Blowout Cards Forums
Wave 12

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > The National Sports Collectors Convention

Notices

The National Sports Collectors Convention This is a seasonal forum that will run from about April through August each year.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 AM   #1
OLDPAPER

Default My tboughts/comments on the 2018 National

Hi everyone. This is just my 2nd National. My first was in AC in 2016 and I only went 2 days. For this one, I was there all 5. I did the Super VIP package.

1. Not much to do near the IX center at all...glad that I rented a car. I stayed about 20 minutes out in Brunswick...decent enough hotel for $420 for 6 nights.

2 I thought that the venue was excellent for an event this size, but in 2018...lets get some reliable internet for the attendees and vendors....completely inexcusable and embarrassing.

3. Really liked all of the seating available in the food court area. I am a bigger guy and sitting down when needed is critical...more on that later.

4. As for the VIP room....got real crowded between 2pm and 3pm on Wednesday....seemed that the lines for the food and free autos were intertwined and a bit of a mess. I chose to sit all of that out and talk to fellow attendees at my table. Also met up to sell of my auto tickets.

5. Regarding the VIP room....used it a few times to rip some wax and get away from the floor...and to use the restroom. Would have been a nice touch to have some pitchers of ice water or tea available for the VIPs. I guess that is some agreement with the venue to get you to buy their $3 of water....or they just chose not to offer it.

6. VIP parking was fine...I got there a bit late some days and had to hoof it a bit, but no more than 5 minutes or so.

7. Plenty of room on the show floor to move around without feeling too crowded. Even on Saturday, it never seemed all that busy or crowded but I know it was....just that the layout allowed for plenty of room.

8. My biggest pet peeve is dealers having boxes to go thru and no chairs to sit in...I will never get it and those dealers did not get my business. I was prepared to spend a few grand on bargain boxes and only spent a couple hundred.

9. My few grand still was spent however...just on showcase items. Picked up 4 1993 SP Jeter PSA 7....1 Jeter Auto...a few Murphy Jeter RCs and some Topps gold. Bought and ripped too much wax....picked up some real nice raw vintage as well. Also a Mario Lemieux Topps BGS 7.5....Barkley Star 1985 BGS 8

10. The people at Topps need to be severely beaten....totally bush league and unprofessional with all of the yelling, screaming, chanting and carrying on. People are trying to conduct serious business with all of that nonsense in the background. I felt awful for any dealers within 100 feet of them.

11. All of the dealers that I encountered were pleasant and eager to answer questions and work deals. Nobody stood out as being a jerk...which is unusual, but encouraging.

12. One thing about going to the National for a 2nd time is that you become desensitized to all of the amazing cards and memorabilia that you see. It is a bit of a shame that I feel that way...but every table just has so much amazing stuff, it all just blends into the background at some point.

13. I was real excited to go for all 5 days, but I don't think I will do it again....I was there from 1 to 8 On Wednesday....10-6 on Thursday.....1-6 on Friday....12-5 on Saturday and 11-2 on Sunday....that was more than enough for me to spend what I wanted to spend and see what I wanted to see. It was nice to feel like I was never rushed and that is the good part about going all 5 days. Might scale it back a day next time I go.

Thanks to everyone for an overall amazing experience!
Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #2
CCSportsCards

I hear ya on time. I skipped Saturday after being there every minute of Tuesday-Friday.
Wednesday 8-8 crushed my soul
Old 08-06-2018, 04:52 AM   #3
WSCards5

I get what you mean about the chair thing but as dealers we are only allowed so many chairs depending on the size of the booth we purchased. Which is ridiculous as well. My buddy and I had a 10x15 space and we're only allowed 3 chairs and there is 2 of us and he put one chair out by the bargain bins and by day 2 it had already been taken and we can't get more.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:01 AM   #4
MichaelDang

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSCards5 View Post
I get what you mean about the chair thing but as dealers we are only allowed so many chairs depending on the size of the booth we purchased. Which is ridiculous as well. My buddy and I had a 10x15 space and we're only allowed 3 chairs and there is 2 of us and he put one chair out by the bargain bins and by day 2 it had already been taken and we can't get more.
They didn't let you bring your own chairs?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
WSCards5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDang View Post
They didn't let you bring your own chairs?
When you drive 15 hours and you have thousands of dollars in expensive you pack the car with as much inventory as you can and chairs are the last thing you worry about. We didn't get one chair last year in Chicago because they ran out. I'm just letting people understand from the other side and know that it's frustrating for dealers as well.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #6
Big35Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDPAPER View Post
8. My biggest pet peeve is dealers having boxes to go thru and no chairs to sit in...I will never get it and those dealers did not get my business. I was prepared to spend a few grand on bargain boxes and only spent a couple hundred.

