Blowout Cards Forums
Wave MON

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

View Poll Results: Right now, where do you rank Lebron all time?
GOAT 149 25.91%
#2 212 36.87%
#3 70 12.17%
#4 37 6.43%
#5 30 5.22%
Oustide Top 5 77 13.39%
Voters: 575. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #476
rhigh2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj.cataldo View Post
All of these arguments can be skewed multiple ways to favor Lebron/Jordan and several of them conveniently omit context (and some are flat out redundant). See below for response
Very nice response. I'm sure you already know, but you left out quite a few things that lebron will obviously not catch him in (Scoring titles, DPOY, number of 1st team NBA defense to name a few.)

I also agree that lebron will tally more numbers by the time he's done, but I don't see how that would elevate him over MJ when you consider how many more games lebron will have played. Does anyone think Karl Malone is better than MJ even though he has almost 5,000 more points, 8,000 more rebounds, and almost the same number of assists?

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/152884306@N08/albums
rhigh2390 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 PM   #477
6celtics33

It really is simple as saying Lebron’s light doesn’t burn as bright as Jordans did but it will burn longer and you can argue that it’s better to have him for that extra amount of time. That’s certainly plausible. I wouldn’t but I get why some would.
6celtics33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #478
COMCMax

When you can play at his level at his age with his build I'd hold off on his place in the history books. He's not retiring anytime soon IMO and is getting better with age. I'll wait for the day he hangs up his jersey so I can avoid eating crow 5 years later when this thread gets bumped lol

Today. I give the edge to MJ if the world happens end.

*just realized thread title says right now..

Last edited by COMCMax; 05-10-2018 at 06:34 PM.
COMCMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #479
6celtics33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigh2390 View Post
Very nice response. I'm sure you already know, but you left out quite a few things that lebron will obviously not catch him in (Scoring titles, DPOY, number of 1st team NBA defense to name a few.)

I also agree that lebron will tally more numbers by the time he's done, but I don't see how that would elevate him over MJ when you consider how many more games lebron will have played. Does anyone think Karl Malone is better than MJ even though he has almost 5,000 more points, 8,000 more rebounds, and almost the same number of assists?
Nope and they wouldnít either except this time itís Lebron and not Karl

Like I said, moving target

I just smh to people who think itís all about 6-0 in the finals. There is a lot more to Jordan than that.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:55 PM   #480
rj.cataldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhigh2390 View Post

Thanks for your response. My main purpose was not to list Jordanís accolades, but to respond to an argument that seemed to have widely been regarded as a strong pro Lebron argument that I thought was flawed. My point at the end is, you can use numbers to tell whatever story you want. Lebron has passed Jordan in several categories, so has Kobe. But that is without context for games played etc. I also am not going to argue that Jordan is a superior player than Lebron in every facet of the game, itís just not true.

The argument, while based in factual win totals/stats, ultimately was without context in my opinion. Choosing successes of some players without Jordan while ignoring the accomplishments of Lebrons teammates without Lebron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rj.cataldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 PM   #481
mj2kb

Lebron is closing the gap with MJ.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:41 PM   #482
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2kb View Post
Lebron is closing the gap with MJ.
quantity > quality?
LOW copy is better than NO copy!
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:43 PM   #483
jpstudioedge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6celtics33 View Post
It really is simple as saying Lebronís light doesnít burn as bright as Jordans did but it will burn longer and you can argue that itís better to have him for that extra amount of time. Thatís certainly plausible. I wouldnít but I get why some would.
It burns longer due to performance enhancing drugs. Not sure why its hard to see that. They help with recovery from game to game. Look what happened to lebron when they were going to test for HGH his first year back with cleveland?

Lebron jumps from stacked team to stacked team. He is like a Durant.
jpstudioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #484
sucram

Jordan
Kobe
LeBron
Old 05-25-2018, 11:49 PM   #485
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
quantity > quality?
This is quality too. It's not as if LeBron is dragging along, racking up #'s. He's still the best in the game right now; and he shows it night in and night out.

There is this perception that Jordan was omniscient in his career, when in fact he had some pretty horrible playoff games. There's a mountain of 9 for 25 type games w/ 6+ TO's from him, including the NBA finals. Some games won, some lost but in the eyes of many; Jordan never losing an NBA final means he can never be surpassed as the greatest.

