Wave 8

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Notices

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Old 06-22-2018, 01:31 AM   #1
mikeyz84
Banned

Default The many accounts of mikeyz84

Anyone else order, or place a similar order like this online before--->to end up getting screwed by Topps?:

A couple months ago, Topps-like usual-promised that for $399, you'd get a bundle that includes either a Mike Trout or Ohtani autograph. So, a few days ago I get a package from Topps-with a Justin Upton autograph?? And the receipt sure looks like it was for this exact purchase. Also, in the corner-something about returns...almost as if they expect it.

So, to verify it was indeed for this promotion, I've gotta assume they attempted to pull this garbage on others, too. Please tell me it's just a redemption replacement or something. Because if they're actually promising cards they don't have yet, only to have them replaced by neither--there are gonna be some P.O.'ed peeps.

Curious as to what anyone else did if this is the case. Unbelievable...

Last edited by houdini; 06-26-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: edit title
mikeyz84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 AM   #2
caflisch78

Old 06-22-2018, 01:44 AM   #3
brentandbecca

you are speaking of the TOPPS NOW Road to Opening Day Spring Training sets, correct?

if so, if you buy a set you were not guaranteed either of those
the writing said if you by TWO sets, you are guaranteed that ONE set will have either one of those

EXACT WORDING FROM TOPPS SITE

Purchase 2 Sets of the Angels Road To Opening Day Team Set - Autograph Edition and you are guaranteed to receive 1 Autographed Card of either Mike Trout or Shohei Ohtani.

OR

Purchase 4 Sets of the Angels Road To Opening Day Team Set - Autograph Edition and you are guaranteed to receive 1 Autographed Card of each Autograph subject.
My ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/brentandbecca?_rdc=1
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:46 AM   #4
brentandbecca

There are 2 other possible autos, the Upton you received and Troy Scribner

sounds like you may have misread it and that is unfortunate as that was 1 costly set
My ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/brentandbecca?_rdc=1
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
D-Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
you are speaking of the TOPPS NOW Road to Opening Day Spring Training sets, correct?

the writing said if you by TWO sets, you are guaranteed that ONE set will have either one of those

Purchase 2 Sets of the Angels Road To Opening Day Team Set - Autograph Edition and you are guaranteed to receive 1 Autographed Card of either Mike Trout or Shohei Ohtani.

OR

Purchase 4 Sets of the Angels Road To Opening Day Team Set - Autograph Edition and you are guaranteed to receive 1 Autographed Card of each Autograph subject.
Yep, needed to purchase 2 as was stated in the original text Brent posted. The only reason I bought Angels RTOD.
D-Lite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:58 AM   #6
Bcwcardz

I ordered 2 of the Angels sets and got a Trout as promised. There was no way I would have purchased without the coupon and guarantee. I never would have ordered just 1 because I know I would probably get a Scribner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bcwcardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #7
hohlernr

Epic fail by OP.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 AM   #8
Platman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post

OR

That is the gospel. Just backing up what they said. At least you got the one with a full legible signature!
Platman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
justbasecards

I bought four sets and got a /25 Ohtani and /49 Trout along with a /5 Scribner and /1 Upton. Given that the OP bought one set, even if they got Trout or Ohtani, chances are the card would be a /99 or lower. Today's Trout auto /99 is $300.

Hopefully, they did use the 25% off coupon code at least. I spent $1,200 on the four sets and basically treated it like I was paying $1,000 combined for a Trout auto and an Ohtani auto. The other $200 would cover the base sets (4 x $50)

Today's Trout /49 auto was priced at $400. That would mean my /25 Ohtani would be $600. Before he got hurt, his Topps Now /49 autos were $550. The /5 and /1 autos I got for the other players were a nice bonus, but I was hoping for a little better for Trout and Ohtani.

With sets like RTOD, Post Season, and On Demand, they seem to favor people who buy in quantity. Just look at what Blowout has on sale from their On Demand sets on eBay.
justbasecards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #10
SoftMuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbasecards View Post
I bought four sets and got a /25 Ohtani and /49 Trout along with a /5 Scribner and /1 Upton. Given that the OP bought one set, even if they got Trout or Ohtani, chances are the card would be a /99 or lower. Today's Trout auto /99 is $300.

Hopefully, they did use the 25% off coupon code at least. I spent $1,200 on the four sets and basically treated it like I was paying $1,000 combined for a Trout auto and an Ohtani auto. The other $200 would cover the base sets (4 x $50)

Today's Trout /49 auto was priced at $400. That would mean my /25 Ohtani would be $600. Before he got hurt, his Topps Now /49 autos were $550. The /5 and /1 autos I got for the other players were a nice bonus, but I was hoping for a little better for Trout and Ohtani.

With sets like RTOD, Post Season, and On Demand, they seem to favor people who buy in quantity. Just look at what Blowout has on sale from their On Demand sets on eBay.
Yeah I would've hoped for a /10 of Trout or Ohtani. You gotta be pretty happy though that your 1/1 was of Upton and not Scribner. A /49 RTOD auto of the latter sold for less than $30 yesterday on the bay. Yikes.

Last edited by SoftMuscle; 06-22-2018 at 05:26 PM.
SoftMuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
mikeyz84
Banned

Hmm. Like there's any chance a person who buys only 1 actually gets one of their Trout or Ohtani sigs. I did pay $399 for it, and knowing Topps' shadiness at times-I would've read it verrry carefully! If I remember right, the $399 was for the two sets-has to be. The Upton was a silver/49-so the only thing I can assume here is that the Trouts and Ohtani's haven't yet been all fulfilled and will be coming when or IF that day comes.

