Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Topps Now

Notices

Topps Now Post your Topps Now Hobby Talk

Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 AM   #226
kpete42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbfan10 View Post
What did everyone decide to pick up yesterday?
Nothing for me. Would've maybe got a Vlad auto if there would've been one. Not a huge fan of any of the players in this year's class though. Going to go big next year if they have Mariano Rivera auto cards.
kpete42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #227
Disneynorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbfan10 View Post
What did everyone decide to pick up yesterday?

Chipper auto in both /99 and /49. 4 pack of base cards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Disneynorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #228
joejoemay

HOF Class of 2018 Cards OS-89 through 91
Topps really missed the ball by not anticipating Vladimir Guerrero and Trevor Hoffman being elected to the Hall of Fame. Us the fans suffer (well at least the Topps Now fans suffer) as we get a historic class elected with four players elected (Chipper Jones, Jim Thome the other two) …something that hasn’t happened since the first class of 1936. Add to that Jack Morris and Alan Trammel from the who were elected by the veteran’s committee and we have six total elected. I was ready for a crazy six autograph card (They did do a three autograph card for HoF elections so it could have happened), but instead we get only the four guys under contract with Topps. Topps Now is supposed to capture the moments that happen as they happen so by not anticipating and getting the rights for Guerrero and Hoffman Topps has really let us down. As the (self-anointed) premier collector and hoarder of Topps Now cards I expected better. Perhaps they did try and Vlad and Hoffman were holding out for more money (since Hall of Fame entry would give them some bargaining leverage) so the blame can’t be placed solely on Topps and Vlad and Hoffman have every right to get as much as they can after all they didn’t play in a era of huge money so I guess it’s back to Topps for not paying these guys their due…I mean we are willing to pay a premium for these Now cards (and do) so I think this should have been a done deal. MLB is the main line of Topps Now and carries the other (not so successful) lines so maybe hire someone who might have a little foresight into who might make the HoF.
As the biggest drum banger of the Topps Now line I might get some flack from Jeeves and the Freds for flaming them but as a customer I think criticism is important and some of the best feedback…it also might light a fire under Topps butt to get Madbum signed. It is my understanding he is off the MLB contract as his last Topps card was his Players Week card back in August and if he does something awesome (like throw a no hitter) and there is no Topps Now card of it…we’ll it could actually kill the entire line.
Since I am still ranting let’s look at the offerings of Topps Cards and signatures. One thing that I hope Topps drops is the offering of cards Serial Numbered with the only difference being the color. This is great for packs and if I pull a Purple Chipper Jones autograph I am stoked but when I spend a premium for an autograph even at the /99 level I don’t want ugly purple unless it’s on a Rockies of maybe a D’Back player’s card. Lets got to a random numbered autograph and a base price for all the autographs…it adds that aspect we love about pulling a SP from a pack. Look the Morris and Trammel /25 Purples are still up with only 3 hours to go! Actually, putting them in a wrapper between two base cards with a stick of gum might be cool as well.
Now to the base cards…all look awesome to me save the Thome. Topps knows how big of a Philly fan I am why not at least put the back photo of the great slugger in a Phillies uniform? Last years Pudge had him in a Marlins uniform, this would have been a nice touch but perhaps I am the only one who wanted to see that.
Back to the colors…it seem that who ever was buying up all the 1/1’s the last few years has backed off. The only one that went fast was the Thome and I think it went to a die hard Thome hoarder and for that I am glad. The Jones was up for quite a bit longer and I didn’t think the Trammell or Morris would ever go at the $800 price point. The Tigers in Blue is pretty nice and the Thome and Jones cards in Red or Blue are pretty sweet so I can see those going up in the future or at least holding value.
Guessing at print runs the Jones and Thome being first ballot guys should print very well (300ish) and will be available for quite some time from flippers in the $7 range (WARNING: Flipping for $5 a card will lose you money and you will just end up with a big credit card bill). Trammell and Morris as veteran committee elected Hall of Famers get little love so I expect a Low Print* on those cards (Below 226) and perhaps even a sub-200.

