AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 03-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
hitman1116

Default Marlins Owner hits a new low

Y! SPORTS

Owner wants to sue for people not paying for their season tickets. Fans sent letters telling them about the new obstruction in their way.

People pay 25k for Marlins tickets?
hitman1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
tjforce

"They've pooped on fans' feelings for years," Jan Leon says. "These seats are not what we paid for."

What a great quote.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Srt42004n
Banned

Best part is the City needs to sue the owner for getting the new stadium and then dumping his roster.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
mcdo0423

They are saying they aren't paying for the tix due to the obstruction but are really doing it because they don't want to see the crap the Marlins are fielding. That isn't much of an obstruction. I may be in the minority but I think they need to pay up. They agreed to 2 years and are looking for any loophole they can.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Thommy

This is not a new low for him.
On groundsupport's 3 person Mount Rushmore
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Srt42004n
Banned

The way I see it... they still have a decent young team who will prob make a little noise in the late summer before fading so Id pay just to see Giancarlo and hopefully by then Yelich...
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Ziveus101

People still pay to see Marlins games?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Thommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
People still pay to see Marlins games?
They call the ones who do, The Big Four

On groundsupport's 3 person Mount Rushmore
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
ClevelandIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdo0423 View Post
They are saying they aren't paying for the tix due to the obstruction but are really doing it because they don't want to see the crap the Marlins are fielding. That isn't much of an obstruction. I may be in the minority but I think they need to pay up. They agreed to 2 years and are looking for any loophole they can.
I agree with you. While I would be upset if it was me. I would also understand I "signed" a contract and bite the bullet.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
lobo_hacker

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
They are saying they aren't paying for the tix due to the obstruction but are really doing it because they don't want to see the crap the Marlins are fielding...
-This seems the more likely explanation.

lobo_hacker, who, as a long-time Chiefs season-ticket holder, understands the pain of a bad product
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
XL5

Quote:
When you pay for aspirational seats like that, you don't expect them to plop a billboard in front of you mid-season. It's absurd that they couldn't have made it 5 inches shorter.

It's not like they just decided they didn't like the team this year. They were asking for it to be fixed as soon as it was put up.

Quote:
Jan and Bill Leon told the Miami New Times (them again?!) that they paid $25,000 for two seats along the third-base line for the inaugural season at Marlins Park in 2012, but the team put up a billboard at midseason that blocked part of their view and put them in greater danger regarding foul balls. Requests made by phone and letter asking the team to move their seats to a new location, or to have the billboard shortened (go digital!), went unanswered, the Leons said. When the season ended, the Leons informed the Marlins they would not be returning for another year (their agreement was for two seasons) unless their complaints were addressed. And they wouldn't be paying unless the Marlins did.
So fix the billboard or move their seats and they'll pay. Simple. It has nothing to do with them not wanting to pay. They just don't want to pay for those blocked seats.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
lobo_hacker

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
So fix the billboard or move their seats and they'll pay. Simple. It has nothing to do with them not wanting to pay. They just don't want to pay for those blocked seats.
-If the story is to be believed, then no, no they will not:

""This afternoon, after the New Times' initial report was published, the Marlins responded with a statement, in part saying:

"We have offered Ms. Leon numerous opportunities to move to a different seat location, and each time she has refused to move."
"

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-If the story is to be believed, then no, no they will not:

""This afternoon, after the New Times' initial report was published, the Marlins responded with a statement, in part saying:

"We have offered Ms. Leon numerous opportunities to move to a different seat location, and each time she has refused to move."
"

lobo_hacker
It seems someone is not telling the truth or the whole truth. Of course it's Loria vs. a pair of real estate flippers and flim-flam speakers. Best case their egos force a fight in court and they end up giving a ton of money on poor lawyers and poor PR people.

The Marlins have a lot more to lose in the PR battle however.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
Andrew Jones

Is Miami Actually Concerned?
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #15
CubsFanInTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandIC View Post
I agree with you. While I would be upset if it was me. I would also understand I "signed" a contract and bite the bullet.
This all depends on the wording of the contract. However, I would think that it would be a breach of contract to sell someone a view, which is essentially what you are doing when you sell a seat to a sporting event, and then later on obstruct that view.

