Blowout Cards Forums
2018 mem day coupons

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
the27guy

Default A big mailday for me... 2 years+ in, and we're almost done

In 2015, when Panini introduced Eminence, I decided to do something highly regrettable.

I decided to do the base set.

This was a terrible decision - mostly because I'm not the most patient person.

Well, over the last couple of weeks, I've had a crazy breakthrough.

I entered 2018 needing 6 cards and 1 plate (Panini didn't make 3 of the cards, and so the plate is as good as I can do).

I needed the following-

Harden, Bill Russell, Vince Carter, TMac, Nique, and Rodman and the Derrick Rose Plate.

In all of 2017, I added 5 total cards to the set, but somehow, in 2018 I've added 4 already.

The Vince Carter is the FIRST to surface. THE VERY FIRST. Tarheelsfan2012 will back me up on this. It's literally the only one of the ten to be seen by the masses to date. And only one of the Gold's /5 has been seen as well. I picked it up on ebay... you can see it here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-15-Pan...8AAOSwXOhaX62W

I should have taken a picture of it, but it's already taken it's place in the set.

McGrady, and Harden were listed within a few days of each other. Snagged both.

And then there's this guy, which came in today and I couldn't be happier about.

47 cards down.... three to go.

Rodman Auto /10
Nique Auto /10
Derrick Rose Plate

Why am I openly posting via this forum which three cards I need? Simple. I know they're out there, and I am now giving you permission to PM me and test me. I know I'm going to have to overpay. I get that. But I am almost there.... and I've waited long enough.

Please, if you know ANYONE who has/might have these, please let me know. I want to FINISH this thing.

Thank you all for your help.

Adam
the27guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
hairyangryfella

Knew it'd be Eminence, knew it'd be fugly, but knew you'd be stoked and just wanted to say I'm pleased for you. Good luck with the rest!
hairyangryfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
SHowley2003

The GOAT! Nice job! Normally I back you on Eminence, but in this instance they messed with his auto. He has a great auto, but his old hands and the paint pen didn’t mesh. I love the overall design though. Great pickup.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
thepinoymamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by the27guy View Post
In 2015, when Panini introduced Eminence, I decided to do something highly regrettable.

I decided to do the base set.

This was a terrible decision - mostly because I'm not the most patient person.

Well, over the last couple of weeks, I've had a crazy breakthrough.

I entered 2018 needing 6 cards and 1 plate (Panini didn't make 3 of the cards, and so the plate is as good as I can do).

I needed the following-

Harden, Bill Russell, Vince Carter, TMac, Nique, and Rodman and the Derrick Rose Plate.

In all of 2017, I added 5 total cards to the set, but somehow, in 2018 I've added 4 already.

The Vince Carter is the FIRST to surface. THE VERY FIRST. Tarheelsfan2012 will back me up on this. It's literally the only one of the ten to be seen by the masses to date. And only one of the Gold's /5 has been seen as well. I picked it up on ebay... you can see it here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-15-Pan...8AAOSwXOhaX62W

I should have taken a picture of it, but it's already taken it's place in the set.

McGrady, and Harden were listed within a few days of each other. Snagged both.

And then there's this guy, which came in today and I couldn't be happier about.

47 cards down.... three to go.

Rodman Auto /10
Nique Auto /10
Derrick Rose Plate

Why am I openly posting via this forum which three cards I need? Simple. I know they're out there, and I am now giving you permission to PM me and test me. I know I'm going to have to overpay. I get that. But I am almost there.... and I've waited long enough.

Please, if you know ANYONE who has/might have these, please let me know. I want to FINISH this thing.

Thank you all for your help.

Adam
Wow!!+ congratulations!!! Those would be nice to see on Display On a shadow Boxed Wall!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kobe Anthology SET
thepinoymamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
DajuanWagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
Knew it'd be Eminence, knew it'd be fugly, but knew you'd be stoked and just wanted to say I'm pleased for you. Good luck with the rest!

^^^^^^^^^^^^this.
DajuanWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Dnic

Beautiful card
Dnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
cshelb34687

Send a message via Yahoo to cshelb34687

A big congratulations to you! I know the feeling of spending years to build a set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #8
The Zodiac

Sweet Card! Very nice pick up!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156376773@N02/albums/with/72157690713393666
The Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
Tarheelsfan2012

Great mail day! You are on a roll! Hopefully the other two and the plate will eventually show up! I think Nique was basically like Vince, it hasn't surfaced, but you would know better than me.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #10
Soleternity

That is awesome. Love the design on those cards. Almost there.
Soleternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
smalltown

Nice pick ups! So very close... but so very far....
Old 02-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #12
gslayton

What a set chase! Rooting for ya, great start to 2018. I will find a Rodman to get the universe balanced out!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #13
Hornet21

So that’s where that tmac went! I had it on my watch list waiting to get paid lol

Nice set!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:01 AM   #14
duron

It's always funny to me that my favorite Panini product is so often disliked by even many modern era collectors.

These cards are gorgeous. If I could afford a Penny auto from the set I'd hang that thing in front of fifty lights despite knowing it would likely screw the auto. The fact these weren't given a precision-tipped marker doesn't even bother me.

"I'm venting at poor cardboard, not your pride and dignity as a man. Jesus Christ." -rangeljon
duron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:17 AM   #15
ljandkg

3 to go mate. Best of luck!!!

http://the21collection.weebly.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152215151@N02/albums
ljandkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #16
AlabamaSlamma

Bully to your persistence. Almost there.

https://610sportscards.smugmug.com/The-Collection
IG: @610sportscards
AlabamaSlamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 AM   #17
MGoBlue

Congrats, man. Quite an endeavor, but you’re almost there. Hopefully you can finish in 2018!

