Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
hairyangryfella

Default Help/advice sought regarding moving a player collection (Dwight Howard)

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on what to do with this lot.
I am in possession of my friend's impressive Dwight Howard collection. Obviously, Dwight's value has tanked in recent seasons, but with his mini-resurgence in Charlotte, we were thinking this might be the best time to try and get something back for them.
We just don't know how to go about it.

With me being in New Zealand, if we were to sell them individually on his account, postage would be extreme and deter many people. However, I doubt the PWCC or Probstein would be interested in many of the cards, plus I'm not sure how soon they could be sold, how much fees would eat into the already potentially small sales, or how payment would be settled being international. I've considered putting them in even(ish) lots on his ebay, but then many haven't sold for a long time and I'm wary of selling too low, or even if anybody would actually want to buy the lots.

Basically, I'm looking for help as to what we should do about these, and also what they might be worth - at least in regards to some of the Exquisites that don't show in ebay completed listings.

His UD Blacks:

W/Frazier is a 1/1, bottom left is with Bosh on back.

His Exquisites:

His better 'other/GU' stuff:

Top right (letter) is a 1/1

And what's left other than commons (top row are all 1/1s):

The PMGs look in decent shape too.

Let me know what you think!
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Doublexthebeast

That’s great collection. The 04-05 Exquisite /25 rc used to be a HUGE card.

I think that this collection is fine to be sold through Probstein but it might take several months for it all to be sold. I think I’d put it on FB as an entire collection for sale. You may get a bite on it.

Are there any other big Howard collectors that might want to buy it all?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
buckunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post
That’s great collection. The 04-05 Exquisite /25 rc used to be a HUGE card.

I think that this collection is fine to be sold through Probstein but it might take several months for it all to be sold. I think I’d put it on FB as an entire collection for sale. You may get a bite on it.

Are there any other big Howard collectors that might want to buy it all?
I was wondering the same thing, that last part, if there are other big Dwight collectors that would want a shot at a bulk of those. If you post on facebook or instagram or wherever as an entire lot, I'm almost positive some Dwight collector a set collector would ask to piece part of the lot out.

That is just a phenomenal collection, by the way. Quality and quantity to the nth. Hope you figure out something to do
Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Doublexthebeast

If there are any Howard/Grant Hill cards hit me up. They have a few together.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #5
hairyangryfella

Thanks for the posts. I wouldn't know the first thing about cards on Facebook though - where would I go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post
If there are any Howard/Grant Hill cards hit me up. They have a few together.
No Hills, sorry
Old 02-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #6
kenji003

This is an amazing collection. 1st option is to sell PC collector just like everyone above mentioned. FB and Instagram or some social media are good way to explore potential buyers. I believe if you have mentioned shipping fee during negotiation, buyer should be fine with it. If I were you I wouldn't rely on big account on eBay. I feel like these still could be sold with right price as long as you find right buyers. But you have to be patient to wait until they surface

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
need cards:iverson 1997-1998 fleer ultra platinum #258 /100, iverson 1998-1999 skybox/fleer autographics black, iverson 1998-1999 skybox premium star rubies #31 /50
kenji003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 PM   #7
Doublexthebeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Thanks for the posts. I wouldn't know the first thing about cards on Facebook though - where would I go?

No Hills, sorry
If you get on FB and send me(Michael Moler) a friend request I’ll hook you up in the good groups. It’s pretty simple after that and I can help you.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #8
mondogenerator

tbh i thought it was only me n you collecting here in NZ, HAF

although i do recall a rather impressive MJ collection in wellington back in the day.
mondogenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #9
pingbling23

Who's pc is that? If it's who I'm thinking of I sold them the green pmg. I hate to see such a sweet pc get turned loose.
pingbling23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:50 AM   #10
hairyangryfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
tbh i thought it was only me n you collecting here in NZ, HAF

although i do recall a rather impressive MJ collection in wellington back in the day.
Nah there are definitely a few. Knew a guy called Jonathan who was on here and in Auckland, there's Al (the KG jersey # collector) from maybe Otago, and there is another Adams buyer also from down there. Probably plenty more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
Who's pc is that? If it's who I'm thinking of I sold them the green pmg. I hate to see such a sweet pc get turned loose.
It's backinthemixer's. I've also got his Shawn Marion, Antoine Walker (all low-end) and Joe Smith collections........
He doesn't necessarily have to sell, just figured now could be a time to try, to salvage something out of what he spent on them all.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #11
pingbling23

