Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 11-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #101
solt0131

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyH View Post
Took it down pretty quick.
VinnyH
These guys should just set the listing to start at midnight....don't they realize this?
solt0131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #102
kyle1707

High end...

9 out of 10 boxes will give you 150-200 in resale

The 10th will be a money maker..

We all know this...
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #103
Carrbeaz

these cards look like crap, there is chipping then there is complete crap.. wow
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #104
Davesportscards

Glad I stayed faaaaaaaaaaaaaar away.
Davesportscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #105
teambutterfield

Glad I did it...................
teambutterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #106
go_steelers07

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Yep ... you actually could hit something really huge, we honestly have no idea what the ROI of this product will be yet, but damaged cards right out of the pack in a product like this just blows my mind.
based off of other high end baseball, we have a pretty good guesstimate about the ROI......... some will feast, but most will famine.
go_steelers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #107
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambutterfield View Post

Can we see the outside covers of the book?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #108
Tugarpj

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambutterfield View Post

Congrats! Great pull!
Tugarpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #109
gmsieb

Default 5 star

My only question is, will this flop and drop as fast as 5 star football does or did last year. Five star football was a joke last year. One of topps top $$ products and the auto rcs sell for less, than many of their other products. I haven't looked in a while, but a finest /90 ridley would sell for as much/more than a ridley five star /55-99??.
gmsieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #110
benz35

I joined a GB of this for 50, waiting for the video to get uploaded
benz35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #111
kyle1707

2012 Topps Five Star Bryce Harper Mike Trout Darvish Cespedes 8 Auto Booklet 5 | eBay
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #112
cjsayde

Holy crap, one of the chase cards hit the night before release! That's going to be a beauty when they get everyone to sign it...
cjsayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #113
mgugs46

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsayde View Post
Holy crap, one of the chase cards hit the night before release! That's going to be a beauty when they get everyone to sign it...
IF they get everyone to sign it

As it is middlebrooks may have to sit out 2013 just to sign his redemptions from bowman, finest, bowman chrome

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #114
fitch123

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsayde View Post
Luckily there are hundreds of chase cards in this product. Bat knobs, dual logo patches, 6 and 8 way autos, bat plates, jumbo auto patches, cut autographs, dual auto patches of trout, darvish, harper, pujols, etc.

Last edited by fitch123; 11-13-2012 at 10:19 PM.
fitch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM   #115
fitch123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsieb View Post
My only question is, will this flop and drop as fast as 5 star football does or did last year. Five star football was a joke last year. One of topps top $$ products and the auto rcs sell for less, than many of their other products. I haven't looked in a while, but a finest /90 ridley would sell for as much/more than a ridley five star /55-99??.
High end baseball doesn't rely on RC values. There are hundreds of cards in this that are worth more than the best pulls in five star football.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #116
chrisxacosta

i just order a box, with my luck ill get all yankees in it. which i totally hate.
damn yankees
Old 11-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #117
edhou1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisxacosta View Post
i just order a box, with my luck ill get all yankees in it. which i totally hate.
damn yankees
ha, are you trying to anti-jinx yourself so that you pull a Babe Ruth cut auto in your box?
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #118
chrisxacosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhou1 View Post
ha, are you trying to anti-jinx yourself so that you pull a Babe Ruth cut auto in your box?
you re one wise man hah
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #119
Carrbeaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch123 View Post
High end baseball doesn't rely on RC values. There are hundreds of cards in this that are worth more than the best pulls in five star football.
Yes, but high end cards should not have a product that has chipping and dog ears on the corners that would make you think it was handled with sandpaper gloves.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #120
fitch123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrbeaz View Post
Yes, but high end cards should not have a product that has chipping and dog ears on the corners that would make you think it was handled with sandpaper gloves.
As was said before, all high end products suffer from chipping issues.

Also, you are making this assertion after seeing the contents of 2-3 boxes? Seems like a pretty small sample size to be making generalizations off of, no?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 PM   #121
Carrbeaz

Quote:
As was said before, all high end products suffer from chipping issues.

Also, you are making this assertion after seeing the contents of 2-3 boxes? Seems like a pretty small sample size to be making generalizations off of, no?
Based off seeing that from base cards, absolutely.. High end cards from Upper Deck and Panini don't seem to have chipping issues... See National Treasures Football and Basketball, are you seriously excusing chipping on a $500 a pack retail product?

Last edited by Carrbeaz; 11-14-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Carrbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #122
fitch123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223 View Post
The Cup hockey is just as expensive as this stuff and has been produced for the last 7 years. Chipping was/is a big issue on many of the cards. It's just sort of accepted and people live with it. I suspect that most of the angst here over the chipping is because people who collect baseball often look to grade their cards so condition is heavily scrutinized moreso than hockey.

Personally chipping doesn't bother me really. I don't grade anything either so I suppose that's a big part of why. I have well over 100 Cup hockey cards and I'd be hard pressed to find 10 that didn't have a chip or some other end of the world flaw.

And before the "well when a product cost xx amount you should get......" argument comes along remember that pro athletes don't look at a stack of cards and sign each one like they're gold. Bowman Chrome cards could bend around a tree so a guy who signs them and tosses them in a pile isn't doing them much harm. A thicker patch or jersey card does not have the same tolerance for handling.

One thing that UD did do to cut down on some of it is to use more white borders and edges. The chips are still there but you have to look for them. I'm not in the preactice of looking at my cards with a loupe so there's that.
Quote:
Based off seeing that from base cards, absolutely.. High end cards from Upper Deck and Panini don't seem to have chipping issues... See National Treasures Football and Basketball, are you seriously excusing chipping on a $500 a pack retail product?
UD certainly has this problem. Not sure about panini because I don't buy garbage.

Not excusing it, just saying it is the norm if you have thick stock cards signed on card and hand packed. They go through a lot of hands before it reaches the consumer.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #123
Carrbeaz

Quote:
UD certainly has this problem. Not sure about panini because I don't buy garbage.

Not excusing it, just saying it is the norm if you have thick stock cards signed on card and hand packed. They go through a lot of hands before it reaches the consumer.
While much of what Panini releases is pretty bad, design but not quality wise.. if you are not familiar with their National Treasures line then you really might want to take a look at some of the cards sometime to see how a high end product can look without chipping/bad corners. For both football and basketball this is the grail when it comes to getting the best rookies for the product, and the quiality is bar none, so I know it's possible.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #124
fitch123

Quote:
While much of what Panini releases is pretty bad, design but not quality wise.. if you are not familiar with their National Treasures line then you really might want to take a look at some of the cards sometime to see how a high end product can look without chipping/bad corners. For both football and basketball this is the grail when it comes to getting the best rookies for the product, and the quiality is bar none, so I know it's possible.
Victor Cruz 2010 National Treasures Century Gold 24 25 RC Auto BGS 9 5 | eBay

2011 Doug Williams National Treasures Auto Ring of Honor Autograph 50 Redskins | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRETT-FAVRE-...item3ccc6c872c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRETT-FAVRE-...item3ccc6c872c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Nationa...item416e290cee

I suppose its a bit easier when they use sticker autos in a product that costs $500

to me that is much worse than seeing some chipping on the cards from being handled by the players actually signing them
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #125
Kingbudd

Quote:
Panini is just as bad. Most NT designs have white borders so seeing chipping is difficult. Almost everyone I have ever graded never rates higher then a 9. Most average in the 8's just like Upper Deck Exquisites.
Kingbudd is offline   Reply With Quote