OS-89 1/24/2018 Chipper Jones HOF Selection Base Braves
OS-89 1/24/2018 Chipper Jones 1 HOF Selection Gold 1/1 Autograph Braves $1,000.00
OS-89 1/24/2018 Chipper Jones 10 HOF Selection Red /10 Autograph Braves $350.00
OS-89 1/24/2018 Chipper Jones 25 HOF Selection Purple /25 Autograph Braves $130.00
OS-89 1/24/2018 Chipper Jones 49 HOF Selection Blue /49 Autograph Braves $100.00
OS-89 1/24/2018 Chipper Jones 99 HOF Selection /99 Autograph Braves $75.00
OS-88 1/24/2018 Jim Thome HOF Selection Base Indians
OS-88 1/24/2018 Jim Thome 1 HOF Selection Gold 1/1 Autograph Indians $1,000.00
OS-88 1/24/2018 Jim Thome 10 HOF Selection Red /10 Autograph Indians $300.00
OS-88 1/24/2018 Jim Thome 25 HOF Selection Purple /25 Autograph Indians $120.00
OS-88 1/24/2018 Jim Thome 49 HOF Selection Blue /49 Autograph Indians $90.00
OS-88 1/24/2018 Jim Thome 99 HOF Selection /99 Autograph Indians $75.00
OS-90 1/24/2018 Alan Trammell HOF Selection Base Tigers
OS-90 1/24/2018 Alan Trammell 1 HOF Selection Gold 1/1 Autograph Tigers $800.00
OS-90 1/24/2018 Alan Trammell 10 HOF Selection Red /10 Autograph Tigers $150.00
OS-90 1/24/2018 Alan Trammell 25 HOF Selection Purple /25 Autograph Tigers $80.00
OS-90 1/24/2018 Alan Trammell 49 HOF Selection Blue /49 Autograph Tigers $60.00
OS-90 1/24/2018 Alan Trammell 99 HOF Selection /99 Autograph Tigers $40.00
OS-91 1/24/2018 Jack Morris HOF Selection Base Tigers
OS-91 1/24/2018 Jack Morris 1 HOF Selection Gold 1/1 Autograph Tigers $800.00
OS-91 1/24/2018 Jack Morris 10 HOF Selection Red /10 Autograph Tigers $150.00
OS-91 1/24/2018 Jack Morris 25 HOF Selection Purple /25 Autograph Tigers $80.00
OS-91 1/24/2018 Jack Morris 49 HOF Selection Blue /49 Autograph Tigers $60.00
OS-91 1/24/2018 Jack Morris 99 HOF Selection /99 Autograph Tigers $40.00

*Low Print: I like to say low print vs SP as SP is confusing with talking Now cards. By definition nearly all Topps Now cards are SP (Short Printed)
http://toppsnowtoday.com/
joejoemay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #229
joejoemay

I got 2 of each base and (one of each for Club buyers and one for me) and a blue of Morris and Trammell as the price seemed reasonable.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #230
rcgdodge

^ I would have also loved to see Thome with a Phillies uniform on.

COMC - rcgdodge - Feel free to make an offer
rcgdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #231
tkraft24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgdodge View Post
^ I would have also loved to see Thome with a Phillies uniform on.
Pfft, he’s going into the Hall as an Indian so why the heck would they do that?!!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #232
rcgdodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkraft24 View Post
Pfft, he’s going into the Hall as an Indian so why the heck would they do that?!!
I know....I was just agreeing with the Boss!

Loved when Thome was with the Phillies.

Last edited by rcgdodge; 01-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #233
tkraft24

I would’ve been cool with Topps offering the players in various uniforms if they got rid of the fruity parallels. With Thome as an example, maybe they could’ve offered 99 Indians, 99 Phillies and 99 White Sox. Obviously he was a player that meant a lot to multiple fan bases so that would’ve been a nice compromise.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #234
tkraft24

Quote:
I know....I was just agreeing with the Boss!

Loved when Thome was with the Phillies.
I didn’t get that far in his post, haha.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #235
rcgdodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkraft24 View Post
I didn’t get that far in his post, haha.
lol...

Old 01-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #236
joejoemay

Quote:
lol...
I do tend to get long winded...
Old 01-26-2018, 11:09 AM   #237
Platman

Good write-up Joe. I agree I've had my disagreements with TN and have kept most off BO posts and done direct with Jeeves and the team.

I do have a problem that if Topps has the licensing with MLBPA (or even MLBPAA) then all those players under contract should be appear on cards. To have so many holdouts is ridiculous, and this is exactly one of the scenarios that shows the flaws in the program.

And as a Thome hoarder, I was thrilled to chase the rainbow since this had most meaning of all TN cards since inception. It was a tough pill to swallow as I thought he'd price lower as I had guessed $799, but at least I did find a 10% off promo code before purchase that worked once. Besides, some other JT fan or flipper might get it and just decided not to gamble on missing out. Just means I'll steer clear of other parallels in coming months.
Platman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #238
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platman View Post
Good write-up Joe. I agree I've had my disagreements with TN and have kept most off BO posts and done direct with Jeeves and the team.

I do have a problem that if Topps has the licensing with MLBPA (or even MLBPAA) then all those players under contract should be appear on cards. To have so many holdouts is ridiculous, and this is exactly one of the scenarios that shows the flaws in the program.