13. I was real excited to go for all 5 days, but I don't think I will do it again....I was there from 1 to 8 On Wednesday....10-6 on Thursday.....1-6 on Friday....12-5 on Saturday and 11-2 on Sunday....that was more than enough for me to spend what I wanted to spend and see what I wanted to see. It was nice to feel like I was never rushed and that is the good part about going all 5 days. Might scale it back a day next time I go.

I agree on the chairs. It was surprising just how few had chairs available. I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad in Chicago last year. It ended up working out better for me, though. It forced me to concentrate on higher priced cards and with me flying in versus driving in, that made it easier not dealing with a lot of bulk.

Last year I was scheduled for 2 full days, but only ended up doing a day and a half. It was mainly due to personal things that had happened last July that made it hard to fully enjoy the show. This year I planned on 2.5 days and it seemed like that was more than enough. I'll probably plan for the same Weds-Thurs-Friday attendance next year in Chicago. Since I will be driving, this will allow me to have fun going through bargain boxes again.
Please don't message me offering to buy something I posted in a pickup thread - I will post it in the buy/sell section if I am looking to move it. And unsolicited messages offering to sell something will be deleted.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
OLDPAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSCards5 View Post
When you drive 15 hours and you have thousands of dollars in expensive you pack the car with as much inventory as you can and chairs are the last thing you worry about. We didn't get one chair last year in Chicago because they ran out. I'm just letting people understand from the other side and know that it's frustrating for dealers as well.
My advice would be to buy a couple of folding chairs at Wal Mart or Target when you get to town...$20-30 could help you secure hundreds of dollars or more in additional business. To me...no chair means about your customer, you donít care and I will spend elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
WSCards5

Quote:
My advice would be to buy a couple of folding chairs at Wal Mart or Target when you get to town...$20-30 could help you secure hundreds of dollars or more in additional business. To me...no chair means about your customer, you donít care and I will spend elsewhere.
That's great advise for people who do mostly bargain bins and have the space. I had 3 three rows of $1 cards and did really well out if them with no chair out front. If they are good $1 boxes people are going to by chair or no chair. If anyone wanted one I would have been more then happy to lend them mine if asked. Also saw a couple guys carrying the small folding chairs since they new they we're coming to dig.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
jataman2612

Quote:
2 I thought that the venue was excellent for an event this size, but in 2018...lets get some reliable internet for the attendees and vendors....completely inexcusable and embarrassing.
From what I understand, they had a Wifi system installed a few years ago but for some odd reason, did not make it available to anyone. This makes zero sense to me.

Also possibly interested in current Indians (Not crazy about current card designs though)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
papercards

Quote:
Hi everyone. This is just my 2nd National. My first was in AC in 2016 and I only went 2 days. For this one, I was there all 5. I did the Super VIP package.

1. Not much to do near the IX center at all...glad that I rented a car. I stayed about 20 minutes out in Brunswick...decent enough hotel for $420 for 6 nights.

3. Really liked all of the seating available in the food court area. I am a bigger guy and sitting down when needed is critical...more on that later.

4. As for the VIP room....got real crowded between 2pm and 3pm on Wednesday....seemed that the lines for the food and free autos were intertwined and a bit of a mess. I chose to sit all of that out and talk to fellow attendees at my table. Also met up to sell of my auto tickets.

5. Regarding the VIP room....used it a few times to rip some wax and get away from the floor...and to use the restroom. Would have been a nice touch to have some pitchers of ice water or tea available for the VIPs. I guess that is some agreement with the venue to get you to buy their $3 of water....or they just chose not to offer it.

6. VIP parking was fine...I got there a bit late some days and had to hoof it a bit, but no more than 5 minutes or so.

7. Plenty of room on the show floor to move around without feeling too crowded. Even on Saturday, it never seemed all that busy or crowded but I know it was....just that the layout allowed for plenty of room.

9. My few grand still was spent however...just on showcase items. Picked up 4 1993 SP Jeter PSA 7....1 Jeter Auto...a few Murphy Jeter RCs and some Topps gold. Bought and ripped too much wax....picked up some real nice raw vintage as well. Also a Mario Lemieux Topps BGS 7.5....Barkley Star 1985 BGS 8

10. The people at Topps need to be severely beaten....totally bush league and unprofessional with all of the yelling, screaming, chanting and carrying on. People are trying to conduct serious business with all of that nonsense in the background. I felt awful for any dealers within 100 feet of them.

