Blowout Cards Forums
April Showers

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > Member Sales/Trade Feedback & Hobby Scams

Notices

Member Sales/Trade Feedback & Hobby Scams Share feedback on Buyers, Sellers, and Traders

Old 06-22-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Jon_21

Default Scammed by DaBroncs28 (Eric Decker Supercollector) - Shayne Davis - Parker, CO 80134

Shayne Davis
shayne.shayn@aol.com

Shipping address
Shayne Davis
19826 E Briargate Lane 2B
Parker, CO 80134
United States

Also received the video in question from this email - yellowmonster28@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/shayne.davis1

(Sorry for the long read but the details and timeline are important here to show how he got exposed)

Many months ago I reached out to DaBroncs28 hoping to help out his impressive Eric Decker collection as I have a few of his rarer rookie year cards. The ones he ended up buying were these 2:

2010 SPx Rookie Auto Patch #10/10
2010 Absolute Memorabilia Triple Patch #07/50

My collection is not well organized so I finally got around to finding the cards last month and reached out to him. He was interested and we traded some PMs and text messages. I sent him pictures of the front and back of the cards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front of Two Cards Sold.jpg
Views:	1397
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	377591

Name:	Back of Two Cards Sold.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	454.9 KB
ID:	377592

We agreed on a price and he paid on May 26th. I shipped several days after he paid and sent in a bubble mailer via regular mail (no shipping confirmation # or signature confirmation as that can cost $20-30 from Canada to the U.S. and not worth it for a transaction of this size for either party).

A week or two pass and he is in contact with me via text telling me the cards have not been received. Knowing this is out of my control I can only hope USPS gets it to him as soon as possible which can take anywhere from 5-15 business days.

On June 11th a Paypal claim was opened which I noticed on the 12th and immediately texted him that I would have appreciated a heads-up as it actually put a hold on the funds and my account was now overdrawn which caused other complications. I know it had been 2 weeks but it was completely reasonable that it was still en route considering I had packages with tracking #'s coming from the U.S. taking 2 weeks+. I am not well versed in Paypal buyer protection think he has a long time to file a claim should he choose.

Anyways, days pass and we continue to trade texts every few days on the status. He kept claiming nothing had arrived, he checks mail every day, gave a picture of the package I sent him to the post office, etc. ... "I have no clue if it's going to show up or not. I guess if you either want to offer a refund or I push the claim through. That's your choice. If it shows up, I promise to resend the money."

A few days ago I noticed that he had updated his Decker thread with a new picture posted on June 15th (post #270).

http://www.blowoutforums.com/showthr...2#post12408932

Name:	Dabroncs28 Decker Post.JPG
Views:	549
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	377602

The card on the top left looked very similar to the one I sold and shipped to him. Could it be a coincidence that the 3 Prime Patches are identical? Quite possibly but unlikely given a print run of 50.

Sure the plain white swatch for the N is common and it is possible more than one L swatch has the same white/orange patch split. The black markings on the football on the F being identical with curves in the same places? Highly unlikely.

At this point I decided to text him yesterday morning about this and tell him I am not accusing him of anything but that it would give me comfort that this is a complete coincidence if he can send me a video of the front and back of the card in question (top left in his post). He agrees and says he will later when he gets home. Nothing comes.

I followed up this morning and eventually he sends me a video. However, the video is of the "same" card but not really. The patch on the N matches up, the L is pretty much the same white patch with a small bit of orange in the top left corner but the F is a plain football patch with no black markings at all. The serial # on this card is #38/50.

Name:	Screen Shot from Video - No Black Marks on Football.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	377598

Name:	Screen Shot from Video - Back.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	377599

Busted! I let him know this was not the same card explaining the difference in the ball markings and he was adamant he didn't receive the cards and held firm. I let him know that I would have to contact Paypal to protect my own interests, offered him the opportunity to close the claim to make it easier for both of us being a reasonable guy, keep his reputation on Blowout in tact, etc. Complete silence. No response since.

Silence after responding regularly the last few weeks speaks volumes to me.

He quite possibly has a dozen or two of this same card in his collection. In his photobucket he has 8 of them in the picture below which shows me how different the patches can look and further convinces me that the one he posted is what he bought from me.

Name:	Photobucket of Other Copies #50.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	377594

Am I missing something here? Or did he try to circumvent the Paypal claims system and take advantage of the situation? Buyer shipped without a tracking #, quick easy way to save a few bucks ... not a good move.

