Blowout Cards Forums
NFL Draft

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASKETBALL

Notices

BASKETBALL Post your Basketball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 10-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
mwash1983

Default Ceiling On Base Prizm RCs?

What do you guys think? Probably will forget some of them.

Kawhi Leonard
Kyrie Irving
Anthony Davis
Giannis
Karl Anthony Towns
Devin Booker
Lonzo Ball
Ben Simmons
Markell Fultz
Joel Embiid
Wiggins
DeAndre Fox
mwash1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
LeonfromNC

If kawhi can consistently be a $50 card then the rest of this list can be too...

I say towns and embiid will be the two that could get there for sure.
LeonfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
mindcycle

If some of those guys can play at Kawhi's level then $50 isn't unreasonable. Maybe more if they get beyond his accomplishments. Besides Irving none of those guys have a ring yet or will be in MVP talks anytime soon besides maybe Giannis if he keeps up at his current pace and Davis. Kawhi earned it IMO, what did any of those other guys do?

Prices for almost everyone on that list besides the guys I mentioned is based purely on hype and won't last without accomplishments to back them up. If Simmons or any of the new rookies hit $50 this coming year I'm just gonna quit collecting these.. lol

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kawhi_Leonard

Last edited by mindcycle; 10-12-2017 at 04:41 PM.
mindcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM   #4
mrchipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwash1983 View Post
What do you guys think? Probably will forget some of them.

Kawhi Leonard
Kyrie Irving
Anthony Davis
Giannis
Karl Anthony Towns
Devin Booker
Lonzo Ball
Ben Simmons
Markell Fultz
Joel Embiid
Wiggins
DeAndre Fox
The only ones from that list i can see having increasing long term value is Giannis, embiid and booker in that order.

giannis is already average of around $35 and many including myself think he will be the next lebron or "face of the nba" in the next few years. remember he is only 22 years old going in to his 5th nba season. thats a lot of stats guys drafted older then him wont have the opportunity to obtain when their career ends and you starting looking at career totals for the HOF. i think giannis prizms and color prizms have the most room to move of any card. i can see in the next few years them bringing easy $100+ raw. most improved player last year, top 5 mvp voting. 1st player in history to finish top 20 in all stats. has a lot going for him and the bucks made the playoffs last year and nearly beat the raptors with no jabari parker and middleton for less then half the season. giannis made the playoffs and nearly beat the raptors with a supporting cast of middleton, delladova, greg monroe, tony snell, etc. not a very good team at all.

Embiid looks like a beast and one of the best players i have ever seen. when he played last year for those 20ish games and went off his green prizms were bringing $70 and bgs 9.5 greens were bringing $130ish. they went down alot after the injury but i expect them to eclipse those numbers last year. as long as he stays healthy he is a good bet. im kicking myself for not picking up a ton of his stuff but hes still cheap enough that im buying right now. especially after the way he looked yesterday and with the new 5 year deal.

Booker is very young and has a lot of potential so i can see him being another one that will increase over time all the time. just last year his base prizms were like $5 cards max now they bring $15 and i think there is a lot of room on him as well. will all come down to if he can improve year after year and get the suns in the playoffs.

as far as leonard i love his game i just dont think he has a likable/collectible personality. he is too quiet as a person. i think that holds back his fan base. regardless i think he can see a small increase.

kyrie i think has no where to go but down and has already peaked.

anthony davis has never lived up to the hype. its been 6 years already now. nothing mind blowing from him and bad team.

lonzo ball will sell well just cause hes a laker. but its gonna take a lot for him to live up to the hype. but i can see a chance for him.

Ben simmons is already way overrated and overpriceed and i been saying that on this forum for over a year. he will drop and drop big time. you want to buy in to a sixers guy, buy embiid. he is the real face and future of that franchise.

fultz i think has bust potential written all over him and i will stay far away from his cards. complete bust imo.

wiggins i think will always be cheap and not grow. plays with too may stars and has a lot of ups and downs.

towns i think has a chance but just like wiggins he plays on a team with too many stars. so unless they win championships he will never have the ability to put up the stats required for him to increase like crazy but i still like him and own some of his prizms. he has a chance.

deandre fox i like but i dont see it happening with him either. he wont put up mind blowing numbers and the kings are years away from any playoff hope.

when it comes down to it id buy these 3 in this order.

