Blowout Cards Forums
March Gladness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > Topps Now & The Living Sets

Notices

Topps Now & The Living Sets Post your Topps Now Hobby Talk

Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 PM   #1
joejoemay

Default 2018 Topps Now Black & White 1/1 Tracker

So this is happening with the first main set issues of 2018. Instead of a Golden Ticket a Topps Now Platinum Member will receive a one of one B/W version (stamped 1/1) and each member will have an option to have one of these cards autograph if Topps have or can get a autograph of the player. This is the new awards autograph program for 2018.

Foil Stamped 1/1 Black and White cards for all of the base cards
Card will be a parallel of the base card
Random selection
At least 10 cards per member
All members will get the same amount of the cards
Bi-weekly email will be sent with the cards that you will be shipped
1 Golden ticket
Can redeem it for an autograph on the 1/1 Black and White card
Must have an autograph agreement with the player
It can’t be redeemed if that card is a Topps NOW autographed card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platman View Post
The Kingery #63 is the highest reported number with 10 Plats/20 cards accounted for as of 5/1.

4/24/2018 1 Ian Happ - 03/29/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 1 - Print Run: 1184
4/24/2018 3 Giancarlo Stanton - 03/29/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 3 - Print Run: 2999
4/24/2018 4 Eduardo Nunez - 03/29/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 4 - Print Run: 543
4/24/2018 9 Marcus Semien - 03/29/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 9 - Print Run: 497
4/24/2018 14 Joe Panik - 03/30/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 14 - Print Run: 449
4/24/2018 19 Xander Bogaerts - 03/31/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 19 - Print Run: 316
4/24/2018 21 Justin Smoak - 04/01/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 21 - Print Run: 307
4/24/2018 22 Gerrit Cole - 04/01/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 22 - Print Run: 369
4/24/2018 23 Shohei Ohtani - 04/01/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 23 - Print Run: 5920
4/24/2018 24 Colin Moran - 04/02/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 24 - Print Run: 313
4/24/2018 41 Hanley Ramirez - 04/05/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 41 - Print Run: 305
4/24/2018 47 Bryce Harper - 04/07/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 47 - Print Run: 573
4/24/2018 48 Ian Happ - 04/07/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 48 - Print Run: 342
4/24/2018 49 Maikel Franco - 04/07/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 49 - Print Run: 364
4/24/2018 52 Andrew McCutchen - 04/07/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 52 - Print Run: 445
4/24/2018 53 Shohei Ohtani - 04/08/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 53 - Print Run: 7752
4/24/2018 57 Yoenis Cespedes - 04/08/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 57 - Print Run: 339
4/24/2018 58 Corey Kluber - 04/09/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 58 - Print Run: 237
4/24/2018 62 Boston Red Sox - 04/10/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 62 - Print Run: 237
4/24/2018 63 Scott Kingery - 04/10/2018 TOPPS NOW® Card 63 - Print Run: 1113
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ToppsNow

Last edited by joejoemay; 05-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.
joejoemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #2
byronscott4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoemay View Post
So this is happening with the first main set issues of 2018. Instead of a Golden Ticket a Topps Now Platinum Member will receive a one of one B/W version (stamped 1/1) and each member will have an option to have one of these cards autograph if Topps have or can get a autograph of the player. This is the new awards autograph program for 2018.
Cool for you guys but it seems golden ones were a great way to introduce concept to more people.
byronscott4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
byronscott4ever

If Topps has an auto—sounds like a sticker?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
TwinsJake

Big fan of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TwinsJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
tribefan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronscott4ever View Post
I think it means if Topps has a contract with the player to get a signature.