I don't expect him to post the SPx Auto Patch anytime soon given the serial #10/10 is on the front of the card. He got busted with the Absolute Triple as he slipped up thinking it was OK and clear with the serial # on the back ... then tried to slip one by me sending video of a different card.

I spoke to Paypal and escalated this to a Supervisor. Based on the evidence explained on the phone they immediately released the funds back to me so good to know they don't always side with the Buyer. However I am still not in the clear as I have sent them all the above and more with other screenshots for them to review and rule on this case. I would think this is considered compelling evidence and any reasonable person sees what happened here.

Let me know if I am going crazy?
Jon_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Soxrule111

Sounds Sketchy, hope it works out for you.
Soxrule111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
vwnut13

Looks like it's time for the #BANHAMMER!
vwnut13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #4
mcgahee21nfl
Inactive Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_21 View Post
(Sorry for the long read but the details and timeline are important here to show how he got exposed)

Many months ago I reached out to DaBroncs28 hoping to help out his impressive Eric Decker collection as I have a few of his rarer rookie year cards. The ones he ended up buying were these 2:

2010 SPx Rookie Auto Patch #10/10
2010 Absolute Memorabilia Triple Patch #07/50

My collection is not well organized so I finally got around to finding the cards last month and reached out to him. He was interested and we traded some PMs and text messages. I sent him pictures of the front and back of the cards.

Attachment 377591
Attachment 377592

We agreed on a price and he paid on May 26th. I shipped several days after he paid and sent in a bubble mailer via regular mail (no shipping confirmation # or signature confirmation as that can cost $20-30 from Canada to the U.S. and not worth it for a transaction of this size for either party).

A week or two pass and he is in contact with me via text telling me the cards have not been received. Knowing this is out of my control I can only hope USPS gets it to him as soon as possible which can take anywhere from 5-15 business days.

On June 11th a Paypal claim was opened which I noticed on the 12th and immediately texted him that I would have appreciated a heads-up as it actually put a hold on the funds and my account was now overdrawn which caused other complications. I know it had been 2 weeks but it was completely reasonable that it was still en route considering I had packages with tracking #'s coming from the U.S. taking 2 weeks+. I am not well versed in Paypal buyer protection think he has a long time to file a claim should he choose.

Anyways, days pass and we continue to trade texts every few days on the status. He kept claiming nothing had arrived, he checks mail every day, gave a picture of the package I sent him to the post office, etc. ... "I have no clue if it's going to show up or not. I guess if you either want to offer a refund or I push the claim through. That's your choice. If it shows up, I promise to resend the money."

A few days ago I noticed that he had updated his Decker thread with a new picture posted on June 15th (post #270).

http://www.blowoutforums.com/showthr...2#post12408932

Attachment 377602

The card on the top left looked very similar to the one I sold and shipped to him. Could it be a coincidence that the 3 Prime Patches are identical? Quite possibly but unlikely given a print run of 50.

Sure the plain white swatch for the N is common and it is possible more than one L swatch has the same white/orange patch split. The black markings on the football on the F being identical with curves in the same places? Highly unlikely.

At this point I decided to text him yesterday morning about this and tell him I am not accusing him of anything but that it would give me comfort that this is a complete coincidence if he can send me a video of the front and back of the card in question (top left in his post). He agrees and says he will later when he gets home. Nothing comes.

I followed up this morning and eventually he sends me a video. However, the video is of the "same" card but not really. The patch on the N matches up, the L is pretty much the same white patch with a small bit of orange in the top left corner but the F is a plain football patch with no black markings at all. The serial # on this card is #38/50.

Attachment 377598
Attachment 377599

Busted! I let him know this was not the same card explaining the difference in the ball markings and he was adamant he didn't receive the cards and held firm. I let him know that I would have to contact Paypal to protect my own interests, offered him the opportunity to close the claim to make it easier for both of us being a reasonable guy, keep his reputation on Blowout in tact, etc. Complete silence. No response since.

Silence after responding regularly the last few weeks speaks volumes to me.

He quite possibly has a dozen or two of this same card in his collection. In his photobucket he has 8 of them in the picture below which shows me how different the patches can look and further convinces me that the one he posted is what he bought from me.