Giannis
Embiid
Booker

my opinion only and for the sake of argument i own prizms of every single one of the guys on this list except for simmons, and the rookies this year cause they have not came out yet.

with the rising cost of the product and how expensive it is to open the cards inside will have to follow suit as well.
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
BigRhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipz View Post

wiggins i think will always be cheap and not grow. plays with too may stars and has a lot of ups and downs.

towns i think has a chance but just like wiggins he plays on a team with too many stars. so unless they win championships he will never have the ability to put up the stats required for him to increase like crazy but i still like him and own some of his prizms. he has a chance.
You say both wiggins and towns play with "too many stars". Who are the stars you're referring to? Butler?
Towns and wiggins are the main stars on the team, at least one of them has to shine
Scrub Autos:1000s
BigRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #6
mrchipz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRhino View Post
You say both wiggins and towns play with "too many stars". Who are the stars you're referring to? Butler?
Towns and wiggins are the main stars on the team, at least one of them has to shine
yes butler is a for sure star. and i think jeff teague is a star as well. only so many points to go around
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #7
tjforce

Quote:
yes butler is a for sure star. and i think jeff teague is a star as well. only so many points to go around
Apparently now being a 1 time all star in 8 seasons, in the East, mind you, makes you a star.

So how in the world does a guy like Curry go for so much if he's surrounded by so many stars? 4 by your count.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:25 AM   #8
Andy5

Quote:
anthony davis has never lived up to the hype. its been 6 years already now. nothing mind blowing from him and bad team.
In terms of accomplishments, sure, but the guy is a stat machine. What makes him different from Booker? AD can put up massive numbers across the board since he plays both sides of the court. He is injury prone though.

Having a RC in the inaugural Prizm set helps too.
Andy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #9
Kobe101

I think Gianis and Leoanard may end up being higher then $50....

KAT could be $50 Embiid if he stays healthy same thing and with Healthy Embiid Simmons could also be a $40 card....

Wiggins would have to surpass KAT as best player on team or be scoring almost 30 ppg.

Booker- who knows maybe $30-35

And if Davis gets traded and has a season like he did 2/3 years ago on a winning team!!!

I think Gianis and KAT are the future.
Kobe101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
msink28

I'll put a vote in for Klay Thompson, if the Warriors ever get broken up, he could see a huge surge.
msink28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #11
HP7163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe101 View Post
I think Gianis and Leoanard may end up being higher then $50....

KAT could be $50 Embiid if he stays healthy same thing and with Healthy Embiid Simmons could also be a $40 card....

Wiggins would have to surpass KAT as best player on team or be scoring almost 30 ppg.

Booker- who knows maybe $30-35

And if Davis gets traded and has a season like he did 2/3 years ago on a winning team!!!

I think Gianis and KAT are the future.
I want to agree with this and even add the base prizm or optic is the Simmons base RC to own correct since he had limited releases?

He'll also be in the highlight reals a lot, plays in a big market, and is a "cool/trendy" guy who will be plastered on plenty of endorsements if he balls. If Embiid plays then I expect Ben to fill the stat sheet and the 6ers will win games in the weak East.

In saying that.. Simmons prizm PSA 10 already sells regularly higher than KAT and week half ago was going at same levels as Gianni's so yes it maybe high for a guy who's never played a regular season game.

Embiid iMO will never be healthy so he's a cash grab. His prices are trending up now with the nba uptick but I see him reaching that $45-55 easily if he balls and then I'm selling to be safe

I like Booker and Josh Jackson looks like a nice up An coming duo but that team stinks

Can Klay and Dreymond get a bump of the Dubs win the title again or are they lumped into the "to many stars" role?