11. All of the dealers that I encountered were pleasant and eager to answer questions and work deals. Nobody stood out as being a jerk...which is unusual, but encouraging.

12. One thing about going to the National for a 2nd time is that you become desensitized to all of the amazing cards and memorabilia that you see. It is a bit of a shame that I feel that way...but every table just has so much amazing stuff, it all just blends into the background at some point.

Nice recap. I just had a question for you regarding #8. We only had a few boxes out, and even though we didn't have many, they did very well. We didn't have chairs out for people, and we only had the two my wife and I were sitting in. For awhile, we also had a bunch of Sports Illustrated out (until we sold them all, thank goodness!), which are tougher to go through by just standing there. What we did, was we would offer them to come back and give them our chair to look through. That way, they weren't in front of everyone else, and they could look at their leisure. When someone requested a chair, we just gave ours to them.

Next year in Chicago I will probably have up to 80 boxes out, so I will probably have extra chairs in the back. So my question would be, if you dont' see chairs out, do you skip the table completely? I know time is of the essence at something this big...but if you would see we have all these boxes and no chairs out, do you end up asking if you can borrow one, or do you just go right on by? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:04 PM   #11
scoobysnacks4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercards View Post
Nice recap. I just had a question for you regarding #8. We only had a few boxes out, and even though we didn't have many, they did very well. We didn't have chairs out for people, and we only had the two my wife and I were sitting in. For awhile, we also had a bunch of Sports Illustrated out (until we sold them all, thank goodness!), which are tougher to go through by just standing there. What we did, was we would offer them to come back and give them our chair to look through. That way, they weren't in front of everyone else, and they could look at their leisure. When someone requested a chair, we just gave ours to them.

Next year in Chicago I will probably have up to 80 boxes out, so I will probably have extra chairs in the back. So my question would be, if you dont' see chairs out, do you skip the table completely? I know time is of the essence at something this big...but if you would see we have all these boxes and no chairs out, do you end up asking if you can borrow one, or do you just go right on by? Thanks for the feedback.
I do this at shows as well. A chair just sitting out front is sometimes in the way of people looking. If asked I am always willing to give up mine to a customer if I don't have an extra.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
OLDPAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by papercards View Post

I go on by...those that are younger, in better shape, and donít have back problems have little issue standing there on a hard floor and bent over...I just canít/wonít do it.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
fulltritty

Quote:

With the VIP Party that is the fault of the National and TriStar. They sold 700+ VIP passes this year and 44 of 50 Platinum passes sold out. That is way too many people to enjoy a party and get 3 autograph signers. Thank God I went Platinum 3 years ago because the lines for VIP to get the free signers were ridiculous this year except for Sunday.

The VIP has never had water or snacks anytime in the 8 years I have been going except for the food in the party. I have seen donuts in the dealers room though in Chicago.

The dealer from Florida that Topps brings in every year has to be the most annoying person I have ever seen. Believe me, I have talked to poor dealers around the Topps booth and they hate it. You can hear that stupid Topps, Topps, Topps chant all the way up front in the autograph lines.

Topps successfully muted him a bit at their Meet n Greet by bringing in the HQ sports trivia guy who reminds me of the NCIS New Orleans analyst Sebastian. Now that guy was funny and made the party enjoyable.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #14
OLDPAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltritty View Post
With the VIP Party that is the fault of the National and TriStar. They sold 700+ VIP passes this year and 44 of 50 Platinum passes sold out. That is way too many people to enjoy a party and get 3 autograph signers. Thank God I went Platinum 3 years ago because the lines for VIP to get the free signers were ridiculous this year except for Sunday.

The VIP has never had water or snacks anytime in the 8 years I have been going except for the food in the party. I have seen donuts in the dealers room though in Chicago.

The dealer from Florida that Topps brings in every year has to be the most annoying person I have ever seen. Believe me, I have talked to poor dealers around the Topps booth and they hate it. You can hear that stupid Topps, Topps, Topps chant all the way up front in the autograph lines.

Topps successfully muted him a bit at their Meet n Greet by bringing in the HQ sports trivia guy who reminds me of the NCIS New Orleans analyst Sebastian. Now that guy was funny and made the party enjoyable.
Hi name is Al Narz...I have bought and sold from him over the years a few times at shows in Florida..`1:1 he is a good guy and I have had no issues with him....but get him in front of a microphone and rude chaos ensues....
Old 08-07-2018, 12:27 PM   #15
griffan15

In regards to the chair situation, this is my experience as a dealer.