Yeah that's who I traded it too. Wish I could remember what I got in return. Hate that he's moving that stuff but that's the nature of the hobby sometimes.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:14 AM   #12
hairyangryfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingbling23 View Post
Yeah that's who I traded it too. Wish I could remember what I got in return. Hate that he's moving that stuff but that's the nature of the hobby sometimes.
You're welcome to have it back, especially if you only parted with it to help his pc. Don't want anybody to regret anything.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:27 AM   #13
pingbling23

Quote:
You're welcome to have it back, especially if you only parted with it to help his pc. Don't want anybody to regret anything.
Im sure I got a Jordan or Lebron for my pc out of it, I have no attachment to the Howard so wouldn't be interested. I appreciate the offer though.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #14
RYBOWSKI97

Quote:
Nah there are definitely a few. Knew a guy called Jonathan who was on here and in Auckland, there's Al (the KG jersey # collector) from maybe Otago, and there is another Adams buyer also from down there. Probably plenty more too.

It's backinthemixer's. I've also got his Shawn Marion, Antoine Walker (all low-end) and Joe Smith collections........
He doesn't necessarily have to sell, just figured now could be a time to try, to salvage something out of what he spent on them all.
im looking for walkers
Old 02-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
TheTimeIsNow

I would personally wait to sell until Dwight gets inducted to the Hall of Fame. It may take a while, but I definitely think that's how you'll get the most out of the collection.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
Rareairx23

If you want to try the facebook route send me a friend request (kyle clark) i admin one of the groups on facebook and that is the way to go these days along with ebay
Rareairx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #17
k1w1

If you have a price in mind pm me with shipping to Aus for the lot
k1w1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 PM   #18
hairyangryfella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareairx23 View Post
If you want to try the facebook route send me a friend request (kyle clark) i admin one of the groups on facebook and that is the way to go these days along with ebay
Thanks, doublex above has helped me in that aspect and it's a little overwhelming tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1w1 View Post
If you have a price in mind pm me with shipping to Aus for the lot
That's the problem, no idea on current values. Would listen to any offer if you know what they're worth.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #19
mondogenerator

Quote:

are they on here? or ozct? or FB grp lurkers? we should at least make an nz mini grp so we can look out for each other's wants etc
mondogenerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #20
Hornet21

Use worthpoint. If you don’t have it then include the cost of it in your sale. Once broken down into a per card basis it would be minuscule.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:10 AM   #21
PrimeTimePlaya

Quote:

No Hills, sorry

Hey man I'm one of the admins of the biggest NZ card group on Facebook, DM me if you want some details on it. There's also a few Aussie groups as well

US address available
PrimeTimePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:07 AM   #22
Billyhoyle

there's a big Howard PC on Ozcardtrader.com.au - @kiwi_in_melb
Billyhoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
Stat Monsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeIsNow View Post
I would personally wait to sell until Dwight gets inducted to the Hall of Fame. It may take a while, but I definitely think that's how you'll get the most out of the collection.
I think this is good advice, as Dwight Howard should get into the HOF, especially if you look comparatively who's been let in, 'tho if they keep Tim Hardaway out, you never know about Dwight's prospects.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
kenji003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyhoyle View Post
there's a big Howard PC on Ozcardtrader.com.au - @kiwi_in_melb
I think this guy showing up at post #17

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
need cards:iverson 1997-1998 fleer ultra platinum #258 /100, iverson 1998-1999 skybox/fleer autographics black, iverson 1998-1999 skybox premium star rubies #31 /50
kenji003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
NeilCO

Seems like a perfect COMC situation to me. Lots almost never sell as well as singles on eBay, and sending them to COMC gives you a little flexibility. Send to COMC, list at the high end of what you think they're worth, and then run progressive 24-hour sales (e.g. start at 20% off for first day, 25% off second day, etc.) until they sell. Or, if you have an idea what a card is worth, list it right around that price. COMC also gives you the option of showing your cards on eBay and Amazon, which I like, but then they take a 20% cut if it sells there.

Or do. I'll be around.
NeilCO is offline   Reply With Quote