Blowout Cards Forums
2024 Baseball

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > GAMING

Notices

GAMING Post Your Gaming Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
toyzeverywhere

Default MTG Alpha starter deck

Trying to familiarize myself with the world of Magic, especially the really old stuff. Been watching youtube videos of people opening alpha/beta decks and packs. So apparently, there are people opening up starter decks or booster packs worth thousands of dollars in the hopes of pulling one of those rare power nine cards? What are the real odds of doing something like that though? In a starter deck you only get two rares I think...and in a booster pack, one rare? Just wondering how often unopened material trade hands and the stuff remain unopened...
toyzeverywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzeverywhere View Post
Trying to familiarize myself with the world of Magic, especially the really old stuff. Been watching youtube videos of people opening alpha/beta decks and packs. So apparently, there are people opening up starter decks or booster packs worth thousands of dollars in the hopes of pulling one of those rare power nine cards? What are the real odds of doing something like that though? In a starter deck you only get two rares I think...and in a booster pack, one rare? Just wondering how often unopened material trade hands and the stuff remain unopened...
There are (I think) 120 rares in alpha. All have the same print run. So if you feel like doing the math, go for it.

The other thing driving people to do this, graded vintage magic can be big money. Even a common like lightning bolt will get you a nice bit of money. Unlike a lot of products if the deck has been stored properly a large amount of the cards you pull will gem. So basically open carefully, grade everything, sell to set builders.
Now life has killed the dream, I dreamed
daxwills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #3
toyzeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxwills View Post
There are (I think) 120 rares in alpha. All have the same print run. So if you feel like doing the math, go for it.

The other thing driving people to do this, graded vintage magic can be big money. Even a common like lightning bolt will get you a nice bit of money. Unlike a lot of products if the deck has been stored properly a large amount of the cards you pull will gem. So basically open carefully, grade everything, sell to set builders.
Thanks daxwills! All the alphas were printed in about the same amount (I've read 1100)...but the black lotus is the one worth the most...because of the card's "power" in the game itself (as you can tell, I know little about the game lol). So if 120 rares and 2 to a starter deck, it's like 1 in 60 chance of pulling the black lotus. The graded market is making it more appealing to open the sealed decks apparently? And 18 of 120 (9 power nine cards, 2 rares in a deck)...so about 3 out of 20 chance of pulling a power 9 from a starter deck...hmm....
Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyzeverywhere View Post
Thanks daxwills! All the alphas were printed in about the same amount (I've read 1100)...but the black lotus is the one worth the most...because of the card's "power" in the game itself (as you can tell, I know little about the game lol). So if 120 rares and 2 to a starter deck, it's like 1 in 60 chance of pulling the black lotus. The graded market is making it more appealing to open the sealed decks apparently? And 18 of 120 (9 power nine cards, 2 rares in a deck)...so about 3 out of 20 chance of pulling a power 9 from a starter deck...hmm....
Bare in mind given the current cost of alpha decks I think the only card worth more than sealed deck (ungraded) is the lotus. But high grade raws are becoming impossible to find driving up sealed product through the roof. Not just on the earliest either. Revised boxes, urzas boxes, all insanely priced for what you get out of one.

There’s a YouTube channel called “alphainvestments” that you an watch to learn all about the business side of magic. Itll also introduce you to “the drama”.

Last edited by daxwills; 12-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
Morgoth

In reality opening vintage Magic is a super bad investment.

Rudy at Alpha Investments has lots of videos that show why opening is bad idea so watch them and learn.

It is very similar to opening vintage sports cards packs except vintage magic is in much better condition. The value is in the rarity of the unopened material.

If you have at least 10K to burn however and want to take a chance than go for it as if you hit big it will be amazing.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

Rudy at Alpha Investments has lots of videos that show why opening is bad idea so watch them and learn.

It is very similar to opening vintage sports cards packs except vintage magic is in much better condition. The value is in the rarity of the unopened material.

If you have at least 10K to burn however and want to take a chance than go for it as if you hit big it will be amazing.
I find Rudy funny. I’m amazed at the level of hate he gets.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
chugga15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

Solid advice. "Open Boosters" is the Youtuber who is opening the most vintage packs/boosters, but he purchased them for the original retail price.

Here is a cool playlist of "Power 9's":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLRo...3_dfAv0LtM4XC8
Old 12-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #8
daxwills

Imagine opening an alpha booster and pulling a chaoslace and a lifelace.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #9
John91C

I've debated this over the last couple years...to open or not. I bought it in 2009 for $500 for strictly investment potential. I had it sold once in 2012 for $1100 or so but the buyer backed out. The gambler in me wants to open it but the investor in me says to hold it for a few more years, lol!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by John91C View Post
I've debated this over the last couple years...to open or not. I bought it in 2009 for $500 for strictly investment potential. I had it sold once in 2012 for $1100 or so but the buyer backed out. The gambler in me wants to open it but the investor in me says to hold it for a few more years, lol!

If you crack it and pull a dragon whelp I call dibs lol.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
rats60

Quote:

There were 116 rates. You have the Power 9, Time Vault and blue duals that will bring big dollars in high grade. So, the odds aren't that bad, about one in four and half.
rats60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #12
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
There were 116 rates. You have the Power 9, Time Vault and blue duals that will bring big dollars in high grade. So, the odds aren't that bad, about one in four.
Odds you’ll get a “good” card are decent. Odds of you paying for the starter, ugh, not so good. Could get lucky. Someone got a bgs black label 10 ancestral recall. It can happen. Personally I think you’d be better off betting on roulette. lol
Old 12-02-2017, 11:55 PM   #13
toyzeverywhere

IF you had bought an alpha starter deck back in 1993, kept it unopened and stored away safely so that the box is in the same condition as purchased, would you open it today and grade it all to sell...or keep it unopened, advertised it for a certain amount on some website and hope someone with 8-10K would buy it from you? I don't doubt there are certain buyers out there that buy vintage unopened material like this...it just seem like you might have to wait for a while for that person to come along?
Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #14
toyzeverywhere

The reason I've been educating myself about all this is that I have a friend that I've known for a few years know that live out of state from me. He has a knack for having some really interesting stuff stashed away. We were just shooting the breeze talking about baseball a week ago and then somehow we came upon the subject of Magic cards. He then tells me he had some game cards stashed away. I asked him what it was and he said it was magic or something to that effect, something about alpha and beta and he had bought some boxes/sets at a store closeup in 1993. He had a feeling they would be of some value until I started researching this week and told him some ballpark figures which blew his mind. So now I'm awaiting pictures from him on his tiny stash...and then will give him some scenarios to consider (save unopened and sell now, hold, break open/grade/sell). Thanks for all your advise so far...any more would be welcomed...and yes, I've seen a few videos Alpha Investments and that Asian fella...saw him make a deal with a lady investor for $21k on Magic cards...he is definitely funny
Old 12-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #15
rats60

Quote:
Odds you’ll get a “good” card are decent. Odds of you paying for the starter, ugh, not so good. Could get lucky. Someone got a bgs black label 10 ancestral recall. It can happen. Personally I think you’d be better off betting on roulette. lol
It depends on what you pay. Beta starters look to be 5-6000. At that any of the top 14 cards in PSA 10 would make you money, the Black Lotus would make you a lot. Those are a lot better odds than roulette.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It depends on what you pay. Beta starters look to be 5-6000. At that any of the top 14 cards in PSA 10 would make you money, the Black Lotus would make you a lot. Those are a lot better odds than roulette.
A 1/10 shot (roughly) plus it needs to come back a psa 10 vs 50/50 odds on roulette if you just pick a color. Let’s say black. Roulette still wins.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #17
Cujobyte

I’m a big buyer of magic, and am currently looking for Arabian And legends packs if your friend has any. Good luck. Solid advice above, you really should learn the game. Cardboard crack is its name.
Cujobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
daxwills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujobyte View Post
I’m a big buyer of magic, and am currently looking for Arabian And legends packs if your friend has any. Good luck. Solid advice above, you really should learn the game. Cardboard crack is its name.
God legends can be brutal. Arabian you actually get decent odds. Well better than most sets anyways.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #19
Cujobyte

Quote:
God legends can be brutal. Arabian you actually get decent odds. Well better than most sets anyways.
Yeah, I'd never chance opening Legends!! Arabian Nights on the other...
Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 PM   #20
daxwills

Quote:
Yeah, I'd never chance opening Legends!! Arabian Nights on the other...
Just be super careful. With no rares you can see the uncommons through the arabian packs and cherry pick them. I’m sure you knew but just in case.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #21
Cujobyte

Quote:
Just be super careful. With no rares you can see the uncommons through the arabian packs and cherry pick them. I’m sure you knew but just in case.
Yup. Imo no older sealed should be opened except perhaps sealed decks. It’s why I love “openboosters” on YouTube. He has balls of steel!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 PM   #22
DaaaaBears

The way things are going at WOTC and their lack of being able to make good products anymore, eventually, I bet they start reprinting reserved list cards when their profits get squeezed out - I'd be willing to bet my life savings on it! Mtg is a horrible investment imo and it's gonna end up being Yugioh 2.0 soon with all the reprints
DaaaaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #23
rats60

Quote:
Yup. Imo no older sealed should be opened except perhaps sealed decks. It’s why I love “openboosters” on YouTube. He has balls of steel!
The stuff he has opened were cards he got when they originally came out.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:28 PM   #24
chugga15

Quote:
He bought them at original retail prices, but yeah it does take balls of steel knowing the resale value.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:53 PM   #25
Cujobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugga15 View Post
He bought them at original retail prices, but yeah it does take balls of steel knowing the resale value.
Not all his products. He discusses in each vid which he had back in the day, but has also purchased some recently with patreon $ as well. I love his vids, watched all including today’s!