Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 100

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Omega732

Default Advice for a new prospector

I am new to the hobby and when I broke a box of Bowman Draft last night (which I bought with the slim hope of pulling a Harper), a few packs in I realized that I did not know a single player in the set and, thus, had no idea if I was pulling good cards or not (and no, I did not get a Harper).

How do you guys stay abreast of the up and coming prospects?

Thank you for the advice!
Omega732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM   #3
sportcrazynick
Banned

just an fyi. its probably better to buy bowman chrome or regular bowman if you're hoping to pull a harper auto or anything of that nature
sportcrazynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
metscollector

part of the fun of it is learning about these guys.. which used to be what baseball cards were about in the first place. i think a good place to start is to read tha back of the card! check the rd they were drafted in.. check out their stats. then obviously whenever you get interested in a particular player just google them to learn much more. there are lots of pay sites and subscription sites but you dont need them.
metscollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
DadofTwins

Also, check completed Ebay auctions and see what cards of specificr players sell for.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
nhsportsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metscollector View Post
part of the fun of it is learning about these guys.. which used to be what baseball cards were about in the first place. i think a good place to start is to read tha back of the card! check the rd they were drafted in.. check out their stats. then obviously whenever you get interested in a particular player just google them to learn much more. there are lots of pay sites and subscription sites but you dont need them.
Just a quick point of fact - baseball cards actually started as a way for tobacco, gum, food products companies, etc, to sell more of their product by offering a little something extra.

Gotta love how that small marketing effort turned into the hobby it is today!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #7
metscollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
Just a quick point of fact - baseball cards actually started as a way for tobacco, gum, food products companies, etc, to sell more of their product by offering a little something extra.

Gotta love how that small marketing effort turned into the hobby it is today!
well i realize that obviously.. but the purpose of the actual card was to get a picture of the player and to be able to learn something about them real quick. i just meant this is different than now where the purpose is more about investing
metscollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
kwalter12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega732 View Post
I am new to the hobby and when I broke a box of Bowman Draft last night (which I bought with the slim hope of pulling a Harper), a few packs in I realized that I did not know a single player in the set and, thus, had no idea if I was pulling good cards or not (and no, I did not get a Harper).

How do you guys stay abreast of the up and coming prospects?

Thank you for the advice!
I'll usually just print auto checklists before or a bit after each bowman product comes out and put in the work of researching each player. Once you get some good general information about players you can pick a few that really catch your eye. Track their progress or lack there of during the Minor League Season and know the important stats.. isoP, OPS, K/BB, BABIP, etc.... you really have to enjoy prospecting to do a good job with it or make money. If you don't enjoy prospecting I wouldnt recommend busting a lot of Bowman. Just buy a Harper auto and call it a day
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
Omega732

Thank you all for the tips. I am not looking to dedicate a ton of time to prospecting, I just want to have an idea of who the up and coming guys are besides just the #1 prospect so if I buy more Bowman in the future I reconize at least some of the players. Your advice, and the websites listed above, are helpful to that end.
Omega732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
nhsportsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metscollector View Post
well i realize that obviously.. but the purpose of the actual card was to get a picture of the player and to be able to learn something about them real quick. i just meant this is different than now where the purpose is more about investing
I'm sorry, bud, the point wasn;t to say you were wrong, but to comment of how far the hobby has come from such humble beginnings. My apologies for sounding as though I were lecturing.