I did see they just came out with an advertisements for more Trout auto's so must be promising more before they can fulfill even past customer's back orders. (Rolling eyes...)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #12
mikeyz84
Banned

Nope-was an epic fail indeed. Went back, and saw what I did. Nowhere was there any indication of autographs by Upton and Scribner UNTIL you click "read more." Gee, wonder why they cut it off there? Either way-it gives an address for returns, and am just sending the stupid thing back. I'm a pretty high Loyalty Member (whatever the 2nd Tier is-black or something?)-and will just tell them I'm done with their crap. This takes the cake. Already selling all my fake aka "digital" cards, after their greed on the Bunt, Huddle, and Skate Apps has gotten out of control-BIG time...

So, they may only lose one fairly valuable customer here (online and digital-will still buy physical until people start realizing the value of Leaf's products). But hope people will eventually just get tired of their shenanigans like I have, and bolt in masses....

Thanks, guys for the head's up on what happened! Would've never caught what happened there otherwise!
Old 06-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #13
Super32

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyz84 View Post
Nope-was an epic fail indeed. Went back, and saw what I did. Nowhere was there any indication of autographs by Upton and Scribner UNTIL you click "read more." Gee, wonder why they cut it off there? Either way-it gives an address for returns, and am just sending the stupid thing back. I'm a pretty high Loyalty Member (whatever the 2nd Tier is-black or something?)-and will just tell them I'm done with their crap. This takes the cake. Already selling all my fake aka "digital" cards, after their greed on the Bunt, Huddle, and Skate Apps has gotten out of control-BIG time...

So, they may only lose one fairly valuable customer here (online and digital-will still buy physical until people start realizing the value of Leaf's products). But hope people will eventually just get tired of their shenanigans like I have, and bolt in masses....

Thanks, guys for the head's up on what happened! Would've never caught what happened there otherwise!
Super32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
Disneynorth

Why would you not read the full description???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disneynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:47 PM   #15
joejoemay

Not going to pile on the OP, but all sales are final. I do wish you would have come here first and read up on it...you would have been warned. I avoided the Halos autographed sets, and glad I did now. Still sorry to hear someone turned off of this great product because of their own lack of understanding. I do agree with the above poster who stated the chances of a guy buying one Angels set getting the better autographs was way less the 50%. But I do think we all (well most of us who read the add) realized this.
http://toppsnowtoday.com/
joejoemay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #16
glen87

Quote:

so you are mad at topps because you did not read the full description prior to spending $399???

and now you are returning it because (again) YOU did not read what you were buying?????
Old 06-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #17
RaysUp

Why y'all hating on Scribner? He's 2-2 this year with Reno.
RaysUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #18
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaysUp View Post
Why y'all hating on Scribner? He's 2-2 this year with Reno.
Just picked one up at auction on the cheap! Iím thinking this kid is going places!
http://toppsnowtoday.com/
joejoemay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 PM   #19
tribefan26

Quote:

You are likely one of few who didn't understand this. I thought it was very clear - and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I don't know how they could make it any clearer.

Last edited by tribefan26; 06-22-2018 at 11:48 PM.
tribefan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 PM   #20
jdandns

"Hysteria" was pretty good, but I liked "Pyromania" better.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
HadWayTooMuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandns View Post
"Hysteria" was pretty good, but I liked "Pyromania" better.
"Now" off of "X" is a great tune!
Old 06-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #22
kpete42

Oh man...come on OP. This type of crap is why Topps gives us honest folk the run around sometimes on trying to return damaged items. Too many people try to take advantage of them for things that aren’t their fault.
kpete42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:07 PM   #23
mikeyz84
Banned

No, I am mad at Topps for being shady in their advertising. They do this all the time. Honestly, for $399-I was expecting 2 autographs just like last year when for the same price you were promised 2 of 4 All-Star autos-and I got Judge and Trout (so at least I came ahead after I graded and sold those). So, the $ wasn't the thing I'm maddest about. If the gap between Trout and Ohtani is that wide (Upton and Scriber)----you need to be UP FRONT about it, or you lose customers in the end because of the shady sales tactics you used. It was a tactic used many times before, you know....so it was bound to happen that I overlooked that. And sure some others did as well. $399 for an Upton auto lol. I thought it was pricey for even an Ohtani or Trout.

Just didn't think they'd risk losing valuable business by not being up front, and not use full disclosure in the last paragraphs after clicking on the next page. Same as dishonesty in my book.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #24
emuhisnfog
Banned

I search here often when i have questions but rarely post, because of some of the answers. i've been doing business with Topps since the late 70's. Have since retired, but my son runs the Hobby Shop I started in town and he said he has customers that have stopped doing business with Topps altogether. This appears to be a tactic to bait even the most seasoned collectors. I went to their original page for this, and see exactly what you are talking about. I think they took advantage of your trust and it's easy to overlook details that are cleverly hidden. They set themselves up for this issue to arise with this kind of advertising, and I'm sure the online marketing department were very well expecting some dissatisfied customers at the expense of making easy $ off of intended victims. No more morally okay than if I were to search my packs before selling them. Each outcome has a customer that you expect to be disappointed with the results. And Topps knows that several Upton autographs + several of the sets doesn't come close to a $400 value. Hopefully they make it right for you and others, or their customer base will finally reach a breaking point. Baseball License or not, you don't take loyalty for granted. It was much easier when there was Fleer and Donruss (and later Upper Deck and Score) to keep each other in check.
emuhisnfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM   #25
palmetto7

I guess they should say...400 bucks for a set with trout or ohtani auto...50 for whomever else....

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
palmetto7 is online now   Reply With Quote