1) I always bring padded stools to use for me and a helper and leave all folding chairs for customers. If I can't bring my stools, I stand and let the customers have the chairs. Dealers, it's rude for you to sit while people are standing and spending their money with you. Additionally, it's just a good sales technique to help engage with the customers.

2) Make sure that your $1 discount boxes are away from the activity of showcases if you don't want people going through your boxes and blocking potential big ticket sales. For me, I usually have my discount boxes behind by showcases (people can actually enter my booth and sit at a table within the booth).

3) Sorry if this is insulting, but 99% of the people who need a chair are usually the ones who sit for an hour to spend $10. I'll cater to you, but you're usually not spending the type of money that demands my full attention. If the OP spends thousands of dollars in the $1 boxes, you're a one in a million type customer. Hopefully we'll meet one day as I'll offer you a chair like anyone else, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #16
OLDPAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffan15 View Post
In regards to the chair situation, this is my experience as a dealer.

1) I always bring padded stools to use for me and a helper and leave all folding chairs for customers. If I can't bring my stools, I stand and let the customers have the chairs. Dealers, it's rude for you to sit while people are standing and spending their money with you. Additionally, it's just a good sales technique to help engage with the customers.

2) Make sure that your $1 discount boxes are away from the activity of showcases if you don't want people going through your boxes and blocking potential big ticket sales. For me, I usually have my discount boxes behind by showcases (people can actually enter my booth and sit at a table within the booth).

3) Sorry if this is insulting, but 99% of the people who need a chair are usually the ones who sit for an hour to spend $10. I'll cater to you, but you're usually not spending the type of money that demands my full attention. If the OP spends thousands of dollars in the $1 boxes, you're a one in a million type customer. Hopefully we'll meet one day as I'll offer you a chair like anyone else, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I know that you realize that there are more boxes available than $1 boxes....I spent a several hundred dollars with a vintage dealer that had $20-$100 cards in his boxes....My point is that regardless of the cost of the cards...if you have many boxes of cards for people to go thru, have chairs available...you seem to get this.

Great point in keeping them away from the higher dollar showcase stuff...this seems to be common sense to me. I set up at small shows in Florida, usually with 2 tables....one has my bargain boxes and the other has my showcases.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #17
pryantexas

The wifi issue was completely unacceptable particularly because some phone carriers (like mine: ATT) had almost no signal inside the hall... to make matters worse, the phone battery drains trying to get that weak signal.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #18
meelypops

Love reading this! Man I had some crazy jeters during the show, was solid, But they didnít last long

Til next year man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #19
Platman

Quote:
Hi name is Al Narz...I have bought and sold from him over the years a few times at shows in Florida..`1:1 he is a good guy and I have had no issues with him....but get him in front of a microphone and rude chaos ensues....
Alan is my LCS owner and has been in business 20+ years as I started going there in 1998. He came up with the Pack Wars in his store and today still packs people in his store for events and specials. Topps got wind of this ages and got him as a consultant. He's been doing the All Star FanFests, ProBowl Events (when they had the license) and of course the Nat.

He is a real good guy and sorry to hear the neg feedback. But Pack Wars is not setup for dealers who have other things to do but is geared to fans, collectors and kids.

I will say the speaker system provided was way louder than needed, which is a first. That's in contrast to DC's FanFest in July where it was way too low. I get that it interfered and is too bad it was a bit over done.

All said, I'd take the Rip Master in my ears than all the BO and Rip Bastards in my nose who were way too into cards over personal hygiene.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #20
trmpetyjo

Someone is missing out by not standing at the entrance and selling light weight folding chairs! They need one that double as a backpack.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #21
scoobysnacks4u

I know as a buyer when the frenzy started at the topps booth I got away from that area as quickly as possible. I could hold my breath when passing the BO dudes, but there was no escaping all the foolishness from the topps booth.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
jam92102

I really enjoyed this thread. Gives me a sense of what it's like. I doubt I'll get to go next year but with it being so close I should try. It's just hard to dump the kids off on the wife while I go blow money.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #23
OLDPAPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam92102 View Post
I really enjoyed this thread. Gives me a sense of what it's like. I doubt I'll get to go next year but with it being so close I should try. It's just hard to dump the kids off on the wife while I go blow money.
Glad you enjoyed it. We all have different perspectives and expectations from the National. I doubt I will go to Chicago next year, but plan on hitting AC in 2020 and Cleveland again in 2022. If you can pull it off for just a day or two and you are near Chicago....do what you can to make it happen. Plenty of things to do for the family while you are "investing for their future in sports cards"