Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 04-03-2018, 06:51 PM   #726
Lothar

Looks like the Iron Spider suit legs are at least utilized in Infinity War and visually confirmed if this is to be trusted:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/a...1&noRedirect=1

Is that really close enough of a look to make more demand for Amazing Spider-Man #529 above what it is already?
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #727
Spider-Fan

Probably
Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #728
jdandns

The new movie "Ready Player One" is essentially a "Willy Wonka" story in which players of a virtual online game called Oasis have a chance to find an Easter egg within the game that would award them ownership of the entire thing. The life of the creator of the game, who launched the contest with a video message after his passing, is meticulously studied by the players in effort to get clues that will lead to the Easter egg.

Minor spoilers related to the comic book connections in the film in white below:

At one point, there is a scene where a corporation out to find the Easter egg has some of the many people it has hired for that endeavor frantically going through comics books the creator had read looking for clues, in order to gain ownership of the enormously popular game for their employer. While I'm certain there are some real comic books in this scene (as opposed to titles invented for the book/movie), I wasn't able to make any out.

However, towards the end of the movie, we are given a glimpse of the creator's bedroom when he was a child (in the 1980's), and at the top of a pile of comic books, you can clearly see this one:

This is DC Comics' Swamp Thing #43 from writer Alan Moore, issued in 1985. In it, the pros and cons of the kind of knowledge that can result from eating one of the psychotropic vegetable tubers that fall from the Swamp Thing's body (the results of which were so memorably first glimpsed in issue #34's classic story "The Rites of Spring") are explored, which is fitting, because in this scene, the hero of the story is given the last of the information he needs. Will it be a good thing or a bad thing for him? See the movie and find out.

Also appearing in this movie are Batman, Batgirl, Spawn, TMNT, Kaneda's famed red motorcycle from "Akira", the 1966 Batmobile, GUNDAM, and an avatar version of Clark Kent, and probably a lot of others I didn't catch. I'm looking forward to seeing it again on BluRay, so I can pause certain frames. There's lots going on in this one.

Last edited by jdandns; 04-05-2018 at 06:20 PM.
jdandns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:08 PM   #729
AOClubs

spoiler alert?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #730
jdandns

I purposely didn't reveal the end, but the movie's already been out a week. I'd say this one is must for comic book fans. What are you waiting for?
That said, sorry for any spoilers that were in there. The paragraph that remains visible is from the first couple of minutes of the movie, even before the (short) title sequence. I've amended the above...

Last edited by jdandns; 04-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #731
Morgoth

Disney bought Fox so now there are going to be tons of new possibilities for Movie and TV characters
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:42 AM   #732
Insanity

so after spending over $260 for the guy rejects every single thing he asked me to get for him
Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #733
Jinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
so after spending over $260 for the guy rejects every single thing he asked me to get for him

Who? Was it someone here?
Jinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:57 AM   #734
rcuello

Quote:
What stuff did you get ? Maybe some of us will buy what you have ?
rcuello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #735
IndySportsCards

Quote:
What happened? You can probably offer it here and there will be takers
Old 04-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #736
hipywolf

I hadnt see this on here yet and thought it was pretty funny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RJar1XX.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	412514  
hipywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #737
SlackerBoy9

Just saw that Jim Lee has a cover for Batman 45 that has bumped out the Coipel cover for next weeks issue . With it being a last minute addition it might be a bit hot
SlackerBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:26 AM   #738
jdandns

Here's an actual order form of mine from almost 25 years ago. As you can see, I was one of those "Vertigo" kids (well, 22, anyway) who wore plenty of black clothes and listened to the Cure and Depeche Mode. Anyway, see if you can spot my mistake. (Hint: it's in the DC section, towards the bottom center, puddin').

And here's the rest. You'll notice I kept the total to $59.95. The reason for that was shipping went up to $7.80 (from $7.20) once you passed the $60 mark. In retrospect, I do wish I'd spent another 90 cents (or two), on the above page. This wasn't my full purchase for that month, though, as I'd regularly augment my purchases with trips to the comic store and even supermarkets, convenience stores, and book stores at the mall, all of which sold comics in those days. The ones I ordered were the ones I wanted to make sure not to miss. I also have the DC Direct Currents from that month. I only wish for BA #12 they'd have written something like "contains the first appearance of one of the most popular characters of the next 25 years, one you'll likely be able to sell for hundreds of dollars". I might have actually bought one if it said that, but no, it didn't even mention her.

