Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > BASEBALL

Notices

BASEBALL Post your Baseball Cards Hobby Talk

Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #726
evilside

Is this site operated by the organizers of the code or a person trying to crack the code?

The Willow Cove Water Cooler
evilside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #727
7290morint

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilside View Post
Is this site operated by the organizers of the code or a person trying to crack the code?

The Willow Cove Water Cooler
by topps (the organizers of the code). if you follow on twitter (the reporter) he says he runs it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #728
steveintampa1

looking for someone to work on this ginter code thing preferably using the phone,,pm me if interested,,
steveintampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #729
Armystrong2012

Default First Time Posting

This is my first ever post, I hope everyone is having a good time with this year's code. I have noticed a few things I would like to mention.

First: Everyone keeps saying ransom note, but hasn't it been consistently referered to in the case file and through the paper as a ransom "style" note? This means that it isn't necessarily a ransom note, but just a note done in the same style as a typical ransom note.

Secondly: I noticed on the code card that the codemaster is holding a newspaper. Now, maybe this has been mentioned already, I do not know, but it seems to me certain parts and lettering on the paper he is holding is darker and bolder than the rest of the paper? Plus the "be the first to crack the code" or whatever on the back seems to be cut from other papers or documents (this part we already know). But would it be possible that the darker, highlighted letters on the pieces of cut out paper mean something?

Thirdly: Something has been driving me crazy. Not that it matters now, but how did people who wanted to attend the town meeting do so? It was bugging the heck out of me that I couldn't figure it out.

Lastly, if anyone would like to join forces, let me know!
Armystrong2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #730
calculusdork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armystrong2012 View Post
This is my first ever post, I hope everyone is having a good time with this year's code. I have noticed a few things I would like to mention.

First: Everyone keeps saying ransom note, but hasn't it been consistently referered to in the case file and through the paper as a ransom "style" note? This means that it isn't necessarily a ransom note, but just a note done in the same style as a typical ransom note.

Secondly: I noticed on the code card that the codemaster is holding a newspaper. Now, maybe this has been mentioned already, I do not know, but it seems to me certain parts and lettering on the paper he is holding is darker and bolder than the rest of the paper? Plus the "be the first to crack the code" or whatever on the back seems to be cut from other papers or documents (this part we already know). But would it be possible that the darker, highlighted letters on the pieces of cut out paper mean something?

Thirdly: Something has been driving me crazy. Not that it matters now, but how did people who wanted to attend the town meeting do so? It was bugging the heck out of me that I couldn't figure it out.

Lastly, if anyone would like to join forces, let me know!
Welcome to the crazy farm!

(1) Agreed.
(2) There hasn't been much discussion on this, but that doesn't mean that someone hasn't found some connection there.
(3) Not sure what you're asking. People in Willow Cove, or us code breakers?
calculusdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #731
CrazyPaul

Quote:
There was no way to attend the meeting or ask questions. It was all Live Tweeted by Maxx.
CrazyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #732
Tommy12oz

Is the cell phone service down in Willow Cove so no one is tweeting?

Anyone else frustrated with the lack of tweets/communication since the murder? I know they took off a few days after the shooting in CO, but its been pretty much nothing since.

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic
Tommy12oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #733
CrazyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy12oz View Post

Anyone else frustrated with the lack of tweets/communication since the murder? I know they took off a few days after the shooting in CO, but its been pretty much nothing since.
I have a feeling it will be slow until Saturday.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #734
Armystrong2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPaul View Post
There was no way to attend the meeting or ask questions. It was all Live Tweeted by Maxx.
Oh I get it now. I thought he was just giving highlights. I seen some posts of people saying they actually were able to view text from within the meeting or something similar to that effect. Guess I shouldn't believe everything I read lol.
Armystrong2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #735
CharlieHustle

Quote:

Remember last year? It took the Code Master a whole month to finish his twitter poem, but all of the important information was front loaded into the first couple of weeks. It wasn't until the last line of the poem that you could have solved it, which was about mid-August. After that, it was just a lot of nudging in the right direction.
I'm thinking that they don't want the code to drag on as long as it did last year, but they also don't want it to be solved in a week, like the first couple of years.
I would expect the entirety of the info to be released after the next Town Hall meeting, but I also expect that 95% of the info is already out there now.
CharlieHustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #736
jmel07
Inactive Account

Quote:

If by everyone, you mean me That was me. I was just referring to it as it was worded on the cards, but if you think about it . . . .

It could have just been a threat against Lennie, like "sell your property to me, or I'll kill you" but what good is that if you are just going to kill him anyway.

And Lennie must have had it ahead of time, unless the killer just laid it on the floor to get his attention in the bowling alley and when he bent over to get it, wacked him over the head. But that doesn't seem overly plausible (possible though).

