NON-SPORTS Post Your Non-Sports Cards Hobby Talk

Old 02-19-2016, 04:38 PM   #51
THSN

Marking this for later!
THSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM   #52
Faulkenburg

Send a message via AIM to Faulkenburg

I'm throwing this out there out of curiosity since there are so many knowledgeable people here.

Is a colorized version of a public domain film copyrighted by whomever colorized it? For example, the original Night of the Living Dead is in public domain so I'm assuming you could use images for a product. But what about the colorized version?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:41 PM   #53
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
Is a colorized version of a public domain film copyrighted by whomever colorized it? For example, the original Night of the Living Dead is in public domain so I'm assuming you could use images for a product. But what about the colorized version?
Believe the colorized version is not in the public domain. (At least per some notes on Wikipedia)
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #54
Watt

If you make a Hannibal set I will buy many cases
Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #55
Inferno

Be weary of the "Breaking Bad" situation also. Cryptozoic got the license and fans went crazy. It's one of the best shows ever, it couldn't possibly fail right? Well despite their best efforts they couldn't get the two biggest stars Cranston and Paul to sign, so the product ended up falling flat before it even released. You can't negotiate with the stars until you're committed to the license and there's no guarantee you'll get them on board when the time comes. It's another risk you have to take especially since the quality of the signing roster can make or break a non sport set. It wasn't Crypto's fault and they tried like hell but it must have been awfully deflating to finally announce that they couldn't get the two biggest names and the set didn't turn out nearly as strong as it could have been.

Last edited by Inferno; 02-19-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:14 AM   #56
Addz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Be weary of the "Breaking Bad" situation also. Cryptozoic got the license and fans went crazy. It's one of the best shows ever, it couldn't possibly fail right? Well despite their best efforts they couldn't get the two biggest stars Cranston and Paul to sign, so the product ended up falling flat before it even released. You can't negotiate with the stars until you're committed to the license and there's no guarantee you'll get them on board when the time comes. It's another risk you have to take especially since the quality of the signing roster can make or break a non sport set. It wasn't Crypto's fault and they tried like hell but it must have been awfully deflating to finally announce that they couldn't get the two biggest names and the set didn't turn out nearly as strong as it could have been.
Its true, the supernatural Set was also hindered because they didn't get Jared or Jensen, but they did get singers not previously signed from Inkworks.
I feel CZE didn't manage to get quite a few of the main stars for sets, which must suck for them.
Addz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #57
Slette

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Mike, this will always be one of my all-time favorites that you have come up with.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:43 PM   #58
gdelan1

I know there was a SP set back in the day, but I was thinking one with autos/relics/sketches. Nice custom.
gdelan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:54 PM   #59
4SeamCollect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkenburg View Post
I'm throwing this out there out of curiosity since there are so many knowledgeable people here.

So public domain films would be cool to make a 100-card set of? This is where I get confused. What about the actor's likenesses? If I were to print 1,000 sets of Night of the Living Dead, would I be free to do as I please? As far as advertising/selling them is concerned anyway.
4SeamCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:47 PM   #60
kerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SeamCollect View Post
So public domain films would be cool to make a 100-card set of? This is where I get confused. What about the actor's likenesses? If I were to print 1,000 sets of Night of the Living Dead, would I be free to do as I please? As far as advertising/selling them is concerned anyway.
Not 100% certain and best to consult a copyright lawyer, but even though something is in the public domain, from what I understand you don't have the complete right to use actor/actress images from the movie in a commercial manner if they haven't signed off to release their image. This is why you might see Bill Murray on CZE base cards from the movie, but might not see new interpretations/sketch cards of him if he hasn't signed off to use his likeness.

My 2 cents/thoughts on what I've read and interpreted before.
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #61
4SeamCollect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerg View Post
Not 100% certain and best to consult a copyright lawyer, but even though something is in the public domain, from what I understand you don't have the complete right to use actor/actress images from the movie in a commercial manner if they haven't signed off to release their image. This is why you might see Bill Murray on CZE base cards from the movie, but might not see new interpretations/sketch cards of him if he hasn't signed off to use his likeness.

My 2 cents/thoughts on what I've read and interpreted before.
I would figure the attorney would be necessary no matter what lol. That's exactly what I figured though. A Night of the Living Dead set on Heritage stock would be sweet though. That was one of my favorites movies in my earlier years
Old 02-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #62
Qexit

Quote:
I would figure the attorney would be necessary no matter what lol. That's exactly what I figured though. A Night of the Living Dead set on Heritage stock would be sweet though. That was one of my favorites movies in my earlier years
With regard to a Night of the Living Dead set, don't forget that Strictly Ink released just such a set back in 2012. You can still pick up cards from it on eBay and elsewhere. That had base, chase, autos and sketch cards.
Qexit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #63
4SeamCollect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
With regard to a Night of the Living Dead set, don't forget that Strictly Ink released just such a set back in 2012. You can still pick up cards from it on eBay and elsewhere. That had base, chase, autos and sketch cards.
That's awesome! I figured someone must've done one by now. I'll have to check those out. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #64
Jason Brower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
We'll get back to doing some sketch and card sets at some point. Currently we're working on publishing board games in the near future and taking a break from the sketch card scene.

It was really fun making sets that were different from what is mostly out there. However, it was a bit discouraging looking at all the forum threads where collectors posted their favorite sketch cards and most of them were of characters in bikinis, or less. I know that doesn't represent all sketch collectors, but it was still a bit of a bummer.

Also, when I explain to people outside of the collecting community what sketch cards are all about, it's super awkward sifting through the examples on eBay and forums of nearly naked, weirdly posed women, just to get to some cool examples. I don't know, it's what a lot of collectors want and it sells well, so I guess there's a place for it.

We'll do other sets in the future, just taking a little time away from sketch cards.

(small edit: I'm mostly talking about the small set sketch market, as that doesn't really apply to the many Star Wars and Marvel/DC sets)
Thanks, that's great to hear and you can definitely count me in for whatever you've got coming in the future! Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #65
YetiHandler

Quote:
The thing about public domain is that the source material is what is public. Each iteration of it likely retains it's rights. Good example is The Little Mermaid. The story is public domain, but not long ago a bunch of articles surfaced about a new live action movie with Chloë Grace Moretz and she will have blonde hair. Because the version we grew up loving is Disney's version, and they own the rights to that version.

And as mentioned earlier, actors usually retain some form of likeness rights across the board regardless of the project.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:05 PM   #66
JRCrosby

And here's where I mention the "JEEPERS!" set again. Someone really needs to do a Scooby Doo set. Think of all the cut auto possibilities.

Plus with "JEEPERS!", we already have a good start on the base cards!

www.facebook.com/JEEPERS

Old 02-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #67
TPW4

Newbie here. Attempting a first post on a thread. Hope I got it right.

This thread is intriguing educational and insightful. Makes me appreciate the card companies more. Sounds like a lot of work.

I had some thoughts/questions, in regards to the idea of the person starting a trading card production company.

1. Would getting licensing on a book or literary series be a little easier to get started with, rather than a tv series or film? Just wondering if there would be less sources to contact for obtaining licenses? To get the company going anyways? (Creating a portfolio, establishing contacts, etc.)

2. In regards to autographs/sketches/set ideas;
I imagine the current card companies get swarmed with ideas from collectors, fans, etc. Was wondering if aside from submitting ideas on card sets, purchasing cards, advertising (Getting the word out), etc. if there was a way for fans/collectors to help invite actors/artists to be a part of the sets?

These were general thoughts that I had as I read through the thread. Like I said it made me appreciate more the companies that produce the sets.

I have only within the past year returned to collecting. I was pleasantly surprised to find that trading cards now include autographs, sketch cards and relics? When I left holograms and freeze frames were the big things. And they were cool on there own. Imagine when I discovered that you could get a card set with the actors autograph, sketch cards from talented sketch artists, and relics from movies to complete a film/television show card set? (Mind blown)

All for now. Best to all.
TPW4 is offline   Reply With Quote