Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Comics

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS OTHER HOBBY TALK > ComicBookJunkie

Notices

ComicBookJunkie Post your Comic Hobby Talk

Old 04-12-2018, 03:06 AM   #1
MisterNatural

Default Let's give Stan a break..

By now I'm sure most of you have heard the sad saga about Stan Lee's current condition/situation.

And, then Bleeding Cool and other sites posted this very sad video.
It's pathetic and disgraceful IMHO...all the vultures picking at this poor 95 year old legend. He deserves better, just like any of our elders do. You can hear people in that video being pushy about where he signs their books, like they don't even care about his suffering.

So, yes, this is sort of a rant, but don't you think it's time we give it a rest and let this man rest? And, I understand that maybe most of the people in line weren't aware of his condition when they signed up, but I don't think I could be a part of that, even if I had to lose a couple hundred bucks to walk away.

*Plus, I think there's enough Stan Lee signed books out there on the 'bay for everyone that needs one and their kids, at this point.

Last edited by MisterNatural; 04-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.
MisterNatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #2
Phanos

The creator of so many beloved characters reduced to an autograph machine!!! It's so sad to see people like him, Jack Kirby, so many creators not being able to live with dignity! I am honored to have met him nearly 10 years ago when he was happy and spry. Smiling and shaking hands and talking.....
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
IndySportsCards

Wow, after seeing this, I'm not going to do any more Stan Lee signings. Let the man rest I say.
IndySportsCards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
UD40

That video is disgusting! Not sure how some people look themselves in the mirror everyday.
UD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
stlcardinalfan

Very sad. He deserves better!!

My Want Lists: http://stlcardinalfan.webs.com/

My Photobucket: http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/stlcardinalfan/
stlcardinalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #6
DigsUT

My god, Lee's daughter is a complete piece of human garbage. Along with the cavalcade of feces she surrounds herself with. That was the saddest thing I have read in some time.
D'Onta Foreman HOOK'EM!
DigsUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
goggletan215

Aww, I’m saddened to read about what’s been going on with him.
goggletan215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
Donkaylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanos View Post
the creator of so many beloved characters reduced to an autograph machine!!! It's so sad to see people like him, jack kirby, so many creators not being able to live with dignity! I am honored to have met him nearly 10 years ago when he was happy and spry. Smiling and shaking hands and talking.....

me too, twenty years ago, but never had him sign anything. Very talkative, enjoyed what he was doing.

Geez, cant you see he needs attention and joy for the remainder of his life? He has worked hard enough and has left a legacy.

And.........a frickin sub shop? You cannot be serious.
Donkaylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
shrevecity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37k8s_MJtlY

This was posted a couple of hours ago.

True or not, the man is 95 years old its time for him to get a well deserved rest.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
jdandns

Well, I think there will be a lot more scrutiny regarding his health and appearance at future shows. Obviously, like most comic fans, I have a lot of love and admiration for this man. I hope he is well.

For those who didn't have time to read the whole article, this is pretty striking, regarding Lee's daughter, J.C...

"While J.C. isn't talking now, she self-published a picture-book memoir in 2015 that provides a window into her me-against-the-world thinking. She describes how on Long Island her parents spoiled her with a playhouse replete with bunk beds, toys and a working fireplace. One day, she recalls, the neighbor's children and their friends destroyed it, leaving her crying. "It was a good lesson about people," she writes. "They didn't want me to have something they didn't have, and they still don't. It's still quite a battle. And I have the same opponents, they're just older."
Old 04-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
refuse24

So sad to see this happen to Stan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
refuse24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #12
Hilfiger1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySportsCards View Post
Wow, after seeing this, I'm not going to do any more Stan Lee signings. Let the man rest I say.
Honorable of you indy, but there's hundreds behind you that still will for greed...this industry has turned into one big Cash cow... people complain about print runs of the old day but people didn't get comics graded in droves brand new...the industry is garbage I'm about done with it...

Money is the root of all evil...

http://s1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/Hilfiger1975

Last edited by Hilfiger1975; 04-12-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Hilfiger1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
nicepakryan

Was planning on picking up a Stan autographed comic recently until I seen this. So instead of an auto, I picked up a Spider-Man #361 CGC 9.6!
nicepakryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:19 AM   #14
Stat Monsters

Stan Lee is a legend who will be remembered in the same spirit as Walt Disney, but I think his contribution might be even greater in that Disney himself created Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and then a few other support characters, then the Disney company took pre-existing properties like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc and made them into modern classics. Stan Lee on the other hand has co-created so many characters and built a company, Marvel, that then created new popular characters. Stan Lee is the founding father of super hero comic book characters, in a Mt. Rushmore that might include others like Siegel/Shuster (Superman creators); and Bob Kane (Batman creator), but unlke those DC Comic creators who were "one hit wonders" never to create another iconic character, Stan Lee had a successful career spanning decades.