What makes more sense is that someone was extorting him, since there have been references made to "secrets" in Lennie's life. So, while you can't say for sure it was an actual ransom note, it's probably a 50/50 shot or better, but still just pure speculation on my part.
jmel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #737
calculusdork

So ... anybody given up yet?
Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #738
Tommy12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
No, basically, the Co. shooting equaled 1 week delay in the twitter activity. I am sure if the shooting never happened the wake/funeral would have all occured last weekend. They just pushed all the action one week back.

We should get some good info to really start working this weekend.

I personally have a lot of note and ideas, just waiting for a catylst that will help bring any of it together.

What I do not have yet, is a 100% found the next step.. IE: Dicovered a potential cipher or foud the link to what cards in the set will be used in the code and I doubt many if any at all have gotten there yet. It just all speculation till will get a little more info.

its just gonna take TIME!

2010 Neftali Feliz Ginter Relic
Tommy12oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #739
calculusdork

Quote:
No, basically, the Co. shooting equaled 1 week delay in the twitter activity. I am sure if the shooting never happened the wake/funeral would have all occured last weekend. They just pushed all the action one week back.
Agreed 100%. It's likely (IMO) that all the Twitter activity was scripted and pre-programmed, and the Aurora shootings caused them to have to rearrange and reprogram some things to maintain the same overall timeline w/r/t future events (e.g. 7/30 town meeting). Could be part of the reason for the delays as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #740
SWLVGUY

With twitter being down this am...could throw a kink in all of this?
SWLVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #741
CrazyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLVGUY View Post
With twitter being down this am...could throw a kink in all of this?
I was thinking the same thing. Im hoping that no major activity was planned until the funeral. Im not sure my sanity can handle many more delays.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #742
lauriontj

Hmm....something "fishy" is going on here...
lauriontj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #743
calculusdork

I know there may be issues with the Twitter stuff, but just throwing this out there ... shouldn't there be a blog post about Lennie's visitations and funeral? Kinda surprised about the lack of activity there.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #744
poppudaimadochi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriontj View Post
Hmm....something "fishy" is going on here...
the "no tweets" thing?
poppudaimadochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #745
jmel07
Inactive Account

Quote:

What I do not have yet, is a 100% found the next step.. IE: Dicovered a potential cipher or foud the link to what cards in the set will be used in the code and I doubt many if any at all have gotten there yet. It just all speculation till will get a little more info.

its just gonna take TIME!
More formally, you/we are looking for the trail-head or rabbit hole.

Prior rabbit holes:
2008 - first/last words matching
2009 - boxed "L"s
2010 - hail-mary email to topps with auto-reply ciphertext (horrible, just horrible)
2011 - yek.topps.com websites with backwards words from backs of cards

For 2012, we still don't really know what this is or will be. Just because they used subset cards last year doesn't mean they will this year. They also used one subset in 2008, but it was very explicit. They've went to great lengths to make the code cracking last longer and have obfuscated it from plain view.

And in hiding it from plain view, you have to hint at where it is.

What doesn't make sense to me thus far is what's with all the daytime soap opera drama? That's not a code yet, that's just hokey plot lines.

And we still have no idea why www.murderinwillowcove.com exists.

Last edited by jmel07; 07-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #746
CrazyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07 View Post
And we still have no idea why www.murderinwillowcove.com exists.
We dont?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #747
jmel07
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculusdork View Post
Last year there were breaks of anywhere from 5 to 9 to 15 days even early on in the "code" -- during the poem.

Although, it feels different this year since this whole town is supposedly crazy tweeters.

The thing I keep remembering is it wasn't until 99 days after the first tweet last year that I think anyone could have even imagined how to find the 30 website clues. Sure, we all knew we were looking for a domain, but no one had any idea what that meant, and I think I can confidently state that no one knew we were looking for sub-domains off the topps.com site until the 10/22/11 tweet:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGinterCode
Our domain is oft visited when collectors explore, you'll find the keys all fit snugly right at the fore #thegintercode
And he waited three more months before giving the super-obvious hint, which to me says no one had found a single domain prior to 1/30/12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGinterCode
Young Ethier Konerko Desmond Ordonez Thome Teixeira Oswalt Papelbon Peavy Sandoval Danks Ortiz Tabata Castro Owings McGee
They clearly had no problem with dragging this thing out 3-6 months based on the pace of the hints last year, so I wouldn't hold out much hope of getting everything you need in July, or August or September. Although I hope they did learn that people burn out after 3 to 6 or 9 months of banging their heads. We're all super excited and just want something to "work on". 6 months to find the rabbit hole is pretty unreasonable, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took at least 2 months.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #748
jmel07
Inactive Account

Quote:
We dont?
If you know where it came from, or what to do with it, I applaud you. It's reason for being has eluded me thus far.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #749
CrazyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07 View Post
If you know where it came from, or what to do with it, I applaud you. It's reason for being has eluded me thus far.
I know exactly what to do with it. Waste hours upon hours of my life trying to determine if its real or not.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #750
calculusdork

Quote:
I know exactly what to do with it. Waste hours upon hours of my life trying to determine if its real or not.
This made me chuckle and brought a sense of relief.