I collect a few CWebb cards and other ex-Wolverines
http://sportscardalbum.com/u/mgoblue
MGoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #18
TWard

God, that Russell is sexy af.

Hope you finish the set!! Canít wait to see them all together!

Go Colts.
TWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #19
the27guy

I just want to take a moment to thank a few of you for your words of encouragement. It really does mean a lot. I don't share my collection anywhere but Blowout, so I truly do appreciate the kindness. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshelb34687 View Post
A big congratulations to you! I know the feeling of spending years to build a set!
Every once in a while, it's one of the REALLY fun things about the hobby. I took YEARS putting together my first set - an 1986-97 fleer set - when I was a kid. In general, being a completionist in this hobby is rough... but if you pick your spots, it can be a ton of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelsfan2012 View Post
Great mail day! You are on a roll! Hopefully the other two and the plate will eventually show up! I think Nique was basically like Vince, it hasn't surfaced, but you would know better than me.
Thank you for all the help Jeffrey. It's been fun to have a couple of people to go on this journey with. You're at the top of the list. Even though I finally added that Vince, I won't forget that surprise mailday you gave me. That was a real highlight for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duron View Post
It's always funny to me that my favorite Panini product is so often disliked by even many modern era collectors.

These cards are gorgeous. If I could afford a Penny auto from the set I'd hang that thing in front of fifty lights despite knowing it would likely screw the auto. The fact these weren't given a precision-tipped marker doesn't even bother me.
Yeah, I could write a book on this post. One of the great things about this hobby is that we all get to like different things. So many of things that people LOVE on this board don't appeal to me. But that's okay! We all get to choose what we like. For me, the opportunity to chase a base set /10 was too tempting. Etched holofoil. Less than 50 cards in the set.. I don't know if we will ever see a base set with these specs again. It's been a BLAST. Oh, and I hope you find a Penny. Throw it out there when you do. Here's a small picture of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoBlue View Post
Congrats, man. Quite an endeavor, but youíre almost there. Hopefully you can finish in 2018!
Thanks Matt! When I die, you can have my three Webber's. Not really, but I love ya.

I'd be THRILLED if I can find one of the remaining three cards in 2018. I've seen one Rose Plate, one Nique auto, and I can't remember how many Rodman's - but probably not more than 2-3. So they're out there somewhere.

The only Rose plate that I have seen was sold via open auction right after NT was released and the title did NOT contain the word "eminence".... SIGH!!!! I only ever found it because Jeffrey pointed me to it. Now I wish I would have contacted the seller and told him to tell his buyer that I'd give them $50 for the card. I am sure it's not worth that to anyone but me.

The Nique.... I wonder about. Mostly because his auto is the WORST in the entire product in the thick Gold. There's a part of me that wonders if Panini held back some of the base cards if the autos ended up really terrible. Dominque's stuff has been very difficult to find out of Eminence as a whole..... could they have held back his cards? Not included them? Seems unlikely until you start noticing that the majority of the guys have had 10-14 of their 16 base cards/parallels surface.... i don't know. I just know that I have only seen one and I really wish I would have bought it.

Again... Blowout detectives, be on the look out for the following three cards-

Dominique Wilkins Eminence Base Auto /10
Dennis Rodman Eminence Base Auto /10
Derrick Rose Eminence Base Plate 1/1 (from 2015-16 National Treasures)

Thank you all!

Adam
Old 02-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #20
goehring9

Adam I wonder - do you think the last three are out there in some unopened boxes, or just slipped in to PCs and not surfacing? I ask thinking Eminence might be the type of set where boxes are languishing on the shelf of some obscure LCS, or overseas perhaps... so frustrating knowing that you're that close. I think about this a lot when I'm typing in random Wilt cards I need and there is jus nothing listed anywhere.
IG: lakersforumgold
goehring9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:40 PM   #21
the27guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goehring9 View Post
Adam I wonder - do you think the last three are out there in some unopened boxes, or just slipped in to PCs and not surfacing? I ask thinking Eminence might be the type of set where boxes are languishing on the shelf of some obscure LCS, or overseas perhaps... so frustrating knowing that you're that close. I think about this a lot when I'm typing in random Wilt cards I need and there is jus nothing listed anywhere.
Good question. Can't be sure. But based on what percentage of cards I have seen from some of the 1/1 sets, there can't be more than 10-20% of the product out there still sealed. Probably closer to 10%. Maybe less. I know of a guy who had 20 something cases sealed... he has opened all but one. I know of one other sealed case. I don't know of more than that.

What seems more likely is that two of the more messy signers in Eminence ('Nique and Rodman) signed cards in a way that Panini felt were not nice enough to insert into the boxes. I hope that's not the case, but I could totally see Rodman stacking cards on top of each other when the gold marker wasn't dry, and creating a real mess in the process.... and then later the folks putting the boxes together, noticing the quality issues and pulling them from the product.

I hope that's not the case... but two years in on a product which I'd guess is more likely than most to be shown online.... it's my best guess. Seeing 1 or 2 out of 16 cards after 2+ years is really strange if the above didn't happen.

Meanwhile, I've seen 13 or 14 of the 20 Championship tag cards. Almost all of the USA platinum 1/1's.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
pmannings#1fan

Good looking Russell card!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
the27guy

quick update on this - I have seen a bunch more busted lately, but Rodman and Nique are still hiding. Still no Rose Plate. Still three to go. Your help is appreciated!

Adam