Blowout Cards Forums
AD Golden Auction 1 WEEKLY defualt

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

Notices

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #151
sketchcardn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I'm not so sure I'd give Hetrick a +1 based on a purchasing a completed card on eBay and being turned down for a commission... anyway...

I received a pair of PSCs I commissioned from board member David Rabbitte today. I reached out to him after he started his art thread Very happy with them and with him. Recommended! +1
I gave Meghan the A+ because at least took the time to let me know what was going on and pointed me in the direction of the other card I picked up. I can appreciate at least an artist communicating with me on why something couldn't be completed.
sketchcardn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #152
Spider-Fan

I've met Meghan and happen to think she is very nice, but I've never commissioned her so it would be misleading for me to give her a positive in the sketch commission feedback thread. If everybody starts posting feedback for people they didn't actually commission, it compromises the usefulness of the thread.
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #153
pinhead767

Quote:
Originally Posted by justice41 View Post
did you pay up front for it? Ya'll need to stop paying up front for these things. You never pay for quality food upfront only garbage fast food. If the person is serious they will get it done and if not no money lost just a person you'll never have to deal with again.
I've gotten commissions from Andrew Mangum, Sean Dietrich, Bill Maus, Dan Brereton, and Eric "Ebas" Basaldua, and every single one of them wanted payment upfront before they'd even start the commission. I never had any problem with any of them, except Dan Brereton. I commissioned a piece from him over a year ago, and the last communication I got from him or his agent was several months ago saying that I was next on the list. I haven't heard a thing from either since.
pinhead767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #154
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead767 View Post
I've gotten commissions from Andrew Mangum, Sean Dietrich, Bill Maus, Dan Brereton, and Eric "Ebas" Basaldua, and every single one of them wanted payment upfront before they'd even start the commission. I never had any problem with any of them, except Dan Brereton. I commissioned a piece from him over a year ago, and the last communication I got from him or his agent was several months ago saying that I was next on the list. I haven't heard a thing from either since.
Just to help me with the list, are you giving +s to the list (other than Brereton)?

Everyone else: updates will be coming later today, so if you have something you've been waiting on now would be a good time to get it recorded.
monkeymcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:02 AM   #155
pinhead767

Oh yeah. I'd give +s to all of them. I've gotten 4 commissions from Andrew and three from Bill Maus, and I've never had a problem with them, and Ebas moved me to the top of his list because he liked my idea, so I'd give him a +5 just for that.

Brereton still has potential though. I just contacted him through his Facebook page, so we'll see if he responds.

All my commissions were for full sized pieces, not sketch cards though.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #156
sketchcardn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I've met Meghan and happen to think she is very nice, but I've never commissioned her so it would be misleading for me to give her a positive in the sketch commission feedback thread. If everybody starts posting feedback for people they didn't actually commission, it compromises the usefulness of the thread.
I have updated my list as to not compromise the thread. Sorry for not being politically correct everyone. Just trying to give props to an artist out there.
sketchcardn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #157
pinhead767

Brereton is currently conversing with me on Facebook about my commission, so I'm a little more optimistic about that one. Between this and getting on Aype Beven's commission list today has been good. And expensive.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #158
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchcardn00b View Post
I have updated my list as to not compromise the thread. Sorry for not being politically correct everyone. Just trying to give props to an artist out there.
Spider-Fan was just trying to limit the scope the feedback--I don't think he was trying to be overly critical or politically correct. This thread is valuable for commission feedback--if we start putting everything in here, it loses some of that value (at least for the plus/minus list at the top).

What Meghan did was commendable and I think that is fine to note that in your reply here. I just would be against adding a + to the list for that since it wasn't actually a commission.

I hope you understand where we're coming from.

I received some feedback from a member who wished to remain anonymous. I received permission to post this feedback and will include it in the list.

Quote:
Mary Bellamy: + Truly awesome in every way. Cute art, responsive, collaborative, low cost, low shipping, fast turn around. Met her on this forum and have commissioned several things from her. A true delight.

Potratz & Hai: + Very good. ebay auction commission. Was for a pretty low price, so I got their "B" effort, but they were very responsive and collaborative and the art was very nice all the same.

