Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS

Notices

NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 06-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
spacefanmick

Default A 2year wait for my 2011 topps american pie redemption is finally over/i guess???

So after a two year battle with Topps,to get the Jimi Hendrix redemptions owed to me. Two mystery envelopes arrived today. Knowing they were never going to redeam the a Hendrix relic,due to disput with the estate. The only question was would there "replacement" be any where near the $225 EACH I paid for the two redemption cards?
I think the answer is an easy,of course it isn't. The letter states,the cards I recieved were not part of any set or product. And we're produced solely for the purpose of fulfilling these redemption issues. That being said,it is serial numbered to /199. So VERY DISSAPOINTING.
The card is of Dwight Gooden,and I of course have two of them. I don't collect baseball,so have no idea of there value. If any body wants to let me know what they think they might be worth,that would be appreciated. As they are going straight to eBay
So to sum it up,I'm glad the two year battle with this company is over,the hundreds of emails and two years of frustration. I still feel the same way,I will avoid spending my hard earned money with the a Topps Corporation. And will focus on new upstart companies,who are doing great work such as Viceroy.
spacefanmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Nicnac

Horrible! a pity they've worn you out because that crap should go right back to them for something better
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Spider-Fan

I have to be honest. After following this forum for a couple of months, I will never purchase an unredeemed redemption card. It seems that far too often the redemption cards are for items not procured prior to the set release and end up never being obtained. Very sad, since I know Topps is not the only company guilty of such things. These companies need to stop promising things they cannot deliver. If they can't get their hands on an autograph or relic, DON'T INCLUDE IT. If it eventually comes their way, they can always find a place for it down the road.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
Roymunson
Banned

Those $5 cards replacing a piece of music history? WOW sorry about the bad luck.
Roymunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
dpwoodford

One sold on eBay for $8.27

I suppose this 'not available in packs' idea is their way of skirting the equal BV issue now they have a bunch of high-value cards they can't produce.
dpwoodford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
monkeymcgee

That's totally unacceptable. I would send the autos back and tell them to shove it. I'd rather have nothing.

It's bad enough the value differential is ridiculous, but to send you the same auto twice? That's just pure jackass stuff.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
spacefanmick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwoodford View Post
One sold on eBay for $8.27

I suppose this 'not available in packs' idea is their way of skirting the equal BV issue now they have a bunch of high-value cards they can't produce.
You are probably right on,I haven't picked up a Beckett in years. But I bet when this card hit the market in late 2011. The Becket Value was around $200. So disappointing. And I'm with you Spider-Man. I will NEVER BUY any second hand redemption card. I see them on eBay. And sometimes they are asking thousands of dollars,makes me cringe,and want to warn people off of buying them. But a seller has rights so I just keep it to myself. I'll take my $430 loss like a man...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
spacefanmick

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
That's totally unacceptable. I would send the autos back and tell them to shove it. I'd rather have nothing.

It's bad enough the value differential is ridiculous, but to send you the same auto twice? That's just pure jackass stuff.
Very tempting monkey!!! Send this crap back,and tell them where to put it. After all what would I be out $16. Max,,,,,,,
Old 06-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
t2554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I have to be honest. After following this forum for a couple of months, I will never purchase an unredeemed redemption card. It seems that far too often the redemption cards are for items not procured prior to the set release and end up never being obtained. Very sad, since I know Topps is not the only company guilty of such things. These companies need to stop promising things they cannot deliver. If they can't get their hands on an autograph or relic, DON'T INCLUDE IT. If it eventually comes their way, they can always find a place for it down the road.
I can't understand how companies can get away with this. These 'IOUs' companies put out have no guarantees whatsoever, which is just wrong and unethical. I don't think companies should be able to put out redemptions for a card unless they have all of the autos/materials IN HAND. I really feel for the guy with the Hendrix relic redemptions and how much he paid for them. What is stopping a company from putting out redemptions for Abraham Lincoln cut autos and replacing them with a $10 baseball auto? There is no accountability for these companies...
t2554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
dd316

Disgraceful. Those were the top hits in that product.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
SlickNeon

Absolutely horrible. At the very least, replace a non sports product with another non sports product.

If I were you, I would harass them day in and day out about it until its made right.
SlickNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
baytowntex

sorry to hear about that.. that is not right at all
baytowntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
eldavojohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
The card is of Dwight Gooden,and I of course have two of them.
If you are as jaded as I would be, you should go here and fill out a formal complaint about this. They are rated as A+ and a A+ company should not treat you that way. Sounds like you have more than enough documentation to provide including the eBay auction. Also, I'm a HUGE Hendrix fan and would be incredibly upset.

Quote:
I still feel the same way,I will avoid spending my hard earned money with the a Topps Corporation.
Yep, I only buy Topps at severely reduced price -- not preordering anymore from them or paying full MSRP. After Space! I'm with you, Viceroy gets my mad moneys.
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
VWBUS1978

call them ASAP. don't give up, fight the good fight.
VWBUS1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
YoOiTsCeWL

If you give up now that 2 year fight was for nothing and a huge waste of time. Stay strong and give them an earful. If you dont keep at it that means they won...dont let them win.
YoOiTsCeWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #16
kapz01

Not even close to as bad, but I gave my friend a Junior Dos Santos UFC auto redemption for his bday last year... it came in time for his bday this year. Also after Dos Santos lost his heavyweight belt. Thanks Topps... or should I say Bottomms?
kapz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
Spider-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
If you are as jaded as I would be, you should go here and fill out a formal complaint about this. They are rated as A+ and a A+ company should not treat you that way.
Correction, an A+ company would not treat you that way. Clearly that rating is a joke.