I don't believe that to be true. I think there can come a time when LeBron passes MJ; but as of right now, I voted him #2.
Ottomatic- "Facts, especially on 99% white Blowout. If I was Blowout I would delete political threads immediately. If an outsider read one they would vomit and then probably try to get the site shut down, it's that bad."
NeedChapmans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:51 PM   #486
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedChapmans View Post
This is quality too. It's not as if LeBron is dragging along, racking up #'s. He's still the best in the game right now; and he shows it night in and night out.

There is this perception that Jordan was omniscient in his career, when in fact he had some pretty horrible playoff games. There's a mountain of 9 for 25 type games w/ 6+ TO's from him, including the NBA finals. Some games won, some lost but in the eyes of many; Jordan never losing an NBA final means he can never be surpassed as the greatest.

I don't believe that to be true. I think there can come a time when LeBron passes MJ; but as of right now, I voted him #2.
i hear ya. the game is so much different now, its so difficult to compare
Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #487
6celtics33

I'm a hater but I'm even a fan of how he has played this postseason. I won't deny how great he's been in year 15. It truly is incredible as a basketball fan. He has like 1/3 of his career 40 point playoff games in this postseason. It's year 15. I think it's easy to be a prisoner of the moment due to this. He is definitely closing the gap but I tend to look at the totality of the 15 years, positive and negative. If we only are thinking of Lebron as this postseason Lebron then of course it's easy to make a case for best ever.

He's firmly planted himself in that top group with 6-7 other people. Regardless of what order each person ranks them, the group is strong company.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #488
tazz1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstudioedge View Post

Lebron jumps from stacked team to stacked team. He is like a Durant.
Oh boy, these CAVS are STACKED! and his first NBA Finals Cavs team was STACKED! LOL
tazz1213 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:02 AM   #489
ThoseBackPages

i think Lebron is more Jeter then Mantle
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #490
BlueXtreme

Quote:
Than*
BlueXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 AM   #491
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXtreme View Post
Than*
Old 05-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #492
BlueXtreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6celtics33 View Post
I'm a hater but I'm even a fan of how he has played this postseason. I won't deny how great he's been in year 15. It truly is incredible as a basketball fan. He has like 1/3 of his career 40 point playoff games in this postseason. It's year 15. I think it's easy to be a prisoner of the moment due to this. He is definitely closing the gap but I tend to look at the totality of the 15 years, positive and negative. If we only are thinking of Lebron as this postseason Lebron then of course it's easy to make a case for best ever.

He's firmly planted himself in that top group with 6-7 other people. Regardless of what order each person ranks them, the group is strong company.
I like this post. As much as it’s a possibility to be a prisoner of the moment, I think it’s just as easy to be a prisoner of the past. Memories can be glorified. “The good ole days”. Plenty of people talk favorably about past styles of play and their disdain for the present game. Guess it’s one of the things that goes both ways. I just like good basketball lol
BlueXtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #493
broncomanning18

Number 2, the gap is too big for me, he will never pass it. Jordan quit to play baseball for his dying dad. He missed out on prime years.
broncomanning18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:23 AM   #494
ninjacookies

Quote:
I agree with this. He's the model of consistency and a great ambassador for the game. But Mantle/Jordan will always have the nostalgia edge and lore. And were more influential in molding and popularizing their respective sports.
ninjacookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:28 AM   #495
cking

I rank Lebron #112 of all time

John Starks is #111

Greg Oden is #113
cking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:37 AM   #496
8collector34

I am now in a state of denial.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:45 AM   #497
Hess687

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncomanning18 View Post
Number 2, the gap is too big for me, he will never pass it. Jordan quit to play baseball for his dying dad. He missed out on prime years.
Or because he was a gambling addict who couldn't admit it and was facing a suspension.
Hess687 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:46 AM   #498
jpstudioedge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz1213 View Post
Oh boy, these CAVS are STACKED! and his first NBA Finals Cavs team was STACKED! LOL
Very predictable response. However when lebron left Miami he had KYRIE, got rid of wiggins and got Kevin LOVE. Another BIG 3. The fact that kyrie left was lebrons fault.

The teams current roster is lebrons problem. However, they step up better than most people think.
jpstudioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:59 AM   #499
bootan

Lebron is playing great this post season. His numbers are fantastic.

But who is he playing against?? Not one superstar he has faced these playoffs.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:02 AM   #500
Dnic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootan View Post
Lebron is playing great this post season. His numbers are fantastic.

But who is he playing against?? Not one superstar he has faced these playoffs.
Well most times he is playing by himself against a whole team I believe lol
Dnic is offline   Reply With Quote