Attachment 377594

Am I missing something here? Or did he try to circumvent the Paypal claims system and take advantage of the situation? Buyer shipped without a tracking #, quick easy way to save a few bucks ... not a good move.

I don't expect him to post the SPx Auto Patch anytime soon given the serial #10/10 is on the front of the card. He got busted with the Absolute Triple as he slipped up thinking it was OK and clear with the serial # on the back ... then tried to slip one by me sending video of a different card.

I spoke to Paypal and escalated this to a Supervisor. Based on the evidence explained on the phone they immediately released the funds back to me so good to know they don't always side with the Buyer. However I am still not in the clear as I have sent them all the above and more with other screenshots for them to review and rule on this case. I would think this is considered compelling evidence and any reasonable person sees what happened here.

Let me know if I am going crazy?
You aren't going crazy. Pending everything you said is true, he obviously stole from you. The card you sold him is clearly identical to the one he posted... and when you asked to see it, he clearly sent a video of another card.

Very shady. He should be banned shortly. People that do this are the lowest of the low. I've been stolen from many times, always by people who stated they never received, and it's always clear that they actually did.

It was nice of you to offer him the chance to come clean, but he did not deserve that.
mcgahee21nfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
ThoseBackPages

this is horrible.

Sorry this is happening to you
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Dabroncs28
Banned

I didn't scam you. I talked with you tried to figure it out and gave it a deadline of when I would just push the case through. That was a month's worth of time. I figured that was long enough to wait for it. I also told you that if they did show up, I would be more then happy to send the money again. I have not received the cards you sent, if you look through my thread you will see I post everything I get and a card happens to look similar to the one you sold me. I have plenty of people I have done deals with on here, spent well over a thousand dollars with one member specifically and no problems. I am not out to get you or the $85 in question. I tried being polite with you but don't appreciate being called a scammer. There are 50 cards exactly or nearly exact of the one you sold me and I have bought several of them. I've worked to tirelessly on my collection on this site and to dump it over chump change seems incredibly foolish. I nearly stopped responding because I didn't know what else to say. You have a picture of the card at a distance and I send you a video of it up close and it doesn't match? Give me a break. If need be I can bring in vouches from several deals in the past from here, Facebook, Instagram, or eBay.
Dabroncs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
vwnut13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabroncs28 View Post
You have a picture of the card at a distance and I send you a video of it up close and it doesn't match?

What happened to the text on the football?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
ThoseBackPages

Quote:
I didn't scam you. I talked with you tried to figure it out and gave it a deadline of when I would just push the case through. That was a month's worth of time. I figured that was long enough to wait for it. I also told you that if they did show up, I would be more then happy to send the money again. I have not received the cards you sent, if you look through my thread you will see I post everything I get and a card happens to look similar to the one you sold me. I have plenty of people I have done deals with on here, spent well over a thousand dollars with one member specifically and no problems. I am not out to get you or the $85 in question. I tried being polite with you but don't appreciate being called a scammer. There are 50 cards exactly or nearly exact of the one you sold me and I have bought several of them. I've worked to tirelessly on my collection on this site and to dump it over chump change seems incredibly foolish. I nearly stopped responding because I didn't know what else to say. You have a picture of the card at a distance and I send you a video of it up close and it doesn't match? Give me a break. If need be I can bring in vouches from several deals in the past from here, Facebook, Instagram, or eBay.
oh my!
Politics, Religion, Third Party Grading, and 2021 Bowman's Best Rookie Cards
ThoseBackPages is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
TWard
Banned

Well this is gonna get interesting....
TWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #10
Siberian13

Get the mods to handle this and all should work out.
Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
pgisback

Quote:
You have a picture of the card at a distance and I send you a video of it up close and it doesn't match? Give me a break. If need be I can bring in vouches from several deals in the past from here, Facebook, Instagram, or eBay.
Yea, that's gonna be a problem here. I don't think you'll convince anyone those are the same card but it's just the distances. One clearly has the black markings of a football that is common on those absolute cards and one doesn't. If it's a mistake, just show the other card.
pgisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM   #12
RW3FAN

RW3FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
vwnut13

Comparison of said cards. Click for Full Size.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
Dabroncs28
Banned

I will be back home Monday. I will resend a picture/ video of all the cards I have that look like that one.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #15
gingerscards
Banned

Just cracked a bag of Smartfood
gingerscards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #16
RAV2773

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerscards View Post
Just cracked a bag of Smartfood
Close it back up. We have to wait til Monday now
RAV2773 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #17
Jon_21

Quote:
I find it unusual that you ignored my texts all day today where I was beyond reasonable. Multiple times I gave you the benefit of the doubt and really chalked it up to bad luck and a coincidence until you sent me the video this morning of a different card.