Charles Hall: - Terrible. ebay commission auction. After prompt payment and 3 emails over 3 weeks, I never received ANY communication from him whatever even though he was active on eBay and still selling commissions. I got a refund. I don't know what happened, but no acknowledgment after a $96 payment is insulting. All I was asking for was to manage my expectations. Maybe that's unrealistic/too idealistic. I am so disappointed about it.

Danny Kuang: - Terrible. ebay commission auction. Sent me 3 emails over 3 months asking me what I wanted and I had replied all 3 times. I finally pointed that out to him. He got back to me and apologized and gave me a refund, but I had to pay the PayPal transaction fees (whatever).

Ashleigh Popplewell: + Very Good. ebay commission auction. Very collaborative and responsive after the auction. She did something that she normally doesn't do - spaceships - and seemed to enjoy it.

Veronica O'Connell: + AWESOME. I sent her an email and she said she was really busy and would get back to me. 6 weeks later, she didn't forget and the work was amazing. Did another and it's just as incredible and the process has been another delight with plenty of communication and great art.

Trev Murphy: + SUPER. Very responsive. The work was on par with art he sells himself. Ridiculously realistic, great knack for understanding & depicting beauty.
Updated through here
Old 08-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #159
Spider-Fan

Thanks Monkey. Once again I'm guilty of not fully explaining myself.

Purchasing a completed piece of art that is in hand and ready to ship is much different than commissioning a custom piece of art. When you purchase a completed piece of art, it just has to be shipped. Honestly, it really is irrelevant if you purchase it directly from the artist or a third party. When you commission a piece of art, communication and professionalism become very important. A lot of collectors only purchase completed work because they don't want to deal with the hassle of commissions. Likewise, many artists do not accept commissions for the same reason. Buying or selling a piece of completed artwork is just simpler. You know what the finished piece looks like immediately and you're going to have it in your hands after a couple of days.

Its great that Meghan pleasantly turned you down and directed you to artwork she had already completed that you could purchase, but you have no idea what the experience would have been like had she accepted your commission. If Monkey were to put a +1 by her name in the first post, other people would interpret that as a positive commission experience. If you read back through this thread, all the negatives come AFTER the commission is accepted (and usually after money has exchanged hands).

I've got a negative of my own to add. Rusty Gilligan. I've been waiting on my Cherry AEs since December. They were supposed to be completed in less than a month. I followed up about once a month and Rusty always had plenty of legitimate excuses. The last time Rusty responded to one of my emails was on March 7th. I emailed him on April 19th and May 14th with no response to either message. I saw him at Wizard World Philly on June 1st and he gave me a bunch of excuses for why he didn't respond to my emails or work on my cards, he insisted I take some free stuff from his table (most of which I turned down), and he assured me that the cards would be done in under a month. Needless to say I have not heard from or received anything from Rusty since. I sent him an email yesterday, but I'm not expecting a response. If and when there is a notable update on this experience, I will post again. Regardless though, Rusty Gilligan gets a -1 in my book and nothing he delivers at this point could change that.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #160
pinhead767

So, if anyone cares to see it, here's the commission I just got from Andrew Mangum. It's a Hack/Slash piece, and it's full 11x17 size.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #161
Spider-Fan

Nice! I was just telling a friend of mine that I need more Hack/Slash pieces in my collection.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:45 PM   #162
pinhead767

It started as a Buffy commission, then I changed it to Hack/Slash because I love that comic.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #163
pinhead767

I'd like to give a big + to Mary Bellamy. I commissioned a couple of cards from her on Wednesday of last week and got them in the mail today...and they look great.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #164
dd316

Thanks for all of the positive feedback, everyone. I know I fall behind very easily and sometimes things take embarrassingly long for me to complete. I likely won't turn commission requests down, but I'm usually kind of realistic about my work load and when I might be able to free up some time.

As it is, I recently got a commission finished for John Haun (who is a fantastic artist) that took about, oh.... more than a year. But John was awesome and very understanding and patient. If I've got outstanding work (meaning owed, not quality-wise ), I always answer inquiries as to what's up. Just know that I tend to take on more than I can handle, so I'm usually overloaded. I've currently got 8 sets I'm working on.