And just to clarify - Even if the company has the redeemable cards in hand (i.e., WDs1 badge cards), I'm not buying the redemption card. The seller can redeem the damn card and then sell it once its in hand. Then I get to see the actual card I'm getting and it only has to go from the seller to me. If the card arrives damaged or does not arrive at all I can file a case through eBay. Otherwise redemption card from seller to me, then redemption card from me to company, then redeemed card from company back to me. Too many steps for something to go wrong and if something goes wrong I'm just screwed.

Don't buy redemption cards, buy REDEEMED cards.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #18
spacefanmick

Thumbs up

Quote:
Correction, an A+ company would not treat you that way. Clearly that rating is a joke.

And just to clarify - Even if the company has the redeemable cards in hand (i.e., WDs1 badge cards), I'm not buying the redemption card. The seller can redeem the damn card and then sell it once its in hand. Then I get to see the actual card I'm getting and it only has to go from the seller to me. If the card arrives damaged or does not arrive at all I can file a case through eBay. Otherwise redemption card from seller to me, then redemption card from me to company, then redeemed card from company back to me. Too many steps for something to go wrong and if something goes wrong I'm just screwed.

Don't buy redemption cards, buy REDEEMED cards.
Amen o that,by REDEAMED CARDS.....Thanks guys,you have made me feel like "Hell Yes" keep fighting!!! And that's what I'm going to do
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
Chuck Bartowski

Topps is horrible. The fact that they have the only official MLB license is why I don't collect baseball cards anymore.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
spacefanmick

My BBB complaint was filed today. As I don't see any reason to continue to complain directly to Topps. They have ignored my 100+ emails. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
Spider-Fan

Out of curiousity, have any of these issues been discussed on the NSU message boards or emails to the NSU editors? I'd be curious if they would have the balls to confront Topps about the issue. They carry a lot of weight in the non-sports world. I know that UD has posted on their corporate blog they they are trying to do away with redemptions for cards they do not have prior to the release of sets (not sure if they have or not, but that is their public line) because of customer complaints when they were unable to deliver on the redemptions. Topps is supposed to be a leader in the trading card world, they should be progressive about adopting best practices if they want to maintain that leadership. I would be interested to see how they would respond to an authority like NSU when posed with such a question.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
eldavojohn

Quote:
I know that UD has posted on their corporate blog they they are trying to do away with redemptions for cards they do not have prior to the release of sets (not sure if they have or not, but that is their public line) because of customer complaints when they were unable to deliver on the redemptions. Topps is supposed to be a leader in the trading card world, they should be progressive about adopting best practices if they want to maintain that leadership. I would be interested to see how they would respond to an authority like NSU when posed with such a question.
Frankly, from the number of cases I've seen, I think the burden of proof lies on the companies to show that they actually don't have these cards. Let someone inspect their warehouses. What stops Topps from saying, "Well, he has no recourse and these Hendrix relics are worth way more than we made on this set so ... give 'em a Dwight Gooden auto and tell him to go F himself in the A."

Actually, how is this not a violation of contract of sale by misrepresentation?! We are drawn into a product that promises redemption cards that can be redeemed for already specified items. Some of the sell sheets even show/list said items. We pay money with the perception that these are the agreed upon terms and then when we get the product we realize it's not that product at all! Boggles my mind!
eldavojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
Seahawks fan

I wish the masses knew how bad Topps was with redemptions as of late... I somehow see this happening with this one aswell..

AXL Rose 2013 Topps Archives Real Heavy Metal Auto Redemption Card 1019 | eBay
Old 06-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
usafshelland
Banned

I will concur with everyone else. Don't give up the good fight in this case. Not when you are getting Dwight Gooden for Jimmy! #@#@#@#@ THAT! Unless you are sending me JFK or Lincoln or Washington (or a couple of green Benjamins), I'm not accepting ANY replacement, I don't care what it is. Check the football boards, I believe someone fought with Topps using the Bait & Switch law and actually won his case with the BBB. If I find the link, i'll repost here. Don't give up on Jimmy though!!!!!
usafshelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #25
dd316

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldavojohn View Post
Actually, how is this not a violation of contract of sale by misrepresentation?! We are drawn into a product that promises redemption cards that can be redeemed for already specified items. Some of the sell sheets even show/list said items. We pay money with the perception that these are the agreed upon terms and then when we get the product we realize it's not that product at all! Boggles my mind!
I just can't understand how the board meetings go:

Mystery Employee 1: "Hey, what if we can get Jimi Hendrix relics in the set?"

Mystery Employee 2: "That's a great idea! Put one on the sell sheet and packaging materials ASAP. In the meantime, I'll type up a nice letter to the Hendrix estate, we'll see what happens."

This really was THE big hit in the product. How does a crappy Doc Gooden anything come remotely close? Nobody at the company realizes what a special card collectors sending in redemptions were expecting to receive? Who gives the OK for this to happen?