Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first*

Notices

Welcome New Members! *Read here first* Introduce yourself and read our General Rules

Old 12-24-2022, 03:47 AM   #1
SevenRings

Default Is BlowoutCards (Forums) still the best site to trade?

Apologies if this is too on topic, couldn't decide where to post this question so I'm electing here and the noob forum.

What's up everyone, I created this account awhile back knowing I would start collecting again come 2023. My dad also collects and we got one of my best friends into the game too.

Due to how much the card market has changed in the 7-8 years I've been out of it, here's a quick backstory. My dad and I started collecting in 2011. We opened tons of 2010, 2011 and 2012 but I eventually stuck to singles and trading because buying packs and boxes, well everyone knows it's not exactly smart money, but damn is it fun and my dad is still hooked. So much regret looking back! If only we opened more 2009. I remember fishing for Staffords and Jeremy Lin at some point, but good lord we could've bought so much 09 Chrome and 09 basketball, but we stuck to 2010-2012. Geno Smith and EJ Manuel kinda ruined football cards for me, and basketball wasn't worth #@#@#@#@ back then, even though they had the coolest looking cards of any sport, they still do. Never was a huge baseball guy outside of 2011 bowman chrome, so I slowly fell out of the game. My dad is a true collector and does it for the actual hobby. Once I left for college, I decided to sell my cards which I built up overtime to a pretty awesome collection. I was never into rookie autos (like I should have been,) more so veteran autos like Brady and Rodgers. Had some sweet Cam Newton and Andrew Lucks though! My dad continues to this day. He actually pulled a 1/1 shield auto of Mahomes in Phoenix (with Trubisky ) in 2017 and that (now) has topped any card I had.

I can't believe rookies finally shot up! NBA value might be more than football now and I cannot believe how bleak the football selection is at card shops; Mahomes/Lamar/Josh Allen broke football! I am so glad RC went up but sheesh, I lost out on some big value, especially Topps Update Trout RCs. Had at least 10 because that was the #@#@#@#@ I was willing to pay for in terms of packs and boxes. Who would've guessed regular Topps sells for what it does now, and Bowman prices are absolutely disgusting!

I was on this forum before (can't remember my username for the life of me,) YouTube and SCF. Blowout was hands down the most active trading site and the feedback system here works great. My dad never joined trading sites, he only buys boxes from our local shops and singles from ebay, so he is of no help to me on my blowout/trading questions..

My question(s) is, how similar are things compared to how they were 10 years ago?

Contenders still rules football, right? Of course NT, but if we are talking basic rookie autos, contenders is the OG in my mind.
Has Contenders surpassed Prizm yet for basketball?

- How active are people with trading?
- Is it mostly selling at this point?
- Is PayPal direct still the method most use with buying cards?
- How much of an impact does eBay taxes play into selling, if any? (Can't believe that BS!)
- Is photo bucket still a thing?
- Do PSA 10s sell for more than Beckett 9.5s now?
- Are there other forums with good activity? I got scammed pretty bad towards the end of my YouTube career and I was a "respected" member there, if one exists, but it's too risky, and too many kids. SCF was always dead. Can't think of any others..

I loved this site and everything looks pretty similar. I have only floated around the NBA/NFL forum and the NFL looks like a graveyard. That really concerns me! Since the card market has shot up, I really hope trading is still a big thing.

Thanks for reading everyone, don't feel obligated to answer all (or any) of my questions, I can figure it out if need be! That said, any guidance would be much appreciated!

Last edited by SevenRings; 12-24-2022 at 04:22 AM.
SevenRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
BeardedVol

Not much for trading at least not from what I have seen - I miss the weekend card shows from the 80s and 90s
BeardedVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
BlowoutBuzz

Check out this section of the forum ...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
BlowoutBuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 01:17 AM   #4
SevenRings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowoutBuzz View Post
Check out this section of the forum ...

https://www.blowoutforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Haha thanks. I know that much. Was asking more about how active the trade/sell/buy is now. Used to be insanely active in the early 2010s
Old 01-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #5
RustyDawg37

Most of what I do is low-mid end, so take that into account.

Once the card economy started dropping, I immediately stopped getting responses to my BST thread here. Used to get at least one trade or sale out of each time I bumped it, then nothing for months, despite adding hundreds of cards to my sale/trade list each time I bumped it. I also work way too much during the holidays so all that combined means I haven't actually tried to transact for at least 2 months anywhere. If any other place is more popular, I could not tell you, but I personally think most people have moved to buying/selling instead of trading. Over the 15 or so years I have been trading online there has always been one site that was very active and others with varying levels of activity, which is funny because I have traded with several people on multiple sites. This is not even the best forum IMO, but I came here when the last place that was active, for me anyway, died out. If anywhere is more active, its probably instagram or facebook ( I do not actually use facebook, but I used to).

Cash is king, always. Anything else is up to you. If you feel like dealing with Paypal, take paypal (you can only do paypal on this site). I take whatever a buyer wants in other places.

You have to pay taxes whether you sell on ebay or not, so this isnt really a viable question.

DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET. Its basically its own scam at this point in time. My albums are empty and they still send me emails all the time telling me i need to pay or I will lose my photos. They are their own phishing scam now for some reason.

There's several alternatives out there including just making your own website.

PSA 10s do outsell BGS 9.5s. There are various explanations for this, but none that actually make any sense if you think about it for about 30 seconds. They are both still gem mint, they both do and do not crossover to each other. They both screw up a lot. They both misgrade a lot. So there you go. If you are selling, grade with PSA. If not, grade with who you want. CSG and SGC have made great strides in the marketplace lately as well.
RustyDawg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:23 AM   #6
SevenRings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDawg37 View Post
Most of what I do is low-mid end, so take that into account.

Once the card economy started dropping, I immediately stopped getting responses to my BST thread here. Used to get at least one trade or sale out of each time I bumped it, then nothing for months, despite adding hundreds of cards to my sale/trade list each time I bumped it. I also work way too much during the holidays so all that combined means I haven't actually tried to transact for at least 2 months anywhere. If any other place is more popular, I could not tell you, but I personally think most people have moved to buying/selling instead of trading. Over the 15 or so years I have been trading online there has always been one site that was very active and others with varying levels of activity, which is funny because I have traded with several people on multiple sites. This is not even the best forum IMO, but I came here when the last place that was active, for me anyway, died out. If anywhere is more active, its probably instagram or facebook ( I do not actually use facebook, but I used to).

Cash is king, always. Anything else is up to you. If you feel like dealing with Paypal, take paypal (you can only do paypal on this site). I take whatever a buyer wants in other places.

You have to pay taxes whether you sell on ebay or not, so this isnt really a viable question.

DO NOT USE PHOTOBUCKET. Its basically its own scam at this point in time. My albums are empty and they still send me emails all the time telling me i need to pay or I will lose my photos. They are their own phishing scam now for some reason.

There's several alternatives out there including just making your own website.

PSA 10s do outsell BGS 9.5s. There are various explanations for this, but none that actually make any sense if you think about it for about 30 seconds. They are both still gem mint, they both do and do not crossover to each other. They both screw up a lot. They both misgrade a lot. So there you go. If you are selling, grade with PSA. If not, grade with who you want. CSG and SGC have made great strides in the marketplace lately as well.
Great stuff, thanks man!