I have quite a bit of feedback I'd like to add to this thread, but it's all rather dated. But I think it's still worth sharing my experiences. I haven't commissioned anything in a long time, I need to go through my stuff and post my experiences.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #165
FAKadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I forget about this thread sometimes...

Frank Kadar: +1.

Did the Superman: The Legend AP sketch in around 2 weeks. Great communication and excellent work.
Thank you!
FAKadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #166
FAKadar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchcardn00b View Post

Frank Kadar - A++ (this was my first AP and Frank was very professional with great communication and updates throughout process. highly recommend)
Thanks dude!
FAKadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #167
monkeymcgee

Updated through here

Our top rated artists so far are Frank Kadar, Rich Hennemann, and Mary Bellamy all with 6 positive commissions

Close behind, Ted Dastick, Tim Proctor, and Ashleigh Popplewell all have 5 positives.

Thanks everyone for your continued participation. I've received a lot of positive PMs about this thread from artists and collectors.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #168
coalregion

My latest Contemporary Pinups AP from Doug Riggsby and Emily Riggsby. I requested a pirate theme. For the price some of their sketch cards from the set are going for this was a bargin! +1

Old 08-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #169
ViceroyCards

We weren't sure where else to put this without making a big deal out of it, but we did want to put it out there so collectors can be safe when purchasing AP's. We figured this was a good place since those who get commissions and AP's check here for feedback.

David Day did not complete his Carnival sketches, but claims he sent back the blanks and AP's. Unfortunately we never received them, and no tracking or shipping info has been provided. So if you happen to see any Viceroy Carnival sketches or AP's by David Day, or anyone who wasn't on the set that may end up with his blank allotment by any means (mail theft, eBay, etc), they are not officially part of the set. We will provide a small reward however if you come across anyone trying to sell them.

Again we don't want to make a big deal about it and call anyone out because that's not our style, but we did want to let collectors know about the missing blanks incase they pop up somewhere. This is more about making sure you guys don't get screwed on some sketches that aren't part of the set. Thanks!

Last edited by ViceroyCards; 08-21-2013 at 08:32 PM.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 PM   #170
monkeymcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViceroyCards View Post
We weren't sure where else to put this without making a big deal out of it, but we did want to put it out there so collectors can be safe when purchasing AP's. We figured this was a good place since those who get commissions and AP's check here for feedback.

David Day did not complete his Carnival sketches, but claims he sent back the blanks and AP's. Unfortunately we never received them, and no tracking or shipping info has been provided. So if you happen to see any Viceroy Carnival sketches or AP's by David Day, or anyone who wasn't on the set that may end up with his blank allotment by any means (mail theft, eBay, etc), they are not officially part of the set. We will provide a small reward however if you come across anyone trying to sell them.

Again we don't want to make a big deal about it and call anyone out because that's not our style, but we did want to let collectors know about the missing blanks incase they pop up somewhere. This is more about making sure you guys don't get screwed on some sketches that aren't part of the set. Thanks!
I'll add a special note to the artist list to call attention to this.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #171
ViceroyCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
I'll add a special note to the artist list to call attention to this.
Cool thanks. You can stick it at the bottom as it's not too pressing of an issue, just wanted to let you guys know.
ViceroyCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #172
coalregion

I just received a Dungeon Dolls AP from Amy Clark. What a great person to work with...great communication from beginning to end, and awesome sketch. She only took a limited amount of sketches (5 I believe) and I hope to get in on her next round. +1
Old 09-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #173
monkeymcgee

Updated through here

[Also added my feedback for Gary Kezele]
Old 09-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #174
Chuck Bartowski

Not surprising about David Day...he owes a lot of people commissions.
Chuck Bartowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #175
ekalbnz

I would just like to add after spending the past couple hours reading through this thread and checking out links provided by people, thanks very much to everyone who has posted in here. It has been very informative and a great thread for a newbie like myself!
ekalbnz is offline   Reply With Quote