Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 10-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
IndySportsCards

Default DO NOT sleep on Doomsday Clock, Watchmen are back

This could be HUGE for the DC universe. Check out these preview pages by Geoff Johns. I'm super excited for this!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:19 AM   #2
digitalbc

Yeah Iím pretty excited. Some people want Watchmen to be hands off, but I love Watchmen and want to see more done with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
digitalbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #3
jdandns

I agree. DC's desire to keep this property (rather than let the copyrights be transferred to Moore and Gibbons by letting the original collection of it go out of print for one year, which Moore took them at their word they would do) is pretty much why the greatest comic writer ever hasn't since and won't ever write directly for DC comics again. They might as well squeeze it for all it's worth. In the long run, they'll probably make more money going the route they chose, but is a little sad that some of the absolute best Superman and Wonder Woman stories of all-time are called "Supreme" and "Promethea" and didn't carry the DC logo.

The "Before Watchmen" stories were only OK, but much of the artwork was spectacular, so it was a worthy effort for that alone. I suspect the same will be true for this, although being able to mix in the DCU characters should supercharge story possibilities, hopefully resulting in a great read.

For those purists who hate the idea of all of this, just remember: they cannot touch your sweet memories.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:35 AM   #4
Spunky245

Midtown Times Square's 11:57 event tonight was INSANE. The line was wrapped around the aisles of the store three times! I picked up the 11:57 and lenticular variants, a cool free metal pin and some WW temp tattoos. I also managed to snag the second to last copy of HQ #1 Ultra-Limited Pink SS signed by Jae Lee!

All in all, a great night for geekery!

Spunky245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:25 AM   #5
MisterNatural

Lame and lazy of DC to do this.
Way to go watering down a masterpiece.
The current hype will wane and then...who cares.
But, have fun with it for now.
Cheers!
MisterNatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNatural View Post
Lame and lazy of DC to do this.
Way to go watering down a masterpiece.
The current hype will wane and then...who cares.
But, have fun with it for now.
Cheers!
I'll wait until I read it all to make any sort of generalization on how/if it's watered down. I don't think them expanding the story in any way waters down the classic. If anything, it won't live up to it, but could be the right story we need at this time for the expanding DC Universe.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
IndySportsCards

Hrm....

Lots of people at the store for a midnight opening, with the exclusive black-and-white 11.57pm cover for participating retailers. And no one wants them, they all want the Rorschach lenticular variant, taking Dave Gibbons artwork and transforming the inkblots into the Warner Bros DCEU superhero IP properties.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #8
Morgoth

I love Watchmen and think it is the first serious attempt to make superhero comics have a real social meaning and expanded the medium to allow for what we take granted today.

I will give this a try but DC is so hit and miss on nostalgia.
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
jdandns

Just read the first issue. I got the lenticular Rorschach mask cover from my subscription service. Pretty good read, but obviously an impossible task for any writer to follow Moore, and not be found wanting. It's basically takes place 6 years after the events of the original series, so 1992.

Nice art from Frank and a good use of the characters so far, including the all-new Mime and Marionette, created by Johns and based on the obscure Charlton characters Punch and Jewelee, in much the same way the Watchmen characters were themselves echoes of Charlton characters (necessitated by the fact that DC did not want to radicalize their then-newly acquired Charlton characters as the subject matter of "Watchmen" would have).

There's even supplemental material at the back, as in the original series. All five black and white crossover promotional ads (in the style of the 6 made for the original series) are also included, a nice touch since actual DC characters barely appear in the first issue.

I have to order a couple of months in advance anyway for the discount, so I've already committed to at least three issues, but will likely follow this one all the way.

Last edited by jdandns; 12-10-2017 at 01:15 PM.
jdandns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:21 PM   #10
Morgoth

Missed going to the LCS this week but will pick up this and Batman Metal just to see what all the fuss is.

Not having Rorschach is a tough one though
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
Grza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
Missed going to the LCS this week but will pick up this and Batman Metal just to see what all the fuss is.

Not having Rorschach is a tough one though
Who said there's no Rorschach?
Grza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #12
majestik101

Back when they released Before Watchmen I bought the entire run. No way am I getting suckered again.

I still say that the "spiritual successor" to the Original Watchmen is Astro City.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
jdandns

I totally divorced it from the original Watchmen in mind (as I'm doing with this. I consider these to be "Elseworlds" tales, whatever DC says). In that way, "Before Watchmen" was a pretty good read, and a lot of the art was exquisite, especially Darwyn Cooke (rest in peace), so I thought the whole thing was worthwhile.

I think the Mime and the Marionette are going to be very popular from this one. They've got a Joker/Harley thing going instantly. They already seem like formidable fighters, and we haven't even seen them in their costumes yet.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik101 View Post
back when they released before watchmen i bought the entire run. No way am i getting suckered again.

I still say that the "spiritual successor" to the original watchmen is astro city.
yep-passed on that one, passing on this. But, i will say i have made a killing on watchmen back issues.......
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
Grza

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank is reason alone to read a series imho. But having the Watchmen universe as part of the multiverse that is bleeding into DCU somehow? So cool! And havent you wondered what their world was like after Ozy's master plan was executed? I've wanted to read a story like this for decades, surprised so many people are instantly dismissive of it. First issue was incredible.
Grza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
KRAVEN4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestik101 View Post
Back when they released Before Watchmen I bought the entire run. No way am I getting suckered again.

I still say that the "spiritual successor" to the Original Watchmen is Astro City.
To bad I cashes in huge on before watchmen I don't know how you didn't atleast triple your money.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
KRAVEN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM   #17
majestik101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAVEN4LIFE View Post
To bad I cashes in huge on before watchmen I don't know how you didn't atleast triple your money.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
I still own the entire run in unread condition. Even a lot of the variant covers too. Just waiting for the right time....

I also own the entire run of the first New 52, with a ton of variant covers. Again, just waiting for the right time....
Old 12-13-2017, 12:44 AM   #18
mma138

number 2 come out yet?
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #19
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma138 View Post
number 2 come out yet?
Comes out 12/27
Old 12-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #20
IndySportsCards

Old 04-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #21
jdandns

Just read #4, and they've introduced yet another cool new character, and really fleshed out the new Rorschach, giving a pretty detailed history of the 6 year aftermath of Veidt's devastating plan in the process. A lengthy visit with Byron "Mothman" Lewis up at the bughouse in Maine is at the heart of the issue, and very well done.

30 pages of story, with some great art here, and I think the new characters introduced in this series (at least three standouts so far) will be published in other stories down the line, so these are cheap first appearances (for now).