Keep Topps Now sticker Free!
tribefan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #6
spw2214

Quote:
Cool for you guys but it seems golden ones were a great way to introduce concept to more people.
My understanding is that was the goal, but it didn't work as well as they hoped. As the 2017 Golden Ticket thread gets populated we will probably discover that many just ended up in the hands of existing Topps Now collectors. Jeeves said they are focusing on other marketing efforts in 2018. For example, when a walk-off is shown on TV they could say, "Wow, that's a Topps Now moment!" That could be an effective way to introduce the concept to more people than being lucky enough to pull a Golden Ticket. Topps has several other ideas along those lines to get the word out.
spw2214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #7
spw2214

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan26 View Post
I think it means if Topps has a contract with the player to get a signature.

Keep Topps Now sticker Free!
Yes, that is correct. They will try to accommodate requests, but some players are not under contract or have other limitations.
spw2214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #8
joejoemay

Quote:
Won’t be a sticker
Old 03-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #9
joejoemay

As SPW said above...the Golden Tickets just didn’t work. The Topps Now Top Ten inserts in series 1 are doing a much better job. Other ways are a MLB spokesman (retired and active).
Old 03-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #10
mlbexpert

Cool, but why not give it out to a random purchaser of that card? (Says the non-platinum guy who is feeling very jealous after the summit).
mlbexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #11
joejoemay

Well the Platinum club has doubled in just one year. I think if they started giving them out randomly where is the incentive to spend $50k a year?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Platman

I am really looking forward to these. I love the strategy for the autograph 1/1 and I'll probably wait for later in the season.

As far as the distribution, if there are 900 TN cards this year, based on our guess of how many Plats there are this year, each will get randomly about 20 of the 1/1 variations.

I can certainly live with that considering what I spent for about 10 cards from 3 Golden Tickets I bought on the Bay.
Platman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #13
Jeramy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platman View Post
I am really looking forward to these. I love the strategy for the autograph 1/1 and I'll probably wait for later in the season.

As far as the distribution, if there are 900 TN cards this year, based on our guess of how many Plats there are this year, each will get randomly about 20 of the 1/1 variations.

I can certainly live with that considering what I spent for about 10 cards from 3 Golden Tickets I bought on the Bay.
Wow. The value of Platinum in 2018 is insane!
Jeramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #14
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

I'm guessing that what I'm about to say is going to be fairly unpopular with this audience, which is (as of now) so heavily comprised of Platinum members. And before I say what I wanna say, I hasten to note that I totally get and respect the importance of the Platinum members in the overall TN distribution food chain, I've definitely benefited from buying cheaper from some of you due to your bulk purchasing, and I realize being a Platinum ties up a lot of capital and you need to be rewarded for that.

But here's what I want to say: If Topps keeps creating so many ultra premium cards that are only available to Platinum members, who then have an insane level of pricing power over the further distribution of those cards, it really dissuades pure collectors like me from wanting to try to keep up with annual set-building projects. I can live with it, I guess, if the Plats are only getting auto versions of cards that otherwise have a base, as maybe I can get myself not to care about the ultra exclusive auto version, but at least when there are cards that are "unique" in terms of the card photo/content that are not available through direct channels to average collectors like me, then that pretty much guts my desire to try to keep building annual Cubs sets, b/c then I have to go buy multiple "special" cards for hundreds or thousands each on the secondary market to feel like I have anything approaching a complete team set for that year.

I'm sure Topps doesn't care, but if enough people have that response and don't keep chasing the daily cards, it isn't going to help them or the Plats in the short or long run. IMO, they need to do better at striking a balance in terms of how many of these exclusive special premium cards they make.

Okay, Plat Pack, go ahead and shred me.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #15
gamboooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bryzzo View Post
I'm guessing that what I'm about to say is going to be fairly unpopular with this audience, which is (as of now) so heavily comprised of Platinum members. And before I say what I wanna say, I hasten to note that I totally get and respect the importance of the Platinum members in the overall TN distribution food chain, I've definitely benefited from buying cheaper from some of you due to your bulk purchasing, and I realize being a Platinum ties up a lot of capital and you need to be rewarded for that.

But here's what I want to say: If Topps keeps creating so many ultra premium cards that are only available to Platinum members, who then have an insane level of pricing power over the further distribution of those cards, it really dissuades pure collectors like me from wanting to try to keep up with annual set-building projects. I can live with it, I guess, if the Plats are only getting auto versions of cards that otherwise have a base, as maybe I can get myself not to care about the ultra exclusive auto version, but at least when there are cards that are "unique" in terms of the card photo/content that are not available through direct channels to average collectors like me, then that pretty much guts my desire to try to keep building annual Cubs sets, b/c then I have to go buy multiple "special" cards for hundreds or thousands each on the secondary market to feel like I have anything approaching a complete team set for that year.

I'm sure Topps doesn't care, but if enough people have that response and don't keep chasing the daily cards, it isn't going to help them or the Plats in the short or long run. IMO, they need to do better at striking a balance in terms of how many of these exclusive special premium cards they make.
I agree with most of that. Think it would've been smarter for them to randomly pack out the 1/1 and give buyers an incentive to buy directly from Topps. Making all the 1/1s Platinum exclusive just incentivizes people with the resources to buy in bulk and sell at < $5 on eBay. Maybe that's their goal, though. Seems bad for long-term value though, which a lot of the true Platinum guys (ie not the ones purely flipping) care about.

I kind of go back and forth on this, and I don't see why Topps would do it given the killing they make off it, but I think I kind of like the idea of all the autographs being randomly inserted in base orders, too. I can definitely see why they're not though. EDIT: Compromise idea could be a certain parallel is pack-exclusive. Rare enough that it doesn't substantially increase the cost of the production for the card.

Last edited by gamboooler; 03-14-2018 at 11:03 AM.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
mlbexpert

Quote:
Well the Platinum club has doubled in just one year. I think if they started giving them out randomly where is the incentive to spend $50k a year?
Really, Joe? Where’s the incentive? First of all, you are buying $50k worth of Topps baseball cards. For most, if they spend $50k on cases of regular cards, they aren’t getting much more than a bill. Second, even though someone like Brent breaks a ton of cases, when I spend the fraction of what he does, I still have a shot of pulling an amazing card from my box. It’s less likely because he opens way more, but it’s not zero.

With the Platinum perks, I have zero chance. Getting harder and harder to justify buying directly from Topps. Some of the platinum members flip base cards immediately. All this does for the average buyer is drive the card value down to $4-$6 if they were planning on buying directly from Topps for $10. I would think that Topps would want to encourage more direct purchases and less of a distribution model, but maybe that’s not the case. If the 1/1s were random, I might spend more to buy from Topps to have a shot versus buying on eBay. Yes, not great for some Platinum members, but brings a cool new element to the regular purchasers.

Also, there are lots of other Platinum perks that are pretty great.
- Three sets of Platinum exclusive autographs last year, including WBC Jones, ASG Berlinger, and now Ohtani
- Ability to reserve any auto/relic you want ahead of release
- Direct relationship with Jeeves for customer service problems
-ASG tickets and event
- NY summit
- Card of the month

I get 4% off via points. Which I can also use to buy the card of the month. That is a nice perk. Especially compared to traditional cards where I buy a box and get nothing.

I just don’t think a $50k spend should be viewed as a kickstarter with higher levels of perks, because you are still buying $50k value in cards. Assuming you believe Topps Now Card’s will keep their initial value, which in some cases is true and others not - like all baseball cards.

I don’t disagree that Platinum members should be rewarded. I think they should. They are the heart and souls of the program, but I think Topps should be doing more cool ideas like the black and whites for direct buyers.

I’m not mad that you and other Platinums get cool perks, but I think it’s in Topps’ best interest to be doing some wider incentives for direct purchasers.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #17
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbexpert View Post
Really, Joe? Where’s the incentive? First of all, you are buying $50k worth of Topps baseball cards. For most, if they spend $50k on cases of regular cards, they aren’t getting much more than a bill. Second, even though someone like Brent breaks a ton of cases, when I spend the fraction of what he does, I still have a shot of pulling an amazing card from my box. It’s less likely because he opens way more, but it’s not zero.