Interestingly (perhaps), I got the back stock of a long-time comic stores wall posters about 5 years ago, and I have most of the posters offered in the poster section.

Last edited by jdandns; 04-11-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:05 AM   #739
hipywolf

That's pretty awesome! I refuse to relive the 90's as I made some retrospectively terrible trades when valiant was super hot.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #740
arek

I was looking through my comics last night and found two copies of Adventures of Superman #500. 25 years ago, I was certain they'd be highly collectible in the future

Last edited by arek; 04-12-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: typo
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:47 PM   #741
Morgoth

Valiant comics were the best and worst at the same time. I know the pre-Unity books and later books are still worth something but everything in the middle people thought were going to be worth thousands like the Turok 1
Morgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:17 AM   #742
arek

The hype for Deathmate was crazy. Amercian Entertainment had a deal where you could could get the gold variant if you ordered 100 copies of the regular edition, and one of my friends actually did.
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #743
IndySportsCards

Your mistake is glaring now, but back then, just one of many. Who knew it would be so key.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #744
IndyKMB

I believe your mistake was not ordering multiple copies of Omaha the Cat Dancer from the Adults Only section.

Yes?
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #745
natbornkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKMB View Post
I believe your mistake was not ordering multiple copies of Omaha the Cat Dancer from the Adults Only section.

Yes?
you sure it wasnt batman adventures 12 ?
Old 04-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #746
IndyKMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by natbornkiller View Post
you sure it wasnt batman adventures 12 ?
I know.... How painful is it to see an item like that for 90-cents and know that you had a chance to place marks on that line.
IndyKMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #747
jdandns

Well, even worse, as I mentioned, I would regularly augment my pre-order at comics shops and the like once the books were actually issued a few months later, to pick up anything I missed or to double-up on certain books, so there's no way I didn't see BA #12 on the racks. Beyond that, for a good couple of years after it was issued, I would regularly check the back issue bins at comics shops for Batman Adventures...looking for extra copies of #7, which had a Topps Man-Bat promo trading card. I do have a few of those, haha. There's absolutely no way that there weren't some #12's in those bins, probably for about $1.25 through 1996 or so, when most of the comics stores began going out of business in earnest anyway.
I wish I'd watched the Animated Series when it first aired and not about a decade later. I probably would've known the first comic appearance of Harley was something to get, at least one copy anyway, but yeah, how great would it have been to order 40 copies for only $36 and just put them aside?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #748
jdandns

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyKMB View Post

Yes?
Yep, you got it! Sexy cats is where it's at, haha!

You can kind of tell where my head was in those days. I'd widely collected Marvel Superheroes from around 1984 through 1992, but by 1993, I was just getting Marvels written by Peter David (who also wrote that "Soulsearchers" comic I ordered) plus the regular X-Men and Uncanny X-Men titles out of a habit that wouldn't die, even though to this day, I've still only read the first couple of issues of X-Men and probably have not ever read the last 100 or so issues of Uncanny X-Men I bought. I stopped reading them around #300, so even the #304 on the order form, I've yet to read, 25 years later.

Beyond that, it was all of the DC Vertigo titles, plus a lone mainstream Legends of the Dark Knight 50 I bought solely for the awesome Brian Bolland Joker cover (that one has a scary cat on it, as I recall. So many cats!), the exciting new Topps and Dark Horse Comics Super-Hero lines (again, d'oh) and work from several creators I follow to this day: Rick Veitch, Alan Moore, Matt Wagner, and Howard Chaykin.

Oh, and Spawn. I bought Spawn for a the first 40 issues, even though the writing was terrible, except the Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman issues. I was a big fan of McFarlane's art on Amazing Spider-Man and especially his Hulk comics (with those great Peter David scripts), though, so that hooked me for a few years of Spawn.

Ah, memories...

Last edited by jdandns; 04-12-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #749
hipywolf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rise-Of-The...QAAOSwgBNax5ZL

So this was worth this much because it is his dna? Or did I miss something?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #750
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipywolf View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rise-Of-The...QAAOSwgBNax5ZL

So this was worth this much because it is his dna? Or did I miss something?
It's just sick, selling human body parts basically. I'm surprised Ebay allowed it up for auction.