Blowout Cards Forums
Trending

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 03-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
TOMBB25

Default Silicon Valley Comic-Con - Anyone going?

Coming up April 6-8 in San Jose, anyone going, or have attended this in the past?

Looks like it is quite a bit larger than SF Comic Con which my son and I have attended the first two years, looks like we are going to go to SVCC instead this year.

Still more info coming out but SVCC seems to have panels and a lot more artists and signers. Already got a Lt. Starbuck pop and bought an auto ticket to get Katie Sackhoff's auto.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
rokstarr99

What can I have Christina Ricci sign...
rokstarr99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
IndySportsCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokstarr99 View Post
What can I have Christina Ricci sign...
Have her sign your chain

Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
cardbooker

I'm sitting out this year. I was planning to go for Stan Lee but all of his autographs and photo-ops suddenly sold out a few weeks ago. I'll have to catch him at SDCC. There are a couple of big names like David Tennant and Mads Mikkelsen announced, but I don't think CGC is at the show.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM   #5
TOMBB25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardbooker View Post
I'm sitting out this year. I was planning to go for Stan Lee but all of his autographs and photo-ops suddenly sold out a few weeks ago. I'll have to catch him at SDCC. There are a couple of big names like David Tennant and Mads Mikkelsen announced, but I don't think CGC is at the show.
I believe Stan Lee may have cancelled, I guess he just cancelled at a bunch of his show and they removed him from the list. That was their big name, so I'm not sure if they are gonna try to get someone else, or just roll without him.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #6
rice71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardbooker View Post
I think it's canceled too. They just put sold out so they can probably sell more tickets then a week or two before the show they will say he canceled.
rice71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Rip67vdub

Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow
2017-2018 NBA World Champions Golden State Warriors

Last edited by Rip67vdub; 03-20-2018 at 09:09 PM.
Rip67vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #8
IndySportsCards

Stan probably isn't doing any more cons. I'm being told one ONE private signing this year and that's probably it
Old 03-21-2018, 12:18 AM   #9
Rip67vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Stan probably isn't doing any more cons. I'm being told one ONE private signing this year and that's probably it
It's unfortunate, but I don't blame the guy. Needs to enjoy the rest of his time spent with family and friends before he expires.
2017-2018 NBA World Champions Golden State Warriors
Rip67vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #10
Stat Monsters

Silicon Valley Comic Con is one of the weakest of shows outside of Wizard World for comics, it's a pop culture event, and an expensive one like a lame version of Creation Conventions. The predecessor, The Big Wow Comic Fest was an awesome show, and what Steve Woz did in creating SVCC was build a lame brand and destroying a known quality show by changing the very things that made that show successful.

You can probably google search reviews on the SVCC and read what type of show it is and it appeals to some, but many traditional comic fans hold it to disdain as they do some of the other pop culture cons.

Odds are, Stan Lee won't be at that show. He's on hiatus from public appearances from what I hear. He need not deal with the drama at this point, doesn't need the money, is too senile to appreciate the fandom, isn't the charismatic speaker and personality he once was, so I think it's time for him to hang it up and leave everyone with the vibrant memory of the engaging personality he once was.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
wickedliquids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
Silicon Valley Comic Con is one of the weakest of shows outside of Wizard World for comics, it's a pop culture event, and an expensive one like a lame version of Creation Conventions. The predecessor, The Big Wow Comic Fest was an awesome show, and what Steve Woz did in creating SVCC was build a lame brand and destroying a known quality show by changing the very things that made that show successful.

You can probably google search reviews on the SVCC and read what type of show it is and it appeals to some, but many traditional comic fans hold it to disdain as they do some of the other pop culture cons.

Odds are, Stan Lee won't be at that show. He's on hiatus from public appearances from what I hear. He need not deal with the drama at this point, doesn't need the money, is too senile to appreciate the fandom, isn't the charismatic speaker and personality he once was, so I think it's time for him to hang it up and leave everyone with the vibrant memory of the engaging personality he once was.

This is close to summing it up. I went to Big Wow for the first time before it transitioned to SVCC. Big Wow was fun...SVCC was irritating. Not as many comic vendors as I had anticipated; Woz was clearly trying to make it more of a "modern" type of event, mimicking a comic show/ pop culture event, but adding a science and technology spin to it, with the technology being a VR station located in the middle of the showroom floor. Mind you, that was the first year that Woz ran it.

It was a cruddy, god-awful mess; lines were long, cars were broken into (there's a large parking lot about a block away from the center and when my wife and I were walking to the con from the parking lot, broken windows everywhere!).

And when we finally got in (nearly 2 hours later), it looked exactly like Big Wow, but with the tech stuff added - most of the same vendors as well. The only improvement I really saw was the panels and guests - he bought in quite a few more.

That was 2 years ago I think...haven't been back since; got no deals on books. But did get to meet AH so that was neat...but when I say "meet," I should say more like "see" him...dude wouldn't talk to anyone and was speaking through his wife.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #12
TOMBB25

Confirmed Stan Lee is coming, Stan even made a video to the guests. Well that's one positive.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
cardbooker

Wish I could go, but I've already made other plans. Krysten Ritter (Jessica Jones) was announced too. Pretty solid lineup now.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #14
TOMBB25

Went yesterday to the Con, I thought it was great. It was mostly comic related and not as much other stuff. It was fairly well run, check in was chaotic, there was just a lot of people there. I was surprised how much bigger it was than SFCC, I didn't realize it would be double the size.

My kid had a great time too, I think it is just overwhelming for him, so much stuff to look at and I haven't really got him to grasp the collecting aspect of toys and comics.

I did get Katie Sackhoff's auto on a Lt. Starbuck pop, she was very nice and chatted with everyone. I was surprised at the line for some peopl (25 people in line for Katie Sackhoff and 2 people in line for Christina Ricci).

We didn't get a Stan Lee auto, but when we were in line, he went right by us in his wheelchair on the way to the con, my son spotted him and we got withing 7-8 feet of him as he went by us in the line, so it was cool just to see him in person.

Hope some others on here got a chance to go, looking forward to SFCC in June and then back to this event next year.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #15
goggletan215

It was my 6 year old son Luke’s first con and he had a blast taking pics with all the cosplayers. It was also my first in a long time (last time was when wondercon was still in SF).

The registration line was huge but luckily got through it within about an hour.
Not as many comic dealers as I thought there’d be but there were still plenty. Really cool to see all the toys and costume pieces as well as all the artists. I picked up a nice display case for $60 and I installed it in Luke’s room where he immediately put all his Star Wars figurines and vinylmations into.

Unfortunately because of how long the line was to get tix, we couldnt get a tix in time to get an autograph with Ian McDiarmid (which aside from Stan lee was the only one we wanted to see).
At the end of the day, we were walking back to our car, and there he was, standing right next to us at the crosswalk. We asked to take a pic with him but he said No unfortunately. Luke was a little disappointed but I told him he was probably tired from the day.
I understand he’s a regular guy trying to just go on with his life after work and doesn’t want to be bothered by us fans but it still stung a little to see Luke disappointed. Oh well, I think Luke understood.

And nothing a bacon wrapped hot dog and popsicle won’t cure for after the con.

All in all, had a great time. We’ll be going again for sure in the future.
goggletan215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #16
Phanos

Unfortunately Stan NEEDS to go. He has had so many people rip him off over the years that I'm sure he needs the cash to pay for medical bills.. Trust me guys, being in your 50s and up sucks because you are at the doctor SO much more and paying to have tests for everything. Sometimes I just want to throw my wallet on the counter at the doctor's and say leave me $20 for gas to put in my car...

Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote