Blowout Cards Forums
superb owl 2018

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 12-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
72RangerFan

Default Giants meeting with Stanton now

MLB NETWORK says SF Giants in talks with Stanton in LA right now. Will take on $250mil of contract give up Panic and 2-3 top prospects. Sounds crazy but they are talking like it's a done deal. Said no way you talk to player and rep without deal on table first. We'll see.
72RangerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Doublexthebeast

I just hate to see Stanton go to the NL and to that ballpark. I think he would be better in the AL where he can impact the game with his bat and avoid some wear and tear in the field. Even if he only DH'd for 30 games per season that could be huge.

If the Giants can land him then that is awesome news for that franchise.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
72RangerFan

I agree I'd like to see him in the AL
72RangerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
NeedChapmans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublexthebeast View Post
I just hate to see Stanton go to the NL and to that ballpark. I think he would be better in the AL where he can impact the game with his bat and avoid some wear and tear in the field. Even if he only DH'd for 30 games per season that could be huge.

Very similar to Miami + he'll get to play in the COL and AZ bandboxes 20 times a year.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
PejaD

Chances are he will opt out after the 2020 season unless he has a litany of injuries harming his long term value. Both Giancarlo and the his prospective new team will be hoping for the opt out.

Winners would be the Giants and Miami ownership. Losers are Marlins fans (with the exception of maybe Ramos, no prospects in the SF system project to be better than above avg MLB regulars).

I wonder what Giancarlo's # will be since #27 is retired?
PejaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
moosetequila

Will be sad to see Panik go... and Shaw too, Beede, oh well.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
duwal

Quote:

But he's one of those rare players where the ballpark won't really matter. He says he loves AT&T Park and has done quite well. Lifetime in 26 games he has 9 hrs, 21 extra base hits, +.300 average and one of the highest OPS's in any park
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
mfw13

If the deal is Panik, Shaw, and Beede for Stanton & Gordon, it's highway robbery for the Giants. Why?

#1 - Stanton's contract isn't as bad as it looks. He's at $25-26 million for the next three years, after which the contract jumps to $29 million for two years, and then to $32 million in 2023. During that time period Harper will likely sign for $40 million a year (after 2018), and Trout may get $50 million a year (after 2020). Just look at the inflation in SP salaries. Arrieta may end up getting as much as Stanton next year.....

#2 - Money isn't an issue for the Giants. They have paid off the ballpark, have a great local TV contract, one of the wealthiest ownership groups in baseball, and sell over 3 million tickets a year.

#3 - Shaw and Beede are not great prospects. Shaw can hit, but is below average defensively and is a future DH. Beede was ok at AA last year, sucked at AAA, and is already 24.

Last edited by mfw13; 12-01-2017 at 07:06 PM.
mfw13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
duwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
If the deal is Panik, Shaw, and Beede for Stanton & Gordon, it's highway robbery for the Giants. Why?

#1 - Stanton's contract isn't as bad as it looks. He's at $25-26 million for the next three years, after which the contract jumps to $29 million for two years, and then to $32 million in 2023. During that time period Harper will likely sign for $40 million a year (after 2018), and Trout may get $50 million a year (after 2020). Just look at the inflation in SP salaries. Arrieta may end up getting as much as Stanton next year.....

#2 - Money isn't an issue for the Giants. They have paid off the ballpark, have a great local TV contract, one of the wealthiest ownership groups in baseball, and sell over 3 million tickets a year.

#3 - Shaw and Beede are not great prospects. Shaw can hit, but it below average defensively and is a future DH. Beede was ok at AA last year, sucked at AAA, and is already 24.

Let's not forget that his salary won't make too much of a different for them either as the previous 5 seasons they've been paying Matt Cain 20-21 million a year for a total of 19 wins over those 5 seasons and now they might only be making a small increase for a dramatically better result
Old 12-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
rman112

Quote:

#3 - Shaw and Beede are not great prospects. Shaw can hit, but it below average defensively and is a future DH. Beede was ok at AA last year, sucked at AAA, and is already 24.
We're talking a potential 10 year deal for a guy who has a history of injuries (no, not getting hit in the face..). He was excellent last year. But VERY risky, very lucrative.
rman112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
hanstess

Stanton also has an opt-out clause in his contract after 4 or 5 years I believe.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman112 View Post
We're talking a potential 10 year deal for a guy who has a history of injuries (no, not getting hit in the face..). He was excellent last year. But VERY risky, very lucrative.
It's certainly a bit risky from the health perspective, but then, anybody can get hurt at any time. Baseball is a game that is filled with freak injuries.

But you don't get a chance to get reigning MVP's very often, especially one on what will seem like a pretty reasonable contract in a few years.

And don't forget, Stanton is roughly the same age as Posey & Madbum in terms of putting together a core, and the Giants won't have to give up Heliot Ramos in the deal. Combine that with the fact that they have the #2 pick in this year's draft, and it sets them up pretty well for the next 5-6 seasons (as long as they don't botch MadBum's extension).
Old 12-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
Soxrule111

If the names Ive seen are true, love this deal for both guys. I think the Giants are clear winners, but Miami getting the books clean win there alone as well.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
rman112

Quote:
It's certainly a bit risky from the health perspective, but then, anybody can get hurt at any time. Baseball is a game that is filled with freak injuries.

But you don't get a chance to get reigning MVP's very often, especially one on what will seem like a pretty reasonable contract in a few years.

And don't forget, Stanton is roughly the same age as Posey & Madbum in terms of putting together a core, and the Giants won't have to give up Heliot Ramos in the deal. Combine that with the fact that they have the #2 pick in this year's draft, and it sets them up pretty well for the next 5-6 seasons (as long as they don't botch MadBum's extension).
If they can add Gordon too, I think that'd be huge. They desperately need a leadoff hitter, and someone that can make things happen on the bases. He checks both boxes. The Giants really need to make moves. Can't go into next season with basically the same roster and expect change.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
mfw13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanstess View Post
Stanton also has an opt-out clause in his contract after 4 or 5 years I believe.
It's after three years, and the Giants would almost certainly ask him to waive it as part of the deal. Even if he didn't waive it, he's be pretty crazy to opt out given that he'd be due $218 million over eight years remaining on the deal at that point, taking him through his age 38 season. At that point he might be able to get more $$$ per year, but probably only on a five-year deal for less $$$ overall through his age 35 season.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #16
mfw13

Quote:
If they can add Gordon too, I think that'd be huge. They desperately need a leadoff hitter, and someone that can make things happen on the bases. He checks both boxes.
Gordon is part of the deal, according to all reports, since the Giants would need a 2B back and the Marlins can save $$$ by exchanging him for Panik, who although arbitration eligible this year, will get less than Gordon's current value.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
rman112

Quote:
Gordon is part of the deal, according to all reports, since the Giants would need a 2B back and the Marlins can save $$$ by exchanging him for Panik, who although arbitration eligible this year, will get less than Gordon's current value.
What have you heard about what Stanton thinks? It seems like, coming in, that LA was his dream spot.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
mfw13

Quote:
What have you heard about what Stanton thinks? It seems like, coming in, that LA was his dream spot.
Haven't heard anything more than you have. He's from California, and the rumor mill says he'd prefer a West Coast team. He probably prefers the Dodgers, but they don't seem to be willing to take on the amount of contract $$$ that the Giants are, which is why the Marlins are focused on the Giants.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
rman112

Quote:
Haven't heard anything more than you have. He's from California, and the rumor mill says he'd prefer a West Coast team. He probably prefers the Dodgers, but they don't seem to be willing to take on the amount of contract $$$ that the Giants are, which is why the Marlins are focused on the Giants.
Should be fun to see what happens. Would really kick off the offseason if a deal gets done soon.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #20
stlfan78

Cardinals turn
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/936742361660624896
stlfan78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:56 PM   #21
awz50

Hope the giants land him
Still a Wade Miley Supercollector, I still do not know why
awz50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #22
LVDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlfan78 View Post

Cards certainly have better pcs to offer, especially arms but wouldn't he turn down anything that isn't on the coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LVDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #23
duwal

Quote:

That is kind of a push though as the Giants also would be getting rid of Panik, a guy who has had nagging injuries including concussion difficulties the past few seasons
Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #24
centereacan06

Quote:

You mean that ballpark that Bonds hit 73 home runs in?
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #25
88horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by centereacan06 View Post
You mean that ballpark that Bonds hit 73 home runs in?
Well, 37 of them.