And I don't have a problem with her not wanting to move. I wouldn't either on principal, its just bad business practice on the Marlins part.
CubsFanInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
Zoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt42004n View Post
Best part is the City needs to sue the owner for getting the new stadium and then dumping his roster.
Yup. Worst guy in all of sports.
Zoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
NewAgeHardcore

It doesn't obstruct your view at all. They just don't want to pay $25K for another season.
NewAgeHardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
BoxBreaker72

He may be a worse owner than William Clay Ford sr.

THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
Triple B

Good for them. I'd sue as a season ticket holder for my tax money back. What a joke the Marlins have become. On the other hand...Go Jays Go!
Triple B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
archiebunkerjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxBreaker72 View Post
He may be a worse owner than William Clay Ford sr.

THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING
The Marlins have won 2 World Series in 20 years as a franchise. The William Clay Ford Lions have won 1 playoff game in 57 years. There is no comparison.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
GOWIFB

Quote:
It may be true at this point that they don't want to pay because of the team dumping everyone and putting a lame product on the field. However it sounds like they did voice their concerns early on about it. Also, so what if they are looking for a loophole? The view could be considered one of numerous reasons why they may want to breach their contract. As someone else said, when you purchase a seat at a stadium you are buying the view that it provides. If they change that view, that person should not be forced to continue to pay for the seats. I know you think it isnt much of an obstruction, but how can one really determine that? What is the limit of how high they have to raise the railing before you consider it an obstruction? 12 inches? 18 inches? I mean you really cant come up with an arbitrary number that says what is truly an obstruction. Different people would have a different interpretation. That is why I think they should be able to pull out of their agreement.

In regards to the person that wrote the letter, I dont necessarily blame him for anything. I know to alot of people he looks like the bad guy. But more than likely, all that is going on is he is notified by his people in billing that someone hasnt paid for their next season of seats and so he sends out a letter requesting payment. He may not have known anything about the concerns that the customers had in regards to the seats when he sent that letter. I think the situation though just speaks poorly of the whole Loria run operation. Really doesnt surprise me if he runs a business where there is no communication and which has poor customer service.

My photobucket: http://s451.photobucket.com/albums/qq239/GOWIFB/

Last edited by GOWIFB; 03-20-2013 at 01:00 PM.
GOWIFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #22
BoxBreaker72

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiebunkerjr View Post
The Marlins have won 2 World Series in 20 years as a franchise. The William Clay Ford Lions have won 1 playoff game in 57 years. There is no comparison.
I'm talking about how he's viewed around the game and by his own fan base. Sure, he's loaded up for a couple championships, but he's never had a consistent winner either. I found this interesting also..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2777677.html

So, I wouldn't say it was a crazy comparison.. WCF wasn't even on that list.
BoxBreaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #23
mcdo0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWIFB View Post
It may be true at this point that they don't want to pay because of the team dumping everyone and putting a lame product on the field. However it sounds like they did voice their concerns early on about it. Also, so what if they are looking for a loophole? The view could be considered one of numerous reasons why they may want to breach their contract. As someone else said, when you purchase a seat at a stadium you are buying the view that it provides. If they change that view, that person should not be forced to continue to pay for the seats. I know you think it isnt much of an obstruction, but how can one really determine that? What is the limit of how high they have to raise the railing before you consider it an obstruction? 12 inches? 18 inches? I mean you really cant come up with an arbitrary number that says what is truly an obstruction. Different people would have a different interpretation. That is why I think they should be able to pull out of their agreement.

In regards to the person that wrote the letter, I dont necessarily blame him for anything. I know to alot of people he looks like the bad guy. But more than likely, all that is going on is he is notified by his people in billing that someone hasnt paid for their next season of seats and so he sends out a letter requesting payment. He may not have known anything about the concerns that the customers had in regards to the seats when he sent that letter. I think the situation though just speaks poorly of the whole Loria run operation. Really doesnt surprise me if he runs a business where there is no communication and which has poor customer service.
You are right, we don't know how much of an obstruction it is unless we were actually in those seats but from the pic it doesn't look like enough. If the billboard obstructed more than just some grass outside of the baseline and actually obstructed viewing the game, I would agree with the seat holder. If it just obstructed a small area of grass that rarely sees baseball action, I would have to side with the Marlins.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
calculusdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Is Miami Actually Concerned?
I See What You Did There ...
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
yankee_pride
Banned

I've seen the before and after pics of the seating view and trust me when I say the fans are making a huge stink over nothing. They basically just don't want to pay for season tickets this year because the team is going to suck and are using it as an excuse to try and get out of the agreement.
yankee_pride is offline   Reply With Quote