Would have no issues posting our entire text conversation from Day 1. That doesn't bother me as I agree you have been quite responsive and reasonable. And I think I have been more than patient and fair knowing full well Paypal took the funds from me 10 days ago and outside of you admitting the cards showed up I am out of luck as there is no delivery confirmation.

Then I noticed this picture you posted and I had to see whether this was the one #07/50 I sent you. Had you not sent a video of something else this would have played out quite differently. The reasonable request was for a video of the card in question in the top left and you sent something else (why? sounds sketchy). When you say a card looks similar yes they are the same Prime card #/50 but it is SO CLEAR that the pictured card is different from the one you sent me a video for knowing full well it is the top left one I requested. The black marks on the ball are identical versus the one you sent with ZERO markings.

Why people do this I don't know ... many years ago a similar situation happened to me with a low numbered Carey Price auto which I ended up seeing on the person's photobucket. That person had a ridiculously high dollar value collection ... why he chose to scam an 18 year old for $50 I will never know. So saying you have done many transactions and even one for a thousand holds little weight to me as maybe those transactions didn't present this type of opportunity to file a claim.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #18
Siberian13

I hate jumping to conclusions but I do it all the time and want to be first with a nice GIF

Siberian13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #19
Dabroncs28
Banned

I see where you are coming from, I do. Neither of us want to be out the money or the cards. Ignoring your texts want the correct response but I will clear this up Monday when I get home. Fair enough?
Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #20
Jon_21

Quote:
I will be back home Monday. I will resend a picture/ video of all the cards I have that look like that one.
It is not an issue of finding one that "looks like that one". To me it is that one when someone tries to pull a fast one on me. Why did you not send a video of the top left one in question this morning?

Or you could have said sorry picked up the wrong card as another poster aluded to and will send you the right one (even if it was Monday) I would have been reasonable and waited trusting it was possible.

Time has now past and you responded differently so not sure you can back track on that.

I will even try to help you out some more (don't think many others would do this) ... since it was posted on June 15th as a recent pickup, I would think you know who and where you acquired it from. The one in the middle on the top row looks like it came from a June 3rd eBay purchase.

If you got it from eBay or another source, do they have a picture of that card?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Absolut...p2047675.l2557

I would think it would not take until Monday to say where the card came from given it was likely purchased 2-3 weeks ago similar to mine.

Last edited by Jon_21; 06-22-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:00 PM   #21
Dabroncs28
Banned

I picked it up from a local sports card show. I will get in touch with who I bought it from and reasons as soon as I get something.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #22
cardsharkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV2773 View Post
Close it back up. We have to wait til Monday now
This made me laugh really loud!
cardsharkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #23
IronMonkey415
Banned

Great way to start the NEW website.
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #24
Jon_21

Quote:
I picked it up from a local sports card show. I will get in touch with who I bought it from and reasons as soon as I get something.
What do you mean by "reasons as soon as I get something"?

I would like to believe you but you're making it harder and harder. It is hard to believe a memorabilia card from 2010 numbered to 50 that you pick up from a local sports card show recently happens to look exactly like the one I sent you 3 weeks ago ... all 3 patches?? Especially when the 8 posted on your site all look quite different.

I would love to be wrong and for the mail to show up tomorrow. Trying to be as independent as possible and keep an open mind but this all seems extremely sketchy.

If anything it makes me think you want to by some time until Monday to go through all the ones you have to see if you can find a better match or swap out the patches from your collection to preserve your reputation.

You were given all day to respond and defend yourself. This morning after you sent me the video I sent you many texts including the following: "The silence doesn't help and speaks volumes. Let me know if you want to admit the cards arrived I can hold off otherwise you leave me little to no choice but to protect my own interests. I'm an easy going guy and think your reputation on Blowout means something so if you made a mistake trying to scam me let me know and I'll let it go assuming the claim is dropped".
Old 06-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #25
ark8085

I having a feeling a can't fix stupid gif is coming up...
ark8085 is offline   Reply With Quote