And as a Thome hoarder, I was thrilled to chase the rainbow since this had most meaning of all TN cards since inception. It was a tough pill to swallow as I thought he'd price lower as I had guessed $799, but at least I did find a 10% off promo code before purchase that worked once. Besides, some other JT fan or flipper might get it and just decided not to gamble on missing out. Just means I'll steer clear of other parallels in coming months.
Thought it was you that grabbed the 1/1...great pick up. Congratulations! I get accused of basically being a Topps employee so I like to flame them once in a while to keep the conspiracy theory people guessing!
I love the product and what they are doing but we have to call them out "publicly" every now and then or nothing would change.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:55 AM   #239
joejoemay

Little bird told me they (Topps) had been working a deal with all the candidates for months just couldn't get it done for one reason or another. I know if I was in Hoffman's or Vlad's shoes I'd have held out till after I was in the Hall. Obviously that commands more money.
Perhaps Topps can get them to sign Now and we can get a card today or in a few days.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:58 AM   #240
joejoemay

So totally off topic I had my COMC handle as "Idontusethisits2pricy" as a joke and someone actually has that handle...now I must change it. :-(
Old 01-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #241
joejoemay

Dear Platinum Members,

Topps is excited to announce our first Platinum Members Summit in New York City at the Topps office. The summit will take place on March 9th. There will be cocktails and dinner the night before on Thursday, March 8th (location TBD)

At the Summit event, we will be unveiling all of the Platinum benefits for the 2018 season and provide you with the first look at new Topps NOW initiatives planned for the 2018 season. In addition, you will have the opportunity to take a tour of the office, have a Q&A with Topps employees, and meet other Platinum Members.

Topps will provide the hotel for Thursday night, March 8th. Unlike the All-Star event, this will only be an event for Platinum members (no guests). It is important to note that this event is in addition to the All-Star event which will do again in 2018.

Please RSVP by February 8th if you plan to attend the Summit

Itinerary

Thursday, March 8th

Cocktails/Dinner: 6:00-9:00 PM (location TBD)

Thursday, March 9th

Summit event: 9:30am-2:00 PM (Topps offices in Manhattan)

Best Regards,

The Topps NOW team
Old 01-26-2018, 01:05 PM   #242
TwinsJake

Sounds fun. I'm still hoping to make it for ASG.
TwinsJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #243
Rhys Phillies

Thome did hit number 400 with the Phillies! Agree, seeing him in a Phillies uniform would have been great for us Phillies fans.
Rhys Phillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:43 PM   #244
sportsamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoemay View Post
Dear Platinum Members,

Topps is excited to announce our first Platinum Members Summit in New York City at the Topps office. The summit will take place on March 9th. There will be cocktails and dinner the night before on Thursday, March 8th (location TBD)

At the Summit event, we will be unveiling all of the Platinum benefits for the 2018 season and provide you with the first look at new Topps NOW initiatives planned for the 2018 season. In addition, you will have the opportunity to take a tour of the office, have a Q&A with Topps employees, and meet other Platinum Members.

Topps will provide the hotel for Thursday night, March 8th. Unlike the All-Star event, this will only be an event for Platinum members (no guests). It is important to note that this event is in addition to the All-Star event which will do again in 2018.

Please RSVP by February 8th if you plan to attend the Summit

Itinerary

Thursday, March 8th

Cocktails/Dinner: 6:00-9:00 PM (location TBD)

Thursday, March 9th

Summit event: 9:30am-2:00 PM (Topps offices in Manhattan)

Best Regards,

The Topps NOW team
You going?
sportsamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #245
TexanFan

Thumbs up

Shipped: Triple Auto Correa/Altuve/Bregman

Old 01-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #246
mlbfan10

Got my tracking as well for my green C/A/B!

Last edited by mlbfan10; 01-26-2018 at 05:23 PM.
mlbfan10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #247
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsamerica View Post
You going?
YES...
Old 01-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #248
alwaysworking

Default ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoemay View Post
So totally off topic I had my COMC handle as "Idontusethisits2pricy" as a joke and someone actually has that handle...now I must change it. :-(
lol...funny
alwaysworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #249
alwaysworking

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017

anyone else surprised @ Robles in the #3 spot?

joejoe, i liked your write up and I do think there is room for a Thome catd like you described. As a Dodgers fan I mind less that MadBum cards in general are few a far between, but I think you are on to something on that point as well.
alwaysworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:34 PM   #250
BigEd

Okay, so interesting question here: should Brinson have an RC logo? The set is still 2017 design (which is his Topps card rookie year), is part of the OS set (which has already included Judge, Bellinger, etc. RC logo cards), but has been released in 2018. We'll find out if it was something they missed based on if they change it, but what do we think it should be?