVG 7 with a bit fuzzier corners might only be a PSA 5 or 6. Just my opinion..
MJGOAT23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
The Chad

Thanks for the input, my experience is mainly with PSA vintage in terms of grading, I own a BVG card or two but 99% of my vintage collection is PSA. Might take a stab at the card If I can get it at a good price and still submit it I have a few other cards I have to submit for crossover as it is. Thanks all!
Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
northwellguy

Every time I crack PSA's and send to Beckett - almost 100% of the time they are graded slightly lower.

e.g. Tom Mison auto - PSA grade 9, same card Beckett grade 8
Old 11-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
4sportcardguy

I posted this reply in an old topic but This really doesn't show definitively to me which company is better unless this newbie is missing something. Sometimes a bump sometimes a loss it seems. The market is pro psa and scg vintage and seemingly pro bgs modern but cases can be made for anything from this. It's all personal preference and subjective grading/gambling to me when either you try to cross crack/grade or resubmit from what I can see
4sportcardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
mjohnatgt

Yes, it can be random and based on market values.
It's also very much about the PSA Set registry for vintage cards and player collectors.

I prefer to keep everything I grade in PSA in order to work on my registry sets.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
The Chad

Update - I ended up buying the card and will send it to PSA to see if I can at least get the same grade.

I will post more details once the card is in hand as its not indicated as shipped yet, but I am very happy with the price of the card I got and to boot got 8% ebay bucks back on it. I plan on sending this to PSA for a crossover.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
VIII

I have tried 6 times trying to crossover BGS 9.5 into PSA 10 and I struck out on all (0/6). They were in BGS slabs. I even tried one on a $150 submission (1 week lead time+insurance+shipping) and same shxt. I know there were dealer at this year's Nationals who tried submitting in slabs and went 0/40. So, If any of you are trying to crossover in slabs you will need freaking luck to even get a few to successfully cross.
VIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
ih8ca

If you are confident in the card crack it out. You will have better results. Crossover are usually just a donation to Psa.
ih8ca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
ThoseBackPages

which card is it?

PSA
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:56 PM   #14
mjohnatgt

Got my notification that grades were ready on my November bulk special. Here's what I ended up with:
AUTHENTIC ALTERED1952 Topps 69 Virgil Stallcup Black Back *was BVG 4.5*
Will have to check it for trimming when it comes back.

EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1952 Topps 18 Merrill Combs Black Back *was SCD 5*
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1952 Topps 27 Sam Jethroe Black Back *was SCD 6*
EXCELLENT+ 5.5 1952 Topps 51 Jim Russell Black Back *was SCD 5.5*
NEAR MINT+ 7.5 1952 Topps 98 Bill Pierce *was SCD 6.5*
EXCELLENT 5 1952 Topps 249 Bobby Adams *was SCD 6*
These performed pretty well.

VERY GOOD 3 1952 Topps 195 Orestes Minoso *was SGC 40 aka VG 3*