Blowout Cards Forums
2018 MLB

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback

Notices

Member Sales/Trade Feedback Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Craig

Default Ebay - request for sales tax

Just a question, since this hasn't happened to me previously.

I bought a card a few days ago for $400, and sent payment on Sunday. The listing included free shipping, and there was no mention of any other costs. Last night, I received a request for ~$35 in sales tax, with the seller saying he can't absorb that cost.

Is this something the seller should have been aware of before the sale, or have others been caught unaware in such a situation? I'm not happy about paying the extra money, but it's for my collection and I don't think the seller is trying to pull a scam or anything so I'll likely just suck it up.

Just curious if others have run into this before, on either end.
Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Diem926

I noticed sellers sometimes post they will charge sale's tax if the buyer is purchasing it in the same state
Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diem926 View Post
I noticed sellers sometimes post they will charge sale's tax if the buyer is purchasing it in the same state
He's in California, my address is in New York. I though maybe New York had taxes of which he wasn't aware - trying to give the benefit of the doubt.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
tonedef2oo8

He’s not claiming it he’s trying to offset ebay fees. If he didn’t say this in the auction then this is not your problem. Tell him had you known it would be more you would have not bud
Old 01-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
no10pin

If it's not called out in the listing don't pay it. Ebay can handle it for people who do actually collect and pay sales tax, but a manual request for extra money isn't part of it.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Orangejello727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig View Post
He's in California, my address is in New York. I though maybe New York had taxes of which he wasn't aware - trying to give the benefit of the doubt.
If the charge sales tax, ill be apart of the checkout for the item. Sales tax can only be charged within state or province. So a person in CA would have to pay sales tax on an item for sale in CA.

If your address is NY, he should not be charging you CA sales tax.
Orangejello727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
TMILL

would not pay. also think seller's trying to offset ebay fees.
Looking for 97-98 UD Game Jersey Iverson, 1998-99 Authen-kicks Iverson, 1999-00 Genuine Coverage Iverson /275, Ewing /450, 1999-00 Hologrfx Shoe time cards of Iverson, Barkley, Robinson, and 1999-00 Apex Net Shredders of Hughes, G.Robinson, D. Robinson
TMILL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
hreed2

Definitely don't pay it. As others have said, he's not being charged any sales tax, he's just trying to get more money out of you.
hreed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
chezball

If it's not stated in the listing tell him to pound sand.
keep your mouth shut beatoff/TDRavens
chezball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #10
Craig

I appreciate the advice, I've told the seller I'm not willing to pay the sales tax. I'll let you know the response.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
dherm360

I would not pay it either, as other stated it should be mentioned and taken at checkout
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
TheLastDude

$35 on a $400 sale actually would be what it comes out to for sales tax in New York, but that still seems odd to me.

Last edited by TheLastDude; 01-02-2018 at 06:35 PM.
TheLastDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:00 AM   #13
NickM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello727 View Post
If the charge sales tax, ill be apart of the checkout for the item. Sales tax can only be charged within state or province. So a person in CA would have to pay sales tax on an item for sale in CA.

If your address is NY, he should not be charging you CA sales tax.
Bingo.
"And when do we want it?"
"It's irrelevant."
NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 AM   #14
webb_jr

As others have said, he can't charge you a sales tax if you're not in the same state. Please share the ID of the seller, especially if he takes a hard line on this issue. That's a bush league move and he deserves to be outed for it.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:47 AM   #15
GoClips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb_jr View Post
As others have said, he can't charge you a sales tax if you're not in the same state. Please share the ID of the seller, especially if he takes a hard line on this issue. That's a bush league move and he deserves to be outed for it.
Agreed on all accounts. Letís see the sellerís ID!
Old 01-05-2018, 02:43 AM   #16
nvsb

Don't pay it. Sounds like he is trying to offset some Ebay fees on the sale
Old 01-05-2018, 05:55 AM   #17
speedyjg13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsb View Post
This right here
speedyjg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
SidVish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyjg13 View Post
This right here
This would be my best guess as well.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
Craig

I took the advice received here and informed the seller that I wouldn't pay the sales tax. He agreed that it should be his responsibility, so now I'm just waiting for him to ship...a tracking number was uploaded a couple of days ago, I'm hoping he drops the package off today.

Thanks as always for the help.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #20
Craig

Another update - still no updated tracking, but the buyer claims that it was mailed early in the week and may be delayed due to weather.

Seems odd that there wouldn't be a single update in several days, but I'm hoping it works out.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 AM   #21
nvsb

Sounds a bit suspect that no tracking has been updated, but hope you get the card
Old 01-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #22
Steveefranchise

Agree with the sentiment overall as well. As far as I know sales tax is only be charged for same state transactions and must be qualified for.

It would come directly attached to your invoice and labeled as such. Anything added after the fact is very fishy.
Steveefranchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #23
Grid

I'm in Illinois, where my business is located. But I also do business in Indiana & Wisconsin. So I have to collect taxes in those states.

Seller might be in Cali, but could own some sort of business holdings in NY state, that forces him to collect tax.

I know we moved on from this, but just wanted to make a statement should anyone have any questions.

I hate having to ship things TO California, as a business. I do not hold any licensees there, but the state forces me to register with the California State Board of Equalization. I then have to collect state tax for the person I'm selling to and mail that over to the BOE.

As a rule of thumb ANYONE that charges you tax for ANY reason needs to do so at the point of sale AND issue you a receipt proving as such. And they MUST be able to turn over their federal tax ID or show you their business license.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #24
TheLastDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
I'm in Illinois, where my business is located. But I also do business in Indiana & Wisconsin. So I have to collect taxes in those states.

Seller might be in Cali, but could own some sort of business holdings in NY state, that forces him to collect tax.

I know we moved on from this, but just wanted to make a statement should anyone have any questions.

I hate having to ship things TO California, as a business. I do not hold any licensees there, but the state forces me to register with the California State Board of Equalization. I then have to collect state tax for the person I'm selling to and mail that over to the BOE.

As a rule of thumb ANYONE that charges you tax for ANY reason needs to do so at the point of sale AND issue you a receipt proving as such. And they MUST be able to turn over their federal tax ID or show you their business license.
Good information to have.
TheLastDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #25
Nitsujkanvor

I see you've gotten some good advice already, but I'll just add a bit to what grid said above. I've never done official business with cards, but I've owned a couple of bars and restaurants. To collect taxes you'd need not just the federal id (EIN) but a state tax ID as well. If the seller can't provide those, he has no business collecting said tax, as he is certainly not turning it over to the state-- to whom it actually belongs.

Businesses small and large are essentially escrow for sales tax revenue. If the business does not release those funds--monthly or quarterly, depending on sales volume-- there are serious consequences. I don't know what would happen if they were being collected fraudulently, but I cannot imagine the state would be amused.

Edit to add: I can't say for sure that the seller is doing anything nefarious. As grid stated though, the fact that it wasn't presented at POS would raise my hackles a bit.

Last edited by Nitsujkanvor; 01-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Nitsujkanvor is offline   Reply With Quote