With the Platinum perks, I have zero chance. Getting harder and harder to justify buying directly from Topps. Some of the platinum members flip base cards immediately. All this does for the average buyer is drive the card value down to $4-$6 if they were planning on buying directly from Topps for $10. I would think that Topps would want to encourage more direct purchases and less of a distribution model, but maybe that’s not the case. If the 1/1s were random, I might spend more to buy from Topps to have a shot versus buying on eBay. Yes, not great for some Platinum members, but brings a cool new element to the regular purchasers.

Also, there are lots of other Platinum perks that are pretty great.
- Three sets of Platinum exclusive autographs last year, including WBC Jones, ASG Berlinger, and now Ohtani
- Ability to reserve any auto/relic you want ahead of release
- Direct relationship with Jeeves for customer service problems
-ASG tickets and event
- NY summit
- Card of the month

I get 4% off via points. Which I can also use to buy the card of the month. That is a nice perk. Especially compared to traditional cards where I buy a box and get nothing.

I just don’t think a $50k spend should be viewed as a kickstarter with higher levels of perks, because you are still buying $50k value in cards. Assuming you believe Topps Now Card’s will keep their initial value, which in some cases is true and others not - like all baseball cards.

I don’t disagree that Platinum members should be rewarded. I think they should. They are the heart and souls of the program, but I think Topps should be doing more cool ideas like the black and whites for direct buyers.

I’m not mad that you and other Platinums get cool perks, but I think it’s in Topps’ best interest to be doing some wider incentives for direct purchasers.
I agree more should be done for the other members...I was pitching the idea of all the parallels being random to increase sales of autographs. I'm also open to pitching other ideas for the aluminum members (more buyers are better for everyone)...this was just given to us. Inserting one Golden Ticket into 2018 random buyers would be an awesome way to continue the Golden Ticket program. I don't work for Topps so I can't make things better for the Aluminum's but I am trying....I have a voice and I do use it to try and help others become interested in the program. All ships rise on the tide right? Having 5000 unique buyers would be better then 50 mega buyers and yes Topps has to want to grow unique buyers but it seems their bread and butter is still with us guys. FYI, I've not flipped a 2018 card yet (save to my buyers club members) and I've changed my strategy to hold and sell later once the pure flippers are gone.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #18
glassnickels

Quote:

This is actually why I stopped buying TN completely. The writing was on the wall about the platinum club. I bought about half of my 2016 Cubs set direct from Topps and got nothing for it. Bought the other half on pre-sale from a seller who would become platinum. Got nothing for that either, but he did. I know there is a huge time and money investment to basically be a distributor, but even distributors of packed out Topps don't get this many perks. It's hard for me to not buy some of the nice Cubs that pop up in TN, but I've so far managed. The Cubs lackluster playoff run last year probably helped. Probably just sour grapes I guess but it just gave me a bad vibe so I quit cold turkey
glassnickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #19
Darth Bryzzo
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnickels View Post
This is actually why I stopped buying TN completely. The writing was on the wall about the platinum club. I bought about half of my 2016 Cubs set direct from Topps and got nothing for it. Bought the other half on pre-sale from a seller who would become platinum. Got nothing for that either, but he did. I know there is a huge time and money investment to basically be a distributor, but even distributors of packed out Topps don't get this many perks. It's hard for me to not buy some of the nice Cubs that pop up in TN, but I've so far managed. The Cubs lackluster playoff run last year probably helped. Probably just sour grapes I guess but it just gave me a bad vibe so I quit cold turkey
Hey man. Good to hear your fellow Cub fan thoughts on this.

I did carry through all the base cards in 2017 (buying most from Platinum member TwinsJake on eBay for $5.50 each on average), but I’m probably not going to try to be team set completist in 2018...unless they win the the WS again, in which event I may go back over time and fill in most or all of a season base set.

