Blowout Cards Forums
Wave TUE

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > The National Sports Collectors Convention

Notices

The National Sports Collectors Convention This is a seasonal forum that will run from about April through August each year.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
jewcer2k5

Default National #3 in the books.....Some thoughts

Well this year was better than the previous 2 and it wasn't even close. I read a lot of these things and from a dealer perspective I feel like we (me and Zach) are the same page as Meelypops with a lot of things. I will follow the format he posted in because it is organized and makes a lot of sense.

Set-Up
-We have never done the early dealer setup and regret it every year. Next year I think we are going to. Like he said a lot of deals get done there. We setup early on Wednesday and the only benefit to the early setup to us is that everyone has already setup so its quick and painless to drive in and unload.
-We also took an entire 10x30 (2x 10x15) section up this year and man does it make a difference. Last year we packed into about 1.5 booths and sold off the additional part and we were cramped the entire time. It was great to spread out and gave more people a chance to look at our stock and make deals. We were able to strategically put like items near each other which kept us very organized for most of the time.
-Like Meely, we got a really nice sign and hung it up above our booth. I haven't uploaded pics yet but will later on in the week. We got a lot of compliments from buyers/sellers on the sign. The only thing I will be adding next year is a piece below it noting our booth #'s. We had about 25 people a day asking for it (I guess the huge signs with the row #'s at the top of the aisle's didnt help everyone).

Cost
-Yea this stuff is expensive. Between booths, driving, hotels, food, drink, drink, drink, and everything else the numbers add up. I'd estimate we were into the space for the same $7-$10k as Meely but it was well worth it.

Buying
-Oh man do people wanna move cards at this show. We made multiple $10k+ purchases throughout the weekend whether it be a handful of cards or a few rows. People were eager to make fair deals and then shop around for what they wanted. We had people come up to as multiple times to sell what they had picked up or what was in their hotel room.
-We didn't really have an issue of people making other deals at our table. It has been an issue in the past but this year it didn't happen. It could be because we were more spread out but in more control but I just don't know.

Inventory
-We really stepped up our game this year. We had boxes to be looked through with cards ranging from $.25 to $50 in them. People were crushing em all weekend long. Those boxes alone brought in nearly $10k of revenue. -We made sure we hit every sport - Baseball, basketball, football, hockey, soccer, golf, wrestling and Nascar. A lot of people commented that we were one of the few with the last 4 which ended up generating repeat customers that couldn't find stuff else where.
-Though we bought a ton we didn't really have to put much of it out. We actually had to move some things last minute so we can fit our new purchases back in the car.

Selling
-We priced nearly everything we had and it was definitely a lot easier to make deals that way.
-We were very aggressive with our pricing which is probably why we sold a ton of stuff through out the weekend.
-I can't stand people pulling out a card, asking for a price then making an offer after you give them a better price than is on the sticker. It is a major pet peeve of mine and very frustrating. People like that are the excuse other dealers use to over price their inventory. Luckily whenever someone did it they still came to the price I gave them because it was already damn good. If you don't know your prices or your pricing strategy it is very hard to sell.

Re-Cap
This was a hell of a year. We spent more than we brought in which is the goal of every show. Our business has grown drastically in the last year and I see it growing at a similar rate again. Again I will agree with Meely that some people don't know what it is to be a dealer. I talked to multiple people that were set up that complained they had a lot of inventory (6 figures) but had under 5 figures of sales. They are probably buying wrong and trying to sell high to make up for it. This is not a business for everyone. While it may look easy it is a ton of work and frustration sometimes. We got our booth back by the concessions in Chicago for next year. The booths sold out FAST this year as we got a worse spot with a better priority than 2 years ago. This tells me people are taking advantage of the system by getting booths that are too large and splitting them among a ton of people. Hopefully they put a stop to this so real dealers can get better spots and give better deals to all the customers. Look forward to meeting more people next year.

Last edited by jewcer2k5; 08-10-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
prospects

Do you own a card shop?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospects View Post
Do you own a card shop?
We are planning on opening one soon.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
ThoseBackPages

BRAVO!

well written and great to read
LOW copy is better than NO copy!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
darscards35kd

Good stuff glad it was a successful show for ya!!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
7nohitter

Great write up....I gotta say, I've admired your purchases and strategies from afar, but you definitely know what you're doing!
Continued success!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
celtics

Do you have a picture of your booth? I am curious if I bought from you.

Great write up!
Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
jewcer2k5

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtics View Post
Do you have a picture of your booth? I am curious if I bought from you.

Great write up!
When I am done sorting all the purchases I will post some pics and thanks.