I like Fox but he plays on the Kings. He would have to put up stats and win ROY for a bump in his upcoming prizm and then they'll sit at that range unless the Kings start winning and become a playoff team. Years away

Porzingis I think can trend up a bit with stats but unless he's traded or the Knicks actually start winning in the next 2-3 years then I don't see a ton of value increase

It does concern me on pricing though when a guy like Kyrie who has a ring An finals MVP (maybe LBJ won it not sure ) and is priced under KAT BEN GIANNIS

Even players like Lillard, IT 3, Klay, Dreymond, CJ McCullum are "dirt" cheap levels compared with a lot of guys who aren't established
HP7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:51 PM   #12
mindcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP7163 View Post
It does concern me on pricing though when a guy like Kyrie who has a ring An finals MVP (maybe LBJ won it not sure ) and is priced under KAT BEN GIANNIS

Even players like Lillard, IT 3, Klay, Dreymond, CJ McCullum are "dirt" cheap levels compared with a lot of guys who aren't established

It's called "hype", "jumping on the bandwagon", etc.. there's little to no sense in it but it's what drives the hobby. If everyone bought on accomplishments alone there would be a couple base RC's for each rookie at most and the market would be driven by high priced vet cards of established players. It's pretty much the opposite though which is why buying rookies for top dollar rarely pays off. Only a handful each season (if that) are going to stand the test of time and become one of the greats.

I have a lot of respect for the guys who only buy cards of established players like LBJ, Jordan, etc.. Those guys are a lot smarter than most of us when it comes to "investing", lol.

Last edited by mindcycle; 10-13-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #13
onenonly0

One thing for sure, Giannis will never be the face of NBA because he is Greek, not American. Same goes to Ben Simmons and Wiggins.

I would say AD if healthy, and Booker.
onenonly0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
bblaue1

Kawhi/AD could reach $100 with right hype about perceived scarcity of that year. Anybody 2 years ago think that Durants chrome rc would be at the levels it is today? Giannis will reach $100 if he has a playoff run. We know he is good, but you see the next jump in price with team success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IG: nbspursfan
bblaue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
HP7163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenonly0 View Post
One thing for sure, Giannis will never be the face of NBA because he is Greek, not American. Same goes to Ben Simmons and Wiggins.

Ha.. the NBA is a GLOBAL game homie.. look at how the NBA marketed Steve Nash & Dirk, Hakeem, Peja, Vlade etc were all promoted

Even now Porzingis & Wiggins has comercials so no.. there is no reason a foreign player can't be ONE of the many faces of the league esp if the team is GOOD & the playe speaks English well

NBA is all about promoting diversity and improving the World brand
Old 10-13-2017, 06:33 PM   #16
HP7163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcycle View Post
It's called "hype", "jumping on the bandwagon", etc.. there's little to no sense in it but it's what drives the hobby. If everyone bought on accomplishments alone there would be a couple base RC's for each rookie at most and the market would be driven by high priced vet cards of established players. It's pretty much the opposite though which is why buying rookies for top dollar rarely pays off. Only a handful each season (if that) are going to stand the test of time and become one of the greats.

I have a lot of respect for the guys who only buy cards of established players like LBJ, Jordan, etc.. Those guys are a lot smarter than most of us when it comes to "investing", lol.

I only collect certain players who are poised for gains based on hype/market/face of team/winning so Simmonsis a guy I'm def gambling on short term but his prices seem inflated but I still think it has room to grow before a potential bubble.

I'm only buying or was KAT/Gianni's. Booker is very good but the Suns are bottom feeders in the west. Be 2-3 years at least before they're competing.

I am scared to touch anything in a Sacramento Kings jersey even if Fox breaks out

But I do agree Jordan, LBJ and even KD Chrome is always a good buy even now

Last edited by HP7163; 10-14-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
mindcycle

Quote:
One thing for sure, Giannis will never be the face of NBA because he is Greek, not American.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:04 AM   #18
johnyensmith123

Quote:

Nope. On all three points.
johnyensmith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:14 PM   #19
daeve

Giannis already gets respect from the game's best players. Curry in last year's AS game and now this:

Quote:
Durant on his favorite NBA players to watch: “Greek Freak. Probably the number one guy I like to watch…his ceiling is he could end being the best player ever to play.” (youtu.be)
daeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #20
mwash1983

I forgot to add one, Jaylen Brown. I actually picked up a Green Retail Prizm today for a really cheap price.
mwash1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #21
HP7163
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwash1983 View Post
I forgot to add one, Jaylen Brown. I actually picked up a Green Retail Prizm today for a really cheap price.
I was looking the other day and you're right.. his stuff is cheap. Base PSA 10 was around $7-$10 if I remember correctly