I’m getting the 2018 RTOD and any other team sets throughout the year, and I will try to buy any and all postseason cards as they come out, but beyond that, my TN expenditures will be filling in autos and graded copies of cards from the 2016 set, as I think the 2016s (esp for Cubs) will always have the greatest long term value, and it is now a finite set on which I can’t get screwed by any Topps “special exclusive” shenanigans going forward.

I’ve been a fan of this line since shortly after inception, and I’ve spent a good chunk of my collecting cash on it the last couple of years. I was open to continuing to try to get every Cubs card as it came out for years into the future (at least during the tenure of the current Cubs core). But after seeing how badly Topps overmilked Judge and Belly last year, seeing it happening again with Ohtani, and now all of these exclusive premium cards that only select folks have a shot at unless they pay thousands of dollars on the aftermarket, I simply don’t trust Topps enough here anymore to put myself in a position as a collector where I feel that I have to spend whatever to keep up with whatever they do, no matter what.

Last edited by Darth Bryzzo; 03-14-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Darth Bryzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 PM   #20
mlbexpert

Quote:
I agree more should be done for the other members...I was pitching the idea of all the parallels being random to increase sales of autographs. I'm also open to pitching other ideas for the aluminum members (more buyers are better for everyone)...this was just given to us. Inserting one Golden Ticket into 2018 random buyers would be an awesome way to continue the Golden Ticket program. I don't work for Topps so I can't make things better for the Aluminum's but I am trying....I have a voice and I do use it to try and help others become interested in the program. All ships rise on the tide right? Having 5000 unique buyers would be better then 50 mega buyers and yes Topps has to want to grow unique buyers but it seems their bread and butter is still with us guys. FYI, I've not flipped a 2018 card yet (save to my buyers club members) and I've changed my strategy to hold and sell later once the pure flippers are gone.
And us Aluminum members appreciate you helping to give us a voice. You do a lot for the Topps Now community and I want you to know that I definitely do recognize and appreciate that!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #21
byronscott4ever

I’m surprised more collectors haven’t pooled their resources to get into Platinum as a group and then divvy up the rewards amongst themselves—they get cheaper cards AND a chance for loot
Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #22
joejoemay

Well sorry to hear that what the Platinum's have gotten has turned you off...you get rewards points (I do not) so there are just different levels. Topps case buyers and Topps Now are different programs, one has rewards one doesn't. The rewards are simply (from how I see it) to keep us buying at that level and entice others to buy at that level. I'd be upset too but it just be that I was jealous and would either pick up my buying or continue to use my reward points.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
glassnickels

Quote:
Well sorry to hear that what the Platinum's have gotten has turned you off...you get rewards points (I do not) so there are just different levels. Topps case buyers and Topps Now are different programs, one has rewards one doesn't. The rewards are simply (from how I see it) to keep us buying at that level and entice others to buy at that level. I'd be upset too but it just be that I was jealous and would either pick up my buying or continue to use my reward points.
Just to clarify I only bought in 2016 so no I didn't get any rewards points. Not that it mattered to me obviously, but there weren't rewards for aluminum from the start.
glassnickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
joejoemay

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnickels View Post
Just to clarify I only bought in 2016 so no I didn't get any rewards points. Not that it mattered to me obviously, but there weren't rewards for aluminum from the start.
And rewards were not promised...just happened to get a surprise for spending all I did. I like the rewards program but I am at the top of the food chain so I would. I can see how being lower down would be bothersome but it is ALL about the amount of money spent. If you are in my buyers club I do try and share the Platinum option to pre-buy low numbered autographs / relics with my buyers.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:33 PM   #25
ketchupman36

Quote:

I really think that the Platinum members are the only ones propping up the Topps Now program so they are trying to keep them happy. I don't think the general public carries the Topps Now program and keeps it a profitable option for Topps. If Topps wants to reward its Platinum members, that's fine. But there is zero incentive for me to buy directly from Topps if I'm only buying cards here and there. I know there are plenty of other collectors out there who go directly to eBay to buy TN cards because buying directly from Topps is a loosing proposition. Topps is only siphoning money away from themselves.
ketchupman36 is offline   Reply With Quote