So, when folks talk about how many books he signed and the vast supply that exists, it's mainly due to the fact that there's so much demand and in years to come, the available inventory will shrink as books go into private collections. Then many generations in the future, I'm sure they'll always retain their value if not increase more, and are not flash-in-the-pan investments like these new "variant" covers or hot for now characters being created without much inspiration like Muslim Ms Marvel, Ethnic Spider-Man, Asian Hulk, Female Thor, Iron Man Black Girl, Red Goblin, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Female Wolverine, etc.

Stan Lee hasn't fully gotten the recognition he deserves for his contributions and only when he passes will the public realize how much he's created, and beyond being a writer, his charismatic personality brought life to the Marvel Comics brand with him as their spokesperson.
Stat Monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:34 AM   #15
Phanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat Monsters View Post
Stan Lee is a legend who will be remembered in the same spirit as Walt Disney, but I think his contribution might be even greater in that Disney himself created Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and then a few other support characters, then the Disney company took pre-existing properties like Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, etc and made them into modern classics. Stan Lee on the other hand has co-created so many characters and built a company, Marvel, that then created new popular characters. Stan Lee is the founding father of super hero comic book characters, in a Mt. Rushmore that might include others like Siegel/Shuster (Superman creators); and Bob Kane (Batman creator), but unlike those DC Comic creators who were "one hit wonders" never to create another iconic character, Stan Lee had a successful career spanning decades.

So, when folks talk about how many books he signed and the vast supply that exists, it's mainly due to the fact that there's so much demand and in years to come, the available inventory will shrink as books go into private collections. Then many generations in the future, I'm sure they'll always retain their value if not increase more, and are not flash-in-the-pan investments like these new "variant" covers or hot for now characters being created without much inspiration like Muslim Ms Marvel, Ethnic Spider-Man, Asian Hulk, Female Thor, Iron Man Black Girl, Red Goblin, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Female Wolverine, etc.

Stan Lee hasn't fully gotten the recognition he deserves for his contributions and only when he passes will the public realize how much he's created, and beyond being a writer, his charismatic personality brought life to the Marvel Comics brand with him as their spokesperson.
Its so so SAD! When I read stories about how Jack "KING" Kirby died with just his head above water and having to work even in his old age. His estate wasn't awarded ANY MONEY until 10 years after his death..... Chris Claremont was going to leave MARVEL for IMAGE BUT MARVEL offered to pay him NOT to write anything if it's not for Marvel but he does get a check if he writes or not but just imagine guys IF he did go to IMAGE... The characters he would have created......

Stan Lee co-created and created so many characters and now can't even enjoy his twilight years and his estate in shambles... Can anyone explain to me why the visionaries of the old days get screwed over while BIG CORPORATE GIANTS have more money than they could spend... To spend on expensive cars, women, mansions, and booze.... When they didn't create so much as a stick figure! It's just not right.... These men should have the financial comfort of George Lucas and Steven Spielberg!

Corporate Greed! Just Wrong!

Last edited by Phanos; 04-13-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Phanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #16
monkeymcgee

It's not just corporate greed--that is just accelerant on the fire.

You have greed from his family, greed from the fans, and let's face it: Stan has some greed as well.

As our hobbies have become cash cows and major corporations get involved, you have to understand they only have loyalty to their shareholders. They don't care about fans or collectors any more than they need you to keep buying their stuff. They will find more and more ways to satisfy the greed of those shareholders.

This is not new and it will not stop. I'm sure there are some indie folks out there who'd never sell out, but most would given the opportunity. I can't fault them for that, but still I hope it doesn't happen to something you really enjoy that's small and awesome because it really sucks when it does.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #17
Cyber Warrior

Did anyone see his latest video saying all of this isnt true? I dont believe he's telling all the truth ...a picture speaks a thousand words.. but here he is... http://people.com/movies/stan-lee-de...of-his-assets/

Last edited by Cyber Warrior; 04-13-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Cyber Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote